Ares Games

Thread: OTT DYM Mission 11 – Hoist With His Own Petard – 19th March 1916 by Vagabond

Default OTT DYM Mission 11 – Hoist With His Own Petard – 19th March 1916 by Vagabond

PROLOGUE

Off to the Seaside.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prologue 01.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	279696
    “Well chaps we have a routine mission this morning” announced Biff our Flight Commander “but after that I have some good news for you, we are going to the sea side”. We all looked slightly dubious at this pronouncement and Berry turned to me and whispered “I wonder if Uncle knows about this”. Biff continued “The RFC Brass have been having words with the RNAS Brass and they have agreed an exchange of pilots would be a good for everyone. A exchange of ideas and tactical doctrine, comunicating what we have learned, you know the sort of things these fellows dream up”.
    “Well I suppose because of my connection to Pa” (The Earl of Shrewsbury and C.O. of the RNAS in France) “or maybe because the Skipper is still annoyed at Vagabond for pi**ing in his aspidistra, we have been chosen to go and join the RNAS for a while, and pass on the wisdom of the RFC.” “Don’t worry it shouldn’t take long, we don’t have too much wisdom to impart and then we can get back here into the thick of it”. This latter comment got a wry smile from most of us and by then I’d given up trying to explain the injustice of me making a simple mistake with the watering of the aspidistra.

Name:	Prologue 02.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	279697
    Biff went on to say “The Navy seem to be having a light time of it,

Name:	Prologue 03.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	279698
    Some long range bombing trying to destroy the Zeppelin sheds and a few offensive patrols but they don’t seem to have much opposition from the Germans who are mainly here or around Verdun”.

“The Upside is, we should get to fly some different planes, the beer is better and we might live a little longer, but the downside is - the wine is thin and vinegary, also there’s the sea, just make sure you don’t land in it because it will be cold in March and your flying gear will take you straight to the bottom as sure as eggs is eggs.”

“Right-oh, when we get back you can pack your bags, we are taking 2 of the FE2b’s Vagabond and I will fly them and the rest of you are being picked up by a couple of tenders”. “We are also taking the Twa Jocks with Plaskitt-Smythe and Podgy from B Flight”. “They didn’t want to go but Uncle thought it best to keep them out of the C.O. sight for a little while and let his temper cool a bit, should only take a couple of months.”

Name:	Prologue 04.jpg 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	279699
    Our new home was about a mile from the sea, which was visible on a good day, although there hadn’t been too many of those since we arrived a week ago. We did see it though, every time we were up in the air, it looked a cold, grey, wet and a very uninviting place. Somewhere to avoid at all costs and we were all hoping that we wouldn’t have to patrol over it, the Navy had some smallish rescue launches but they didn’t recover many of the pilots who ditched offshore. Well not alive anyway.

Name:	Prologue 05.jpg 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	279700
    The work with the RNAS was going well, we explained our method of aerial combat and I think they were a bit in awe of us because of our quite extensive combat experience, that and the fact that we were all bull sh**ers.

Name:	Prologue 06.jpg 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	279701

Name:	Prologue 07.jpg 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	279702
    The new planes we had been promised turned out to be the ubiquitous BE2c’s and a couple of old Nieuport 10’s, not the nimble Nieuport 11 scouts we were hoping for. The 10’s turned out to be immensely small for a two seat plane and the Twa Jocks and Podgy had a struggle to get in and out of them and couldn’t wear the lifejackets issued so had to carry them loose in the plane, not ideal, especially if you needed them quickly.

Biff had taken his old double barrelled shotgun and a clay pigeon trap together with some clays. We all spent some time on the beach enjoying ourselves and practicing deflection shooting and it turned out Bouncer Berry had a knack for it and was able to shatter more clays than the rest of us combined.

Afterwards Biff had a long conversation with him about flying.

