Ares Games

Thread: ALPHA v.5 - War of the Worlds

Users Country Flag

Name
    D. Scott Stewart
    Sorties Flown

Default ALPHA v.5 - War of the Worlds

Below is an Alpha with 4 of 6 scenarios for comment. Anything in italics other than the book quotes are my notes to make sure I do them.

Wings of Glory - Tripods and Triplanes
    Campaign Design by D. Scott Stewart
    Alpha Version .5

The War of the Worlds

This campaign is inspired by the plot of H.G. Well’s The War of the Worlds. The dates have been altered from the novel to fit within the timeline established in the Tripods & Triplanes game scenarios while attempting to capture the flavor of the original story and although the campaign is designed to create a cohesive narrative, each scenario can be played as an individual event.

As this campaign takes place wholly within England, players are encouraged to use Entente planes unless otherwise specified by the scenario but are free to substitute equivalent Central Powers planes for variety (or personal supply), particularly with later scenarios. While not critical, landing cylinders can be a great enhancement to the scenery. To keep the scale, landing cylinders can be created using 2-3” diameter shipping tubes. Decoration, length and angle of impact are completely up to your aesthetic.

Maps & New Terrain

Urban scenarios may have layout suggestions based on both generic and geographically accurate map options. There are also new, unique terrain units included with this campaign. Future project: suggested geographical maps for scenarios are in development as a side project, designed to be printed at home on 8.5 x 11 paper.

Note for development: I used the map that came with the Invasion KS Box for relative spacing - 95cm x 67cm (~3ft x 2ft).

New Terrain to design – new cylinder indicating opening direction, 3 types of objective token cottages & 2 medium terrain cottages, Unique terrain - St. Paul’s Cathedral, Parliament w/ Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Tower of London, London Bridge, Generic Bridges

Urban Terrain & Movement

Cylinders have a Damage Resistance of 50. Idea: Should tripods be able to bunker inside cylinders?

There are several scenarios that take place in a village or urban environment. Unless otherwise noted, these modifications use the Terrain Elements rules found on page 25 of the Tripods and Triplanes core rule book.

Structural terrain impacts the movement of Martian tripods based on the tripod’s height. Tripods are currently divided into three zones

A - Mk1 or Mk2 (~10m/32ft)
    B - Mk3 (~7m/23ft)
    C - Mk4 (~14m/46ft)

Tripods may not traverse over/through structures whose height is within 2m/6ft of the tripod’s height. Tripods attempting to traverse across structures between 25ft and individual max height limit must draw an A damage card for each movement action, with a 0-1 resulting in a topple.

Structures under 25ft high are treated as per the crater or marsh rules.

Black smoke is unaffected by structures.

When firing the heat ray, terrain in line of fire, and at the appropriate height to be impacted, draw from damage deck A. On a result of 2-5, that area is turned to rubble in addition to any other damage caused. Tripods may optionally declare as their attack the deliberate creation of rubble using their heat ray. In this case, all structures in short range in the beam are destroyed. No planes within line of fire are damaged and a damage card draw is not necessary.

Tripods moving into rubble treat that area as per the crater or marsh rules with the following exception – damage cards of 0-2 have no effect.

Urban Terrain & Firing

All structures within 2m/10ft in height of the tripod’s height partially obstruct line of sight. Structures 2m/10ft above the height of a Martian tripod fully obstruct line of sight. Idea: indicate height ranges using colored borders like the Martian tripod shielding for quick visual reference?

Optional War of the Worlds campaign rule – in development

In the event Martians achieve the scenario winning condition, experienced players wishing to recreate the sense of urgency and overwhelming odds from the novel can select to have surviving Martian scenario units used as reinforcements in each subsequent scenario. Damage is retained through each subsequent scenario.

Scenarios

The Cylinder Opens
    March 25, 1918

”With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over matter.” ~ The War of the Worlds

Rumors of Martian scouting missions had only recently reached the White Cliffs of Dover from the Western European front. In our hubris the nations of Europe believed the assault repulsed, our divine right affirmed. The first wave of landings targeting our sovereign soil appeared like those on the continent - meant as a test of our resolve - with an expeditionary landing impacting at Woking, Surry. Our response at was woefully inadequate due to the commitment of resources on the continent.

Players: 2-6

Playing Area: 90cm x 90cm. A single cylinder represented by the cylinder terrain markers supplied with the Tripods and Triplanes or equivalent section of tube with the cylinder opening facing the Earthling side of the map placed within 1 ruler from the Martian side of the field. No other structural terrain.

Martian Player: Two tripods, Mk1 (Locust) or Mk2 (Scarab) or a combination of both. Tripods start inside the cylinder, using an action to exit the “pit”. Tripods may not take running actions.

Earthling Player: Four Entente planes, all early-war (pre-1917).

