Ares Games

Thread: Looking for - WGF115C Fokker D.VII, Rudolph Stark

Cool Looking for - WGF115C Fokker D.VII, Rudolph Stark

Brand new player. Brand new to the forum. I understand the D.VII ‘s are hard to come by. Though I have yet to play my first game, I have 8 aircraft, 2 game mats, and some sweet accessories from the Aerodrome Shop. Yes, I may be a little obsessive. Just got a Duel Pack from a little game shop in Italy, because I had to have it. Man, did that take a long time to find. I love the history aspect of the game. As soon as I saw the Fokker D.VII in Stark colors, I knew I had to have one.

So, anyone want to sell one or have a lead?

Hey! Always nice to see a new comrade in the air!
    I fully understand your obsession, espacially with the D7, it's just a beauty. As long as you only want one of the D7s, you may be lucky with finding one here but don't count on it. I've looked for years on ebay and amazon, there was not one single D7.
    If you're interested in painting models, maybe shapeway models are the way to go. I've bought two D7s (along with Zeros and Me262s) from them, painted them and printed out the cards for it. This is not the real deal, but it's better than nothing
    Good luck!

Welcome to the 'drome, Jeffery!
    Can't help with the plane, but do you ever sound like me.

I ran into Wings of War, after work had kept me out of gaming for a few years. Did I fall hard. I couldn't find planes, then, except online, for way too much money. I started making paper models. Then, scouring small shops and hobby stores in obscure places, I was lucky enough to pick up an occasional peg queen (including William Barker's Sopwith Snipe in a fairly large shop in a big city!).

Wings of Glory planes are not as easy to find, now, unfortunately, unless you are looking for specific planes as a series is produced.

Best of luck in you search, and hope you stick with the game. It is more than worth your time.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Welcome to the 'Drome, Jeffery!

I know I'm an ocean away, but I might be able to fix you up with a 'Stark' if you have no luck closer to home.

Give it a few days, then drop me a PM if you are still in need.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

I realize that I literally joined a group of fellow obsessed gamers/collectors and am asking if anyone wants to part with one of their babies, but the thrill of the hunt is almost as fun as the game. You don't know if you don't ask.

At least I have played the game now as I conned my wife into playing two games last night. "Grudgingly" might be the most kind word I could apply. Sure, I now have to change the cat boxes for two weeks in a row, but I finally got to play. Turns out she has some good spatial sensibilities. After picking my Udet Albatross D.VA because it was pretty, she chased my Sopwith Camel all over the board! I "let" her win the first one, but trounced her in the second. After which she declared me a child who should put away my childish things. The she ordered some board game called "Wingspan" which much to my disappointment, is about birds. Attracting birds, feeding birds... what the hell?

I just found out the Col Hajj actually lives in my town and there may be a gamer store in which there are occasional games. What are the odds that THE MAN would live in my town?! I guess it's that I live in HIS town.

Anyway, I'll follow up on any leads provided on the Stark. Expectations are low. I did see two D.VII's on ebay last night (Goering and Udet) but between $100 and $125, I'll save my money for the Stark.

JEffery;
    Let be check the basement Sunday. I'll see whats' hiding there.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Welcome to the 'Drome!

Karl, you have my full attention .

Quote Originally Posted by Fix View Post
    I've looked for years on ebay and amazon, there was not one single D7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    I did see two D.VII's on ebay last night (Goering and Udet) but between $100 and $125, I'll save my money for the Stark.
    Oh, come on... I stand corrected...

But hey, there is another Göring from the UK for just 80 €...

Let me rephrase myself: They are -usually- hard to come by and -for the most part- quite expensive

Don't worry Fix... I write research papers for a living, so my Google-Fu skills are strong. I found a Spad/Albatross Duel Pack in a little shop in Italy for $30 USD. Last night I found a site in Portugal selling overstocks and they had 95 units of WW23F Pflaz D.IIIa (Holtzem) for 20 € per. These are the Wings of War Series IV planes. It was about 7 pages deep in Google search results and in Portugese. I'm trying to get an email response from them now. My language skills are crap. I was literally on the site on my iPad, using my iPhone to Google translate.

There was a time when I considered anything past the first page of search results as the "Dark Web"!
    Last edited by Von Scharf; 02-01-2020 at 07:22. Reason: This site appears sketchy - avoid?

Oberleutnant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

Hi,

I think this is a fake shop. Just search fot the mail adress: service@customerservicesglobal.com and you will get more infos.

It is the same as:
    https://www.total-oblivion.com/index...ducts_id=25265

were you can buy a Albatros D III (Brumowski)

Karl, you have my full attention .
    Found one, Jeff. Send me a PM.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Alfgard View Post
    Hi,

I think this is a fake shop. Just search fot the mail adress: service@customerservicesglobal.com and you will get more infos.

