Ares Games

Thread: They Finally Arrived - Raptors and Heavy Raiders

Default They Finally Arrived - Raptors and Heavy Raiders

Finally, finally got my Raptors and Heavy Raiders.

It took a while for my FLGS to say they couldn't get them in. By that time, a few online sources were sold out. Fould a source with decent Canadian prices, and ordered. It was just before Christmas, so they didn't ship until the New Year. Canada Post delivered a week shorter than their estimate. Yay, Canada Post!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShipsParcelComp.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	293.1 KB 
ID:	280187

The models are really, really nice.

Name:	ShipsPacksComp.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	280186

The cards are another issue. I was prepared for the Heavy Raider maneuver deck misprint. I wasn't ready for the other issues.

- SAR Raptor with no Pilot Card, just a modified Pilot Token. Don't know what to say about that. May need to create a card for SKULLS.
    - Assault Raptor with no Pilot Card, just a modified Pilot Token. Create a card for RACETRACK?
    - No rear-firing guns on the Raptor? There were rear-firing guns on a few of them, and I was expecting to see something in these ships. Darn.
    - Missing Auto-cannons gear card in the Veteran Heavy Raider ship? Seriously?
    - The Transport Heavy Raider has a pilot card with Exceptional Gunner, but only one Firing Talent to go with it? This is actually the same type of thing as in the Starter Set. The AI Level 5 Pilot card in that set has Exeptional Gunner and Sharpshooter. A waste of an assigned Talent.
    - The Captured Heavy Raider card has Cylon DRADIS icons, in Red, not Colonial Blue (OK, that might be picky, but that's me. I've uploaded a corrected card in my Battlestar Galactica Album.).
    - The Captured Heavy Raider doesn't come with a Cylon Pilot card. OK, perhaps this is by design, as it isn't in the same category as Starbuck salvaging an enemy ship to get home. But, after noticing the DRADIS icon on the Heavy Raider, I checked the Captured Raider card. It has Red DRADIS Icons on it, too. Depending on when the ship is flown, it should have Blue. Initially, in the scenario where Starbuck is coming home, the ship would be identified as an enemy, and be marked Red. But, once she was identified, and anytime after that it is flown by Colonial Pilots, that DRADIS icon should be Blue. Another Raider card to make.
    Note: I have already created a Cylon Heavy Raider Pilot card, so I have a Number Six pilot ready to go.

No rules for missiles. OK, I knew that was coming, too, as I have seen comments from others, while I waited. That will be an interesting expansion set.

I'm still happy to have the ships.

Thread Updated: General Overview of Released Minis - Battlestar Galactica - Post #3
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Awesome glad you got them! I’m missing the SAR Raptor and the Veteran Heavy Raider. Stinks about some of the omitted cards. We eagerly await your deck strips for them , they rock!

I thought it strange the veteran heavy raider didn't have the auto-cannons. What's with that? Also the no missile rules, thats another bummer. Well, at least we have some cool new ships to fly. The rest we can take care of for now.

Nice to see you got your goodies Mike. I just got one of each and am wondering about scenarios. I have one idea churning around about Planet or rather Planetoid conquest, but would be interested to see what you play with yours.

I am glad that your ships finally arrived, Mike.

Do all heavy raider variants have the same maneuver deck mistake? If so, I'm not going to bother buying any of them.

Parden my ignorance as I'm still to fly any of my nice new models but what is the glitch with the heavy raider card deck please?

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Springbohne

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Parden my ignorance as I'm still to fly any of my nice new models but what is the glitch with the heavy raider card deck please?

Neil
    Maneuver card 6 has wrong arrows. It should be a mirror image of maneuver card 7.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    Do all heavy raider variants have the same maneuver deck mistake? If so, I'm not going to bother buying any of them.
    All of mine have it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    - No rear-firing guns on the Raptor? There were rear-firing guns on a few of them, and I was expecting to see something in these ships. Darn.
    I think only the raptor model from the Blood & Chrome movie has a rear gun, which looks different to the ones Ares released in this wave.

Got my Raptor and Heavy raider before Xmas, haven't even unboxed them yet.

Will do when I get home tonight.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    All ships of the same type fly the same maneuver deck. So, a misprint will affect all of that type in the current release.

