Ares Games

Thread: It's Christmas time!

Default It's Christmas time!

BACKGROUND
    German High Command wants to boost moral of frontline troops and organizes delivery of Christmas gifts by airplanes. Unfortunately, Allies understood that new attack is on the way, so air force intervenes.

MISSION
    Germany: Deliver gifts to the front. If attacked, fight back.
    Allies: Destroy German aircraft.

FORCES
    Germany: 2 two-seaters; 2-3 scouts; 4 trench cards. If more players, keep ratio of as much as possible equal number of two-seaters and scouts.
    Allies: Scouts, number equal to the German airplanes in total.

SET UP
    Use three official mats put together at long sides.
    German side put 4 trench cards to form a frontline, each one ruler appart from the other and at least 1/2 ruler from table edges. Line is formed at 2/3 length of the table, i.e. closer to Allied edge.
    Each force starts at own edge. Germany starts at altitude 2, Allies start at altitude 4.

SPECIAL RULES

TWOSEATERS
    No rear machine guns, gifts are placed there. Each two-seater carries 6 packages. During takeoff or landing no twoseater is allowed to cross imagined trench line marked with trench cards' rear. If two-seater crosses the line, it's destroyed. Two-seater can be strafed while landed, but can't shoot while landed.

TRENCH CARDS
    Trench card shoot rifles only, up to altitude 2. It's range is always 1/2 ruler and enemy always takes 1 A damage. Only Special Damage counts, numerical is ignored. Trench card may be strafed from altitudes 1 or 2, always at 1/2 ruler range, and always suffers 1 damage card only.
    Trench cards' HP is 15. If destroyed, it still can be delivered gifts, but can't fight and further strafing is useless.

DELIVERY
    Delivery lasts 1 card per package. Each trench card can stack up to 3 packages. To deliver package properly, at least part of twoseater's base have to be in semi-circle of card's length from trench card, measured from trench card's rear. Delivery phase is immediately after Shooting.

FLAMES
    Airplane in Flames in moment when it leaves the table or when game ends takes all left Flame damage as if the game goes on and can be destroyed. It's allowed to virtual overdrive if at altitude level 3 or if Altitude Rules aren't in use.

RESURRECTION
    Resurrection is allowed when airplane is shot down. It's put back at the spot chosen by enemy, no more then two rulers from nearest enemy (including trench cards), at direction chosen by owning player.
    Two-seaters are resurrected with as many packages they had aboard when destroyed.

SCORING
    Two-seater shot down: 2 pts. for enemy
    Scout shot down: 1 pt. for enemy
    Each delivered package: 2 pts. for Germany
    Each undelivered package: 2 pts. for Allies
    Side with at least 5 points more wins.

Note: Not playtested yet, but we plan to play it on Saturday, January 4th. I'll let you know what happened

So, that's what happened:

Germans had 2 UFAG C.I two-seaters and 4 Fokker D.VIIs. Brits had 5 Sopwith Camels.

Brits had strict orders not to engage enemy fighters, but to concentrate on two-seater. In theory, very good plan! In practice, they chased German fighters.

Honourable mentions:
    Bora, who took 3 BOOM! cards (first, by house ruling, makes you take extra 2 A damages and any next Boom, Wound or Engine kills you) - so he was shot down twice.

Me, who made excellent Immelmann in front of enemy and turned back on enemy at short range. Fortunately, two out of three MGs were jammed.

Damjan, who couldn't join two shootings without drawing jam.

Saša, who decided it's better to taxi on the ground instead of make precise landings (although he delivered all 6 his packages!).

Final score: ALL 12 packages delivered, 4 British planes down and 1 German down. for full and undisputed German total triumph.
    Last edited by Пилот; 01-05-2020 at 06:10.

Sounds like a load of fun Nemanya but have to ask - Pfalz two-seaters ?

"He is wise who watches"

It was UFAG
    Sorry and thanks!
    (I guess it is time to get some Pfalz!)

Exciting-sounding report, Nemanja!

Thanks for sharing.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Landing and taking off under battle conditions... This sounds exciting!

Nice mission - well executed.

Germans were happy about Wurst & Schnaps!
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-21-2019, 13:39
  2. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-09-2016, 00:32
  3. 3rd Time in the Row :)
    By Пилот in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-23-2016, 15:54
  4. Once upon a time...
    By marcoperse in forum Officer's Club