Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2020 Cold Wars

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Had my flu shots so all is good with me. See you Thursday.
    Thanks, good to know Bob. Glad you look after yourself and others!

I plan on arriving before 5. Check in across the street, have something to eat and then find an empty table in Distelfink and set up some Martians.

See you there.

Just received an email from HMGS and this was part of the mail

HMGS Safety & Health Strategy:

•We ask that Cold Wars 2020 be a handshake-free convention and recommend a fist bump or elbow tap.
    •Personal hand sanitizers that contain 62% isopropyl alcohol will be distributed at the Convention registration desk.
    •Hand Sanitizer dispensers that contain 70% isopropyl alcohol will be located throughout the building.
    •Basic hygiene reminders will be included around the convention
    •Safety signs and placards will be displayed prominently throughout the venue.

Looks like they are trying to help keep things safe.

Just received an email from HMGS and this was part of the mail

HMGS Safety & Health Strategy:

•We ask that Cold Wars 2020 be a handshake-free convention and recommend a fist bump or elbow tap.
    •Personal hand sanitizers that contain 62% isopropyl alcohol will be distributed at the Convention registration desk.
    •Hand Sanitizer dispensers that contain 70% isopropyl alcohol will be located throughout the building.
    •Basic hygiene reminders will be included around the convention
    •Safety signs and placards will be displayed prominently throughout the venue.

Looks like they are trying to help keep things safe.
    This is a very good thing. I hope this continues at all conventions from here on out, not just because of Covid-19.

That is a great thought. Funny no one has thought of this before even during flu season. For me these are things I do all year long. Good thing I get those supplies year round.

You guys have a good time; really missing not going this year, but.....life

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    You guys have a good time; really missing not going this year, but.....life

Karl
    We'll do our best and we'll catch up with you at Origins.

You guys all take care, that bug going around is NOT a flu, it is MUCH worse and can be not good for us older folk. If you are not feeling well DO NOT GO, if you are sneezing At least wear a mask, and if you even think you may have been exposed to CV19 by all means protect your friends and stay away. Many think it is not an issue, not so sure on that. Many think it is not that bad, well in the 80 years plus range it Kills around 8%, 70 range 5% and 60's range 3%. Just watch your 6 guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    You guys all take care, that bug going around is NOT a flu, it is MUCH worse and can be not good for us older folk. If you are not feeling well DO NOT GO, if you are sneezing At least wear a mask, and if you even think you may have been exposed to CV19 by all means protect your friends and stay away. Many think it is not an issue, not so sure on that. Many think it is not that bad, well in the 80 years plus range it Kills around 8%, 70 range 5% and 60's range 3%. Just watch your 6 guys.
    Yes, this is nothing to ignore. I'll be telling anyone coughing, sneezing, runny nose... to leave. The venue will be amply supplied with hand sanitizer which I'll have everyone use before the games begin.

Just received an email from Wyndham (the Host) about what they are doing. Its long but here it is.

Hello Robert,

As we all follow the impact of the coronavirus (COVID‑19), we want you to know that your safety is our top priority. As a member of our Wyndham family, we appreciate the trust you place in us and are taking steps to maintain our high standards of safety and cleanliness.

With your well-being in mind, we have provided the thousands of independently-owned and operated franchised hotels in our network and our managed and owned properties worldwide with helpful guidelines and information provided by the World Health Organization(WHO) and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) detailing how to identify COVID‑19 symptoms and mitigate its transmission, as well as guidance on how to handle and report suspected or confirmed cases of COVID‑19.

We have also partnered with third parties, including Ecolab and other suppliers, to provide our hotels with access to industry-standard cleaning and disinfecting supplies, and we have made training available to support our franchisees and our managed and ownedhotels in achieving the highest standards of cleanliness, disinfection and hygiene in all areas.

We are monitoring this ever-changing situation closely. Built on our Count on Me service culture and our core values of integrity and accountability, our dedicated and experienced team is focusing its efforts on the safety and well-being of all of our guestsand team members – and on delivering great experiences to you. With each new day and new piece of information, we are keeping these values in mind with every decision we make.

We understand you have some decisions to make too. You may be wondering if now is a good time to plan a vacation, visit your friends and family, or get away for a long weekend. We encourage you to consider the guidance provided by the WHO and CDC to make theright travel decisions for you and your family.

We’re here to help. Our mission is to make hotel travel possible for all, and that becomes especially important during times of uncertainty. Wyndham’s cancellation policies for direct bookings are among the most flexible in the hotel industry. Thousands ofour hotels honor no-fee cancellations up to 6 p.m. on the day of arrival and all of our properties are required to accommodate non-cancellable rate reservation changes if the request is received at least 48 hours prior to arrival and the same number of roomnights or more are booked for a future stay.