Name:	Prologue 08.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	279703

Name:	Prologue 09.jpg 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	279704

Name:	Prologue 10.jpg 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	279705
    But more importantly about landing and Berry explained about how hard he found it to land on grass the right way up. Biff responded “We are an observer short for one of the FE’s, with your quick reactions and skill at deflection shooting how do you fancy trying that for a week or so while we work on your landing skills and you regain your confidence” “ Sounds good to me” he replied.

--------------------------------------

Name:	Prologue 11.JPG 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	279706
    This morning there was a bit of a flap on, we were being sent to pick up a scientist and his assistant who had been carrying out tests on a new mine and the Navy in it’s inimitable fashion had managed to blow up their own ship so these two jokers were stranded on a small island off the coast of Holland. It was quite a long distance away, but fortunately, because of the long range sea patrols the RNAS were carrying out, all the two seat aircraft we had were fitted with an additional fuel tank to give them extra range. That was the good news, the bad news was that the radio operator on the trawler had been sending out the SOS on the open airwaves, so there was a good chance the Germans and indeed the neutral Dutch would have picked up the transmission and would try and apprehend the castaways before we got there.

Name:	Prologue 12.jpg 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	279707
    The Navy briefing about the island was not encouraging, apparently there was only one beach that was suitable for us to land on, they told us it was hard sand but might have soft spots!!
    The tide was due to turn in 45 minutes so we had to leave immediately or the beach would cover completely at half tide, they calculated we only had about 20 minutes after arrival to land and pick up the Scientist and his assistant and were adamant that the Scientist was the most important target for us to rescue.

On our way to the planes Biff explained his plan in detail, I was aghast, we had never tried this before, “it will be fine” he said “all you have to do is follow me, if I fire a red flare or we are down to 2 planes it’s every man for himself, understood”. Even the Twa Jocks looked a bit askance, the first time I’d seen them looking less than deadly confident before a mission.
    The only comfort we got was when Biff explained he’d been drinking in a bar, talking to a pilot from one of the Squadrons doing long range bombing missions and they had tried it when they had been attacked by a swarm of E111’s. Apparently at least half their flight got back home, although I didn’t take much comfort from that titbit of news.

LOG

Name:	001 P1430592 800.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	279708
    We are approaching the Island and the beach looks very small from up here. Fortunately I’m not one of the guys who are going to land on it to try and rescue the two castaways. I have the easy job of making sure they can land and take off without any interference from anyone else - neutral or hostile.

Name:	002 800.JPG 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	279709
    We are in line astern with Biff leading followed by Plaskitt-Smythe, then me in V for Vagabond and following up in the rear are the Twa Jocks. The Nieuport 12’s looked miniscule compared to our FE2b’s. Off on our starboard side were the 2 guys who were going to do the tricky job of landing and pickup. Rory was leading Takahashi. Ishiro probably had the hardest job because Rory would go in first, pull out the Prof and once he was out of the way Ishiro had to land, collect the assistant and get off before the tide came in making this much more difficult. Of course if there were any soft spots in the sand Rory would find them first.

Off on my left I could see a line of planes carrying out a similar manoeuvre, must be Huns I thought and tapped Joe on the head and pointed them out when he turned to look at me. He just gave me that fish eyed stare when confronted by danger and cocked the Lewis, letting off a couple of rounds to ensure it was ready to go.

Name:	003 P1430598 800.jpg 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	279710
    As the range closed I could see we were up against 4 E111’s, more than I’d seen before in one pack, and beyond them were what looked like Albatros CI’s.

Biff continued on serenely ignoring the enemy, I remember thinking I hope he’s seen them and we’re not ploughing straight into a death trap, but of course even after such a short acquaintance with the man I knew he would be aware of them and was just carrying on with his plan of action.

Name:	004 P1430596 800.jpg 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	279711
    Rory was out on our right hand side protected by the rest of us, he is just about to turn to port, enabling him to land on the beach.

Name:	005 P1430600 800.jpg 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	279712
    He’s made the turn and is perfectly placed to drop down onto the beach, just need to get the height dead right for this short landing space.

