Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cold Wars

Default 2020 Cold Wars

Cold Wars 2020 will be 12-15 March in Lancaster PA.

Cold Wars home page is 'HERE'.

The PEL is up.

Pre-reg will open on Feb 3rd.

This Cold Wars will give you one T&T-WWI game, 2 WWI games, 1 BSG game and 3 WW2 Pacific games to play in.

Games myself and Mike have submitted and are in the schedule are below.

Thursday night Bobp and I will play some T&T wherever we can find a table, probably in Distlefink. Please join in.

F09:196 - Friend or Foe? Friday, 9:00 AM, 2 Hrs, 10 Players GM: Peter Landry Sponsor: None,Prize: None Period: World War I, Scale: 1/144, Rules: Wings of Glory Tripods & Triplanes When the Martians invaded Earth, humanity was in the throes of WWI. When the alien threat was realized the Entente and Central Powers made a loose agreement to combat the invaders. When in the air though it wasn’t totally clear who to fight. Who really is your enemy? Defend the Earth from the Martian invaders and keep one eye on the other side!
    Newcomers welcome. Rules will be taught.

F12:197 - Poking the Enemy in the Eye Friday, 12:00 PM, 2 Hrs, 10 Players GM: Peter Landry Sponsor: None, Prize: None Period: World War I, Scale: 1/144, Rules: Wings of Glory WWI Ariel reconnaissance was the overall objective of all above ground activity. Enemy balloons were prime targets for the flyers of both sides. Depriving the Germans of their balloons in the Verdun sector is today’s mission. Taking out the enemies eyes, even just temporarily, will give much needed relief to the boys on the ground. Balloons look like large easy targets but friendly patrolling scouts, AA guns and machine guns will greet anyone trying to knock out one of the Kaiser’s balloons.

F16:198 - Ready, Action, Camera! Friday, 4:00 PM, 2 Hrs, 10 Players GM: Peter Landry Sponsor: None, Prize: None Period: World War I, Scale: 1/144, Rules: Wings of Glory WWI Up to date information on enemy and friendly dispositions was high on HQs want list every day. Daily photographs were needed to plan the upcoming operations. Every morning and throughout the day the workhorses went out. Not all of them returned. Today’s photography mission sends out the steady RE8s and AW FK8s to do the task at hand. Will the Harry Tates and Big Acks complete the job? That is up to you.
    Newcomers welcome. Rules taught.

F20:199 - An Easy Target Friday, 8:00 PM, 2 Hrs, 10 Players GM: Peter Landry Sponsor: None, Prize: None Period: SciFi, Scale: 1/160, Rules: Battlestar Galactica ARES
    The Colonials have just finished a mining operation and hoped within that minutes to heading back to the fleet. It had been a surprisingly quit operation. A simple quick into the asteroid field, mine the minerals and then back to the fleet before the Cylons noticed. Should be easy. Unfortunately, the Cylons picked up communication signals from the transport on long range sensors and immediately jumped on to the scene. Did I mention asteroids?
    Newcomers welcome. Ruled taught.

Saturday,

S10:172 - Battle of Midway - Attack on Midway 10:00 AM, 3 Hrs, 24 Players GM: Mike Jacobs Sponsor: None, Prize: None Period: World War I, Scale: 1/200, Rules: Wings of Glory The Japanese are on their way! Can The American slow them down or will The Japanese wreck Midway?New and Veteran players welcome. Tickets are preferred walk ups welcome!

S14:173 - Battle of Midway - Attack on the IJN Carriers Saturday, 2:00 PM, 3 Hrs, 24 Players GM: Mike Jacobs Sponsor: None, Prize: None Period: World War I, Scale: 1/200, Rules: Wings of Glory Its time for some Revenge. The Japanese just attacked Midway, and the Japanese fleet has been found. Will the US Kill the carrier group or will the IJN be able to defend itself and get away?New and veteran players welcome. Tickets are preferred but walk ups welcome to join if space permits.

S18:174 - Battle of Midway - Attack on the Yorktown Saturday, 6:00 PM, 2 Hrs, 18 Players GM: Mike Jacobs Sponsor: None, Prize: None Period: World War I, Scale: 1/200, Rules: Wings of Glory The Japanese launched part of its forces and now they are out to get the Yorktown. Will the Yorktown defend itself or get sunk?New and Veteran players welcome. Tickets are preferred but walk ups are welcome if space permits.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 02-01-2020 at 18:30.

