Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Complete Beginner Questions

The Ace rulers are for both WW1 & WW2 Ivan.

"He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ivan
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    The Ace rulers are for both WW1 & WW2 Ivan.

I always use the point system to create balanced oppositional forces, but more importantly, it fixes some of the aircraft that have underperforming rules/decks based on history (see P-51v190). But I am in the minority here about this perspective, so all I can say is find what you like in the game and ignore the rest. Play as you like is a luxury because there is not enough of a "scene" to enforce standards.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ivan
    Sorties Flown

With David's and community's help as well as my hunt for various plains, I hope to get this collection

German

Fighters

- 2x Messerschmitt Bf.109 (Battle of Britain core set)
    - Messerschmitt Bf.109 K-4 (9./JG3)
    - Messerschmitt Bf.109 K-4 (Hartmann)

Bombers

- 2x Junkers Ju.87 B-2 (Sturzkampfgeschwader 77)
    - Messerschmitt Bf.110 C-4 (Radusch)

British

Fighters

- 2x Hawker Hurricane MK.1 (303 Polish Squadron)
    - 2x Spitfires (Battle of Britain core set)

Bombers

- Bristol Beaufighter Mk.IF (Herrick)

Soviet

Fighters

- 2x Yakovlev Yak-1 (Litvjak)
    - 2x Yakovlev Yak-1 (Luganskij)
    - 2x Hawker Hurricane Mk. IIB - Kuznetsov

Questions

Most of my games will be played with 2 to 4 people. Maybe one day I can get 5-6 players but that is just a dream for now.

1. Is one of each Messerschmitt Bf.110 and Beaufighter enough for fun scenarios or two of each would be preferred?

2. Four new planes should be released this year:

- Dornier Do.17 Z
    - Dornier Do.17 Z-10
    - Junkers Ju.88 A-1
    - Junkers Ju.88 A-4

How many would you recommend to get and if one of each, which model?

3. I assume that this collection is enough for European and Eastern front battles or would you recommend getting some additional planes/bombers? I am just worried that items are going out of stock.

4. Are these Litko products any good/useful?

- Litko Air Combat: Ground Target /AA Token Set, Multi-Color (27)

- LITKO Fire Indicators Clips Compatible with WoG Stackable Pegs, Fluore

- Litko Smoke Indicators
    Last edited by slyfox; 01-14-2020 at 18:56.

Okay skysters! The supply mission is off, winging its way to the north. Should arrive for a weekend of training for Ivan and his troops, thanks for your assist!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ivan
    Sorties Flown

I've managed to hunt down all of the items in my post #54 above.

However, I think I've made a mistake of getting:

Being new to the game, I learned that K-4 models were late warplanes. However, I've learned this after I placed the order.

With the combination of planes listed above, how can I make use of the game without breaking it?

Quote Originally Posted by slyfox View Post
    I've managed to hunt down all of the items in my post #54 above.

However, I think I've made a mistake of getting:

Being new to the game, I learned that K-4 models were late warplanes. However, I've learned this after I placed the order.

With the combination of planes listed above, how can I make use of the game without breaking it?
    Battle of Britain, 1940.
    The Germans were flying the E version of the Bf.109, anything from the -3 to the -7 (348 mph-ish, depending on variant). In game terms, the big difference is the maneuver decks, when compared to the K versions (416*mph) in 1944. Then, the E variants were using 20mm cannons and 7mm MGs, where the K variants were using 30mm cannons and 13mm MGs.

You could put the models on the table, but use E-4 cards (plane and maneuver deck)?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

If you do not mind them looking a little odd, you could play them in games using the Messerschmitt Bf.109E statistics (in place of their late war statistics) and B manoeuvre decks, which are in the Battle of Britain Starter Set.
    Last edited by Naharaht; 01-18-2020 at 09:48.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ivan
    Sorties Flown

BoB has one manoeuvre deck per each plane. Where/how can I get/use two more Bf.109E decks for the K-4 planes?

You may like to think about making your own, Ivan. They could be as simple as cards numbered 1 - 18 with descriptions like Straight, Stall, 30 degree Right Turn etc.. You play those on your control panel face down and then when moving you borrow the appropriate card from one of the B decks you own. Of course, you may think of some other way to make B decks.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ivan
    Sorties Flown

If not BoB, in which scenarios can I use K-4 models? Or which combination of planes can I use?

