Ares Games

Thread: 1917 The Film

Default 1917 The Film

For what it is worth, the film 1917 won the best drama motion picture award last night at the Golden Globe Awards ceremony. These awards are voted by the writers of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. It also won Best Director and Best Score. In past years the Golden Globes were considered a predictor of the Oscars (Academy Awards).

I have been told it is pretty good. On my bucket list of movies.

I want to see it on Friday, the 10th of January.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Should be out Friday here so on my list for that day. Good to go to a morning show since few people are there.

definitely looks interesting.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I'm looking forward to seeing it, too The trailer I've seen is somewhat confusing (as trailers often are), so I look foward to the actual movie's portrayal of events. I shall have to see if I can convince a couple of fellow pilots to tag along...

All the best,
    Matt

I wouldn't mind tagging along.

I was going to go over the holidays, but the closest theater showing at the time was an art-house theater in DC. Since it is now in general release, the missus and I will be taking the kids to see it over the weekend.

Not sure I would take kids to see 1917. The producers usually go for gruesome realism to drive home the message and young impressionable minds ...........

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Let's chat Saturday about it, Dan - between plotting and playing...

All the best,
    Matt

Looking forward to this one. Even think I will manage to have my wife’s company on this one..
    The trailers look impressive..

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

I would like to see this film too, when it comes out.

Saw it tonight with my wife at the Cinemax. I see why it's winning prizes. Great acting, direction and cinematography. Will make you jump and your heart pound. Gruesome and bleak, not a movie for kids.

Do we really need yet another gruesome and bleak war movie? Everyone knows about WWI.

Yes, we need! Reading about or be teached about it is just flow of informations and it is fine to feel as much as possible be in to avoid such "troubles" in future.

Quote Originally Posted by zippyfusenet View Post
    Gruesome and bleak, not a movie for kids.
    Maybe kids should see the horrors of war...

At least it's a new film rather than a remake of some classic.

"He is wise who watches"

Not satisfied with new Midway, Dave? I can understand it - I was waiting most of the time for well known scenes and replicas and...there weren't there. Surprise!

Just got back from seeing it. A wonderful piece of film making -- the entire 2 hour film seemed like one continuous shot -- I'm not sure how Sam Mendes did that. Set decoration, costumes, locations, etc. were wonderful. The plot was a bit predictable -- the hero quest tale retold. It does seem to make a secondary point about the pointlessness of war. The really interesting part was that the story line for the film was suggested by stories that Sam Mendes grandfather (a WW I vet) told Mendes when he was young. Interesting and riveting film -- I recommend it.

Sam Mendes used very long 'takes' when filming the movie. That may be why it seems like one continuous shot.

I watched a behind-the-scenes documentary in which it was made clear that the film was carefully and deliberately shot in such a way as to produce the one-long-take result.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I saw it yesterday - a wonderful film (and as I found out afterwards, one in which a friend played a small part, as one of the squaddies in the opening scenes). It was good to see a WW1 film that didn't descend into Blackadder-esque tropes (a general in the front line? surely Colin Firth / Erinmore should have been safely tucked away in a chateau? In fact Lt Colonels and above suffered somewhere around 20% casualties, higher proportions than enlisted men). And previous film makers would have easily had Congleton Sandbach / Col Mackenzie go ahead with the attack <spoiler alert>. I heard a radio interview with Sam Mendez on Thursday afternoon (which is what prompted me to go and see it so quickly). The story is inspired by a similar but apparently less hazardous mission that his grandfather undertook during his time on the Western Front.

My son just saw this!!! He liked it a lot!!!

Heading out soon to see this tonight. All the reviews are good so looking forward to it.

Just got back from the theater. Excellent movie. What everyone said above. Well worth the $$. I'll be interested in seeing the documentary on the making of.

Cat's Eyes (Lex) and me are going to watch it tomorrow morning ... in IMAX !
    Really looking forward to it, let's see if it matches (or go beyond) my expectations ...
    cheers,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Just got back, wow what a film. The technicalities of how they made it seem like a continuous shot defies belief. Well worth it’s 10 Oscar nominations, however really surprised that the young lad in the lead role didn’t get an acting nomination... bit of a travesty if you ask me.
    Great film, I encourage everyone to go and see it. Outstanding piece of film making

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark1430 View Post
    Cat's Eyes (Lex) and me are going to watch it tomorrow morning ... in IMAX !
    Really looking forward to it, let's see if it matches (or go beyond) my expectations ...
    cheers,
    Guus
    GREAT movie !! Definitely worth seeing (again ?)
    cheers,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Saw it last night too, my daughter treated me & she'd seen it once already ! It's very well done & well worth seeing.

"He is wise who watches"

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Had the chance to see this on Sunday with several of the lads from our WoG group - outstanding movie! Amazing photography, great attention to detail. Loved the ending It deserves all the accolades it has received.

See it if you have the chance.

All the best,
    Matt

I saw it today. Having seen so many war films I was not expecting it to be any good, and had almost made up my mind to dislike it beforehand. It actually was really good, well filmed, and I can recommend it. If you have not seen it you should!

Similar Missions

1. Has anyone seen this film?
    By 7eat51 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-27-2015, 17:56
  2. Wings (film)
    By Kermit in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-16-2013, 23:35
  3. WW1 film
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 10