Ares Games

Thread: Smaller Game Conventions for 2020

Default Smaller Game Conventions for 2020

Go ahead and post some of the smaller game conventions you will be hosting a WGF/WGS/BSG/T&T event in 2020.
    Be sure to state game, date, location, provide a link to the event's website, etc.

I'll start by saying I'm running a variant of the Air Racing game (WGF) at the upcoming Congress of Gamers Winter session in Rockville MD. 11/12 January, 2020. http://emsps.com/cog/winter/

Will any WGF players be attending Ice and Dice 2020 in Cincinnati, OH, Jan 10-12?

Clarion Hotel 3855 Hauck Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45241

https://www.facebook.com/events/clar...6818947688451/

I hope to be running games at these New England shows. If I get to run games elsewhere at smaller venues I'll add them into the list. There is a game day at the Hobby Bunker (in Malden near Boston MA) in August and another in the fall at Fort Devens.(between Ayer and Shirley MA) When I get dates I'll add them in.

When I can register my games I'll start a thread for the convention in relevant state in the US section.

HAVOC XXXVI 3-5 April Schrewsbury MA
    HUZZAH! 15-17 May Portland ME
    Council of Five Nations TBD (usually late Sept) Schenectady NY put on by the Schenectady Wargamers Association
    Carnage on the Mountain 6-8 Nov Killington VT
    Last edited by Teaticket; 01-06-2020 at 09:42.

There is DayCon in Dayton Ohio this spring April 17 and 18. Haven't seen the schedule of events yet. I have been told it is a really nice convention.

https://www.daycongaming.com/

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    There is DayCon in Dayton Ohio this spring April 17 and 18. Haven't seen the schedule of events yet. I have been told it is a really nice convention.

DayCon last year was a lot of fun. I'd love to go again this year, but my vacation demands went up (family reunion in CalState).
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post

indeed! cincycon is also fun.

Might have to head up to one at Devens. See what my old stomping grounds look like after 30 years.

Devens is only 10-4 on one Saturday in October. Not much turnout for Wings sadly. Thomas is the only person I know who has been a regular there. Other than him there are at most one or two others that join in. I didn't go last year so don't know if it is still happening. I will look into contacting the fellow that organizes it. But for you Bob, it would probably not be worth it to come all the way up for a couple of Wings games that you might be the only player. You might be stuck flying a few planes against me!

I'm sorry for those that missed my game at OwlCon this year, Feb 28-Mar 1. My game and session where moved at the last minute, causing some confusion. I was moved across the plaza in a small room, barely enough room for the table and ended up with 2 players on the 1st session and 3 on the 2nd, thanks to the First two players staying and playing.
    Last edited by badlands122; 04-06-2020 at 03:45. Reason: Wrong area

OK- For those in the Houston Area 'round Feb 19th weekend, I will be running 3 events on Saturday at OwlCon.

Name:  IMG_2207.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  138.0 KBName:  IMG_2214.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  119.1 KBName:  IMG_2215.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  119.5 KBName:  IMG_2216.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  130.2 KBName:  IMG_2217.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  150.6 KBName:  IMG_2219.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  172.0 KBName:  IMG_2221.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  106.8 KB
    These are pictures of the game at the OwlCon in Houston, Tx. today. I did 3 games with 6 Flyers each, The last game had 4 flyers that had played the game before. For the purpose of the demonstration I just kept things light and easy; each player took a turn moving and shooting until the "phase' was over and the cards where replayed and the process was played over again, Yes, I did explain the way the "real" game was played that the way the game is being played was just for demonstration purposes only. If someone was shot down they just respawned on the next movement phase and the game continued until they ran out of time. The 2nd game limited it to 2 respawns, that secession was real quick!!!. The last secession threw in a twist, they wanted an objective for one team and picked a bridge to destroy. This game was fun because they all chased each other around the map and the flyer that was shot down 2 times ended up winning the game by destroying the bridge. We came up with 4 hit points for the Bridge and 1 flyer managed to sneak in and score 3 hits on it before being shot down himself. That's when the 1st flyer shot down(2 times overall) managed to fly right through the scrum protecting the Bridge managed to score one long shot with a 3 to win the game. Total tally was Bridge protectors 4, Bridge destroyers 1 plane and 1 bridge. I believe a great time was had by all, I know I did and look forward to getting to play again.
    Last edited by badlands122; 02-18-2023 at 20:37.

Nice looking game Ross! Thanks for sharing!

Well done Ross! Looks like you put on a good show.

Thank You very much. had a lot of fun doing it

Well done Ross.
    Good to see that the game is still alive and kicking at these smaller cons where you are likely to pick up locals to game with.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Excellent thread revival!

Great to see more folks getting the game "out there" and enjoying it to boot!

Well done!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

anyone going to cincycon or daycon? im not running any games but i did put together a "go-bag" of the 2 duel packs in case anyone wants to get a small pick up game of wings in.

Similar Missions

1. WGSF How to emulate a master in a slightly smaller scale...
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 02-21-2015, 16:38
  2. Conventions 2013
    By Kermit in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-13-2013, 23:44
  3. National: California Game Conventions 2012
    By Volant Gun in forum US Wing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-10-2011, 11:32
  4. Shapeways planes are getting smaller