Ares Games
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: January 2020 Workbench

Default January 2020 Workbench

New Year Greetings Skysters! Just pulled patient zero off the building fixture and set it on it's legs! A few mods and then on to #'s 2 - 8!

No there is nothing wrong with the photo orientation, the elves and I have moved to a gravity free building environment. . .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200101_090907.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	166.1 KB 
ID:	280017

Name:	20200101_090916.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	280018

Name:	20200101_091042.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	280019

Have great new year of building!
    Last edited by clipper1801; 01-01-2020 at 10:29.

Happy New Year!

On my virtual workbench, something Italian this time:

We've seen the Caproni Ca.3 and -- on Shapeways at least -- the big Ca.4 triplane. But their successor, the Ca.5, was built in the hundreds and served through 1918 with Italy and France. It was surprisingly hard to find good drawings and information on it, given its importance. I guess all the attention has been focused on the earlier models. The Ca.5 is the military designation for this and related planes; the company designation was the Ca.44.

Name:	Ca44.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	280020

(I'm still doing the final touches, but it should be on Shapeways in a day or two.)

Very nice! But the Caproni Ca60 Transaero is the one I am waiting for you to do!!!

Starting the new year in a new room; more light and less clutter. Now I can procrastinate twice as much stuff at once

Here's my start on next Origin's games:

Name:	Origin 2020 001.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	280021

Name:	Origin 2020 002.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	181.7 KB 
ID:	280022

Name:	Origin 2020 003.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	217.8 KB 
ID:	280023

Name:	Origin 2020 004.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	280024
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

A good start to the year Karl.
    I will have a few more offerings in a few days time, when I get my Christmas pressies decaled.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

More Zeppelins! Fantastic.

Karl, a nice selection of some very fast aircraft, and Mauraders too! I just primed an He-162. Maybe I can fly it in your Origins game?

Could be
    I'll need the Do.335 your painting too; probably both of them
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Could be
    I'll need the Do.335 your painting too; probably both of them
    Karl
    Looks like you'll have more 335s in the air than the Luftwaffe had.

I also have 3 Me 262s if you need more of these.

Hmmm..have a couple of ME 262's, a Defiant, and a Betty sitting here I need to paint also.

im working an an me 262 myself atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Looks like you'll have more 335s in the air than the Luftwaffe had.

I also have 3 Me 262s if you need more of these.
    Well, sure. That's the point.
    Hopefully, my painting will get all I need done, but I'll keep you in mind.
    Karl

Picked up a copy of TANKS at FALL IN so working on those right now. Have a few to decal and get photos posted. Also have a SHAPEWAYS order that should be here next week so some planes are also going to get painted.

Just spent last weekend putting stickers on a new Command and Colors Napoleonics game I got for X-mas. Now I need a larger hex mat, some terrain, and dig out my 15 mm figs. Figure I could play it using 15mm units.

Finished off in time for the first sesh of the year:

A quick and dirty repaint of Baracca's SPAD XIII to create a wingman for him in the shape of Fulco de Calabria's (cammo) SPAD XIII & match the old Nexus card - helped out by some natty decal's from Guntruck. Hope I did it some justice.

Name:	SAM_1525.JPG 
Views:	458 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	280048

Name:	SAM_1526.JPG 
Views:	452 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	280049

Then having considered it for a while decided to the Nexus MvR Dr.1 from the deluxe set into a personal scheme:

Name:	SAM_1527.JPG 
Views:	555 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	280053

That may look familiar to some

Name:	SAM_1528.JPG 
Views:	555 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	280054

It survived it's first outing so that was a good omen !
    Last edited by flash; 01-03-2020 at 08:51.

"He is wise who watches"

Just finished my Christmas project, a few figures for one of my Saga armies

Some Shieldmaiden archers, a mix of companies including Bad Squiddo, Brother Vinni, Darksword and Reaper.

Some stone chuckers to go with the archers, all Bad Squiddo.

and (avert your eyes if you are of a nervous disposition) nekkid Beserkers, all Brother Vinni

Now for something more aeronautical, which I am calling: Projekt H
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I'm sure yours SAGA opponents will be nervous, as well, Steve.
    Karl
    Last edited by Jager; 01-04-2020 at 05:08. Reason: Dang computer!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    ...and (avert your eyes if you are of a nervous disposition) nekkid Beserkers...
    Wot ? No natural blondes Steve.... OW!

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I'm sure yours SAGA opponents will be nervous, as well, Steve.
    Karl
    If not nervous, definitely distracted.

Here is whats on my January to do bench.

Name:	2020JanBench.JPG 
Views:	242 
Size:	186.0 KB 
ID:	280097

Are those 2 rocket armed SPADs I see in the bottom right corner and will they fly at COLD WARS ? I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Are those 2 rocket armed SPADs I see in the bottom right corner and will they fly at COLD WARS ? I wonder.
    One for sure. If one goes into the LL raffle then only one. If not, two.

