Ares Games

Thread: Dayton, OH AAR - 11-16-19

Default Dayton, OH AAR - 11-16-19

I made the drive up to Dayton for the Buckeye Gamers session at The Game Haven on 11/16/19. Richard Martin was there, and he was writing a review of the reprint of the Breguet BR. 14 82. He wanted someone to fly it, so this was my ride for this battle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-16-19 - 001.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	278908

Name:	11-16-19 - 002.jpg 
Size:	179.1 KB 
ID:	278909
    Our German opponents.

We rolled for mission objectives. The Allied side was a general patrol; the German mission was to attack the Allied trenches.

Name:	11-16-19 - 003.jpg 
Size:	215.0 KB 
ID:	278910
    We get to the merge, and exchange fire. I draw a 2. Little did I know, but this was the only damage I took in the scenario. Meanwhile, in the upper right, a D VII catches fire.

Name:	11-16-19 - 004.jpg 
Size:	228.8 KB 
ID:	278911
    I was trying to stay out of the way of the plane to my right, but we ended up on top of each other. The German to my left is BARELY in my rear gun arc, so I get off a shot at long range...

Name:	11-16-19 - 005.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	218.4 KB 
ID:	278912
    ...and he catches fire! I'll never be able to turn quickly enough to follow up on him, but there is that burning D VII just ahead (out of the picture)…

Name:	11-16-19 - 006.jpg 
Size:	200.5 KB 
ID:	278913
    I think I missed a photo here, because I couldn't have turned this quickly, but here I am getting a shot. Meanwhile, in the background our other 2-seater is smoking.

Name:	11-16-19 - 007.jpg 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	278914
    The D VII goes past me. I'm not sure, but my recollection was that he was just out of my rear gun arc on this one. And now I'm facing a new quandary - I've gotten awfully close to the map edge, and I never even checked to see whether I can turn quickly enough to stay on the map.

Name:	11-16-19 - 008.jpg 
Size:	183.8 KB 
ID:	278915
    I missed another photo here, but in two cards I was BARELY able to stay on the map. The D VII had performed an overdive to try an put out the fire.

Name:	11-16-19 - 009.jpg 
Size:	170.5 KB 
ID:	278916
    Another missed photo, but the D VII got the fire put out, and, with his speed, is long gone. However, the German 2-seater is lining up on the trenches (top of photo). Our fighters are busy in a furball, and with my limited turning ability I have no business in that fight, so I go after the 2-seater.

Name:	11-16-19 - 010.jpg 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	278917
    Trying to close the distance.

Name:	11-16-19 - 011.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	228.2 KB 
ID:	278918
    We found some trench target cards, so we laid those out. His first draw was a 0 last turn, but he's getting ready to fire again. Meanwhile, I am barely within long range.

Name:	11-16-19 - 012.jpg 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	278919
    The German 2-seater and I make a close pass-by, and neither of us had a shot at the other. He continues to shoot up the trenches; meanwhile, the D VII is back, and I get in a long range shot. He has a lot of damage cards, but is still flying.

Name:	11-16-19 - 013.jpg 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	278920
    Again, a missed photo, but I've turned left twice, and we are where you see us here. The D VII finally goes down here to the guns of the fighter in his 3 o'clock.

Name:	11-16-19 - 014.jpg 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	278921
    He pulls a hard right, I make an S-turn to the left - and get the kill!

At this point the remaining German bugs out for home. Final score was three Germans shot down for no losses to the Allies.

Overall, an enjoyable scenario. I liked flying this plane. Although only doing A damage, having the rear gunner allows you to get away with less than perfect flying, since in many cases you'll still be able to get in a shot with the rear gun. I got several shots in thanks to the rear gun when my forward gun was out of arc. The tradeoff is, of course, the reduced maneuverability. When I got close to the D VII I was concerned with his ability to make the 90-degree right turns, but this was never a factor. Of course, being on fire when we engaged probably had something to do with that.

The model itself was very well done, with considerable detail. The model I was flying had a very detailed swan decal on each side of the fuselage. The one complaint I had is that this model has the same issue as several of the British WWII planes, where the camouflage pattern doesn't completely go to the edge of the wing.

Given the opportunity, I'd fly the Breguet again. Being fairly new to the WWI game, I like having the 2 arcs of fire, and find the slower speed and less maneuverability to be an acceptable trade-off for the rear gun.

This was my first game since Origins. Hopefully I won't have to wait until Origins next summer to play again.

Good to see you getting a game in Bob, and very nicely presented. Thanks for posting this.
    Is it very far for you to travel to the Buckeyes?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Looks like the drinks are on you also today Bob. I just posted your new award.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Glad you were able to make it up to Dayton for a WoG Fix, Bob! Did you stay overnight or head back home later that day? Perhaps we can lure you to a Wright Flight gaming session one of these days...

All the best,
    Matt

Nice AAR, Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsalt View Post
    I liked flying this plane. Although only doing A damage, having the rear gunner allows you to get away with less than perfect flying, since in many cases you'll still be able to get in a shot with the rear gun..
    Hope you were dishing out 'B' cards, though, using that particular beastie ('B' front, 'B' rear)!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Nice AAR!

damnit! i somehow missed your sojourn northward. looks like you had fun. be sure to let me know next time you plan on coming up so i can make plans to be there!

That looks like a fun outing Bob, thanks for letting us in on it

"He is wise who watches"

Well-presented AAR. It's nice to see the new reprints in action, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Good to see you getting a game in Bob, and very nicely presented. Thanks for posting this.
    Is it very far for you to travel to the Buckeyes?
    Rob.
    It's about 2 1/2 hours. I had a unique situation for this session so I could make it. 2 1/2 hours each way is a bit much for me to play for 3 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    damnit! i somehow missed your sojourn northward. looks like you had fun. be sure to let me know next time you plan on coming up so i can make plans to be there!
    I sent you a PM on Facebook early that week. I was hoping you could make it there and we could grab a bite afterwards. You must not have seen my message.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Nice AAR, Bob!

Hope you were dishing out 'B' cards, though, using that particular beastie ('B' front, 'B' rear)!
    You're right, they were B cards. I'm used to WWII, where the A cards are the lightweight ones.

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Glad you were able to make it up to Dayton for a WoG Fix, Bob! Did you stay overnight or head back home later that day? Perhaps we can lure you to a Wright Flight gaming session one of these days...

All the best,
    Matt
    I stayed overnight on Friday. I had to stay at a Holiday Inn one more night before the end of the year to qualify for the highest reward level in their VIP club. I decided to stay the night in Dayton to qualify, then game the next day. If you guys could put together a marathon session on a Saturday - like 10 AM to 7 or 8 that night and play several scenarios I would definitely make the drive up on Friday night. Driving 2 1/2 hours each way just to game for 2-3 hours is a bit too much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsalt View Post
    I sent you a PM on Facebook early that week. I was hoping you could make it there and we could grab a bite afterwards. You must not have seen my message.
    damn facebook messaging. just digging through my messages and not seeing anything. nit sure whats going on. probably pming me here would be more reliable. at leats it looks like you had great fun! glad you didnt have to wait until origins 2020 to play again.

Really enjoyed that Bob. Nice AAR indeed and some great pics. Thanks for sharing

Similar Missions

1. Ohio: Greetings from a New Guy in Dayton, OH
    By Thomaso827 in forum US Wing
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-28-2017, 10:50
  2. Ohio: Next Event - Dayton
    By predhead in forum US Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2014, 16:08
  3. Sad news from Dayton
    By somaliavet in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13