We don’t want you to worry if your plans change. We want you to know you can book with confidence when you book with Wyndham.

We look forward to extending a warm Wyndham Welcome to you at one of our hotels soon.

Sincerely,

Hi Bob,

Following the latest news over the last few days has not been reassuring.

At the moment I'm very seriously considering not going. The risk is not worth it in the big picture. There will always be another convention later. I haven't cancelled my games or room yet. I want to talk to my room mate first but haven't been able to get in touch with him.

Sorry to hear that. We are heading up tomorrow. If you get there see you tomorrow if not take care.

As of last night it is here in Michigan now without a doubt (suspected for weeks but nothing official). For good information watch Dr Campbell on You Tube, he is a English doctor who uses official peer reviewed sources and does a nightly update. Use him as a baseline for anything else you see or hear.

Sorry to announce this but I will not be attending Cold Wars. I don't see the risk at the moment to be worth it. My track record is about 50/50 of catching something at a convention from a non-Corvid-19 virus year. There will always be more conventions. Hopefully by Origins this will all be in the rear view mirror.

Sorry to any that planned on attending my games. As far as I know Mike is still running his 3 WGS Midway games on Saturday.

To all that attend, have fun and take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Sorry to announce this but I will not be attending Cold Wars. I don't see the risk at the moment to be worth it. My track record is about 50/50 of catching something at a convention from a non-Corvid-19 virus year. There will always be more conventions. Hopefully by Origins this will all be in the rear view mirror.

Sorry to any that planned on attending my games. As far as I know Mike is still running his 3 WGS Midway games on Saturday.

Hello everyone

As of Thursday morning, I am still planning on going and running some games. There are a few factors I am considering at this point. But it looks like unless the con is canceled I will be going. (My son Sean has to drive back to Rochester Sunday night to pick up stuff from his dorm room and he has an internship job interview on Monday).

I hope to see you there but if not we all understand.
    Be safe and see you this weekend.

Mike

If you don't have your health, you don't have anything.

Just canceled my Poker Night for this weekend. Considering canceling my Board Game night for end of May (as attendance looks to be poor anyway). And my company just postponed my retirement party, with my blessing. I definitely postponed my river cruise on the Daube until next year.

Extreme? Maybe, but I"m in a more severely impacted age group and there is still much we don't understand here. Mitigate risk, I say.

Hello everyone

After a lengthy discussion with my wife and considering the pros and cons of travel to cold wars this year, it is not worth the risk. While I may be reasonably young, I would not want to be a carrier of the virus to or from cold wars.

I hope everyone will understands.

I am planning on going to historicon this summer and will have midway to play then.

Thanks again

Mike

I saw Pete's post this morning and was up and down on going. Then I watched the news and saw all the things being cancelled so as with others I cancelled my room and am staying home. I see all the things being canceled so as with you I think it is the best thing. Yesterday I went to the commissary on Ft. Meade and of all things there was very little toilet paper. I did hear that this is becoming a scarce item. I hope to see all at Historicon.

Bob

It is crazy how fast TP is flying off the shelf. We get 3 to 4 pallets of it everyday and people are buying it just as fast as we can put it out.

I might bring midway to one of the gritty goblin games for us to play.

Quote Originally Posted by mikejr74 View Post
    Bob

It is crazy how fast TP is flying off the shelf. We get 3 to 4 pallets of it everyday and people are buying it just as fast as we can put it out.
    Here's why.

Name:  TP cartoon.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  78.7 KB
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    If you don't have your health, you don't have anything.

Just canceled my Poker Night for this weekend. Considering canceling my Board Game night for end of May (as attendance looks to be poor anyway). And my company just postponed my retirement party, with my blessing. I definitely postponed my river cruise on the Daube until next year.

Extreme? Maybe, but I"m in a more severely impacted age group and there is still much we don't understand here. Mitigate risk, I say.
    I'm in my mid 60s so maybe not in the highest risk group but I don't want to be part of the big problem and carry anything back with me. Time to just stay away from large gatherings for a while. There are always more conventions to game at over the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by mikejr74 View Post
    Hello everyone

After a lengthy discussion with my wife and considering the pros and cons of travel to cold wars this year, it is not worth the risk. While I may be reasonably young, I would not want to be a carrier of the virus to or from cold wars.

I hope everyone will understands.