Very nice SAGA army, got a few Brother Vini figs myself for my Viking army.

This is this weeks work, more marines and a 28mm French Nappy unit.

Name:	100_6796.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	280102Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6799.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	230.7 KB 
ID:	280103

Name:	100_6802.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	280104

A little distraction from the Zeppelin build . . .

Name:	20200104_214843.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	280105

Not an advertisement for Hallmark . . right Dobbs?

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    A little distraction from the Zeppelin build . . .

Name:	20200104_214843.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	280105

Not an advertisement for Hallmark . . right Dobbs?
    I purchased the gold racer this year myself. I thought it was rather attractive. I don't have any of the other ornaments. They appear to be roughly the same size. I wonder how they compare to the real airplanes?
    So how many books are in your personal library?

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Such wonderful work so far this month! Quite the inspiration - between Dave's lovely SPAD and DrI repaints, Ken's Napoleonics, Peter's gems in the rough, and Steve's gorgeous women warriors - I feel like a total slacker!

I managed to get several vehicles built for TANKS! - now the goal is to get basecoats on them so I can make some progress with initial painting and washing at our bi-monthly modeling club meeting this Wednesday evening...a Cromwell and several Shermans, along with a Marder III and a StuG III, as well as a couple of extra Sherman turrets...GF9 and Plastic Soldier 15mm kits.

Name:	IMG_2433.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	280134

More to come as I work on them...

All the best,
    Matt

PS - Oh, and I do have some planes in the works, too...

Matt do you use all of them for the TANKS game or some other game ? I can tell the GF9 models by their color and know they don't have a Marder card done yet. Would be nice to see some early war stuff, French and 38-T and maybe a Pzke II.

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Such wonderful work so far this month! Quite the inspiration - between Dave's lovely SPAD and DrI repaints, Ken's Napoleonics, Peter's gems in the rough, and Steve's gorgeous women warriors - I feel like a total slacker!

I managed to get several vehicles built for TANKS! - now the goal is to get basecoats on them so I can make some progress with initial painting and washing at our bi-monthly modeling club meeting this Wednesday evening...a Cromwell and several Shermans, along with a Marder III and a StuG III, as well as a couple of extra Sherman turrets...GF9 and Plastic Soldier 15mm kits.

Name:	IMG_2433.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	280134

More to come as I work on them...

All the best,
    Matt

PS - Oh, and I do have some planes in the works, too...
    Need any cards for these? Are there stats?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Bob, here is a link to a fellow who has 'figured out' how GF9 rates the tanks and has included virtually all of the vehicles you would want to use in the game, from '39 Poland to '45 Berlin...I have a Tiger II, Jagdpanzer IV, Hetzer, and now the Marder III, for use in the game, and he covers all of their ratings. Mike/OldGuy59 did up a card for my Jagdpanzer IV a while back, and as you see from his post, he's able to do others given the right information...

http://www.runtus.org/USERIMAGES/Cra...0code%2001.pdf

the sky's the limit with this kind of information and the models that GF9 and Plastic Soldier and Shapeways and others produce...

All the best,
    Matt

PS - Mike, I probably will ask your indulgence for cards once I get some more of these atypical tanks painted up...

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    I purchased the gold racer this year myself. I thought it was rather attractive. I don't have any of the other ornaments. They appear to be roughly the same size. I wonder how they compare to the real airplanes?
    I have not run the numbers but they are close, close enough for me. The largest one is the Travel Air, I will do some math later . . .

Bob, here is a link to a fellow who has 'figured out' how GF9 rates the tanks and has included virtually all of the vehicles you would want to use in the game, from '39 Poland to '45 Berlin...I have a Tiger II, Jagdpanzer IV, Hetzer, and now the Marder III, for use in the game, and he covers all of their ratings. Mike/OldGuy59 did up a card for my Jagdpanzer IV a while back, and as you see from his post, he's able to do others given the right information...

http://www.runtus.org/USERIMAGES/Cra...0code%2001.pdf

the sky's the limit with this kind of information and the models that GF9 and Plastic Soldier and Shapeways and others produce...

All the best,
    Matt

PS - Mike, I probably will ask your indulgence for cards once I get some more of these atypical tanks painted up...
    oh yes, just what we needed; another excuse to buy more models.
    I can already see where I will go with this
    Karl

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Since when have we needed an excuse, Karl? The key is to not choose to do all of the war but focus on the one or two aspects that interest you...it is a skirmish-level game, after all...

All the best,
    Matt

Just wish I could get some info on the tanks and support units for the Africa Corps.
    Rob.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Rob, I think you will find stats in that list for armor for the North Africa campaign...he covers a full gammut of tanks and armored cars for the Germans and British and Italians...and his formula for coming up with the numbers can be used for virtually anything else you might want to play.

