Ares Games

Thread: Getting Started In Wings of Glory WW1 [UK player - late war]

Users Country Flag

Name
    Roy
    Sorties Flown

Default Getting Started In Wings of Glory WW1 [UK player - late war]

Reporting for duty
    Executive Officer to 2nd Lieutenant Augustine Regulus Bushygap (IAAC)

Welcome to the Aerodrome Mr Bushygap,

I hope your trip to the front was uneventful. Your transfer papers are in order, feel free to settle in to any of the empty huts across the airstrip, that is where all the pilots stay. I will be reviewing your training records and you will need to make at least one training Sortie before you receive active flying status and have complete access to the Aerodrome.

You should try and make time to attend the newcomers briefing. It will help you quickly get up to speed around here

-

2Lt Bushygap (IAAC) to Executive Officer

Namaste sir,

Good of you to welcome me, ta muchly. I must say this Vert Vallon place seems an awfully friendly place, full of good eggs. I'll mention this when I write mother to say I've joined Badmaash Flight - apologies, sir, I mean to say 'B' Flight.

Being in the Indian Army Aviation Corps is terribly exciting compared to my time in the Deccan Infantry. Thankfully, not many Naja cobras to be found in France, I'd imagine. I won't miss those. One time, at the gymkhana, this old fellow produced a whopping great snake, scared mother to the point of needing to retire for the day. Might be useful to have a house-snake on hand, though, to keep the mice down in the huts. Is there a place near-abouts that would have such a serpent do you know? There's a cat, you say. Jolly good.

Sorry, sir. I do, rather, ramble on a bit, don't I.

Yes-sir. Very good. I had best go and get settled in. I'll wander over to the Mess in a little while.

Best regards,
    one-pip Bushygap

original blog post https://bushygap.blogspot.com/2019/1...-for-duty.html

Users Country Flag

Name
    Roy
    Sorties Flown

Original blog post: https://bushygap.blogspot.com/2019/1...glory-ww1.html
    This blog post features pictures to help illustrate my purchases.

I've been buying Wings of Glory WW1 models for more than two years, I've even bought printed models from Shapeways to represent aeroplane models that the games' manufacturer doesn't produce, but I've never, actually, played a game.

I've been to numerous shows where I've had chance to play. But haven't. I've been member of a club where there has been games. I missed those meet ups. I've even helped to bring new players into the game (and the WW2 edition) and they're now veteran players, who've even put games on at shows. But I still haven't played.

Part of the problem is I've a health issue. Mental health. So, to try and help me help myself, I've decided to kick-start this aspect of the hobby and make 2020 the year I play games of Wings of Glory WW1.

Late war. 1918. Only using ten models. Five German. Five British. Played using the solo gaming mechanics and missions that are available from the Internet, via Herkybird or the Wings of Glory Aerodrome forum. The gaming space will be, either, one or two Wings of Glory gaming mats. At most, placing these mats long-edge to long-edge to make a larger gaming area that will fit atop a flat wooden board, perched atop the single bed in our back bedroom.

The aeroplane models I'll be using are all, currently, easily available. eBay. Amazon. Entoyment gaming hobby shop (in the UK). Other hobby outlets will sell them. They're, either, the latest re-releases, unfashionable so not many people buy them, or slightly obscure models of planes that didn't fly much in the war.

So what have I bought so I can start playing Wings of Glory WW1.

The rules and playing mats:

WW1 Wings of Glory - Rules and Accessories Pack

- in this instance, I bought this from a member of the Aerodrome forum at a wargames show.

Game Mat Countryside and Game Mat City

- both bought via Amazon.

The toy planes: (remember, I've decided to only use five German and five British models)

German - Fokker E.V

- bought via Amazon

German - Fokker E.V

- bought via eBay.
    I've bought two Fokker scouts for the German force. The price of the models were cheap, availability high, so it was an easy decision to make.

German - Albatros D.Va

- this model was actually bought in 2017, the second model I ever bought, but Albatros D.Va models are, still, readily available via Amazon or eBay as brand new packs.

German - captured Sopwith Camel

- bought via eBay.
    Bit of a cheat, this one. I wanted to play with a Camel model, but couldn't fit it into my five British machine list. So the Germans came to my rescue!

