Ares Games

Thread: WMMS 2020 Sunday 8th March.

Default WMMS 2020 Sunday 8th March.

WMMS 2020. West Midlands Military Show. Sunday 8th March. At Aldersley Leisure Village Aldersley Rd Wolverhampton WV6 9NW Doors Open 10:00am.

Any volunteers for this show for next year, do we wish to participate again ?

Let me know if / who would like to attend and we will get a table organised.

I should be free for the Sunday

I hope to be available for this one.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

In the calendar, couldn’t make it last year, doubly determined to get there this time.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

I will be also going to WMMS this year.

Been having a few chats with Mark... Tripods looking like a winner for one table.

I am planning of sorting out various terrain to make our game of Tripods & Triplanes a 3D game. So I am going to buy hills, a pre painted river, more trees from my LGS. From Timecast Miniatures I will be buying some shell holes, shelled buildings and a Sedan style fort with some barbed wire defenses. The scale that I will be using is 6mm so it should look alright on the table top.

Sorry guys but I will not be able to attend.

I need to confirm this to the organisers this weekend, so far we have asked for tWo tables, Sails and WW1, if I cannot make sails or no punters want sails then we can swap to Tripods.
    If this acceptable and we have three members confirm .I will confirm the tables, please let me know by Sunday

I’m there think Baron Rolf and I will be doing some serious Tri podding...

Phew... panicked for a moment, for some reason had this on calendar for Saturday 7th, which beings as I am in Lancashire for wedding venue visit/wine and menu testing would have caused a problem... thankfully it’s on the Sunday, so full steam ahead...

@Flying Helmut - Hi Tim, having a nightmare with the PM system. Hoping this works now. I will be at WMMS to meet you there!

Looking forward to seeing you there Jamie

I will be there, but am facing a possible problem - I don't do "Sails" (you might have noticed!) but I don't do "Tripods" either!

I suppose I'll be able to coach punters in how to fly WW1 planes against the Tripods, but I have no knowledge or experience of the combat capability match-up....................

I look forward to meeting up with you, Jamie!

Just a reminder for thisshow this coming Sunday, if about pop along and say hello, wewillhave the new Wingco, Tim and Mark showing off Tripods while myself and Simin will be on the briney. See all Sunday.

What do I need to bring?

Banner is a given...…………….

Got it!

Sorry been a tad busy, Tim, look forward to seeing you on Sunday, I was going to reply to your question but see Mark has already contacted you.
    Of course there is space on the Sa......... sorry silly me, momentary lapse

i will bring my WW1 stuff, need to thwart those pesky martians somehow.... mmm sounds like a job for a flight of Brisfits...

Any excuse to bring out your Brisfits Chris . Hopefully the Human scouts and two seaters will be feeling the burn from the Martian heat rays .

My terrain is all packed and ready for Sunday. I will hopefully get there for 8.30 a.m to start setting up our Tripods & Triplanes table.

Plan on setting off at 06:30 so should be there for around 08:30 as well

06:00 departure for me, then!

Best wishes for Sunday's event. May you have many interested visitors and exciting games.

Thanks David

OK so I am starting the book on what time the fire alarm goes off and we all get evacuated (as per usual)... I am going for 13:25

If anyone going tomorrow has any Tripods could you bring them along please, the more the merrier...

Lots of pics of the awesome terrain please.
    See you on the Dark Side......

I got a full starter set plus a couple of other tripods, will bring along.

Back from a quiet WMMS. Nice to see Chris (Boney10), Simon (Maverick), Tim (Flying Helmut) and Mark (Baron Rolf) flying the AERODROME flag. Massive thanks to Mark for all his hard work creating the Scenery etc. For the Tripods game. Will post AAR and photos tomorrow but headlines were that three tripods were destroyed for the loss of zero planes. Poor Mark, lol

My track record at this show continues by having what I use getting shot to pieces .

Blame the scenery Mark, it kept tripping you up...

Curse those new fangled Tripods .

Curse those old-fashioned hedges/trees/rivers/bushes*

*delete as appropriate!

The Martian Invaders are tamping across our green and pleasant land.... who will stop them turning the quaint village into a mess of red weed?