All the best,
    Matt

Sorry Matt, but thanks for responding.
    I should have been clearer, it is more the actual make up of a Squadron of Tanks and support vehicles for the Africa Corps that I'm after.
    Rob.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Just a generic unit of the Afrikakorps, Rob, or do you have a specific unit in mind?

All the best,
    Matt

Well, I finally got around to uploading the stl files for the Martian cylinder hatch to Thingiverse(pictures in November's thread). It is designed to go with a 3in mailing tube. You can find it here if you are interested. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4040448
    Last edited by rmarsh; 01-07-2020 at 12:43.

Just a generic unit of the Afrikakorps, Rob, or do you have a specific unit in mind?

All the best,
    Matt
    Just a generic unit that we can kick the ar... bottom out of with a good old strafing attack.
    Matt. I thought maybe the tanks would have a command /radio vehicle, maybe some anti tank armour or AA unit and tanker etc with them but what number or if I am barking up the wrong wadi I don't know. I am really new to WW2 ground forces.
    Rob.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Are you looking to do it in 1/285 - micro-armor scale or in something a bit larger, Rob? Are you envisioning a column moving through the desert of something more stationary, perhaps in laager for the night?

I have a couple of good sources that I might be able to dig out some information from - are you looking at something early or something more in line with the Crusader or Gazala battles, or El Alamein-ish?

All the best,
    Matt

Matt thanks for that link. Great info on the different way to use models not made by GF9. Just got some British decals yesterday so have a lot of decal work to do,

Are you looking to do it in 1/285 - micro-armor scale or in something a bit larger, Rob? Are you envisioning a column moving through the desert of something more stationary, perhaps in laager for the night?
    Matt
    Thanks Matt.
    I was thinking of a column on the move in about early to mid 42 Matt. 1/285 sounds about right, for photographing from the air.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by rmarsh View Post
    Well, I finally got around to uploading the stl files for the Martian cylinder hatch to Thingiverse(pictures in November's thread). It is designed to go with a 3in mailing tube. You can find it here if you are interested. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4040448
    Woo hoo! Thanks for that Robert. As soon as I can cure my under-extrusion problem that has suddenly afflicted my printer, I will be churning some of these out.

Many thanks for sharing.

Had a few hours in the shop with the elves and got some progress on the Zeppelins, will be gone a month to the NZ so someone will have to start the February Workbench . . .

Name:	20200110_182432.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	280285

Mostly doing game - playing, or graphics. Like the BSG deck strips, now in the moderation queue.

Name:	Deck-Strips_RaptorsHvyRdrs.png 
Views:	148 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	280286
    Note: Full scale PDF will be available in the BSG Files section, soon.

PS: I added "Blueprint" drawings as backgrounds to the Maneuver Deck strips for visual interest, this time.
    Mike

Those crazy elves will be busy while I am down under . .
    1/200 scale fire fighter series, Canadair Cl415 x 2 . . .

Name:	20200114_160943.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	280622

Name:	20200114_160954.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	280623

Another crisp looking pair of models Dave.
    I look forward to seeing the painted version.
    Rob.

The second wave hits the bench.

Name:	Origin 2020 005.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	206.5 KB 
ID:	280759

Name:	Origin 2020 006.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	213.9 KB 
ID:	280754

Name:	Origin 2020 007.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	233.8 KB 
ID:	280755

Name:	Origin 2020 008.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	280756

Name:	Origin 2020 009.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	217.6 KB 
ID:	280757

Karl
    Last edited by Jager; 01-15-2020 at 14:03. Reason: missed one

Looks like some AIM models. I get the same plastic bags when I order mine from Dave.

Definitely Aim Bob. You can tell by the screw underneath.
    I love Aim myself.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Mostly doing game - playing, or graphics. Like the BSG deck strips, now in the moderation queue.

Name:	Deck-Strips_RaptorsHvyRdrs.png 
Views:	148 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	280286
    Note: Full scale PDF will be available in the BSG Files section, soon.

PS: I added "Blueprint" drawings as backgrounds to the Maneuver Deck strips for visual interest, this time.
    Deck Strips now in the Files section: BSG Raptors and Heavy Raiders Deck Strips
    Mike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Michigan: SPARTACON - Lansing, MI, 11 January 2020
    By Chris Maes in forum US Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-22-2019, 13:30
  2. January's Workbench... New Projects for a New Year!
    By fast.git in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 01-31-2019, 14:50
  3. What's on your Workbench - January 2017
    By David Manley in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 01-31-2017, 12:43
  4. What's on your workbench for January 2016
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 01-30-2016, 10:25
  5. Whats on your workbench for January 2015!
    By richard m schwab in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 02-01-2015, 08:19