Name:	006 P1430605 800.jpg 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	279713
    Just then the Fokker’s closed in and bullets started to fly, Joe got a quick shot into a Fokker with a blue stripe on its body and almost immediately smoke started pouring from its fuselage, but the Fokker didn’t falter and fired directly into MacIver’s Nieuport 12 although he didn’t seem to do too much damage.

Name:	007 P1430609 800.jpg 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	279714
    However he continued to fly directly at the Nieuport, pouring lead into MacIvers plane and seemed to do a lot more damage the closer he got. MacGreggor was not having any of this and returned the lead as hard and fast as he could.

Name:	008 P1430611 800.jpg 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	279715
    Rory is lined up ready to drop onto the beach and test the sand as he lands, up to the left is Biff in the FE but at the same altitude as Rory is a German plane, he is coming on a reciprocal course and looks determined to land and take the scientist or maybe just make sure the British pilots don’t rescue him.

Name:	009 P1430612 800.jpg 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	279716
    MacGreggor and the smoking Fokker continue to exchange fire as the Blue and Cameo Fokker’s collide, they do this very gently and do no damage to each other.
    At this point the red Albatros coming in to land chickens out, obviously not being able to face the probable collision with Rory’s plane, which is on the ground rolling along the beach and I’m starting to worry it’s going to overshoot and crash.

(I rolled a D6 for each of them, highest dice bugs out, evens they both continue, then another D6 to see where they go - 1,2 right, 3,4 left and 5,6 climbs)

Name:	010 P1430618 800.jpg 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	279717
    MacIver realises the Nieuport is taking too much damage to remain in the fight and so he pulls out of our circle and turns to starboard. The canny blue striped Fokker stays with him, continuing to fire into the damaged plane, causing it to fall out of the sky and crash into the sea.

Kill to Christian Rosenfeld

Name:	011 P1430623 800.jpg 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	279718
    Sorry - this is just a gratuitous picture of my four EIII’s all together.

Name:	012 P1430624 800.jpg 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	279719
    The Twa Jocks hit the water and immediately start to remove their heavy outer garments before the light weight plane starts to sink, they are not far from the shore, hopefully it’s not too far.

Ok maybe you can see the tactic that Biff discussed with the Bomber pilot in the bar. The British planes are flying in a circle over the beach, the intention is to be able to bring two or three guns to bear on any enemy approaching the circle and protect the landing area continually.

Pretty good heh!

Well we’ll see how it pans out now we are down to 3 planes and it’s more of a semi circle.

Joe and Podgy fire on the Albatros with the red griffon on its wing, this is the one that bugged out from landing in the face of Rory’s BE2, and they set it on fire. Podgy is closer and if it goes down he gets the kill.

Rory’s plane rolls to a halt, he’s down safely on the beach and 2 figures run over to his plane.

There was no mention of how long the planes remained on the ground and so I decided it would be 1D3 turns, he threw a 4 so 2 turns, this is going to put a crimp in things!

Name:	013 P1430626 800.jpg 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	279720
    Bouncer Berry’s practice with the clay pigeon’s has improved his deflection shooting no end and he’s making mince meat of the Blue striped Fokker. Unfortunately whoever’s flying it, is now blowing lumps out of my plane, damaging my rudder so I can’t turn left, of course as I’m in a circle turning right it’s OK for now.
    At this point I’m not sure I like Biffs tactic of forming a defensive circle, I would much sooner go for them like a mad dog, but Berry’s accurate fire downs the Fokker and I’m off the hook.

Kill to Berry.

Name:	014 P1430630 800.jpg 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	279721
    A few moves later both Pogson and Joe Ryan are pouring lead into the CDL Fokker, he must have jammed his gun because there’s no return fire, bad luck for him but good for us, although when Joes gun jams, he reaches down under his seat and pulls out a big wooden mallet and starts to hit the Lewis gun, I wonder where he got that idea from?
    The other 2 EIII’s have flown through our semi circular defensive net and are headed away from the fight.