Name:  20200308_102411.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  109.6 KB

The first two Tripods begin their rapid advance...

Name:  20200308_102422_001.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  106.9 KB

Oh NO, our European cousins have seemingly left us poor Brits on our own. Only one thing for it, time to get my Bristols out. And yes Tim they are the upgunned, only flown once example, but these are dire times and the mechanics are upgunning everything they can get their hands on.

Name:  20200308_102438.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  120.0 KB
    Swooping low across the rooftops...

Formation flying here ready to give their all against the unstoppable Martian war machines

Name:  20200308_102445.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  125.9 KB

Wider shot of the arena, some lovely scenery from both Mark and Tim

Name:  20200308_102454.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  119.9 KB

Flat out our courageous RFC pilots zoom across the river heading to intercept the enemy...

Name:  20200308_103719.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  117.6 KB

Hang on, maybe our European friends have realised we are all in this together, hurrah for the hun !! A pair of Hanovers wing in across the fens, racing to assist...

Name:  20200308_104828.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  116.6 KB

Yes Tim, those Tripods are fast, yes Tim you should have brought a faster plane

Name:  20200308_110647.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  110.9 KB

Battle if joined, now if only there was something that could slow these Martian monstrosities down..

Name:  20200308_115116.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  120.6 KB

Hooray for the scenery, our charging Martians have encountered a ploughed field and some swampy ground (well it has been raining a lot) and ooops, one has stumbled, having avoided the farting black cloud of doom, the pilots swoop in... after one of the Bristols opens fire with its front guns damaging the Martian shields, the Hanovers finally catch up and the combined attack of 6 x 'B' damage cards shreds whats left of the shields and destroys the first of the invaders.

Name:  20200308_123523.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  122.9 KB

Now for the big blue meany Martian, who has tripped over the church (how careless, maybe it was after the lead on the roof), both Bristols engage and riddle the waddling metal beast with hundreds of rounds of the finest .303 the girls in the factories could produce, and its TWO DOWN, hmmm says Mark it looks like its going to be one of those days... again !

Name:  20200308_123854.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  108.8 KB

However, all is not lost for the Martians, we finally attract a young passerby who is eager to try his hand piloting a tripod. Should be fine as kids always seem to do really well at shows, surely this is the point at which the battle turns in the invaders favour and the little town is reduced to a pile of festering red weed...

Name:  20200308_124329.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  116.0 KB

or not......

The final Martian (yes a 4th one joined the fray) decides, sod this for a game of soldiers and heads back from whence it came, somewhere nice and flat with no scenery...

Resisting the urge to shoot up the Hanovers, the brave boys of the RFC head home for a well earned cup of tea, safe in the knowledge, that for today at least this small corner of England remains a green and pleasant land.

Our Tripods table

Attachment 283430

Name:  20200308_102545.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  113.6 KB

and again

Name:  20200308_102603.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  104.9 KB

so much work went into this, its just a shame there were so few visitors... nice to meet up with the chaps though

It seems like you had a good game. The scenery looks great!

Things might have been different, if the Tripods had laid down several clouds of black smoke behind them.

David I was chucking out black smoke everywhere. And everything was going according to plan. But as Chris has mentioned the Martians quickly found out the hard way and toppled over things. Then they were ganged up on by the Humans. It was such a shame that we only had one young lad joining in our game. We did manage to have quite a few folk pop over and have a peek at the game. And I was talking to a chap who has Tripods & Triplanes, plus a few Wings of Glory WW1 planes. Him and his friend attend my local wargames club on Sundays and I attend on Friday nights. So if I can persuade them to attend Fridays club night. They can join me and Roger who I thought was my only local opponent. We can have some real fun games, which is a result in my books.

I think the Martians got their fart smoke mixture wrong as virtually every damage card was a zero or a one.....

Great sceanrio and setup, Chris!
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Great looking game chaps and piles of Tripod scrap for those Land-ship bods to build on !

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Hammerhead 2020 Saturday 14th March
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 03-20-2020, 08:24
  2. Hammerhead 2020 March 14
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-24-2019, 19:59
  3. WMMS 2019 Sunday 10 March