Ares Games

Thread: CONCEPT - The War of the Worlds Campaign flavor text

Users Country Flag

Name
    D. Scott Stewart
    Sorties Flown

Default CONCEPT - The War of the Worlds Campaign flavor text

I've been working on the campaign and things are starting to congeal. I've got half the scenarios laid out. I'm not going to release an alpha until all of the scenarios are ready for feedback, but I wanted to let you know the plans after re-reading the novel and my ideas/inspiration for the campaign. The quotes in italics are from the novel with the regular text being my own flavor that inspired the scenario.

The Cylinder Opens
    March 25, 1918

”With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over matter.” ~ The War of the Worlds

Rumors of Martian scouting missions had only recently reached the White Cliffs of Dover from the Western European front. In our hubris the nations of Europe believed the assault repulsed, our divine right affirmed. The first wave of landings targeting our sovereign soil appeared like those on the continent - meant as a test of our resolve - with an expeditionary landing impacting at Woking, Surry. Our response at was woefully inadequate due to the commitment of resources on the continent.

The Fighting Begins
    March 27, 1918

“It would seem that these giants spent the earlier part of the afternoon in going to and fro, transferring everything from the second and third cylinders—the second in Addlestone Golf Links and the third at Pyrford—to their original pit on Horsell Common.” ~ The War of the Worlds

Mankind was still reeling from the first assault when the second wave of cylinder landings began a few days later. The Martians had established a foothold and were now consolidating their supply chain – a clear indication they were preparing for a lengthy campaign.

The Work of Fifteen Days
    April 11, 1918

“When I had last seen this part of Sheen in the daylight it had been a straggling street of comfortable white and red houses, interspersed with abundant shady trees. Now I stood on a mound of smashed brickwork, clay, and gravel, over which spread a multitude of red cactus-shaped plants, knee-high, without a solitary terrestrial growth to dispute their footing.” ~ The War of the Worlds

We quickly realized that the Martians planned on remaking the Earth in their own twisted image, destroying our food supply by corrupting our soil with the red weed. If Mankind was to have any chance of survival, we must not allow the diseased plant to spread.

The Exodus from London
    April 14, 1918

“So you understand the roaring wave of fear that swept through the greatest city in the world just as Monday was dawning—the stream of flight rising swiftly to a torrent, lashing in a foaming tumult round the railway stations, banked up into a horrible struggle about the shipping in the Thames, and hurrying by every available channel northward and eastward.” ~ The War of the Worlds

As the Martians advanced toward London unabated and the stench of death began to waft through the streets, the population’s faith in our military might and resolve faded, giving way to panic and desperation, fleeing the city by any means necessary, choking the roads and the river Thames itself.

Dead London
    April 20, 1918

“The farther I penetrated into London, the profounder grew the stillness. But it was not so much the stillness of death—it was the stillness of suspense, of expectation. At any time the destruction that had already singed the northwestern borders of the metropolis, and had annihilated Ealing and Kilburn, might strike among these houses and leave them smoking ruins.” ~ The War of the Worlds

The united might of Europe has come together in what was greatest city in the world for what may very well be the final stand for humanity.

The Epilogue
    April 22, 1918

But there are no bacteria in Mars, and directly these invaders arrived, directly they drank and fed, our microscopic allies began to work their overthrow. Already when I watched them they were irrevocably doomed, dying and rotting even as they went to and fro. It was inevitable. ~ The War of the Worlds

We realized that the germs of disease to which we spent centuries living amongst and by birthright became resistant to would be the salvation of our species. The smallest, microscopic of creatures would be the undoing of our Martian invaders.
    Last edited by maestrostewart; 12-21-2019 at 16:41.

I love it, a great start to the campaign. Looking forward to seeing how you intend each chapter to play!

Similar Missions

1. Tutotial: Adding a picture or Text to a post.
    By gully_raker in forum Site Rules and Info
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-11-2021, 22:39
  2. CONCEPT - War of the Worlds Campaign
    By maestrostewart in forum T&T: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-17-2019, 15:36
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-01-2014, 12:26
  4. 3D Printing of a different flavor....
    By somaliavet in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-19-2012, 10:38
  5. Posting Text Files
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-22-2012, 14:24