Off to the left, an Albatros with a Blue Griffon emblazoned on its top wing is coming in low and fast, looks like it’s going to try and land but it will have to skip over Rory who is still parked on that end on the beach, it’s going to be tight.

It’s not clear from the photo but Rory’s BE2c card is waiting on the left of the beach for the scientist to turn the plane around and climb aboard. I had far too many planes in far too little room.

Name:	015 P1430635 800.jpg 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	279722
    The Blue Albatros makes his approach.

It’s still not clear but my plane card is over the top of Rory’s plane card, the 1 indicates Rory still has 1 turn to wait before taking off but his plane has been turned to face the right way for the take off, just need his passenger to climb in.

Name:	016 P1430636 800.jpg 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	279723
    The 2 EIII’s had both Imelled and were now flying back through the semi circle, spraying Plaskitt-Smythes machine with bullets, P-S took one in the thigh and it’s bad. Podgy Pogson is defending them as best he can and is causing significant damage to the Cameo Fokker and Joe is firing from the our FE2 at the other one, the mallet trick obviously works.
    Rory has his passenger on board and is preparing to take off, he can see the Albatros at the other end of the beach, still moving away from him.

Name:	017 P1430640 800.jpg 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	279724
    The fire gets worse on the red Unicorn Albatros. Looks like Podgy is going to be able to claim a kill rather than a possible.

Name:	018 P1430641 800.jpg 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	279725
    Ishiro Takahashi had planned to land at this point, BE2's are so slow to turn that he’s been stooging around for a while now, but he has to pull to the right to avoid everyone on the beach, you can just see his card turning to starboard as the Blue Unicorn Albatros rolls to a halt under the base of Plaskitt-Smythe’s plane.

Plaskitt-Smythe is wounded and headed for home, Pogson is in the perfect position to shoot into the cameo Fokker and takes full advantage of it. We are down to 2 planes flying in circles! Biff and myself, and Biff takes a hail of lead from the Blue and the CDL Fokker.

Rory has started his take off and made his first move, he can see the Albatros pilot has climbed out of the plane and is running up the beach with a pistol in his hand.

Name:	019 P1430644 800.jpg 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	279726
    Rory gets airborne just before he reaches the Albatros.

Name:	020 P1430647 800.jpg 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	279727
    I’m concentrating so hard on following Biff that I don’t see the cameo Fokker and run straight into the back of him. We get away with barely a scratch but he takes a lot of damage and spirals down into the ground.

This all happens over the top of the BE2c taking off, the BE2 is shown over the top of the other plane cards. Confusing ain’t it. 0 damage to us 6 to the Cameo Fokker.

Pogson was the last to fire into the cameo Fokker so probably gets the kill, but Joe who was sat in the front of the FE2b, claims he should get the kill as he hit the Fokker with the un-jamming mallet when we flew into it.

Dave I await your decision but don’t forget Joe ran numbers for Bugsey Morane, whatever that is.

Kill to Pogson

Name:	021 P1430649 800.jpg 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	279728
    Just a quick shot to show Plaskitt-Smythe slowly turning to head for home, Rory taking off and just clearing the Albatros, the 2 indicates the German has 2 turns before taking off. And over on the far side Ichiro is doing a long slow BE2 turn so that he can attempt another go at landing, hopefully the beach will be cleared by then.

You may be thinking that he’s going to be too late to collect the Engineering Assistant but he’s seen the Twa Jocks struggle ashore and is going to try and save them.

Name:	022 P1430650 800.jpg 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	279729
    I’m too close to the CDL Fokker so Joe fires at the blue one, I think he was too far away from the CDL one to hit it with the mallet, but he causes some obvious damage to the blue one, however I see a red flare fired from Biffs plane, that means every man for himself. Great I can stop flying in circles like a spinning top and kill some Huns.

