Ares Games

Thread: Global Warming - We are all doomed

Default Global Warming - We are all doomed

Or so the "experts" say. For my fair country the forecast is for temperatures of 50C over much of the country. Rail services disrupted with buckled lines, flights cancelled, power failures due to the unprecedented use of air conditioners, and higher infant and senior mortality rates. Apart from that ... have a Merry Christmas.

Just curios what the doom and gloom merchants are saying about your countries and changing weather patterns?

This year several 37°C days, dry weather, some trees (pines, suprisingly) dying due to lack of water during summer in Central Europe. Still believe we can do something without panic and without polarization.

In our neck of the woods, it's nuisance tides. The top of the Chesapeake Bay is particularly affected by wind driven tides and combined with the correct lunar event, we find our docks and shorelines spending more time submerged than in previous years.

It's been the usual cold and rain here in the Pacific North-wet. In fact, I'd say it's been a typical autumn. If pressed, I'd have to say that the weather year-round seems slightly more mild than in my childhood, but that was almost 50 years ago and maybe I'm looking at the past with foggy memories.

Quote Originally Posted by LS650 View Post
    It's been the usual cold and rain here in the Pacific North-wet. In fact, I'd say it's been a typical autumn. If pressed, I'd have to say that the weather year-round seems slightly more mild than in my childhood, but that was almost 50 years ago and maybe I'm looking at the past with foggy memories.
    In Comox, further up Vancouver Island, we are having some of the driest months on record. The accumulation of dry months will devastate the rain forests here on the West Coast, eventually, if the dry months keep racking up.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    In our neck of the woods, it's nuisance tides. The top of the Chesapeake Bay is particularly affected by wind driven tides and combined with the correct lunar event, we find our docks and shorelines spending more time submerged than in previous years.
    Yep. The cove where I grew up had beaches at one time. Whenever I go back to visit my dad they just aren't there anymore.

Smile

Interesting times although a perusal of past records show that we had similar drought & high temperatures back in 1898 through to about 1909.
    Water levels here have not changed according to photographs of various locations taken from the early 1900 being compared to now.
    However we had had much colder temperatures in Victoria & Southern NSW including Snow while the fires were raging up Northern NSW.
    I just think the Alarmists are repeating the prophesy of doom we have been hearing for the last 15 or so years. You know the ones about the Polar Ice Caps melting, Pacific Islands going under water etc, etc.
    My opinion is that Climate Change is Cyclical & has been happening over the Millenniums.

Things are pretty much status quo here in Maine. Some winters are colder than others, and with very few exceptions, the summers are short and mild.

i remember when "they" were crying about overpopulation and starvation "soylent green is....PEOPLE". and then it was a coming new ice age. now its global warming "how DARE YOU!". i wonder what itll be next decade killer volcanoes?

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    i remember when "they" were crying about overpopulation and starvation "soylent green is....PEOPLE". and then it was a coming new ice age. now its global warming "how DARE YOU!". i wonder what itll be next decade killer volcanoes?
    Sadly Phillip we have just had one of those "Killer Volcanoes" down in New Zealand I kid you not.

Had a lot more rain in sudden downpours which have overwhelmed the flood defenses of the rivers in the last few years. This year has been especially bad with longer periods of uninterrupted rain doing a lot of damage to the infrastructure and crops.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

There's talk of advertising Buffalo NY as a climate-change refuge city. The Great Lakes north and west moderating temperatures.
    Given their regular snowfalls, warmer winters would be a blessing.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

At the moment the great lakes are very near or at an all time high. Buffalo might not be so attractive if the lake overflows it's banks regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Sadly Phillip we have just had one of those "Killer Volcanoes" down in New Zealand I kid you not.

sadly i had heard of that tragedy. i was thinking more of a movie where a volcano incongruously appeared in california.

My opinion is that Climate Change is Cyclical & has been happening over the Millenniums...

The graphic is from 2016. Latest data about sea temperatures from ARGO buoys in the oceans now strongly suggest that the "current path" is wildly optimistic.

Meanwhile, here in Canberra, Tuesday was the hottest day on record. Wednesday was the hottest day or record. Thursday was the hottest day on record. It's forecast to be *really* hot on Saturday though.

Within the last few years the Marine Chart Division updated the chart of Kingman Reef with new hydrographic data. We don't tend to fudge data, but I will say we were hard pressed to find anything that we could now consider dry land. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingman_Reef

It's usually better to avoid political topics, but I can't resist this time.

Consider two cases:
    • Let's say climate change/global warming is a hoax or is natural (and will reverse itself without our help), and we overreact to it. What are we left with? A lot of solar panels and wind turbines that we really didn't need to build after all. That's not too bad.
    • Now let's say it's real and we under-react and ignore it. Sea levels rise, hurricanes get worse, etc., you've seen the projections.

The consequences of under-reacting seem a lot worse than those of over-reacting.

It is 39c here at Parafield Airport, Adelaide 0800 and we are heading for a balmy 45c for the third consecutive day. Great day for laundry.

