Ares Games
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It’s bushfire season in Australia

Default It’s bushfire season in Australia

The graphic below compares the combined area burnt in Queensland and New South Wales (but not including those fires in Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia) overlaid on a map of the UK with London at the centre:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FC2FD4D1-01D1-4101-8CAF-B400D53C9AD6.jpeg 
Views:	187 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	279967

A huge shoutout to all the fire fighters, many of whom are volunteers!

And here are a few more I found:

Name:	9FC43B04-E495-4DEA-A4C9-083C2E59D0D2.jpeg 
Views:	186 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	279970

Name:	CC7AD91A-1914-4344-9E81-69199A1504AA.jpeg 
Views:	187 
Size:	166.1 KB 
ID:	279971

Name:	A974AF5D-78AC-4E38-9E3C-39C5DF684C08.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	279972

5 million hectares burnt so far!
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 12-30-2019 at 00:52.

Unhappy

Unfortunately we have fires burning to the North, West & now South of Moruya.
    They are still not real close but the forecast Southerly tomorrow could send the South fire towards us so we will be watching for advice tomorrow.

Hey Barry, that’s a tad close for comfort. We have a big one (Cudlee Creek) that is about 10km away but it has been burning for 10 days now and still going.

You chaps stay safe out there, it must be horrendous for those involved.

"He is wise who watches"

Scary stuff.
    Like the fires in California it is really hard to visualize just how much area is being ravaged.
    Those overlays really bring it home

Stay safe, you lot.

The overlays are really scary, puts some perspective to what you are suffering. I have friends in Sydney and in Cairns so are very concerned. You guys stay as safe as you can and don't take any risks.

Frightening! I wish you all the best in these dire times!

Yeow, that's majorly scary!

Herculean efforts being put in by all the firefighters, including loads of volunteers.

Unfortunately, Man vs Nature has a history of Man losing out.

Keep battling on, but be careful out there.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Wow, this is really scary. Don't hesitate to evacuate if it comes to that. Praying they die out soon.

Hmmm... if 5 million hectares have burned, the conversion calculator I'm using is busted.

Trying to compare something local to the size of the devastation, I looked up the area of my island. Vancouver Island is 3 million hectares.

Which raised a question. Wales is smaller than Vancouver Island. I checked, and reconverted the area. Wales is 2 million hectares. The graphics above may not reflect the true scale of the tragedy.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I hope that you will stay safe and hat you will not have to evacuate.

Name:	20191227_122939.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	279989

As we are not on the interface with the bush, our plan is to stay and fight. Help neighbours closer to the bush, then a fighting retreat, then shelter in the very unlikely event the firefront comes over, then go out and save as much property as we can.

We've already distributed disposable smoke masks to neighbours lacking them. Instead of our regular doorknocks asking for donations to the Heart Foundation, this time we're giving, not receiving.

The Firies on the front line need all the backup they can get. Whether those at high risk evacuating so they don't have to worry about them, or those at lower risk preparing to put out spot fires and help others cope with the smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Unfortunately we have fires burning to the North, West & now South of Moruya.
    They are still not real close but the forecast Southerly tomorrow could send the South fire towards us so we will be watching for advice tomorrow.

Police are warning that all telecommunications will be lost tonight on the South Coast, between Nowra and Moruya.

The outage means the region will lose internet connections, mobile phone coverage and landlines.

Hospitals will be among the facilities affected.

It's on top of almost pitch black conditions in parts of the South Coast due to smoke. This picture shows Jervis Bay at 3pm, with street lights the only illumination on the street.

You can still get ABC emergency information via a battery-powered radio.
    The frequencies for ABC South East NSW are:
    Batemans Bay/Moruya — 103.5 FM
    Bega — 810 AM
    Eden — 106.3 FM
    Cooma — 1602 AM
    Jindabyne — 95.5 FM
    Bombala — 94.1 FM
    Thredbo — 88.9 FM

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post

Name:	20191227_122939.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	279989

As we are not on the interface with the bush, our plan is to stay and fight. Help neighbours closer to the bush, then a fighting retreat, then shelter in the very unlikely event the firefront comes over, then go out and save as much property as we can.

We've already distributed disposable smoke masks to neighbours lacking them. Instead of our regular doorknocks asking for donations to the Heart Foundation, this time we're giving, not receiving.

The Firies on the front line need all the backup they can get. Whether those at high risk evacuating so they don't have to worry about them, or those at lower risk preparing to put out spot fires and help others cope with the smoke.
    Well done Zoe and more power to your elbow as they say. Good luck and our thoughts are with you during this difficult time! Take care!
    Last edited by Rebel; 12-31-2019 at 01:18. Reason: Spelling correction

There's no fire without smoke. Burn out an area the size of Wales, and air pollution is likely to reach ridiculous levels..