Name:	023 P1430652 800.jpg 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	279730
    At point blank range Joe misses, I tell him later he should have used the mallet. He didn’t see the funny side for some reason.

Name:	024 P1430654 800.jpg 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	279731
    I’d decided to chase after the blue Fokker, but he Imelled and came back so fast neither of us got a shot.

Name:	025 P1430656 800.jpg 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	279732
    The lone Albatros, he’s still on fire but also still flying.

Name:	026 P1430658 800.jpg 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	279733
    Biff gets Berry into range and Berry hits his target.

Name:	027 P1430659 800.jpg 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	279734
    The Fokker pilot has persuaded the Engineer to turn his plane around, it could be something to do with the big pistol he is holding, pointed very steadily at the Engineers head. Now all he needs to do is persuade him to climb into the back seat of the plane.
    This is all going to be a bit touch and go because Takahashi has finally brought the unwieldy BE2 into a position where he can attempt a landing.

Name:	028 P1430660 800.jpg 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	279735
    The two EIII’s were low on fuel and headed home but caught Biff in a Fokker sandwich.

The Albatros has started to take off. You can’t see this but the Engineer has unbuckled his flying harness, the Albatros pilot can’t see this either!!

Name:	029 P1430661 800.jpg 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	279736
    Maybe if you look closely you can see now. Takahashi is loosing height and preparing to land.

Name:	030 P1430662 800.jpg 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	279737
    I was so excited at this point because in spite of my renowned poor flying I had managed to bring the plane round and I was between the 2 Fokker’s and their escape route. I also knew they were both badly damaged and it wouldn’t take much to shoot them down. That’s when I drew 0 damage and gun jammed. I could have hit the bally thing with a mallet.

Name:	031 P1430665 800.jpg 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	279738
    Both planes are on the ground powering fast in the same direction, one trying to go faster and one to go slower.

In the Mess later Takahashi said he couldn’t believe his eyes. The Engineer stood up as the Albatros was racing down over the sand and leaned forward.

Name:	032 P1430668 800.jpg 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	279739
    The Engineer put his hands over the pilots eyes and the poor guy had to decide if he should pull back on the stick or not, the dice decided not and he ploughed straight off the beach and onto the scrubby foreshore, the plane cartwheeled, a body was thrown out and landed 15 yards away. There was an explosion as the fuel tank caught fire and Takahashi is still rolling down the sand, too slow to take off and too fast to stop!!

I went with 1D6 – 6 takes off and is OK, 5 takes off blind, see what happens next go, 4 veers right, 3 veers left, 1,2 carries straight on. Rolled 1 Crashed on take off.

Kill to the Engineer?

Name:	033 P1430667 800.jpg 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	279740
    Berry gets a quick shot into the blue EIII.

Name:	034 P1430669 800.jpg 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	279741
    It slowly falls apart and splashes into the sea.

Kill for Berry

Name:	035 P1430671 800.jpg 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	279742
    Berry trades shots with the CDL Fokker, they both take damage but neither plane goes down and then the Fokker flies free and heads for home, having a damaged engine Biff lets him go.

Name:	036 P1430673.jpg 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	279743
    After flying round in circles, figure of eights and donuts, the red Unicorn Albatros finally burns through something vital and crashes.

Kill to Pogson.

Name:	037 P1430674 800.jpg 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	279744
    It was the Engineer who was throw clear and I treated them as if crashed, EXP -3 but I rolled 12 so landed on their feet.
    MacGreggor and MacIver were not so lucky, both were injured, MacGreggor quite badly, but taking a leaf out of Dave’s book I decided to load everyone into the BE2, this would be a problem because the load it can carry is only 16 stone, however Takahashi is Japanese, small lithe and more importantly thin.

Name:	038Rosie--400.jpg 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	279745
    And Rosie the Engineer was also small lithe and thin, although maybe with a few more muscles, together they weighed 15 stone 13lb.