It is the same as:
    https://www.total-oblivion.com/index...ducts_id=25265

were you can buy a Albatros D III (Brumowski)
    First clue: Brumowski for any price.
    Second clue: if I read the page correctly, '72' available? Really? Not a chance!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Found one, Jeff. Send me a PM.
    Karl
    You are a gentleman and a scholar. PayPal sent.

I don’t think I can make it out to Origins in June as I’ll be in Europe (I had to look up this Origins thing as everyone references it, but no one ever indicated where or what it was - pretty freaking cool!) but I will see you at Origins 2021 and your getting an adult beverage or two. I have to go see about booking a room now for 2021, it’s insane!

well done Jeff. great bunch of people on here. oh look, just over the horizon comes another must have plane and so it continues. Welcome. I was new in October and already have had to get a bigger box for the models

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    ... I was new in October and already have had to get a bigger box for the models
    Thanks Ian. You are so right. I just started in January. I retired from the rat race on 31 Dec, 2019. Well more semi-retired as my company made an offer I couldn't refuse (yet). But I digress as usual...

I just ordered a dozen aircraft from Keith last night, before they too become hard to find. Using some of the resources online here, I'm able to know which aircraft match up well in battle stats and era. I have yet to figure out what my plane storage concept will be, but I better get to it!

Thanks Ian. You are so right. I just started in January. I retired from the rat race on 31 Dec, 2019. Well more semi-retired as my company made an offer I couldn't refuse (yet). But I digress as usual...

I just ordered a dozen aircraft from Keith last night, before they too become hard to find. Using some of the resources online here, I'm able to know which aircraft match up well in battle stats and era. I have yet to figure out what my plane storage concept will be, but I better get to it!
    I've got a list of "ooh got to have 1/2/3 of those" but having to sit on my hands and go no where near the credit card as things like damp proofing and car insurance get in the way of my money but one day, they shall be mine

I know that one Iain. I'm still looking for a D7,watching the ones on Ebay going into orbit price wise. May just have to get the old modeling gear out.

You are so right, Mick. I’m watching about 5 different D7’s on eBay. Three of them are on your side of the pond. The asking prices are... well they are stupid. I was at least satisfied to see that no one paid over $68 USD for one and many of the higher priced listings are going unsold and getting re-listed.

I just bought some Shapeways D.VIIs for $6 per. They don’t have the little bit of engine detail of the Ares, but they are darn close. I am going to practice priming, painting and applying some decals. Haven’t modeled in 40 years... but for that kind of money... I can throw them away until I get it right!

Oberleutnant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

The D VII are really hard to find. I got the luck to get a Goering and a Udet.

For me it seems like that the "Schaefer" Modell is really rare. Didnt see one since I started playing and colleting at the beginning december 2019.

Also the Albatros D.III Brumowski is not to find anywhere...

Jeff, I'm going to give the Valom kits a go. I picked up a D7 box for £8,they have 2 models in them so worth a try.

If you just want to paint up some planes but not have to put the model together there are lots of options from Shapeways. One piece planes with a prop to place on most. Some the prop is already on them. WGF (WWI) Shapeways list 'HERE'.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerops View Post
    Jeff, I'm going to give the Valom kits a go. I picked up a D7 box for £8,they have 2 models in them so worth a try.
    I’d like a report on that... maybe a pic if you have time. I see a number of folks here have made and painted Valoms. I’d like to hear a first timer report.

I must confess I sniped a Focker D.VII Sachsenberg on UK EBay yesterday for £41. It’s been claimed that I have more funds than smarts. I’m watching eBay worldwide, for an Udet D.VII (just like Alfgard’s avatar!). They are out there but the sellers want a fortune. I’ve been thinking of a repaint of every bird Udet flew in WWI - another repaint dream from a guy who has yet to do a repaint.

Ahh, it was you that sniped,curse you red baron I gave up on it when it reached £39. The Sopwith Triplane went north of £60.
    I will see what I can do re a report once i've finished therapy on my hand,tried low level sky diving off the motorbike, not my best idea.
    Did get a nice birthday prezzie off the wife though, a nice Schafer D7 it was missing a card,so thanks to Peter for helping with that.

Ahh, it was you that sniped,curse you red baron I gave up on it when it reached £39. The Sopwith Triplane went north of £60.
    I will see what I can do re a report once i've finished therapy on my hand,tried low level sky diving off the motorbike, not my best idea.
    Did get a nice birthday prezzie off the wife though, a nice Schafer D7 it was missing a card,so thanks to Peter for helping with that.
    Aw man, sorry about that. If I’d known it was a forum mate who got their first, I would have backed off. Now that I engage my brain, I suppose anyone chasing the “hard to finds” at high values is probably one of us! But you got a Schafer, which in my hunting is the hardest D.VII to find. I’ve seen precisely one listing, whereas you can find Goering the easiest, Starks and Sachsenbergs and Udets I’ve seen a few times each. But none are cheap!