Winning Conditions: The Earthling player wins if all tripods are destroyed. The Martian player wins if all the Earthling planes are destroyed or both tripods exit from the Earthling side of the map.

The Fighting Begins
    March 27, 1918

“It would seem that these giants spent the earlier part of the afternoon in going to and fro, transferring everything from the second and third cylinders—the second in Addlestone Golf Links and the third at Pyrford—to their original pit on Horsell Common.” ~ The War of the Worlds

Mankind was still reeling from the first assault when the second wave of cylinder landings began a few days later. The Martians had established a foothold and were now consolidating their supply chain – a clear indication they were preparing for a lengthy campaign.

Players: 2 - 8

Playing Area: 90cm x 90cm. Three cylinders represented by the cylinder terrain markers supplied with the Tripods and Triplanes or equivalent section of tube with the cylinder opening facing the center of the map placed equidistant from 1.5 rulers from the center of the map. Martian player must identify which is the Woking cylinder.

Martian Player: Three Martian Tripods, Mk1 (Locust) or Mk2 (Scarab) or a combination of both, stationed at the Woking cylinder.

Supplies to create Mk3 (Squid) tripods must be consolidated at the Woking cylinder. Place 4 energy cubes in each of the Addlestone and Pyrford cylinders. In order to transfer materials, Martians must spend a single “Recharge” action to collect from the cylinder and then a second “Recharge” action to drop off. These are not included in the Tripods’ supply. If a Tripod is destroyed while carrying “supplies”, those supplies are also destroyed. Only a single Mk3 (Squid) tripod may be created at a time. A Mk3 (Squid) tripod may be created once 3 cubes have been dropped off and 1 turn has been spent in “construction”. A Mk3 (Squid) may only take a single movement action it’s first turn after creation.

Earthling Player: 5 A-firing triplanes. Assign 1 squadron leader: choose two different skills for its pilot. The Earthling player may choose to enter the board from any single side of the map, but all planes must enter from that edge.

Winning Conditions: The Martian player wins if they create 2 Mk3 (Squid) tripods. The Earthling player wins by preventing the completion of the Mk3 (Squid) tripods. This may be done through either destroying tripods and/or cylinders.

Optional Rule: If using the optional rule for this campaign, Martian Tripods must leave the board from the side the Earthlings chose to enter. Martians have 2 full game turns once the second Mk3 (Squid) tripod is completed to salvage any units for further scenarios.

The Work of Fifteen Days
    April 11, 1918

“When I had last seen this part of Sheen in the daylight it had been a straggling street of comfortable white and red houses, interspersed with abundant shady trees. Now I stood on a mound of smashed brickwork, clay, and gravel, over which spread a multitude of red cactus-shaped plants, knee-high, without a solitary terrestrial growth to dispute their footing.” ~ The War of the Worlds

We quickly realized that the Martians planned on remaking the Earth in their own twisted image, destroying our food supply by corrupting our soil with the red weed. If Mankind was to have any chance of survival, we must not allow the diseased plant to spread.

Players: 2 – 7

Playing Area: 90cm x 90cm. 8 objective templates and 4 small urban terrain units laid out in a grid pattern within 3 rulers of the Earthling side of the board spaced 1 Martian base apart between them.

Martian Player: Two Martian tripods, Mk1 (Locust) or Mk2 (Scarab) or a combination of both with one Mk3 (Squid) for a total of 3 tripods.

Earthling Player: 4 A-firing planes and 2 AA machine gun batteries. AA-guns are placed on any urban terrain at least 1 ruler apart.

Special Rules: AA Machine guns (WWI Rulebook p. 31)

Winning Conditions: Martians win if they convert 75% terrain to red weed using “Recharge” actions. Earthlings win if they prevent Martians from converting 75% of terrain to red weed.

The Exodus from London
    April 14, 1918

“So you understand the roaring wave of fear that swept through the greatest city in the world just as Monday was dawning—the stream of flight rising swiftly to a torrent, lashing in a foaming tumult round the railway stations, banked up into a horrible struggle about the shipping in the Thames, and hurrying by every available channel northward and eastward.” ~ The War of the Worlds

As the Martians advanced toward London unabated and the stench of death began to waft through the streets, the population’s faith in our military might and resolve faded, giving way to panic and desperation, fleeing the city by any means necessary, choking the roads and the river Thames itself.

Players: 2 - 4

Playing Area: This is the first of the “large” scenarios in the campaign – 136 cm x 98 cm (two playmats). This scenario requires a river running across both maps. Each side places 1 unique terrain unit within 1 ruler of the center of the map. Then, 8 cottage objective templates and 4 small cottage terrain units are laid out in a grid pattern in the surrounding area radiating out from the center of the area.