Name:	039 P1430675 800.jpg 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	279746
    I didn’t pre measure this but decided the Albatros crashed at the end of the beach would take ฝ the length of it’s card as debris that was 30mm, the tide was coming in and would take 20mm off the length of the beach, so 250mm – 30 -20. They pushed the plane back as far as it would go and Takahashi sat on MacIvers lap, MacIver operated the foot controls and Takahashi the joystick and throttle.

Name:	040 P1430676 800.jpg 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	279747
    With the throttle wide open they set off down the beach and starting to gain speed.

Not a lot of space left!!!

Name:	041 P1430677 800.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	279748
    There is a couple of mm before the red dot covers the end of the beach. WHOO HOO

Name:	042 P1430678 800.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	279749
    They made it.

You could be mealy mouthed and argue it would take longer to get airborne with a full load but I wouldn’t listen to you, it’s Christmas after all.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 12-24-2019 at 09:05.

Epilogue

Butchers Bill

Name:	050.JPG 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	279762
    FE2b

Lt Montague Anstruther-Browne = FRTB-E – No Kills

F/Sgt Wilfred Berry = FRTB-E – 2 Kills (Danhuber & Rosenfeld)

Dave I was short of an Observer so used Berry who is a pilot, as it’s Christmas you could allow the kills or I’m quite happy if we just call it an unknown observer and ignore the kills.

Name:	051.JPG 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	279763
    FE2b

2/Lt John Vagabond = RTB – 1 Kill (Hubrich - by collision)

2/Lt Joseph Ryan = RTB – No Kills with the Lewis but hit the Cameo Fokker with his mallet

Name:	052.JPG 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	279764
    Nieuport 10’s

2/Lt Hugh MacIver = SD – No Kills
    C & W = Rolled 9 -1SD -1SEA = 7 Injured – Skip 1D2 - Rolled 1 = Skip 1
    E & E = Got a lift home.

AM2 Alec MacGreggor = SD – No Kills
    C & W = Rolled 5 -1SD -1SEA = 5 Injured – Skip 1D6 - Rolled 5 = Skip 5
    E & E = Got a lift home

Lt Charles Plaskitt-Smythe = - WIA - RTB - 0 Kills
    C & W = Rolled 7 -1 WIA +1 RTB =7 Injured – Skip 1D2 Rolled 2 = Skip 1 Returns next year.

AM1 Raymond ‘Podgy’ Pogson = RTB – 1 Kill (Averes)

Name:	053.JPG 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	279765
    BE2b’s

2/Lt Ruairidh ‘Rory’ MacNair = RTB with Scientist – No Kills

2/Lt Ichiro Takahashi = RTB with a bus load – No Kills

Name:	054Rosie--400 - Copy.jpg 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	279766
    Rosie the Engineer = RTB – 1Kill (Frickhart)

Maybe I should recruit her and she can use the alias Bob.

Name:	055 <acronym title=bob.jpg  Views: 41  Size: 21.1 KB  ID: 279767" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	056.jpg 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	279768
    Lt Christian Rosenfeld = SD - 1Kill (MacIver)
    C & W = Rolled 5 -1 SD -1 SEA = 3 Injured Skip 1D6 – Rolled 6 = Skip 6 Out for this year.
    E & E = Rolled 8 -1WIC -1SEA -1BEL = 5 In Hiding Skip 1D2 – Rolled 4 = Skip 2

Lt Walter Hubrich = Col 0 Kills
    C & W = Rolled 7 -1 SD = 6 Injured Skip 1D3 = Rolled 3 = Skip 2 Out for the year.
    E & E = Rolled 10 -1WIC -1BEL = 8 Skip 1

Name:	057.jpg 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	279769
    ObLtn Josef Schneidewind = RTB - No Kills

Ltn Friedrich Dannhuber = SD – No Kills
    C & W = Rolled 10 -1SD = 9 Alls well
    E & E = Rolled 9 –BEL = 9 They didn’t even see me.
    Yeah they did ! E & E = Rolled 9 –1BEL = 8 - Landed almost home! - Skip 1 Scenario

Name:	058.jpg 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	279770
    ObLtn Paul Averes = SD (FL) - No Kills
    C & W = Rolled 12 -2 FLM = 10 Alls well
    E & E = Rolled 4 -1FLM – BEL = 2 Interned by the Dutch, the war is over for this pilot.