Something like

2x Hawker Hurricane MK.1 (303 Polish Squadron) and Bristol Beaufighter Mk.IF (Herrick)

vs.

- Messerschmitt Bf.109 E

As long as you fly the K-4s as E variants, fine. The K-4 maneuver deck is too fast for early fighters. The K-4 pilots can zoom through the other fighters, blasting away, and if they get into trouble, run away. The Hurricanes are at the mercy of the Germans. The Brits will only win by luck, or bad flying by the Germans.
    Mike

If not BoB, in which scenarios can I use K-4 models? Or which combination of planes can I use?
    Deliveries began in mid-October 1944 - So use them against late US fighters/bombers, late Mk Spits - maybe use them against your Soviet machines ?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messer...9_variants#K-4

"He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ivan
    Sorties Flown

Is it worth getting a second Messerschmitt Bf.110 and/or Bristol Beaufighter if I plan to get the two (maybe four) of the upcoming german bombers?

There are still some P-47 Thunderbolt models around and some B-17 Flying Fortresses.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ivan
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    There are still some P-47 Thunderbolt models around and some B-17 Flying Fortresses.
    I am trying to stick to the Battle of Britain and the Eastern front. Getting into American planes is too much at this time.

And the advice that I got earlier is to stay away from four-engine bombers as they look great but not really fun to play with.

For Battle of Britain extra Bf.110s are a good idea; not so much Beafighters.

My personal advice is to get as many of each plane type as you think you could afford and/or use!

My own experience was to ignore certain plane types @ RRP, then end up paying inflated "aftermarket" prices later on when I found I wanted more but couldn't get them.

The 4-engined bombers are significantly more time-consuming to play, and I find them to be less fun than other planes, especially for beginners/punters at open participation games.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I am trying to stick to the Battle of Britain and the Eastern front. Getting into American planes is too much at this time.

And the advice that I got earlier is to stay away from four-engine bombers as they look great but not really fun to play with.

i wouldnt say 4 engine bombers are necessarily not fun to play with. just very situational. they do make a nice break from endless dogfights though.

With David's and community's help as well as my hunt for various planes, I hope to get this collection...
    Mission accomplished ?!
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...nd-Accessories

"He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ivan
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I played the game about three times with my family members but it has been sitting on the shelf as we have little time to play and when we do, the family wants to play other games. I worry that the game will end up sitting on a shelf. That is why I made that post. I am still not sure.

At this point, the vision that I had in my mind (everyone playing and having fun) and the reality is different (game on the shelf).

I don't know maybe I should get everyone together and do a scenario game rather than 2 vs 2 dog fight. Maybe it will spark more interest.

If you want ideas for scenarios, if you go the the Fire in the Skies section, you can use the scenarios there.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ivan
    Sorties Flown

I need to convince my group to give the game a few more tries with specific scenarios.

A concern that was brought by a few players was the fiddliness of the game when two or more planes are flying over each other. I guess the best way to go about it is to remove the miniatures and have everyone use the cards during those situations?

I need to convince my group to give the game a few more tries with specific scenarios.

A concern that was brought by a few players was the fiddliness of the game when two or more planes are flying over each other. I guess the best way to go about it is to remove the miniatures and have everyone use the cards during those situations?
    Ther is no elegant solution for objects trying to occupy the same space. With a ground scale of 1/2300 and planes in 1/200 scale, overlap is going to happen. You could go to all cards in a scrum. I try to leave one plane on the table, if there isn't too many overlaps.

It gets nasty when the fighter attempts a stall, while under the stand of a bomber, though.
    Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Beginner's Luck?
    By Albert Ross in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-23-2015, 02:18
  2. Questions from a beginner - models and manoeuvre deck cards
    By Malibumax in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-22-2014, 03:51
  3. Beginner's guide for newbies building and mounting non-Ares planes. . . ?
    By Endless Grubs in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-29-2013, 13:57
  4. WGF Complete DH 4 set.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-15-2012, 02:55