Martian Player: Two groups of Martian tripods, Mk1 (Locust) or Mk2 (Scarab) or a combination of both with one Mk3 (Squid) for a total of 6 tripods. You may substitute out both Mk1/Mk2 tripods for one Mk4 (Cuttlefish). Martians must declare the corner from which to enter off the board (with their first move entering the board). Martians enter from within 1.5 rulers of the corner.

Earthling Player: 8 A-firing planes in two groups of 4 with one squadron leader each. The Earthling player starts with 1 squadron within 2 rulers of the center of the board and the second within 1 ruler of an opposing side from the Martians. The Earthling player places a single objective marker representing the civilians on the land and in the river within 1 ruler from the center of the map and declares which side each will escape to, in opposing directions. Civilian objectives move at no more than ˝ a ruler for the entire turn.

Setup Variant: Once all units are set up, each side places one civilian objective marker on the map within 1 ruler of the center of the map.

Winning Conditions: Earthlings must protect 2 sets of fleeing civilians, one by river, one by land as they escape the map. The Martians win if they destroy both groups of civilians before they escape.
    Last edited by maestrostewart; 01-04-2020 at 07:22.

Users Country Flag

Name
    D. Scott Stewart
    Sorties Flown

I haven't posted the last two scenarios partly because they can be played sequentially or as a combined super-scenario. Still working on them. Expect to have them done in the next few days.

I love the martian objective of The Fighting Begins! Mechanically solid, and feels like it'd be a lot of fun to play.

Have you play tested any of the scenarios?

Users Country Flag

Name
    D. Scott Stewart
    Sorties Flown

Nope. I can't get a consistent group locally. All of this is theoretical based on research.

Like the ideas but not sure about the balance of the planes v the tripods, think the Humies will need more help.
    As a minimum two player game it would be real hard graft but getting the number of willing players is doable - our group has slated TnT next week so I'll see if we can get through the first two scenario with a body per machine and let you know how we get on.

"He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    D. Scott Stewart
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Like the ideas but not sure about the balance of the planes v the tripods, think the Humies will need more help.
    As a minimum two player game it would be real hard graft but getting the number of willing players is doable - our group has slated TnT next week so I'll see if we can get through the first two scenario with a body per machine and let you know how we get on.
    Balance will definitely need to be tweaked. As the missions get larger, I anticipated that most won't have a body per machine, but a body per grouping of machines. I have a hard time getting a second, let alone a group.

Flying more than a pair is laborious and stops being fun, same with the Tripods. We're lucky we have a regular group of 6-9 chaps keen on WoG & TnT so might be able to handle the scenarios; we've found 3 to 1 plane to tripod gives the Humies a fighting chance.

"He is wise who watches"

Nice thought into putting this together with a good description of what is happening.

Users Country Flag

Name
    D. Scott Stewart
    Sorties Flown

Hi all! A few said they might be able to playtest some of these scenarios. Anyone able to playtest? I'm hoping to playtest some in the next few weeks but more feedback is always better and will get playtest credit in the PDF

Users Country Flag

Name
    D. Scott Stewart
    Sorties Flown

Flying more than a pair is laborious and stops being fun, same with the Tripods. We're lucky we have a regular group of 6-9 chaps keen on WoG & TnT so might be able to handle the scenarios; we've found 3 to 1 plane to tripod gives the Humies a fighting chance.
    I'm hoping that giving the tripods more things to accomplish that isn't a straight attack on the planes will even out the field. Also, depending on what kind of terrain and heights are involved, those will hinder line of sight (which means I should actually dictate specific heights for terrain to be used in layouts).

We play to achieving objectives not engaging aircraft other than in defence. That's how we came to the 3 to 1 plane to tripod figure.
    In the Cylinder Opens - exiting the map will be our objective; In The Fighting Begins - we might take the exit option depending on time.
    I will report back.

"He is wise who watches"

We were a bit short handed tonight & I got in late but we managed to get six playing The Cylinder Opens.
    It played out OK, the feeling was that the four pre 1917 entente aircraft we were using were a mostly a little slow & weak to take on a pair of Tripods. Two were shot down before the Tripods ambled off the field of battle having suffered very little damage.
    The fix for this would be either a couple more planes, or, to reduce it to a single tripod.
    We will try to see if we can play the next scenario next week, though we may open it up to any aircraft to get stronger opponents in play, I will also endeavour to get some pics of the action.

One store pic: My Locust legging it to the edge of the battle area pursued by a humie !
    Last edited by flash; 01-23-2020 at 04:06.

"He is wise who watches"

When I read your scenario, I wondered why the Earthlings are limited to pre-1917 aircraft in March 2018?