We're 50km away from the nearest megafire, and the smoke has just rolled in. Visibility around 50m.

Crossing fingers for gully_raker. We're not exactly completely safe, but close enough. He isn't. He'll be offline for a while until they rebuild the communications and power infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Hmmm... if 5 million hectares have burned, the conversion calculator I'm using is busted.
    Trying to compare something local to the size of the devastation, I looked up the area of my island. Vancouver Island is 3 million hectares.
    Which raised a question. Wales is smaller than Vancouver Island. I checked, and reconverted the area. Wales is 2 million hectares. The graphics above may not reflect the true scale of the tragedy.
    To be fair it's only a rough graphic and Wales only forms half the area shown - you can see the border running down the middle - but for comparison England is 13m ha, Scotland & Ireland each 8m, Wales 2m; Belgium is 3m and Oz is 769m.
    Mind blowing when you think of that amount of devastation, can but wish them well tackling the fires, good luck all & stay safe.

"He is wise who watches"

Verdammt!

Hope this situation is soon under control...
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=1015356012157010&_rdr

While they have superior personal gear, unlike the volunteers of the Rural Fire Service (RFS), the professional Fire and Rescue Service don't have trucks with water drench sprays and pulldown fire curtains for when they are engulfed in fire. So this was a tricky situation, fire curtains had to be lifted from the floor and held up manually. Instead of stopping in place until the firefront had passed, they had to keep moving.

They're primarily for operating in urban areas dousing building fires and rescuing those trapped, not bushfire fighting.

Good Luck Zoe and all our Australian friends. I just got a message from a Rhodesian buddy who lives in Perth. They are not under direct threat yet.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

Prayers for all you folks Down Under.
    I did a quick google: 2019 CalState fires burned 253,214 acres (102,472 hectares). 2018, much worst burned 1,670,000 acres (‪675,825‬ hectares).
    That makes your fires nearly unbelievable!
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

A very worrying situation.Please let me know as soon as anyone discovers anything about Baz.
    I will be praying for the safety you all down under.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

The respirators I'm giving out have a minimum protection value of 20, 40 if new and perfectly fitted. The industrial ones have a protection value of 400. Meaning 5000 gets reduced to 250, 125, and 13 respectively.

Current air quality 2995 and rising. Yesterday afternoon 5109. 200+ is considered hazardous, 67 for asthmatics.

Just ordered another $100 of disposables to give away. At the rate I'm having to give them out, i doubt that will last a week.

This is the latest "tourists, please evacuate" area on the NSW south coast.
    Gully_raker is in Moruya, where electricity is still out, but phone services are being restored. Petrol has been shipped in so tourists have enough fuel to get out in the 2 day window of opportunity before the last roads are cut again.

Name:	nsw-south-coast-tourist-leave-zone-data.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	280030

Horrible, Zoe. Just horrible.

Baz is as safe as anyone in SE Australia can be, in Festung Moruya, preparing for a fire siege on Saturday.

Continuously cycling 1 hr news at https://www.abc.net.au/news/newschannel/

Many thanks to the donor from this site who gave me $100 to buy more respirators for those who need them.

I am spending the holidays in the U.K. with my daughter and the TV here is covering the Australian wildfires quite graphically. Yesterday they showed an aerial video of thousands of Australians taking refuge on a beach to escape the spreading wildfires. My New Year's wish is that all my Australian friends are safe from these perilous fires.
    B.

Being reported that bushfires in Australia have created a plume of smoke over an area greater than that of Europe !

"He is wise who watches"

Premier Daniel Andrews has declared a State of Disaster for six Local Government Areas and the Alpine Resorts, after considering advice from the Minister for Police and Emergency Services and the Emergency Management Commissioner.

The Premier is satisfied there is an emergency that constitutes, or is likely to constitute, a significant and widespread danger to life or property in the following part of Victoria:

East Gippsland Shire
    Mansfield Shire
    Wellington Shire
    Wangaratta Rural Shire
    Towong Shire
    Alpine Shire
    Mount Buller
    Mount Hotham
    Mount Stirling Alpine Resorts

Conditions are expected to deteriorate from tomorrow and the Government’s priority is the safety of Victorians.

A state of disaster:

May be declared to exist in the whole, or parts, of Victoria
    Exists immediately upon the making of the declaration and remains in force for seven days (unless another declaration is made)
    Can be revoked or varied by the Premier at any time.

The declaration gives the Government, through the Minister for Emergency Services, the powers and resources it needs to keep Victorians safe.

