Ares Games

Thread: SIm flight testing now open! If you think a plane has the wrong speed, post it here!

Default SIm flight testing now open! If you think a plane has the wrong speed, post it here!

With the highly detailed flight sim Rise of Flight now installed and working, I can test the top speed in level flight at various altitudes for most of the aircraft in WoG. If there's any planes you disagree/aren't sure of the correct speed band for, post it here.

Some initial results:
    EDIT: Ignore
    Pfalz D.IIIa tops out at 175 kph; likely average speed, and J deck is correct.
    Fokker D.VIII barely breaks 180 kph - not an N deck.
    Sopwith triplane should definitely use the D deck, not the U deck - it's only 1-2 kph faster than the Dr.I, and tops out at 169 kph.
    Handly-Page 0/400 - can't maintain altitude at 2000 meters with a full (2000 lb I think) bomb load; at 1000 meters it can. Of course they might well carried that much regularity as a result!

EDIT: The game includes very use speed/altitude info for all the planes in that game, which agree with generally accepted figures, but the actual in-game speeds are considered highly inaccurate. So never mind flight test data.

ACTUAL figures from the very useful speed/altitude tables: (more to come)
    Fokker D.VIII does not get the N deck.
    Sopwith triplane is about the same speed or faster than the camel, and certainly DOES get the U deck.
    Gotha is slow. It's actually the slowest of the giants in WoG when both card arrow and base length are taken into account, so that's correct.
    The Felixstowe is fast, along with the 0/400, which is also how they are in WoG. The Felixstowe is quite maneuverable for something it's size as well, which is why it's XC deck has 45 degree turns.

The Fokker D.VIIF with the BMW engine is a beast. Basically take a regular Fokker D.VII, increase it to A deck speed, keep the 90 degree turns, stalls and stall turns as-is, and give it some sort of rules for high altitude.
    Last edited by BraselC5048; 01-17-2020 at 19:07.

Interesting findings on the Sopwith Triplane. Not that the information is the best, but the Sopwith Triplane (Clerget 9B-engine) on Wikipedia is listed at 187 kph, and faster than a Sopwith Camel (same engine) at 182 kph.

The Fokker Dr.1 is given a top speed of 160 kph.

Why the difference in Rise of Flight?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

It seems there are two basic problems with my flight testing. First, I don't really understand how the game works and somebody else did it far better. (You have to log elsewhere in to view them, and I don't feel I can repost them are.) Second, it seems that the speeds in the game are considered pretty far off in a bunch of cases, so the data isn't really usable. They 'did' list a set of speed/altitudes for each plane on its info plane, which actually do agree with generally accepted figures and do prove very useful, but don't match any in-game flight dynamics. So never mind.

The Fokker D.VIII doesn't use the N deck in game - that is a post war option for Polish aircraft with a different engine - it uses the M deck which is within the fast speed band it should be. The version sold is the earlier Fokker E.V with the F deck.
    The differing results for the Sopwith Tripe might be explained by which Clerget engine was used for testing - the earlier 110hp or the later 130hp.

"He is wise who watches"

I have been involved with RoF for nearly 10 years. It's a wonderful sim, but please be assured that there are many issues raised with regard to the performance representation of the aircraft in it. It's far from perfect, even though it's a great sim. IMHO, Wings of War/ Glory has done a fine job of approximating / abstracting the relative speed differences between these designs in a way that suits a tabletop miniatures game.

Anyways, congrats on RoF and I hope it brings you many hours of joy, as it has me.

Salute!

Quote Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
    I have been involved with RoF for nearly 10 years. It's a wonderful sim, but please be assured that there are many issues raised with regard to the performance representation of the aircraft in it. It's far from perfect, even though it's a great sim. IMHO, Wings of War/ Glory has done a fine job of approximating / abstracting the relative speed differences between these designs in a way that suits a tabletop miniatures game.

Anyways, congrats on RoF and I hope it brings you many hours of joy, as it has me.

Salute!
    I agree with you on all points(Especially about rise of flight)
    S!

Hi,
    I missed the boat a little on this. Where do I go to test this. Sounds neat!

Here's the link to the site to download the flight sim
    https://riseofflight.com/

Just click on the play for free button, If you have trouble, go to the Rise of Flight Forum and ask your question there.
    Last edited by Future Pilot; 02-03-2020 at 08:37.

Looks interesting, off to download

If you have any questions about it, PM Cole (Hotlead_Coldfeet) or I about it.

Similar Missions

1. Flight of the Giants: Friedrichshafen Plane/Maneuver cards?
    By Karo7 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-14-2019, 13:14
  2. Getting Plane Names Wrong
    By Ginarley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 09-06-2015, 06:50
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-24-2014, 02:28
  4. Flight Testing Berlin (Personal Letters Max Eckhart)
    By Algynon in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-08-2012, 09:04
  5. Testing the rules for direction of flight.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-25-2012, 18:50