Ares Games

Thread: Things That Walk into Museums

Default Things That Walk into Museums

Fellow Pilots,
    I have been a bit under the weather lately, and not doing my usual Wednesday volunteering at the Comox Air Force Museum. However, people there obviously know me, and when a donation appeared last week, I got an email.

The Museum has had to screening donations from people, as they tend to show up with all sorts of stuff. Lamentably, it is usually because the younger generations don't want the momento(s) collected by veterans that have passed on. History is going into the trash bins for want of people who understand its value. This can be uniforms, medals, photographs, documents and all sorts of other things.

Other times, we get people with junk they think is valuable, but is of no use to the Museum and its mandate of commemorating West Coast Military Aviation.

This time, it was not a historical relic, nor something that was used by the air force in operations. It wasn't even something that represented the historical period of the Museum, which is actually short, as that period starts in the early 1900s, but really only has context after the start of WWII and the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan, or the Aleutians Campaign. This item represented combat in WWI, and was a game published in 1980.

The person making the donation was doing a renovation on a house in the Comox Valley, and found it in one of the walls. Not wanting to throw it in the dumpster, the individual decided to see if the Air Force Museum might want it. The short answer was, No! It wasn't a historical artifact, nor related to West Coast Military Aviation. However, the staff member said... There could be a volunteer in the Museum that might really like to have it, if the donator was willing to provide it with the understanding it was not to be accepted by the Museum. The donator said if it would be going to a good home, that was great. That resulted in the staff member sending me that email.

This is what I picked up today:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200124_AceOfAcesCover.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	281258

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200124_AceOfAcesBooks.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	281257

It is in pretty good condition for a game published 40 years ago, and has done well, sealed in a wall for however many years. And, Yes! It has gone to a very loving home, where it will be cherished.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Fun game. I played it countless times when it came out.

I owned a copy of this game. When I saw the cover, I had a little flashback. Each player would pick a move and it would cross reference to a page for the result. It would be something like a picture of the enemy bearing down on you from your 9 o’clock.

Great little windfall Mike.
    There are perks to being a volunteer after all.
    Well deserved sir.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Seen this time ago on FB Solitaire War Games page

That's nice. Found in a wall you say ?
    Wonder if the renovator will find the owner's remains in another one - clearly his SWMBO must have done away with him !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Ooh very nice, I remember first playing that at school

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Lovely 'find', Mike! I echo others' comments about it being a wonderful little game, and so unique at the time, too - the view from the cockpit was a tremendous 'hook' for me. Hope you enjoy playing...

All the best,
    Matt

Oh, that brings back memories. Unfortunately, my copy of that particular edition disappeared years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Oh, that brings back memories. Unfortunately, my copy of that particular edition disappeared years ago.
    Sam,
    Any renos going on in your home at the time your game disappeared?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

You can find out more of the game at http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/ace.htm

At least someone thought of now throwing it away and someone else thought of you so it found a good home.

Piqued my interest enough to snag one from eBay.

I must be the only 'Dromer who never encountered this in my youth.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Sam,
    Any renos going on in your home at the time your game disappeared?
    No, I was on vacation when it disappeared. Either I left it behind, or it fell out of my backpack/luggage, or some such.
    Last edited by zenlizard; 01-26-2020 at 07:20.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Tim, if you don't get a chance to play it before you come out for Origins, I have a copy of a couple of the modules and we can give it a go, if you'd like I am sure we will be able tofit it in somewhere to your busy schedule!

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Tim, if you don't get a chance to play it before you come out for Origins, I have a copy of a couple of the modules and we can give it a go, if you'd like I am sure we will be able tofit it in somewhere to your busy schedule!

All the best,
    Matt
    Certainly!

But not straight after a visit to that "killer Bourbon bar" you mentioned - I wouldn't want to embarrass myself!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. To Walk or not
    By Baxter in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-21-2017, 19:13
  2. Aviation museums around LA
    By Honza in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-02-2013, 00:22
  3. Washington Air Museums
    By ptownhiker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4