Ares Games

Thread: RAF SE5 vs SE5a

Default RAF SE5 vs SE5a

Hi all,

I am currently looking at this plane for my next purchase and note that there is a slight difference with regards to the SE5 and the SE5a, which is a slightly later plane and has a faster speed.

I have been trying to find online a comparison of the two different decks but haven't any luck just yet.

Can I ask you fine fellows what the in-game differences are between the two and which you prefer and why? (I don't use altitude rules)

They use slightly different maneuver decks, but that's not a whole lot of difference otherwise. Got to dash off to work at the moment, might be able to get the details later.

William,

I believe you can find here what you need:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...l=1#post518660

Thanks a lot, it looks like the SE5 uses the Fr deck, which has more of its turns as being steep.

Quote Originally Posted by william1134 View Post
    ...Can I ask you fine fellows what the in-game differences are between the two and which you prefer and why?...
    As you've seen there is a difference in speed William - the SE5a being one of the two fastest planes in the game uses the N deck, the SE.5 the Fr deck
    They both have sharp steep turns & wide sideslips but the SE5 has a pair of steep standard sideslips too.
    The main disadvantage for both being that if you're wounded you cannot fire after a steep move so it can seriously reduce your options in combat.
    I prefer the SE5a because it has less steeps and it has the legs to outrun or overhaul anything... But I bought both !
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...Aircraft-lt-lt
    Last edited by flash; 01-13-2020 at 11:25.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    As you've seen there is a difference in speed William - the SE5a being one of the two fastest planes in the game uses the N deck, the SE.5 the Fr deck
    They both have sharp steep turns & wide sideslips but the SE5 has a pair of steep standard sideslips too.
    The main disadvantage for both being that if you're wounded you cannot fire after a steep move so it can seriously reduce your options in combat.
    I prefer the SE5a because it has less steeps and it has the legs to outrun or overhaul anything... But I bought both !
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...Aircraft-lt-lt
    Just in case

eheh, well I went ahead and bought the SE5.A just due to the additional options it gives you.
    While I am on the subject I bought the Mccullen version, which has a big G all over it. Any idea what the G is for?

The G is so that the other pilots he's flying with can recognize the plane and know that it's him.

There is that but it also denotes which flight he belongs to and who the flight leader is.
    Most squadrons had individual aircraft markings, which can be a mixture of letters for some flights and numbers for others or all letters.
    eg No. 79 Sqn. 'A' Flt: A, B, C, D, E, F; 'B' Flt: G, H, J, K, L, M; 'C' Flt: N, O, P, Q, R, S. Extra aircraft on strength had letters including U, V and X.
    Of course later bigger squadrons would have used more letters & numbers for each flight and shifted them along.
    There were variances, as there are in all things, in font, size, colour location an so on. I'm sure there are eye-watering expensive books on the subject !

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks Flash for the explanation!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    There is that but it also denotes which flight he belongs to and who the flight leader is.
    Most squadrons had individual aircraft markings, which can be a mixture of letters for some flights and numbers for others or all letters.
    eg No. 79 Sqn. 'A' Flt: A, B, C, D, E, F; 'B' Flt: G, H, J, K, L, M; 'C' Flt: N, O, P, Q, R, S. Extra aircraft on strength had letters including U, V and X.
    Of course later bigger squadrons would have used more letters & numbers for each flight and shifted them along.
    There were variances, as there are in all things, in font, size, colour location an so on. I'm sure there are eye-watering expensive books on the subject !

Thanks for this! In No Parachute, Arthur Lee griped about having an X on his plane (thought it looked too much like an iron cross), which had me wondering what the rules of lettering were.

Similar Missions

1. The £84 SE5a
    By 'Warspite' in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-16-2016, 23:43
  2. SE5a
    By SgtRock57 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-01-2016, 18:15
  3. Some SE5a
    By Boney10 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 16