Ares Games

Thread: Help a Noob Print Custom Cards

Default Help a Noob Print Custom Cards

I'm new to WoG and to this forum. It seems friendly here, hi y'all. This is my first post. My desk-top publishing skills are limited.

I've found several custom maneuver card decks in the Files section, but I'm having trouble printing them to the correct size. Please help. Is there an FAQ or primer for this skill set? Or just tell me how you do it.

I've started with something simple, the DeckZL.pdf file for the custom ZL maneuver deck. I had hoped this file would naturally print the correct size from Adobe Acrobat Reader, but the card images print 63 mm long X 41 mm wide, whereas the cards from the game measure 68 mm X 44 mm. That's enough of a difference to be a problem.

Is there a simple adjustment I can make to get the card images to print a little bigger? I suppose I could fumble-fiddle around trying to get the right size by trial and error, but I'd rather not.

Thanks.

If you can print multiplying by 1.08 that might be close enough.

If you want them accurate you can crop each card and save them individually. Then drop them onto a word page where you can set the height and width.

Thank you! I did not know that I could print a custom size from Acrobat Reader. Curiously, when I switched from Fit to Custom Size 100%, the file printed exactly the right size. Whoda thunk it?

I usually put card images into an MS Word document to print them. Sad, but true. I can set the image size for each image to the desired mm size that way. I can print 9 double-sided cards on a page, as well.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Irv, from here across the Atlantic in the United Kingdom. I am glad that you were able to sort out your printing problem. If you have more questions about the game you will find that the members here are very friendly and helpful.
    If you go o the Report for Duty section and post a message introducing yourself, you will find that many people will respond and welcome you here.

I put mine in open office (.odt) files, resizing as needed.
    Same technique I use when printing decals on decal paper.

ZL is for biplanes that go somewhat slower than the 250mph of the Fiat42 and Gladiator. Fiat32 for example.

Right then, Naharat, Report for Duty is sorted.

OldGuy, thanx for the tip. Your custom turn and slip cards for the C deck are my next technical challenge, so I appreciate the guidance.

Zoe, we've met on Facebook (Irving Horowitz). I've admired your work there, and what I've found here in Files. It seems we're both interested in Golden Age aviation.

It looks like Ima need a major software upgrade to take full advantage of the fan-craft here on Aerodrome. I understand that I need Photoshop to access many of the custom airplane cards, and now you suggest Open Office. But my first requirement will be to upgrade from my creaky old Windows 7 tower system to something Windows 10, before I invest in any new applications. I knew I was gonna hafta, and I can, it's just...troublesome, and I'm lazy, and distracted by so many other projects...like upgrading from my creaky old Gen 3 smart-phone, that my provider is gonna boot off their network in a few more weeks for being so obsolete.

Henh. The funny thing is that I was a professional software engineer for 35 years, but I never really loved technology or gadgets. I approached programming as a language art and as game design. When I came home at night I never played computer games, I tried them and disliked them. I went to the other end of the spectrum for recreation, crafting material models, and playing wargames to socially interact with my fellow geeks, revelling in our fleshy humanity and our geekiness.

Ahem. Thanks for helping out. Nice to meetcha.

Welcome, Irv, from Portland, Oregon.
    As you have discovered there is a lot of good stuff and great people on this site.
    I will be joining you with a new PC and Windows 10 in January when good ol' Microsoft cuts support for Windows 7.

Hunh. I did not know that Microsoft is dropping support for Windows 7 so soon. I will have to get moving. My wife will also want a new laptop. Thanks for the heads-up, Stumptonian. Oy-vey.

i will be facing the same issue.
    SWMBO will need one as well ...

But mine will be better ...

My techi has been on my case about swapping up since September.
    We now have the upgrade and a new computer scheduled for January.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Interestingly, I avoided Windows 10, and may actually attempt Linux to stay away from an operating system that went in a direction I am not inclined to adopt.

So, I'm hanging on to Windows 7 for as long as I can. I suspect the hackers will be bending their efforts to cracking Windows 10, as Windows 7 will yield diminishing returns as time goes on. One can hope.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

All the cards and decals I make are on my old, old, old desktop.

Win XP pro. Windows Paint.

I did get a Win10 laptop for Christmas in 2017, but between my son's need for it in his studies, and my partner's discovery of various sites streaming movies, I've never actually used it except to install software on it.

Thanks for the emotional support, guys. I am now waist-deep in our upgrade/migration and grimly wading further in. I had hoped I was done with this scheissdreck when I retired, but nope, I'm still my own tech support. I've been at it for a week and a half, installing, testing, googling error codes, shooting at troubles, occasionally hitting one.

The two new Win 10 machines are both working stand-alone and can reach the internet. I need to install more software on Nancy's new laptop, that we just picked up today. The new laptop is wireless only, there's not even a port for an ethernet cable, so I'm glad I started investigating the wireless capabilities of my router a few months ago. I didn't have to figure out my wireless LAN starting from zero knowledge. The new laptop can access files on the new desktop, and can also route printing to the desktop, so yay for that. The new desktop still can't access files on the new laptop or on either of the old Win 7 machines. Windows 10 has severely fouled up my home networking. Getting the two Win 10 computers to communicate bi-directionally is my top priority.

For recreation I've been cleaning up the old computers in preparation for donating them. Nancy wants to keep her old laptop, 'for the grandchildren to use'. Sigh. Of course they'll surf and play games on our speedy new computers. I'm just now finishing clean-up of the ancient Win XP laptop (sorry Zoe, gotta speak the truth) that Nancy replaced with the now-old Win 7 laptop. it stil runs, albeit slooooly at times. Ima give it to a friend, prolly give the old Win 7 tower to a charity.

Och-un-vey. Zoll gornisht helfen, yingeleh.

Fortunately, since I *am* retired, I have plenty of time to work *and* play. Since I joined this site, I've played in two big Saturday Wings games with the Wright Flight gang in Dayton, and GMed a game myself Wednesday night a week ago for the Smethurst's Basement club. Good times. Gives me a reason to continue the struggle.

Best to y'all.

Sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations, Irv.
    I will add my Windows 7 machine to my collection (albeit offline) but still using it for Wings of Glory apps.
    Going forward on Windows 10 and not attempting to connect with the outdated machines.

Well then.

Last night I completed self-publishing my first custom maneuver deck, a ZL deck to support Spanish Civil War biplanes, including the He. 51, Cr. 32 and I-15. It came out a little thick, I can see my technique needs refinement, but it'll do. I have several more decks in progress. Yay.

Also, the new Win10 desktop and laptop computers are up and communicating bi-directionally on my home LAN. That migration is complete. The old WinXP laptop has been cleaned up and re-homed. The old Win7 Laptop has been put away. The old Win7 tower has been cleaned up, powered down and is ready for a new owner. I have just finalized all cable connections and put the computer lab back together. Also yay.

AND I have a couple of pounds of flank steak marinating in the refrigerator for a London Broil for tonight's dinner. Yay. Hurray.

It's been a very full day, and a good ending to the year. Best regards and a Happy New Year to all of yez.

Lol didn’t understand a large part of the jargon, but sounds impressive. Keep up the good work and hope you get the results you are hoping for. I think they might be well received by many on here...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Similar Missions

1. Custom Aircraft / Custom Cards?
    By Togo in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-25-2018, 20:32
  2. Custom Mat Printing - Vista Print Australia 50% off sale 7 March 2017
    By infman in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2017, 16:04
  3. Custom cards
    By Jimmy Doolittle in forum WGF: General Discussions