Good luck with therapy. I’m in same from foot surgery. Got busted up in Antarctica and tried to “rub some dirt on it and walk it off” while strolling around New Zealand for 2 weeks. That didn’t go so well.

I’d like a report on that... maybe a pic if you have time. I see a number of folks here have made and painted Valoms. I’d like to hear a first timer report.

I must confess I sniped a Focker D.VII Sachsenberg on UK EBay yesterday for £41. It’s been claimed that I have more funds than smarts. I’m watching eBay worldwide, for an Udet D.VII (just like Alfgard’s avatar!). They are out there but the sellers want a fortune. I’ve been thinking of a repaint of every bird Udet flew in WWI - another repaint dream from a guy who has yet to do a repaint.
    Hi Jeff,

I've only been playing WoG for just a year. I too faced the problem of many planes not available so I started buying Valom kits. If you want a first timer report, here's the one I did for my first kit, two Fokker E.III.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...okker-EIII-set

A bit of a horror story. At one point nearly chucked the planes against the wall but I persisted. I have done a lot more now and you can see them on my album for Valom kits. At first my idea was to build planes to match the Nexus / Ares ones I couldn't get. Now it's to do interesting paint schemes that Nexus / Ares haven't done.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/al...p?albumid=4332

I also have an album on Shapeways models.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Hi Jeff,

I've only been playing WoG for just a year. I too faced the problem of many planes not available so I started buying Valom kits. If you want a first timer report, here's the one I did for my first kit, two Fokker E.III.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...okker-EIII-set

A bit of a horror story. At one point nearly chucked the planes against the wall but I persisted. I have done a lot more now and you can see them on my album for Valom kits. At first my idea was to build planes to match the Nexus / Ares ones I couldn't get. Now it's to do interesting paint schemes that Nexus / Ares haven't done.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/al...p?albumid=4332

I also have an album on Shapeways models.
    Thanks Paul. That was an interesting read on your first construction. I had perused your albums when I saw your last two Albatros paints (the red and the green). Heck of a painter! If you have only been at this for a year, you must be cranking out a dozen beauties a month. Well done.

I guess it is time to stop talking about it and get to it. As me dad always says, “Son, that ditch ain’t gonna dig itself”. He’s a retired fighter pilot - never dug a ditch in his life.

As me dad always says, “Son, that ditch ain’t gonna dig itself”. He’s a retired fighter pilot - never dug a ditch in his life.

Thanks Paul. That was an interesting read on your first construction. I had perused your albums when I saw your last two Albatros paints (the red and the green). Heck of a painter! If you have only been at this for a year, you must be cranking out a dozen beauties a month. Well done.

I guess it is time to stop talking about it and get to it. As me dad always says, “Son, that ditch ain’t gonna dig itself”. He’s a retired fighter pilot - never dug a ditch in his life.
    But I'm thinking you did a lot of ditch digging for your dad.

Not a problem Jeff, getting busted in Antarctica and walking it off in NZ,good going. Sure beats coming off the bike and riding another 400 miles. Best wishes for a speedy foot recovery.
    Closest to Antarctica i've been is the Falklands, 4 months at Her Majesties pleasure doing ops work for the then SAR squadron.
    I've seen that Goering one listed at £69 on the bay,good luck with that chap.

Aw man, sorry about that. If I’d known it was a forum mate who got their first, I would have backed off. Now that I engage my brain, I suppose anyone chasing the “hard to finds” at high values is probably one of us! But you got a Schafer, which in my hunting is the hardest D.VII to find. I’ve seen precisely one listing, whereas you can find Goering the easiest, Starks and Sachsenbergs and Udets I’ve seen a few times each. But none are cheap!

Good luck with therapy. I’m in same from foot surgery. Got busted up in Antarctica and tried to “rub some dirt on it and walk it off” while strolling around New Zealand for 2 weeks. That didn’t go so well.

Not a problem Jeff, getting busted in Antarctica and walking it off in NZ,good going. Sure beats coming off the bike and riding another 400 miles. Best wishes for a speedy foot recovery.
    Closest to Antarctica i've been is the Falklands, 4 months at Her Majesties pleasure doing ops work for the then SAR squadron.
    I've seen that Goering one listed at £69 on the bay,good luck with that chap.
    You rode 400 miles after crashing? You must be one tough so and so!