Thanks for the update. You know I am in for these games. Will register when that is open on the HMGS site.

Currently planning on going; have to check this weekend about room mate(s).
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I will be heading up on Thursday so will be rested for the Friday games. Will be good to see you there Karl. Went to the HMGS site and PEL for games will be out next week.

I look forward to some interesting AARs from this.
    Especially looking forward to the Midway trio.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    I will be heading up on Thursday so will be rested for the Friday games. Will be good to see you there Karl. Went to the HMGS site and PEL for games will be out next week.
    Keep Thursday night open, Bob. Peter and I might draft you for a play test
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

If you need a dummy to play test I am yours.
    Nah, vee need an schmoot guy!

Karl

Either way I will be happy to be there to playtest your game.

Unfortunately I will not be a Cold Wars this year, but the theme for Historicon 2020 is Aircraft at War. I plan to run a huge Battle of Britain game centered around the event of August 18, 1940, "The Hardest Day". I am thinking six players per side, each controlling 3-4 aircraft. Like I said, HUGE!!. Stay tuned for updates.

https://www.hmgs.org/page/HconHome

Have fun at Cold Wars, and post some battle reports.

Lance, let me know when you plan on running your BoB at Historicon so if I go I won't run a game at the same time.

Glad I found this thread. I'm planning to attend Cold Wars this year. I hope to get into a game or two, and perhaps meet some of you face-to-face.

Hope to see you there Irv. The games that are planned will be great. Peter and Mike both run fun games.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Lance, let me know when you plan on running your BoB at Historicon so if I go I won't run a game at the same time.
    Sounds good. I think the event registration opens in February. I plan to run my game Saturday at 1:00 until 6:00 PM if I can.

Wow, that's going to be a long game! If I do go to Historicon I'll be sure not to run a game at that time, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Wow, that's going to be a long game! If I do go to Historicon I'll be sure not to run a game at that time, thanks.
    The game itself will go four hours. I am factoring in a quick tutorial for people who have never played before, as well as a mission briefing and handing out awards at the end.

Sounds like a great game. have to get a room since I hear that might be hard to do.

There are some rooms at the Holiday Inn 2 blocks from the convention center. Mention HMGS and you get a discount.

Saw that the PEL for Events was supposed to be up on 13 Jan but still don't see anything. Hope it will be up soon.

I see now that the PEL will be up on 27 Jan and registration up in Feb.

Here are the Wings and BSG games that will be at Cold Wars. I'll also update the first post.

Pre-registration will open Feb 3rd.

F09:196 - Friend or Foe? Friday, 9:00 AM, 2 Hrs, 10 Players GM: Peter Landry Sponsor: None,Prize: None Period: World War I, Scale: 1/144, Rules: Wings of Glory Tripods & Triplanes When the Martians invaded Earth, humanity was in the throes of WWI. When the alien threat was realized the Entente and Central Powers made a loose agreement to combat the invaders. When in the air though it wasn’t totally clear who to fight. Who really is your enemy? Defend the Earth from the Martian invaders and keep one eye on the other side!

F12:197 - Poking the Enemy in the Eye Friday, 12:00 PM, 2 Hrs, 10 Players GM: Peter Landry Sponsor: None, Prize: None Period: World War I, Scale: 1/144, Rules: Wings of Glory WWI Ariel reconnaissance was the overall objective of all above ground activity. Enemy balloons were prime targets for the flyers of both sides. Depriving the Germans of their balloons in the Verdun sector is today’s mission. Taking out the enemies eyes, even just temporarily, will give much needed relief to the boys on the ground. Balloons look like large easy targets but friendly patrolling scouts, AA guns and machine guns will greet anyone trying to knock out one of the Kaiser’s balloons.

F16:198 - Ready, Action, Camera! Friday, 4:00 PM, 2 Hrs, 10 Players GM: Peter Landry Sponsor: None, Prize: None Period: World War I, Scale: 1/144, Rules: Wings of Glory WWI Up to date information on enemy and friendly dispositions was high on HQs want list every day. Daily photographs were needed to plan the upcoming operations. Every morning and throughout the day the workhorses went out. Not all of them returned. Today’s photography mission sends out the steady RE8s and AW FK8s to do the task at hand. Will the Harry Tates and Big Acks complete the job? That is up to you.
    Newcomers welcome. Rules taught.

