Ares Games

Thread: Wings of Glory at the Comox Air Force Museum - November 2019

Default Wings of Glory at the Comox Air Force Museum - November 2019

Last Saturday of the Month at the Museum

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I was unable to hold Last Saturday at the Museum for September and October. Family obligations and scheduling conflicts for another demo in Nanaimo prevented me from being in two places at the same time.

However, this attempt doubled the attendance of the August appearance. This event featured Santa and Snoopy, with two more pilots joining Mike and I. Shane [Skyguy001] and Nikolas showed up after the first game had started, and took over flying some of the extra planes.

I put two Fokker D.VIIs and a Dr.1 on the table for the opponents, facing Santa, Snoopy and a Sopwith Snipe. Mike started with the Germans, and I flew the Christmas Flight.

The second phase of the first turn, and shots were flying. Out of frame, Mike had the Dr.1 hang back, to catch the fast moving sleigh as it went through the two D.VIIs. Stark had a tail shot on Santa, and drew the first present. Boom!
    Name:  IMG_20191130_111710.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  165.4 KB
    The laughable thing about this event was that Mike cut the deck three times and still drew this card. Santa's revenge. We put an '8' number counter on Mike's cockpit for that damage, and shuffled the Boom Card back into the deck.

The very next phase, Stark takes a tail shot at the Snipe, and I drew the Boom Card and the "2".
    Name:  IMG_20191130_112156.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  194.8 KB

A little later in the game, as Santa tried to run wide around the mat, lining up for the toy drop, Sachenberg takes another shot at Santa. Mike cut the deck, again, and drew this card. Again!
    Name:  IMG_20191130_120851.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  158.6 KB
    Another '8' counter was dug up, but it was not used. Sachenberg had taken too much damage, and was going down. The Snipe had already gone down by this time, so it went a bit of a ways to even out the odds. Snoopy managed a shot on the smoking Kirschstein. It didn't finish him off, but it was more insult to injury.

The end of the game was shortly thereafter, as Santa made his drop, loosing two reindeer in a short-ranged, following-fire shot over the orphanage (Yup. I drew a '0' and a '1'.). However, after that, the sleigh and remaining reindeer kicked it into overdrive, and headed home, as the German planes made a miscalculation in maneuvers. They would never be able to catch the sleigh, and we called the game. Both Santa and Snoopy got away, although Kazakov was walking home.

Lots of fun and laughs.

The next game was a two-on-two with fighters, and not so many Boom Cards. No pictures, as we were flying hard and fast.

Thanks to Mike, Nikolas and Shane for a fun day of flying!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Glad to hear you had a better attendance this time around, Mike.

Kudos for sticking with it!

Keep on keeping on!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. British Columbia: Open Cockpit Day at the Comox Air Force Museum
    By OldGuy59 in forum Canadian Wing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-10-2019, 23:38
  2. British Columbia: Wings of Glory at the Comox Air Force Museum - August 2019
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-31-2019, 16:53
  3. British Columbia: Wings of Glory at the Comox Air Force Museum - July 2019
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-28-2019, 08:36
  4. British Columbia: Wings of Glory at the Comox Air Force Museum - June 2019
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-30-2019, 05:31
  5. British Columbia: Wings of Glory at the Comox Air Force Museum