German - Rumpler C.IV

- bought via eBay. A two-seater to give some variation to games and scenario missions.

British - Sopwith Snipe

- bought via Amazon

British - Sopwith Snipe

- bought via Amazon. Yep, I bought two Snipes. The models were cheap. Maybe because not many people want to play with a machine that only arrived in the final weeks of the war?

British - RAF SE.5A

- bought via eBay

British - RAF R.E.8

- bought via ebay.

British - RAF R.E.8

- bought via ebay.
    Another case of buying two of an aeroplane type. Having two two-seaters for the British side will give more options when playing out scenario missions. Also, I picked up the models cheap. R.E.8s must be a very unfashionable model to own?

So that is it. Five Germans: four scouts and a two-seater. Five British: three scouts and two two-seaters. I've already repainted the Albatros to match the yellows that the Fokkers feature. Created a fictitious air force for the British-side (the Indian Army Aviation Corps) so I don't have to stick to any RFC/RNAS/RAF historic examples of rules or regulations, giving me free-reign to, basically do as I want. I've made space to lay out a single game mat. All I've got left to do is learn the rules and play. How hard can that be?

Yeah, that's a very late war selection Roy. You had a pair of Albatrii in your ficticious Jasta 89 when you first touched down - did you lose one ? And what happened with the Nieuport 17 you ordered to repaint as RNAS ..?

"He is wise who watches"

Good to have you here in WWI Roy, and I'll sort out the mix up for you. If you want any of the details on your Log in changing just let me know.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Skafloc and Hedeby may know of clubs in your area where you can play Wings of Glory.

Thumbs up

Welcome back to the front Roy!
    You will enjoy your Solo games as we do that play in the OTT Solo Campaigns here.

Welcome to the 'Drome' from next door down here in West Yorkshire. Enjoy but always watch your six.

Welcome to the 'Drome from across the pond!

(welcoming head bobs) from the lizard here in the 'States.
    Note that there are many other options (different planes, scenarios, house rules, solo play campaigns) also available in the files section. Wander on over there and have a look.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Roy
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by flash
    You had a pair of Albatrii in your ficticious Jasta 89 when you first touched down - did you lose one ? And what happened with the Nieuport 17 you ordered to repaint as RNAS ..?
    The Nieuport ended up getting a repaint to Indian Army Aviation Corps No.I 'Dacoit' Squadron colours. But No.I squadron got sent to Mesopotamia in 1917. So No. 2 Squadron ...being hastily formed and bound for the Western Front, as the British Government in London pressured the British Government in India to meet obligations to the European war and not trouble themselves so much with who'll get control of the Middle Eastern oil fields after the war... came into existence in my imaginary world.

Three Alb. D.IIs and a D.Va have all been repainted in the same colours of Jasta 89 (the D.Va is the same I'll be using with the 1918 stuff).
    Then I've two MS.3 and two MS.5 models. Two N.11. All to be used for a fictitious French unit earlier in the war - Escadrille de Chasse MS 1915 (Escadrille étrangère)
    Three Fokker E.III and two Fokker E.II models. Two Alb. C.III and a Roland C.II.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte
    Good to have you here in WWI Roy
    Thanks for that, and for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht
    Skafloc and Hedeby may know of clubs in your area where you can play Wings of Glory.
    Thanks for the information. Here's two that I know definitely play.

Old Guard Wargames Club (meet at Scruton, near Northallerton, N.Yorks. or, the other venue being at, Billingham, Middlesbrough) play WW1 and WW2.

Redcar Ironbeards wargaming club play WW2 - and have run games at Battleground wargames show at Stockton.

gully_raker. Rebel. Future Pilot. zenlizard. Thank you.

Similar Missions

1. Central England New Wings of Glory player - Literally just a few days with no experience
    By peejaycee in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 04-09-2017, 14:14
  2. Getting Started in Wings of Glory
    By Corsair Cdr in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-20-2014, 15:01
  3. Anyone want to get started in Wings of Glory/War?
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-28-2012, 19:58
  4. This place has started to lose its edge as of late...
    By Bartman in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 08-04-2011, 17:13