Examples of the Minister’s broad power to direct and allocate government resources include:

Directing any government agency to do, or refrain from doing, any function, power, duty, or responsibility
    Declaring that the operation of an Act or subordinate instrument is suspended, if compliance by a government agency with that legislation would inhibit response to or recovery from the disaster
    Take possession and make use of any person’s property to respond to the disaster
    Controlling movement in and out of the disaster area and
    Compelling the evacuation of persons from the disaster area or any part of it.

This is the first time the Victorian Government has used these powers since they were included in the Emergency Management Act 1986 following the devastating Victorian Bushfires in 2009.

The NSW Government has already declared a state of Emergency, giving sweeping powers to compel evacuation etc.

The ACT Government is still on a state of Alert, one step lower, HOWEVER... all postal services have been suspended and all post offices closed due to the bizarre amount of smoke pollution. Currently around 2000, down from 5000 yesterday. 200+ is rated "Hazardous Extreme", everyone should stay indoors unless they have a protection factor 400 respirator, the kind used in fallout zones, cleaning up asbestos, etc. Good disposable respirators have a protection factor of 20, up to 40 if brand new and perfectly fitted. Those who are elderly, have heart disease or asthma should stay inside if AQI is above 69.

A dry, cold front from Antarctica is pushing the high pressure air mass from above the Simpson Desert eastward into South Australia, then shortly thereafter, Victoria, Canberra, and SE NSW. Forecast is for strong, dessicating 45C winds, 40-50 kmh gusting to 70kmh, and veering direction unpredictably.

Things are going to get a little busy in 24 hours. After that, the smoke situation in Canberra is going to worsen drastically, as at best we will have uncontainable megafires to North, South, East and West, possibly for months to come.

I'd say "it never rains, but it pours" except that a decent deluge of rain is all that is going to change this situation, and the next time that is likely is in May.

Interesting times.

How can we send you money?

What he said.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

What they all said!

There will be quite a few donation websites set up as a result of these fires in the months to come. The scale and ferocity of the fires can only be imagined by those like me who have not experienced them first hand. All we have here in my suburb in Adelaide is the occasional smell of smoke from the fires in our hills. Looking at the picture of the fire and smoke that Flash has posted, I reckon that would be enough to see me off. It must be a truly awful situation for those folk involved.

I PM'd Zoe to get her PayPal email address.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I PM'd Zoe to get her PayPal email address.
    Good idea, will do.

Another day of 40+ temperatures. I’m sure there will be more of this:

Name:	9304CAC0-3A7D-4E44-94EA-EFF1EA6C04D2.jpeg 
Views:	137 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	280046

As there are no postal services here in Canberra, and all post offices are closed, and as all the major couriers such as UPS use Australia Post for the final mile of their deliveries....

Sending me money via Paypal would make my bank balance look healthier, as I have hundreds of dollars worth of orders of masks in the pipeline.

But it wouldn't actually do anything to help. Sure, I can order and pay for more, but delivery will be delayed for days, probably months.

Donations to the NSW Rural Fire Service to help them replace equipment lost in fires is probably the best way to give concrete help.

https://quickweb.westpac.com.au/Onli...n=EnterDetails

Done!

Thanks for the link, Zoe.

Really hope things start to improve soon.

Hope all our friends and for me a number of relations are safe and stay so. All in my thoughts, well done Zoe for all you efforts here, will pick up that link for the fire services and donate what I can

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Done!

Thanks for the link, Zoe.

Really hope things start to improve soon.
    They will get worse before they get better, alas. How much worse, the next 24 hours will tell. The winds are starting to pick up, and Canberra temperature expected to be 42 in the morning. We're basically an oasis with megafires to NE, E, SE and SW. Wind will be from NW, then veer to W, SW then stay on S.

So with luck, if the veering doesnt cause fire to spread, and the forecast dry lightning doesn't start new conflagrations, we won't be in the ember zone. Others nearby though are not so fortunate.

Here's hoping that in a day's time we can say "whew, dodged a bullet" rather than "that was exciting". But we're prepared for excitement as best we can, just in case.

February is the hot month. This is just the beginning.

Thanks for the link Zoe. Done. We're all praying for no excitement for anymore people down under with this horrible fire.

Thanks for the link. I hope it helps a little. Good luck.

Thanks for the link, Zoe. A must-do for me.

A good site for tracking the fires, and seeing where all these places are in relation to each other -

https://hotspots.dea.ga.gov.au/

My small tribute to our fire-fighters:

Name:	D6B6D46C-45A1-48F6-BC4B-092B37D3B6C6.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	280090

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Weapon Hunter Season 2
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5