It occassionally happens that a card is missing in a deck, due to a problem in manufacturing. Ares has been very good in dealing with those incidents. Where the entire run has a misprint, it is too expensive for a small company, with minimal profit margins, to replace an entire run. Like the Tripods & Triplanes Cuttlefish maneuver decks, where they just declared the misprint a 'feature' of the type.

In this instance, they have a card replacement in a self-printed erratta you can download from the Ares website. Personally, looking at the offending card, the difference is 'almost' negligable, and I think any difference could be similar to bad placement or jostling. So, I'm gonna overlook it. Anyone who can game a single maneuver to their advantage in the few games they might play with a Heavy Raider is welcome to it. We aren't in a situation where we are playing tournaments for money (yet).
    Mike

Neil
    Maneuver card #6 is the same as a Raider left turn card, and not the mirror to the Heavy Raider #7 right turn. To my eye, the 1 arrow is longer (faster) and the 3 arrow is smaller compared to the Heavy Raider right turn card. But, really not much. Up to you if you want to fuss about it. I'm gonna try playing without printing a replacement.

Options for the situation:
    1. Play with it as is. See if it really matters.
    2. Print the replacement:
    a. On thin paper, glue to the existing card;
    b. Keep the replacement aside, using the misprint during planning, so your opponent can't tell, but use the reprint to move the mini.
    3. Wait for the ship to be re-issued, when the current ships sell out.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Springbohne View Post

I think only the raptor model from the Blood & Chrome movie has a rear gun, which looks different to the ones Ares released in this wave.
    My memory is fuzzy, but I thought I saw a Raptor shoot something tailing them in an episode. I might be mixing TV shows up ( Buck Rogers, BSG-TOS, who-knows-what). And I heard rumors of this capability being worked into the game.
    Mike

Neil
    It looks like the Heavy Raider has rotary thrusters and can turn sharper to the right!

Here is the errata card to fix the left turn so it matches the right.

Name:	Heavy Raider errata cxard.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	280276

Quote Originally Posted by SavageGM View Post
    Awesome glad you got them! I’m missing the SAR Raptor and the Veteran Heavy Raider. Stinks about some of the omitted cards. We eagerly await your deck strips for them , they rock!
    Latest deck strips in the moderation queue. I added a bit of visual interest to the maneuver deck strips, this time. Hope you like it.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Nice to see you got your goodies Mike. I just got one of each and am wondering about scenarios. I have one idea churning around about Planet or rather Planetoid conquest, but would be interested to see what you play with yours.
    The 'Looking for Water' scenario that Ares has for download is a blast. The Orbiting Planetoid won our game, though (Link: 'Looking For Water' Scenario Trial - the Planetiod Won!. I used a playtest mock-up for that game, as I didn't have these guys, yet.

And the question about the tail gunner in that AAR is now answered. The official versions wouldn't have changed anything, as it turns out.
    Mike

More research, and Ares has more ships to make!

I found some info on the armed Raptor. As Dennis [Springbohne] said above, it was the Blood & Chrome version that I remember.

Bus Raptor

Name:	Raptor_CylonWar_WildWeazel_zNbTLdk.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	280293

Name:	Raptor_CylonWar_Rear.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	280295

Tail gun mount:

Name:	Raptor_CylonWar_Tailgun.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	280294
    Image Source: Digitally efx'd Geometry site - Featured Work
    Info Source: Battlestar Wikiclone - Raptor

The tail gun is a remotely-operated turret controlled by the second crew person. It will take watching the show again to see how it worked. However, I can only assume from the images on the source site that there is a "stowed" position and an "active/deployed" position that is not as limiting as the structure of the underside of the Raptor makes it appear in the static images.
    Mike

Springbohne

It seems Ares is already working on the Blood & Chrome Raptor. They showed a work-in-progress model on their facebook page, back in october.

Quote Originally Posted by Springbohne View Post
    It seems Ares is already working on the Blood & Chrome Raptor. They showed a work-in-progress model on their facebook page, back in october.
    Frakkin' Facebook! It is a shame that Ares uses it, instead of its web page to make announcements.

However, yes. There was a sneak peek on 14 October 2019:

Name:	Raptor_CylonWar_AresPrototype.PNG 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	280344

This is the Raptor Bus, or Flying Pillbox of the Cylon Wars. The remote turret is buried in all the stuff in the bottom, just forward of the tail, and under the engine area. Not really visible (without paint) is the rear canopy, very much like a tail gunner position on a british-style bomber.

