Ares Games

Thread: Stall/Short Straight

Default Stall/Short Straight

I was wondering, why is the short movement the same length in the Bristol F2B as the Rumpler? I was thinking the Bristol's should be longer due to it's higher speed.

It is hard to say for those not looking at performance charts, why a particular plane's maneuver deck has the maneuvers it does.

You can't use the fast speed of a plane to gage that airframe's slow speed. There are many factors involved. Perhaps a given plane has a lot of power on its engine, overcoming considerable drag, but when the power is off, the plane slows disporportionately to another plane.

Some planes had ailerons on both upper and lower wings, where others only had ailerons on the upper wings. This could explain why some planes have wider sideslips than others, regardless of speed.

I just look at the deck, and try to ensure I use it to my best advantage, and trust the game designer got it right.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    I was wondering, why is the short movement the same length in the Bristol F2B as the Rumpler? I was thinking the Bristol's should be longer due to it's higher speed.
    This looks like research for tonight's scenario!

Loads of variables as Mike says, not forgetting that in this game speeds are banded and it's likely that many, if not all, of the aircraft had their stall speed within the band selected by Andrea - which looks to be less than 100kph/60mph.
    All the decks have the same length stall card - eg: E deck is the same as N deck.

"He is wise who watches"

I just look at the deck, and try to ensure I use it to my best advantage, and trust the game designer got it right.[/QUOTE]

^^^^^this^^^^^

Found this today - the pilot's approach speed in the Brisfit was 55mph so the stall speed is below that - the stall card speed seems to fit in this case.
    By comparison the stall speed of an Eindecker is 28mph (45 km/h) according to wiki, so may not fit so well.
    https://haa-uk.aero/document/flying-...istol-fighter/

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. WW2 Fire damage and straight cards
    By Rabscallion in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-01-2019, 09:16
  2. National: Keeping minis straight
    By AZTiger98 in forum US Wing
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-03-2015, 23:06
  3. Stall für Dummies