My injury was actually in the workplace. I work for the US Antarctic Program and got blown over in 70 knot winds. 7 days later, we were able to get a C-17 in and I redeployed. Weather drives everything down there. We have offices in Christchurch, so I spent some more work days there until I realized it wasn’t going to improve and flew back to the states.

We send some of our research vessels to the Falklands on occasion and help with search and rescue in the area on occasion. Small world.

Not tough Jeff, just crazy

OK tigerops and ShadowDragon, you have both inspired me to give it a go. Time to dig that ditch

I have 4 Shapeways and 4 Valom D.VIIs. The Valom kits came with 4 bonus Spad XIIIs, which I shall use for practice assembly, prep, masking, painting and applying decals. (Leaves a couple to throw against the wall). Paints, decals and other kit on the way. This ought to be sporty.

OK tigerops and ShadowDragon, you have both inspired me to give it a go. Time to dig that ditch

I have 4 Shapeways and 4 Valom D.VIIs. The Valom kits came with 4 bonus Spad XIIIs, which I shall use for practice assembly, prep, masking, painting and applying decals. (Leaves a couple to throw against the wall). Paints, decals and other kit on the way. This ought to be sporty.

you sir, have my best wishes and deepest condolences lol

Welcome aboard Von Scharf! You can't find a better group of pilots anywhere on the net.

Thomas

Oops! We're in for it now, Mick.

Jeff, you might want to check out Florian's (Karo7's) post on building an SE5a. I found it useful. Florian knows what he's doing.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-the-WGF-style

Some tips:

1) Don't worry about losing the photo-etched bits - and you will lose some - you can always replace them with wire, paper clips, etc. Some throw the p-e stuff away and just use wire / clips (see Rob's / Flying Officer Kyte's posts in the 'How To' section).

2) Do go to a beading store and get a very good set of tweezers - the ones the beading crowd use to pick up tiny beads. You will not regret it.

3) Place a tissue or something over the p-e piece you're cutting out. They do have a tendency to go 'ping' as they launch themselves into earth orbit. It must be as I've seldom found the ones that go 'ping'.

4) I put the cabane struts in after the upper wing is in place. The only cabane strut I've found it useful to put in before is the inverted 'v' on the Nieuports. So I put on the outer struts and align by Mark I Eyeball (for the most part), then (when the glue is set) the upper wing and finally the cabane struts. Sometimes the p-e ones aren't long enough. If so, then cut ones the right length from wire and use those. Don't worry if the cabane struts aren't 'in' the holes for them on the bottom side of the upper wing. Some kits don't have those holes. In some kits the holes are not symmetrical. In some kits they're too far out. I've stopped worrying about them. Just place the struts so they look right. Note: this is where those beading tweezers come in to their own.

5) Do think ahead about parts that will be difficult to paint or decal after the model is finished. Do those parts at an appropriate stage when you can easily do the job and then varnish afterwards to protect that bit while assembling the rest of the kit. I 'discovered' this while trying to put decals on the topside of a lower wing of a triplane. Needed 4 hands. Fortunately my wife obliged. The real advice here is 'think ahead' and anticipate difficult steps and come up with a solution to do it easier.

6) Start drafting the outline for your best selling book, "Zen and the Art of Valom Kit Building".

Excellent tips. I already got the good tweezers and a decent bench clamp magnifier with some lighting. My eyes are not what they used to be, so those were the first two things that came to mind. I have some SPAD XIII decal sets from Riversco and found color plates for those planes on-line. Guess I'll be starting with some French 5 color camo! There were even helpful posts here on what Vallejo colors can be used for the 5 colors. Just about every question I had has been answered in here somewhere. Except for:

Vallejo has primer in a boozillian colors... if I prime in my main color, can I just freehand the other 4 colors? There are no straight lines in French 5 camo, so I THINK I know the answer

Into the deep end!

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Welcome aboard Von Scharf! You can't find a better group of pilots anywhere on the net.

Thomas
    Thank you Thomas. I completely agree. The people here are helpful, creative and inspiring. After joining in January, I've collected all the Ares/Nexus miniatures I had my eye on. Now there is only one place to turn... repaint or build/paint your own. Or as we say in Colorado... roll your own.

Hmmm, it does look like that Paul. Good tips there old chap.

Hmmm, it does look like that Paul. Good tips there old chap.
    OK, Mick - remember, it's not a race. We are striving for quality ... or at least to maintain our sanity at the conclusion of this little science experiment.

What D.VII do you have in mind for your first effort?

Similar Missions

1. Rudolph Hess.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-13-2015, 15:02
  2. WSF Fokker DVII flown by Rudolph Stark
    By PFactorDave in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-03-2013, 19:05
  3. a 1916 British Sopwith Camel, designed by Rudolph de Harak
    By boomerpete53 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3