PS: This model is also carrying missiles on under wing pylons!
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 01-11-2020 at 17:06.
    Mike

Frakkin' Facebook! It is a shame that Ares uses it, instead of its web page to make announcements.

However, yes. There was a sneak peek on 14 October 2019:

Name:	Raptor_CylonWar_AresPrototype.PNG 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	280344

This is the Raptor Bus, or Flying Pillbox of the Cylon Wars. The remote turret is buried in all the stuff in the bottom, just forward of the tail, and under the engine area. Not really visible (without paint) is the rear canopy, very much like a tail gunner position on a british-style bomber.

PS: This model is also carrying missiles on under wing pylons!
    Surprise! I have seen this version playtested in Prague. A photo of the card and model are on this post: Cylon Heavy Raiders and Raptors pics and prices - Post # 31 (The Raptor (CW) image)

I could do up a card, I suppose. Though, I'd have to put the rear arc on the stand by hand to use it.
    Mike

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christian
    Sorties Flown

Finally, finally got my Raptors and Heavy Raiders.

It took a while for my FLGS to say they couldn't get them in. By that time, a few online sources were sold out. Fould a source with decent Canadian prices, and ordered. It was just before Christmas, so they didn't ship until the New Year. Canada Post delivered a week shorter than their estimate. Yay, Canada Post!

Name:	ShipsParcelComp.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	293.1 KB 
ID:	280187

The models are really, really nice.

Name:	ShipsPacksComp.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	280186

The cards are another issue. I was prepared for the Heavy Raider maneuver deck misprint. I wasn't ready for the other issues.

- SAR Raptor with no Pilot Card, just a modified Pilot Token. Don't know what to say about that. May need to create a card for SKULLS.
    - Assault Raptor with no Pilot Card, just a modified Pilot Token. Create a card for RACETRACK?
    - Missing Auto-cannons gear card in the Veteran Heavy Raider ship? Seriously?
    - The Transport Heavy Raider has a pilot card with Exceptional Gunner, but only one Firing Talent to go with it? This is actually the same type of thing as in the Starter Set. The AI Level 5 Pilot card in that set has Exeptional Gunner and Sharpshooter. A waste of an assigned Talent.
    - The Captured Heavy Raider card has Cylon DRADIS icons, in Red, not Colonial Blue (OK, that might be picky, but that's me. I've uploaded a corrected card in my Battlestar Galactica Album.).
    - The Captured Heavy Raider doesn't come with a Cylon Pilot card. OK, perhaps this is by design, as it isn't in the same category as Starbuck salvaging an enemy ship to get home. But, after noticing the DRADIS icon on the Heavy Raider, I checked the Captured Raider card. It has Red DRADIS Icons on it, too. Depending on when the ship is flown, it should have Blue. Initially, in the scenario where Starbuck is coming home, the ship would be identified as an enemy, and be marked Red. But, once she was identified, and anytime after that it is flown by Colonial Pilots, that DRADIS icon should be Blue. Another Raider card to make.
    Note: I have already created a Cylon Heavy Raider Pilot card, so I have a Number Six pilot ready to go.

No rules for missiles. OK, I knew that was coming, too, as I have seen comments from others, while I waited. That will be an interesting expansion set.

I'm still happy to have the ships.

Thread Updated: General Overview of Released Minis - Battlestar Galactica - Post #3
    I think Exceptional Gunner on the heavy raider as with other strange talent combos are for flaws that give you a talent of choice. The missing auto cannon cost me $30, since I bought another heavy for the card...I thought it was designed that way until I read ares website and the veteran brags about tri auto cannons. Why not on the errata doc? Funny because Andrea answered you on board game geek and only brought up rear raptor guns...Ares web sight still says vet comes with cannons...the funny thing is I kept looking around to see if the missle card fell on the ground as the heavy vet came with nothing new!
    Last edited by MajorBorris; 04-14-2020 at 05:46.

Similar Missions

1. Heavy Raiders & Raptors at GenCon
    By Marechallannes in forum BSG: General Discussions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-25-2019, 16:21
  2. Cylon Heavy Raiders and Raptors, pics and prices
    By Oberst Hajj in forum BSG: General Discussions
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 04-30-2019, 10:42
  3. Different Raiders!
    By Rory in forum BSG: General Discussions
    Replies: 7