Ares Games

Thread: Linux

Hybrid View

Default Linux

If anyone is considering switching from Windows to Linux Mint on their PC. Please be aware that if you have an SSD drive as well as the usual 2TB or so normal Hard Drive you may have to disconnect the Hard drive in order to get the Linux program to install properly on your SSD. My install crashed a couple of times before I located this advice on Google. Then it installed like a charm and now I am up and running.

Linux...…………...isn't he a character on "Peanuts"?

Sorry!

Very helpful advice, especially for those of us who don't speak "computer" - thanks for the heads-up.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Linux...…………...isn't he a character on "Peanuts"?

Sorry!

That was my first thought too Tim.

Well my experiment with Linux as the operating system on the main did not turn out so well back in Feb 2019. My favourite flight sim programs would not run very well under the Windows emulator. But .... i have an ageing laptop and an old netbook that I converted to Linux a week or two ago and they work really well. I do not use them for much apart from playing computer stuff through a couple of old non smart tv's. They do run faster than with windows and Linux Mint is pretty close to windows for the GUI too. Linux mint comes with an office suite, firefox and a few other goodies for free too. So if you have an old clunker lying around that has been giving you a bit of grief I can recommend Linux. It is free and pretty easy to install.