I am planning on going to historicon this summer and will have midway to play then.

Thanks again

Mike
    Good decision Mike. I'm glad to hear you are staying away. We'll do it some other time down the road.

I saw Pete's post this morning and was up and down on going. Then I watched the news and saw all the things being cancelled so as with others I cancelled my room and am staying home. I see all the things being canceled so as with you I think it is the best thing. Yesterday I went to the commissary on Ft. Meade and of all things there was very little toilet paper. I did hear that this is becoming a scarce item. I hope to see all at Historicon.
    Also glad to see you change your mind Bob. For me at the moment these large events aren't worth the risk. I hope by Origins things are under control.

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    Here's why.

Name:  TP cartoon.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  78.7 KB
    Name:  FB_IMG_1583959442837.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  21.3 KB

I was expecting to see the tp piled up to look like the Devil's Tower aka Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

I was expecting to see the tp piled up to look like the Devil's Tower aka Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
    "Close Encounters of the TURD Kind?"

I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    "Close Encounters of the TURD Kind?"

Thats what I should have said butt potty humor wipes the smile off my face.

Sorry to see people are having to shelve their trips but glad to see you guys trying to play it safe. Have a few SCA events I merchant I am going to have to stay away from till mid summer, will see how things play out by June/July and am afraid Pennsic war will be canceled in July/August (10 K campers for 2 weeks). At this point ready to bar the door and roll up the sidewalks for a month or so. Am one of those prepper types so TP ain't a problem...unless the cats find it first. Heck even have a few months of cat food and litter stocked. At this point it is going to lead to shut ins I am afraid so get ready to lock down for a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Sorry to see people are having to shelve their trips but glad to see you guys trying to play it safe. Have a few SCA events I merchant I am going to have to stay away from till mid summer, will see how things play out by June/July and am afraid Pennsic war will be canceled in July/August (10 K campers for 2 weeks). At this point ready to bar the door and roll up the sidewalks for a month or so. Am one of those prepper types so TP ain't a problem...unless the cats find it first. Heck even have a few months of cat food and litter stocked. At this point it is going to lead to shut ins I am afraid so get ready to lock down for a few weeks.
    Ken;
    I assume you heard the Middle Kingdom has canceled all events through the end of March? Including meetings and fighting practices. We'll have to see about April. My home group postponed the event for 4-APR.
    KARL
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Jager, Nope, did not hear that but not surprised. Matter of fact approve of the move as many are clueless collage kids who think they are invulnerable. Expect to see April and May get canceled also.

A friend called from the con and said thing were pretty slow. He got there today about 1430 and there were no lines for check in or registration. People are there but not like the normal crowds.
    Last edited by BobP; 03-13-2020 at 17:37.

A friend called for the con and said thing were pretty slow. He got there today about 1430 and there were no lines for check in or registration. People are there but not like the normal crowds.
    I would expect it to be a much lower than normal attendance with all us old codgers staying away.

Just talked to a friend who is in the dealer area. Things very slow. Some vendors didn't show and some left today. I guess good time for shopping since the crowds are low. I did save not buying things I don't need in the first place.

Sorry to have missed playing a serious WGS game with everyone. As a newbie interested especially in the Pacific theater, I was willing to brave the crowds for the Saturday Midway games. It seems like Historicon will be in Lancaster too (?) so I’ll try to be there if you’re running the Midway games in July. Hopefully the health situation will be improved by then!

Just talked to a friend who is in the dealer area. Things very slow. Some vendors didn't show and some left today. I guess good time for shopping since the crowds are low. I did save not buying things I don't need in the first place.
    Good to not be tempted in more stuff that goes straight into the closet! I did spend today painting/decalling up 4 ME109s so something good came out of not attending.

Quote Originally Posted by JediSmurf View Post
    Sorry to have missed playing a serious WGS game with everyone. As a newbie interested especially in the Pacific theater, I was willing to brave the crowds for the Saturday Midway games. It seems like Historicon will be in Lancaster too (?) so I’ll try to be there if you’re running the Midway games in July. Hopefully the health situation will be improved by then!

The plan is to be at Historicon in July. I am planning on running midway there. I've put quite a bit of work in it so I kinda want to show it off. I am also thinking of making a fun scenario based on one of the old black sheep squadron episodes.

I

Will, Historicon is in Lancaster but in downtown Lancaster at the convention center. Good reports from last year about the place.

Peter I did see those Me 109's. As always great paint job on them. I have an order in with Dave (AIM) and just received an email that he was feeling well and he is backed up on orders. I should be getting mine this week. I will have something different for 1 of the planes so stayed tune.