Ltn Sebastian Frickart = Crashed on Takeoff – EXP No Kills
    C & W = Rolled 11 -3EXP = 8 Injured Skip 1D2 – Rolled 4 = Skip 2 Out for the year.
    E & E = Rolled 3 -1 EXP -1WIC -1BEL = 0 Interned by the Dutch, the war is over for this pilot.

But he's an observer ?!

Well that was a mammoth game, it took place over 3 days and longer to write it up and sort out the photos. I’ve been wanting to try the 2 seat circle being attacked by scouts for a long time but not had the opportunity before.
    It was a big mistake in game terms because I was flying 4 planes in a circle, then trying to land 4 planes underneath the circle and having 4 planes attack the circle – madness. There just wasn’t enough room and on top of that I used 3D terrain and real sand for the beach.

The C.O. gave us a wild card game here and I had a lot of fun with it as well as a little exasperation 

Sorry about the light shining off my sea, part way through the game I decided to buy a proper sea mat and it arrived today, well it is Christmas tomorrow.

On that note I would like to wish all the participants in OTT all the very best for Christmas and the New Year and I look forward to flying with you again soon. (Now when is that December scenario going to get posted?)
    Last edited by flash; 12-29-2019 at 02:19.

Lovely stuff John - a wild ride for both sides, a well constructed & well told story stuffed with action and adventure.

Uncle says:

Well done chaps, scooped up the people & made it home more or less in one piece, alive at least.
    Ryan can keep his mallet -2Lt John Vagabond credited a kill for ramming the Fokker - downed him by Collision !
    F/Sgt Wilfred Berry credited with his brace even if not an observer... His pilot Montague Anstruther-Browne isn't a f'n tandem pilot either ! Let it slide this once - if you don't have crew you need and don't have time (or can't be arsed) to ask before the event just add them into the story & we'll add them post AAR.
    On similar note Ltn Sebastian Frickart is an observer, no wonder he crashed ! Think you meant to select the bloke above him. Grassman ?
    2/Lt Joseph 'Joe' Ryan is awarded the Military Cross & Croix de Guerre from our allies for his service and victories so far.
    Lt Christian Rosenfeld earned his pilots badge with his victory.

HoHoHo - Merry Christmas !
    Last edited by flash; 12-29-2019 at 02:12.

"He is wise who watches"

Terrific tale, John.
    You added a lot of little extras that had me chuckling.
    That BE.2 must have been scraping the trees with that payload!
    (or maybe it was the rare new model BE.8 ?)

I do wish the WingCo had given us a bit bigger beach to land on - it was like trying to land at Piccadilly Circus, as you also found out the hard way.
    Rep on the way via courier pigeon - let's hope Biff doesn't shoot it down ...

P.S.
    Sorry about the light shining off my sea, part way through the game I decided to buy a proper sea mat and it arrived today,
    And here was I going to say I really liked the look of your Naugahyde sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Terrific tale, John.
    You added a lot of little extras that had me chuckling.
    That BE.2 must have been scraping the trees with that payload!
    (or maybe it was the rare new model BE.8 ?)

I do wish the WingCo had given us a bit bigger beach to land on - it was like trying to land at Piccadilly Circus, as you also found out the hard way.
    Rep on the way via courier pigeon - let's hope Biff doesn't shoot it down ...

P.S.

And here was I going to say I really liked the look of your Naugahyde sea.
    Thanks Pete, I hope everything is ok with you now, 2019 and you've been through the wars a bit, one way and another.

