Ares Games

Thread: Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 5 Dec 2019

Default Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 5 Dec 2019

AAR Our last game session of the year consists on only a single scenario, but it was a real corker. A Russian armored train, the Alexander Nevsky, was attempting to deliver supplies and men to the hamlet of Vlody. The Germans catch wind of this and attack the train.

We had our largest turnout in quite some time, nine players. So BalticBob controlled the train, with Crash Craig managing the damage cards for the train. Todd and Sam flew Russian Nieuport 17s to provide aerial coverage for the train while five German airplanes attacked the train. Bob and John flew Fokker Dr.Is, Jim and Ben flew Albatros D.Vas and I flew a Pfalz D.III.

This is what the train looked like: armored artillery gun and machine gun car at both ends, unarmored troop cars, and an armored locomotive and tender in the center. The train is 15mm scale paper images from Junior General, but I don't know where on the website you'll find them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sIMG_0465.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	278994

The train and much of the N-scale track it had to travel down.

Name:	sIMG_0466.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	278995

The Germans started on one side of the track at least half way down the table, while the two Russian pilots were on the opposite side of the track.

Name:	sIMG_0467.jpg 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	278996

Damage has started to accumulate for the train. The forward armored artillery car drew the Boom and has been destroyed, but is being pushed along by the engine, which has sustained eight points of damage. The rest of the train is unharmed, at this point.

Name:	sIMG_0468.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	278997

Bob, after an unsuccessful bombing attack on the train, takes aim at Todd and sets his Nieuport on fire. Meanwhile I have overflow the train and am trying to get oriented for an attack. I had taken hits from Todd and Sam given me engine damage which actually did help since I planned to fly stalls to try to keep pace with the train.

Name:	sIMG_0469.jpg 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	278998

Todd goes down in flames, but the train gets moving towards Vlody. At one point I closed on the train but was unable to line my fire with the red dot on top of the engine section so I shot up the forward troop car instead. The troop car drew the second BOOM card in the deck. A BOOM on the engine would have ended the game immediately. I was not happy.

Name:	sIMG_0470.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	278999

Vlody is in sight. My airplane is NOT on fire; the fire marker is laying on the table. Having airplane cards on top of the train is quite precarious. John in the Fokker and Jim with the Albatros card are approaching the train from behind. Either Jim or Ben had hit the engine with more damage, which reduced the trains speed giving us more time to kill it.

Name:	sIMG_0471.jpg 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	279000

Finally, the armored engine was destroyed. Total damage to the train and defending airplanes was 71 points while the German aircraft sustained 35 total points of damage, but none of the German planes were shot down.

Name:	sIMG_0472.jpg 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	279001

Once I have a copy of Baltic Bob's rules for this scenario, I will upload them to the files section so others may enjoy the fun.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Interesting scenario.
    I remember chasing a train in our Over the Trenches campaign a few years ago.
    It's not easy, as you found, but you got it in the end.

Your 3D train makes it much more interesting visually. (Mine was just like your top view.)

I enjoyed this different scenario. It was interesting how you managed damage for the train; section by section rather than as one unit 'train'.
    Reputation inbound.

Thumbs up

Interesting scenario & in a different setting.

Have some Rep on me!

Great scenario, and I'm so glad to have made it up there for a change.

Todd & I had a plan to roll back the attackers, by concentration on one target at a time: needless to say, it didn't exactly work out the way we wanted. Oddly enough, the one time it did, it was your Pfalz that we targeted-our intention was to start with the triplanes, since those are the lowest hit capacity aircraft on the board, and shooting down any particular German reduces the attacking firepower just as much as any other German attacker does.

But hey, we did our best, and as I mentioned, the scenario was enjoyable.

Great battle Robert, thanks for putting the AAR together. Looking forward to next years opener.

Bob Luddy's rules for the Armored Train are now available in the files section: World War I, House rules. Feedback is appreciated.

Nice AAR!

Yep, really enjoyed that one. Like Pete, it reminded me of a very enjoyable mission we flew in the OTT Bitter End campaign, which was pretty tough regards stopping the engine. How balanced does the scenario work out? Would you be happy to replay it as it stands?
    REP inbound and thanks for sharing.

I think the scenario was balanced. However, we should try again with some/all of the attackers being B firing. That may make a difference. Only one of us using the bomb carrying capabilities with no effect.

Like a bit of train action - not always easy but a bit of fun. Well done Robert & crew involved

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 7 Nov 2019
    By RJG173 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-12-2019, 20:32
  2. Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 3 Oct 2019
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-05-2019, 08:43
  3. Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 1 Aug 2019