The Cylinder Opens
    March 25, 1918

Users Country Flag

Name
    D. Scott Stewart
    Sorties Flown

We were a bit short handed tonight & I got in late but we managed to get six playing The Cylinder Opens.
    It played out OK, the feeling was that the four pre 1917 entente aircraft we were using were a mostly a little slow & weak to take on a pair of Tripods. Two were shot down before the Tripods ambled off the field of battle having suffered very little damage.
    The fix for this would be either a couple more planes, or, to reduce it to a single tripod.
    We will try to see if we can play the next scenario next week, though we may open it up to any aircraft to get stronger opponents in play, I will also endeavour to get some pics of the action.
    Thanks for the info! I have to say, this is actually the outcome the scenario was designed to achieve, so that's good! However, yeah...I'm going to be play testing this weekend and will look at either a single tripod vs. the early-war planes and/or changing out planes to either a) more early-war or b) newer planes.

D.

Users Country Flag

Name
    D. Scott Stewart
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    When I read your scenario, I wondered why the Earthlings are limited to pre-1917 aircraft in March 2018?

The Cylinder Opens
    March 25, 1918

All the scenarios are meant to be reflective of flavor of the novel and in the beginning (well...pretty much the entire book) the Earthlings are woefully under-equipped. I tried to explain the rationale/set-up of the scenario with the flavor text, both quotes from the novel and my own. Based on feedback, I am adjusting the scenario to help better facilitate a more even playing field.

D.

Users Country Flag

Name
    D. Scott Stewart
    Sorties Flown

If anyone is going to be play testing "The Fighting Begins," I'm taking the Martians down to two (2) tripods when I look at it this weekend. Three I think is a bit much even with the Martian primary goal of creating Mk3 (Squid) tripods.

We played The Cylinder Opens last night. As we'd suffered with pre '17 types in the first game we tried this one with 5 Fokker D.VII's.
    It proved to be a long grinding game, and took a couple of hours to play out. About an hour too long for our chaps, however, it proved well balanced, we lost a Fokker fairly early, a Locust Tripod after the first Squid was built and three Fokkers were lost in the last ten minutes of the game - the final falling just as the second Squid was completed.
    We didn't have a squadron leader or use skills or use any optional rules.
    If we did it again we'd have two cubes per base, build one Squid, use the exit option and be done in an hour.
    Sorry, no pics again, too busy steering a tripod but here's one the store took - think that's my Locust in the background and as you can see, the Squid has just left the base.

Thanks for the idea
    Last edited by flash; 01-23-2020 at 04:04.

"He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    D. Scott Stewart
    Sorties Flown

We played The Cylinder Opens last night. As we'd suffered with pre '17 types in the first game we tried this one with 5 Fokker D.VII's.
    It proved to be a long grinding game, and took a couple of hours to play out. About an hour too long for our chaps, however, it proved well balanced, we lost a Fokker fairly early, a Locust Tripod after the first Squid was built and three Fokkers were lost in the last ten minutes of the game - the final falling just as the second Squid was completed.
    We didn't have a squadron leader or use skills or use any optional rules.
    If we did it again we'd have two cubes per base, build one Squid, use the exit option and be done in an hour.
    Sorry, no pics again, too busy steering a tripod but here's one the store took - think that's my Locust in the background and as you can see, the Squid has just left the base.

Thanks for the idea
    Thanks for the info! Did your group try to destroy any of the cylinders? You had completely different outcomes than we did. We used pretty modern planes as well (I have them written down somewhere) and they decimated the Martians by destroying cylinders.

Based on your feedback and my play testing, when I finally put this all down on PDF I'm going to suggest three levels of game play - short, medium, and long - that can scale easily based on the length/complexity of game you want. Also looking at putting a chart in the beginning with suggested planes vs. tripods much like the chart in the scenarios book in the Rules and Accessories box.

D.

We didn't go for cylinders, just for Tripods. We thought the cylinders were too easy a target (and we were not sure of their value).
    Last edited by flash; 01-27-2020 at 08:17. Reason: Typo

"He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    D. Scott Stewart
    Sorties Flown

We didn't go for cylinders, just for Tripods. We thought the cylinders were too easy a target (and we were not sure of their value).
    I agree that they were too easy to destroy and will probably remove the option or make the defensive rating higher. The value was that if you destroyed one, the martians would loose resources to build the Mk3s or the ability to build at all if the Woking cylinder was destroyed. I've already updated that the Woking cylinder can't be destroyed in my current revision.

D.

Yeah, we got that value, I meant the defence point value !

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. More on the BBC War of the Worlds
    By 'Warspite' in forum T&T: General Discussions
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 03-24-2020, 09:28
  2. War of the Worlds ?
    By BobP in forum T&T: General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-17-2019, 18:35
  3. Another Version of War of the Worlds
    By Stumptonian in forum T&T: General Discussions