All year I've been intending buying a couple of BE2c's and I've finally done it, they should be arriving mid Jan so no more substitutions

Cheers and enjoy your Christmas.

Thumbs up

WOW! What a stouch that was John!
    Great story line to get the scenario going.
    As usual wonderful mat & scenery & a well told tale of daring do with some interesting inventive additions.
    Have some Rep for Christmas!.

Excellent John. Another fine tale of derring-do, told in the spirit of Christmas. Love the action taken by Rosie the Engineer and the scenery and photos were great. Congrats for the outcome and the gongs - well done those men and that woman

Santa sends some rep

What a wild melee! Ambitious of you to try and handle so many aircraft, but it did seem to work out of you in the end. And the actual sand added a lot to the story. Entirely rep-worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Lovely stuff John - a wild ride for both sides, a well constructed & well told story stuffed with action and adventure.

Uncle says:

Well done chaps, scooped up the people & made it home more or less in one piece, alive at least.
    Pogson can keep his mallet - Lt Charles Plaskitt-Smythe credited a kill for ramming the Fokker - downed him by Collision !
    F/Sgt Wilfred Berry credited with his brace even if not an observer... His pilot Montague Anstruther-Browne isn't a f'n tandem pilot either ! Let it slide this once - if you don't have crew you need and don't have time (or can't be arsed) to ask before the event just add them into the story & we'll add them post AAR.
    On similar note Ltn Sebastian Frickart is an observer, no wonder he crashed ! Think you meant to select the bloke above him. Grassman ?
    2/Lt Joseph 'Joe' Ryan is awarded the Military Cross & Croix de Guerre from our allies for his service and victories so far.
    Lt Christian Rosenfeld earned his pilots badge with his victory.

HoHoHo - Merry Christmas !
    Happy New Year Dave Sorry about the confusion in the Butchers Bill, I can only claim insanity and maybe a little too much Christmas cheer.

Pogson can keep his mallet - Lt Charles Plaskitt-Smythe credited a kill for ramming the Fokker - downed him by Collision !
    It was Joe Ryan who was wielding the mallet and John Vagabond who was flying and caused the collision, but happy to leave things as they are for ease.

Ltn Sebastian Frickart is an observer, no wonder he crashed ! Too right, it was Wilhelm Heinrich who was on the next line on my sheet, just went cross eyed. You've marked Frickart as crashed - serves him right, he's no business flying a plane without his wings.

I suppose it was inevitable that having only made a few mistakes with the rules I should make a mess of the Butchers. Mia Culpa

Thanks for the Rep guys, if only I could placate Uncle things would be hunky dory.
    Cheers

New I should not have bought you that tenth G&t in the Mess John.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    New I should not have bought you that tenth G&t in the Mess John.
    Kyte.
    Yep I think it was the 10th that did it

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Thanks for the Rep guys, if only I could placate Uncle things would be hunky dory.
    Cheers
    No point in trying for the impossible, John.

It was Joe Ryan who was wielding the mallet and John Vagabond who was flying and caused the collision, but happy to leave things as they are for ease.
    Stuff that - credit where credit due - Vagabond gets the kill.

Ltn Sebastian Frickart is an observer, no wonder he crashed !
    Too right, it was Wilhelm Heinrich who was on the next line on my sheet, just went cross eyed. You've marked Frickart as crashed - serves him right, he's no business flying a plane without his wings...
    Well, you have plenty observers...!

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Stuff that - credit where credit due - Vagabond gets the kill. [/FONT]
    Well if I can't shoot them down I'll fly into them in future
    Cheers

As I have found out to my cost in the past, that can be a double edged weapon John.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-18-2019, 04:16
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-17-2019, 02:22
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-17-2019, 02:19
  4. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-17-2019, 01:59
  5. BRF OTTDYM Mission 11 - Hoisted By His Own Petard - March the 19th 1916 - Kyte
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 11-13-2019, 16:35