F20:199 - An Easy Target Friday, 8:00 PM, 2 Hrs, 10 Players GM: Peter Landry Sponsor: None, Prize: None Period: SciFi, Scale: 1/160, Rules: Battlestar Galactica ARES
    The Colonials have just finished a mining operation and hoped within that minutes to heading back to the fleet. It had been a surprisingly quit operation. A simple quick into the asteroid field, mine the minerals and then back to the fleet before the Cylons noticed. Should be easy. Unfortunately, the Cylons picked up communication signals from the transport on long range sensors and immediately jumped on to the scene. Did I mention asteroids?
    Newcomers welcome. Ruled taught.

Saturday,

S10:172 - Battle of Midway - Attack on Midway 10:00 AM, 3 Hrs, 24 Players GM: Mike Jacobs Sponsor: None, Prize: None Period: World War I, Scale: 1/200, Rules: Wings of Glory The Japanese are on their way! Can The American slow them down or will The Japanese wreck Midway?New and Veteran players welcome. Tickets are preferred walk ups welcome!

S14:173 - Battle of Midway - Attack on the IJN Carriers Saturday, 2:00 PM, 3 Hrs, 24 Players GM: Mike Jacobs Sponsor: None, Prize: None Period: World War I, Scale: 1/200, Rules: Wings of Glory Its time for some Revenge. The Japanese just attacked Midway, and the Japanese fleet has been found. Will the US Kill the carrier group or will the IJN be able to defend itself and get away?New and veteran players welcome. Tickets are preferred but walk ups welcome to join if space permits.

S18:174 - Battle of Midway - Attack on the Yorktown Saturday, 6:00 PM, 2 Hrs, 18 Players GM: Mike Jacobs Sponsor: None, Prize: None Period: World War I, Scale: 1/200, Rules: Wings of Glory The Japanese launched part of its forces and now they are out to get the Yorktown. Will the Yorktown defend itself or get sunk?New and Veteran players welcome. Tickets are preferred but walk ups are welcome if space permits.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 02-01-2020 at 18:29.

Easier then running through the PEL on the COLD WARS site. Now registration opens in a few days.

Cold Wars online registration is now open!

Thatnks I was going to check later but will register now.

Registration complete for all events. See you there.

Registration complete for all events. See you there.
    Fantastic! Can't wait...but I see no other way, so I will. See you there.

I am seriously grumpy about missing Cold Wars, esp. since Plan B playtest fell through with the car issues.
    Karl

You will be missed my friend. How about a fundraiser to get Jager to COLD WARS ?

I appreciate the thought, but at this point, the money isn't the issue.
    Though if you want to fund raise for next year
    Karl

Just saw where TINWEASEL posted in the WGS that there is a new rule book coming out for MIDWAY. Read the comments by others about this.

Just saw where TINWEASEL posted in the WGS that there is a new rule book coming out for MIDWAY. Read the comments by others about this.
    It's not an official ARES product. ARES has threatened to give us a campaign system but we're still waiting. I Hope it is good.

Brand new to the game and signed up for the first two Midway missions (Saturday). Really excited for the event (I live an hour away). Both my grandfathers fought in the Pacific in WW2, so I've been hunting for every plane that was part of the Pacific theater. Obviously haven't been able to find decent priced Vals, Zeros, Mustangs, Wlldcats, Warhawks. Any advice for how to prep for the event? Should I be bringing anything? Will there be vendors selling WGS, maybe even stuff that's otherwise out of stock? (planes, decks, bags of fighter pegs) I've also been trying to learn the decks--really love the subtle asymmetry--and hunting around for a good introductory tactics guide. Any advice is appreciated!

Hey Will, just show up. Everything needed will be provided by us running the games.

Not sure if any vendors will be there selling Wings. I know 'Cotton Jim' used to carry Wings but not sure if he still does. You may find a plane here and there in the flea market.

If you can paint your own models there are 3rd party options for planes. Movement decks I have scans so you can print your own. Stands will have to be made but its possible.

A new recruit so welcome to the Drome Will. You will have a great time playing in these games. See you in a few weeks.