Mike can't wait for the Midway game so looking forward to playing in it and seeing old friends once more. Besides gives Peter a chance to fly a plane.

Will, Historicon is in Lancaster but in downtown Lancaster at the convention center. Good reports from last year about the place.

Peter I did see those Me 109's. As always great paint job on them. I have an order in with Dave (AIM) and just received an email that he was feeling well and he is backed up on orders. I should be getting mine this week. I will have something different for 1 of the planes so stayed tune.

Mike can't wait for the Midway game so looking forward to playing in it and seeing old friends once more. Besides gives Peter a chance to fly a plane.
    I heard good things about Historicon from last year too. Wish I could go but timing is not good this year.

Bob, I also have an order in with Dave. I asked about the Ki-45. He thinks maybe a few months. He's swamped with BRS orders and has someone else doing some sculpturing for him. I hope to see my order in a week or two.

You guys better take a lot of pictures of the Midway games.

Bob, Peter;
    Is Dave (AiM) replying to email? I sent him an order on the 1st, and a follow up one on the 7th or 8th, with no reply.
    Karl

He sent me an email yesterday that he and his wife had health problems, not sure what, and that he was so behind in all orders. I am sure he will answer you about your order.

My back and forth emails were at the end of Feb. Bobs info is new to me. Hope he and his wife recover from whatever ails them.

Well I saw that ORIGINS has been moved back to Oct. I keep checking about HISTORICON but see nothing about it being cancelled. Have to see how things move along and if I am going to go.

Well I saw that ORIGINS has been moved back to Oct. I keep checking about HISTORICON but see nothing about it being cancelled. Have to see how things move along and if I am going to go.
    They haven't cancelled yet but I myself would not go. Michael hasn't bowed out yet. I don't know if he is running any Wings games. He did mention doing so but he usually runs Battlefront.

Yes I am thinking that way also. Still have some time to cancel my room. I have a room for FALL IN so hope things are better by then.

Yes, this is nothing to ignore. I'll be telling anyone coughing, sneezing, runny nose... to leave. The venue will be amply supplied with hand sanitizer which I'll have everyone use before the games begin.

but what about folks like me that have such symptoms pretty much every day, especially when navigating between temperature changes such as going from chilly air to indoors, or from warm outside air to a/c?

I keep getting email from HMGS about HISTORICON. They are taking events submissions. I see that NJ is on lockdown until mid June. Haven't heard much about PA but went and cancelled my room so looks like no Historicon this year. See how FALL IN goes.

I keep getting email from HMGS about HISTORICON. They are taking events submissions. I see that NJ is on lockdown until mid June. Haven't heard much about PA but went and cancelled my room so looks like no Historicon this year. See how FALL IN goes.
    Yes, fingers crossed for Fall In.

Just received an email from HMGS that HISTORICON has been cancelled. As Peter said hope things get better for FALL IN.

Just received an email from HMGS that HISTORICON has been cancelled. As Peter said hope things get better for FALL IN.
    I just saw this too. I thought this would happen.

As you I thought this would happen since the gov. still has the state staying home until June. That would leave very little time for things to be put in place and still have the distancing we are following. When I went to the commissary last week they took your temp before entering the building and limit the number of people that enter at one time. Good to be there early and one of the first to get TP.

As you I thought this would happen since the gov. still has the state staying home until June. That would leave very little time for things to be put in place and still have the distancing we are following. When I went to the commissary last week they took your temp before entering the building and limit the number of people that enter at one time. Good to be there early and one of the first to get TP.

I'm glad to see everyone safe!! So far so good the family and I are still safe. With all 4 of us working the "frontlines" we have increased odds. It kinda sucks that it is going to be another 6 months before we can get together again. I am working on a few things when time allows being able to play live via zoom. The first couple of attempts required me to go back to the drawing board and upgrade some equipment. If the in house test goes well on Thursday I might be able to run a very small dogfight on Saturday.

I hope everyone stays healthy

Mike

Mike, I do worry for people like you that have to be out there. Too many are not taking this seriously and ignore distancing and masks. Unfortunately they are not just putting themselves at risk.

Stay safe my friend!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. COLD WARS
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-10-2018, 14:36
  2. National: Cold Wars 2016
    By Teaticket in forum US Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2015, 04:36
  3. Cold Wars
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-11-2015, 15:02
  4. Anyone going to Cold Wars this weekend?
    By Carlos von C in forum US Wing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-14-2012, 19:18
  5. Cold Wars
    By BobP in forum US Wing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-04-2011, 09:19