Ares Games

Thread: solo vAI

Default solo vAI

Right, I've been flying round for ages and need help for a safe landing. My understanding of the procedure is:

As the solo pilot you run you're plane as per the rules?

AI plane. Find the manoeuvre sheet relevant to the plane.

you choose - 3 manoeuvre cards. AI plane - look down left hand column of manoeuvre sheet relevant to AI planes position, then roll 1d6 for manoeuvres. Resolve solo first, then AI. Repeat until mission is completed.

Now two bits that I know are out there but can't find at the moment. There's a 1d6 / 1d8 table for after a plane is shot down, what happens to the pilot / observer (dead/injured/captured/returns to base) Second table is the campaign mission flow chart.

Have I got the above procedures correct, if so I can star playing more complex solo games.

Any help gratefully accepted, cos I'm starting to run out of fuel up here

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    Right, I've been flying round for ages and need help for a safe landing. My understanding of the procedure is:

As the solo pilot you run you're plane as per the rules?

AI plane. Find the manoeuvre sheet relevant to the plane.

you choose - 3 manoeuvre cards. AI plane - look down left hand column of manoeuvre sheet relevant to AI planes position, then roll 1d6 for manoeuvres. Resolve solo first, then AI. Repeat until mission is completed.

Now two bits that I know are out there but can't find at the moment. There's a 1d6 / 1d8 table for after a plane is shot down, what happens to the pilot / observer (dead/injured/captured/returns to base) Second table is the campaign mission flow chart.

Have I got the above procedures correct, if so I can star playing more complex solo games.

Any help gratefully accepted, cos I'm starting to run out of fuel up here
    G'day Iain.
    You have got all the steps correct for planning the Solo Game moves.
    Might I recommend Dave's (flash) D8 charts. You will find them in the File Section.
    Re survival rolls: If you go down to the "stickies" in the WW1 Over the Trenches section download Dave's rules for those campaigns & you will get all the info for surviving wounds, shot down, Explosion cards etc.

Hope this helps!

ta everso GR. will look tomorrow (23:00 ish here) print em off n see how I get on.

The airfield appears under my port wing as the engine coughs the final drops of fuel. glide in safely to land.

Will let you know how it goes.

How's the fires affecting you? Luck to all of you out there

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    ta everso GR. will look tomorrow (23:00 ish here) print em off n see how I get on.

The airfield appears under my port wing as the engine coughs the final drops of fuel. glide in safely to land.

Will let you know how it goes.

How's the fires affecting you? Luck to all of you out there
    Hi Iain.
    Lucky with the fires so far.
    The main one is North of Batemans Bay which is 25 Ks North of me and on the far side of the Clyde River. The other one is up on the Great Dividing Range between Moruya & Canberra.
    However lots of smoke in the air down here.
    Cheers Baz.

I enjoy using the solo AI and find it very good. The thing I miss are some of the optional rules. For instance the ace rule. I'm thinking that because there's no AI able to utilize that rule I would for example draw 2 damage cards for the AI Ace and pick the lowest number. Also a gun jam would only last 2 maneuvers instead of 3. Any thoughts on this or other options for a solo game?

Quote Originally Posted by jgsu27 View Post
    I enjoy using the solo AI and find it very good. The thing I miss are some of the optional rules. For instance the ace rule. I'm thinking that because there's no AI able to utilize that rule I would for example draw 2 damage cards for the AI Ace and pick the lowest number. Also a gun jam would only last 2 maneuvers instead of 3. Any thoughts on this or other options for a solo game?
    You can give an AI ace some skills, like perfect aim, bullet checker...ect. I don't know which AI system/charts you use, but I did some AI d6 charts for AI ace pilots. He doesn't have to fly straight before or after an Immelmann. A bit sneakier than the Acrobatic skill.

Thanks Pete,
    Sounds like something interesting for me to look into. I'm currently using the wings solo ai app on my phone that works well for me. I'm just getting back into the game and this site after quite a few years so I'm not yet familiar with any other solo systems. I'm very interested in any solo system you may have using Ace pilot skills.
    Last edited by jgsu27; 12-18-2019 at 17:57.

John, first, welcome to the Aerodrome. I'm not sure of any other venues or gatherings in CT that play Wings. I have been to The Portal in Manchester a couple of years ago to run a couple of Wings games. I know of a few guys that have been there a few times since then. In the Spring there is HAVOC in Schrewsbury MA put on by BattleGroupBoston. I usually go and run several Wings games there. In the fall in Schenectady NY is Council of Five Nations, where again I run several Wings games. Just a few local gaming options if you are interested in ftf.

For the solo gaming side of Wings, 'HERE', is he link to one of the 'ACE' solo charts in the files under 'Scenarios' - 'Solo Rules'. Blackronin created a set of 2nd Generation Solo charts that I added an ACE version to and a set for when planes are overlapped. These are d6 based. Dave (Flash) did a d8 set, also in the files. Each chart will cover any planes using similar maneuver decks in different speeds.

You'll need a d6 or d8 and the chart(s) for whatever AI planes you'll be flying. First you plot for your plane. Then, for each AI plane you decide which enemy plane is the most threatening and choose the direction/sector that that plane will be flying into. Roll the die and get the three card plot for it's turn. I haven't used the phone app but imagine it is similar.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 12-19-2019 at 14:37.

Thanks again Pete. Unfortunately your 'here' link is not working for me. I'd be very glad to hear about anything happening in the general area in the near future. I stumbled around the site and found the "Annex A Ace abilities" pdf which is definitely useful. I will try to locate the D6 & D8 AI systems you're talking about. The phone app works very well. I'm excited to be up and running once again.

Hey John, the link should work now. Or try 'THIS'.

Lots of great stuff buried in the files but sadly it is sometimes hard to find specific items.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 12-19-2019 at 20:05.

Thank you Pete, works fine now. I'll be giving this a close look. Much obliged!

... I will try to locate the D6 & D8 AI systems you're talking about. ...
    Go to the files John and in the WW1 section click on 'Scenarios', there you will find the 'Solo rules' sub-section to find all you need.
    Or click on this link https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...p?do=cat&id=63

"He is wise who watches"

Thank you also Flash. There really seems like a lot of helpful content here! Very good news indeed. Hopefully I'll be able to meet up with some enthusiasts in my area. It's one thing to play solo, or with other casual gamers, but it must be a real kick to
    play with fellow armchair pilots.

... It's one thing to play solo, or with other casual gamers, but it must be a real kick to play with fellow armchair pilots.
    Yeah it is - I'm very lucky. I hope you can find some willing recruits nearby...

"He is wise who watches"

Now that's awesome!

Similar Missions

1. Solo App?
    By Baxter in forum BSG: Game Aides
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-23-2020, 00:12
  2. National: Solo app
    By LtParrot73 in forum US Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-2018, 11:05
  3. 2 VS WOG SOLO