Thumbs up

Thanks for that fascinating chart Zoe. Great Stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post

Consider two cases:
    • Let's say climate change/global warming is a hoax or is natural (and will reverse itself without our help), and we overreact to it. What are we left with? A lot of solar panels and wind turbines that we really didn't need to build after all. That's not too bad.
    • Now let's say it's real and we under-react and ignore it. Sea levels rise, hurricanes get worse, etc., you've seen the projections.

The consequences of under-reacting seem a lot worse than those of over-reacting.

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post

Consider two cases:

or how about avoiding either extreme.

A lot of hot air either way. I can't possibly be a political discussion! If it were I would have to censure it.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

There have been an unprecedented number of weather events in the Central Bay Area of California, including high winds that exasperate wildfires.

Since I work in government I am apolitical and look to academic research and market adjustments to anticipate trends (governments tend to react). I find it interesting that scientists, such as James Lovelock, have attributed a some of the climate change impact to the massive amount of methane exuded from cattle due to the proliferation of fast food. I another words, cow farts. Recently fast food chains has started to offer veggie burgers marketed as a meat replacement. It is too early to know if the two have anything to do with each other as a long term shift but it will be something worth watching over the next decade. One way or another, it does show a positive health trend, along with all those people drinking bottles of green slime instead of sugar sweetened beverages.

Right, so all we have to do is kill the cows, close the baked bean factories, and eat like rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Thanks for that fascinating chart Zoe. Great Stuff.
    https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sto...0Kq2bFeGv11bEw

You getting to Cancon 2020 might be tricky. The Kangaroo Valley - Mittagong route might still be open, with luck, but it's most unlikely the King's Highway will be passable.

Yes I was discussing with Chris (Halvo) this afternoon.
    Another option is via Bega, the Brown Mountain, Cooma to Canberra.
    My Grandson Ben who lives in Canberra came down that way for Christmas but its a long haul.
    Will just have to "Wait & See"!
    Our local state member said in an interview today it might take a month to make the Kings safe for travel.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

It has been in the 50s and 60s here in SW Ohio since Christmas Eve, and we aren't really scheduled to have "typical winter weather" for the next ten days... So while it feels great to be wearing shorts again, it is definitely not the weather I remember from my youth or even a few years ago...

While I am not complaining about the lack of cold temps and snow to shovel, it certainly doesn't seem like Winter; and I have have always been partial to each season's unique aspects...

All the best,
    Matt

PS - Great chart/timeline, Zoe! Do you have a link to the source that you could perhaps add/post?

Had a foot of snow north of Detroit just after Halloween, and 50F deg temps this week. But then we still know very little about climate variances due to our very short data pool (couple of hundred years?). Consider the Romans growing grapes in England vs the middle ages mini Ice age and temps have always been all over the place. Add in we are starting a solar Min cycle which is why the poor growing season in 2019 happened and it is a coin toss. For the Cow Farts crew, cheer up. Between the pork disease culling the herd by 25% already and cattle ranchers culling their breeding herds because of water shortages and feed prices the generation of methane should diminish greatly in the next few years. We all my be a bit thinner due to food prices though (having a hard time finding a downside on that one)

I find this an interesting discussion about climate in other places, especially further North in the US, because we are considering a move from California to Illinois.

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    PS - Great chart/timeline, Zoe! Do you have a link to the source that you could perhaps add/post?

https://xkcd.com/1732/

I live in northern Illinois. The last 3 years we have had snow on the ground for Halloween, and 40 - 60 F around Christmas. Last year we had a few days in Jan. were the day time high was around -20 F. That's pretty cold. In 2018 and 2019 there was still snow in selected locations on Mothers Day. Also, the last frost for spring 2019 was on May 23. The last frost for spring 2018 was on May 20. I keep up on this because I am a gardener. Most of the county fairs in this area reported record lows in submitted agricultural entries. Dekalb County Fair had the fewest amount of ag submissions for the last 30 years. Temps may be rising in some places, but around here it definitely is getting colder.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer&pretzels View Post
    I live in northern Illinois. The last 3 years we have had snow on the ground for Halloween, and 40 - 60 F around Christmas. Last year we had a few days in Jan. were the day time high was around -20 F. That's pretty cold. In 2018 and 2019 there was still snow in selected locations on Mothers Day. Also, the last frost for spring 2019 was on May 23. The last frost for spring 2018 was on May 20. I keep up on this because I am a gardener. Most of the county fairs in this area reported record lows in submitted agricultural entries. Dekalb County Fair had the fewest amount of ag submissions for the last 30 years. Temps may be rising in some places, but around here it definitely is getting colder.
    One of the suspected effects of global warming, specifically warming ocean temps, is the weakening or elimination of the gulf stream. This would cause cooling of NW Europe, much like a lesser ice age.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Gary and all you pilots in Oz.

Wishing you all n your families safe. Thinking of you

Similar Missions

1. Fake e-mail warning about naharaht@global.net.ba
    By Naharaht in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-15-2015, 13:27
  2. General Free Global Shipping on All Orders $35+ - This Week Only
    By Flying Helmut in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-29-2015, 06:57
  3. AAR SND Week 5 - Global Skype Game - Fourway Dogfight!
    By OldGuy59 in forum Saturday Night Dogfight
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-25-2013, 08:39