Thanks for the welcome. I’m tempted to keep gearing up (that’s my instinct) but I’ll try to hold off until these games to see how you experienced folks play first. I’ve also unfortunately bought some single mini boxes that came with the mini damaged during shipping (a wing detached from Doolittle: two biplanes with wing bits disconnected or broken), andNeed to figure out what to do with them. I’m assuming that planes should arrive without damage.

Speaking for myself, I'd fix them. If you play with toy airplanes, they'll often get broken. A dab of glue, maybe a drill and pin, a bit of paint and they're cleared for takeoff again. If there seems to be a problem with the way a vendor ships, I might not buy there again.

A warm welcome from over the pond in waterlogged old England Will.
    We sure ain't sunk yet, but the water is up to the 15 on the dartboard in our local pub.
    I hate drinking watered beer!

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by JediSmurf View Post
    Thanks for the welcome. I’m tempted to keep gearing up (that’s my instinct) but I’ll try to hold off until these games to see how you experienced folks play first. I’ve also unfortunately bought some single mini boxes that came with the mini damaged during shipping (a wing detached from Doolittle: two biplanes with wing bits disconnected or broken), andNeed to figure out what to do with them. I’m assuming that planes should arrive without damage.
    I've had a few planes wings come off. I think the B-25 is prone to this as I've had several with this problem. A dab of glue and you should be good to go. I've had some fighters bodies separate from the wings but it is also just a quick glue fix. I've had only a couple with damaged propellers and I then replace them with the spinning props available in the Aerodrome Store.

Have to agree with the others. I had the same problem with a B-25 and just glued it back in place. also as Peter mentioned AIM is a great source for additional planes. I have a few to take photos of to post in the Feb workbench.

Welcome Will!!

I think all of my b25s have had a touch of glue at one point or another. I no longer store them in the original plastic trays and now use foam trays. This has helped out a great deal keeping them in one piece.

I look forward to having you play in the games!!

Good evening

I am making some custom items for my midway games. Anyone who has signed up for or is planning on playing in these games please let me know. That way I have enough of the items.

Thanks

Mike

Mike, probably goes without saying but I have signed up for all 3 of your games. Can't wait. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Thanks I made yours this morning. As of right now the only thing I'm worried about is having enough movement decks. I've had a blast making all of the pieces. I'm in the middle of painting 22 models that I got from AIM. They should be done on Saturday, the decals came in the mail today. I got a different poly sticker sheet that I like so much better that I am redoing all of my ship marker. Otherwise I'm in good shape with everything. Only a few more weeks to go!

You know I am also in on your games. You showed me the markers last time we met so I can only wonder how much better they will be. You are a busy bee getting those planes up and running. 22 is quite a number.

Quote Originally Posted by mikejr74 View Post
    Thanks I made yours this morning. As of right now the only thing I'm worried about is having enough movement decks. I've had a blast making all of the pieces. I'm in the middle of painting 22 models that I got from AIM. They should be done on Saturday, the decals came in the mail today. I got a different poly sticker sheet that I like so much better that I am redoing all of my ship marker. Otherwise I'm in good shape with everything. Only a few more weeks to go!
    If you need any movement decks let me know. I have enough for the list of planes that I emailed you and I can make more if needed.

Hi Mike! I'm scheduled for the first two games, but not currently for the third. Thanks!

Default Strawberry 5 found something!!!

Looks like Strawberry 5 has spotted the enemy!!!

Name:  20200302_221456.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  36.4 KB

But have the enemy CAP spotted Strawberry 5 ?

Cold Wars is still on. Thursday night I'll be in Distelfink pushing Martians as a practice for Friday mornings game.

Anyone with a cold or any flu symptoms please do not try to attend my games. I will ask you to leave if I see any signs of illness.
    I've caught colds on many occasions from others in the past and finally have to put my foot down. Your cold may last a few days but for me it is 3-4 weeks.
    Sorry to be so hard sounding but I can't let this happen anymore.

I Hope to see a healthy group of pilots this coming weekend!
    Last edited by Teaticket; 03-09-2020 at 17:40.

Had my flu shots so all is good with me. See you Thursday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. COLD WARS
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-10-2018, 14:36
  2. National: Cold Wars 2016
    By Teaticket in forum US Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2015, 04:36
  3. Cold Wars
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-11-2015, 15:02
  4. Anyone going to Cold Wars this weekend?
    By Carlos von C in forum US Wing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-14-2012, 19:18
  5. Cold Wars
    By BobP in forum US Wing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-04-2011, 09:19