Ares Games

Thread: Fall In game 4 Earth on the Brink

Default Fall In game 4 Earth on the Brink

Fall In - Earth on the Brink

12 eager players joined for a bout of T&T. Unfortunately, this table was in a small room and in a tight corner. I had to turn away a couple of potential players for lack of physical space.

Not having flown WW2 planes vs the Tripods I went with 2 planes vs each Tripod. I chose earlier planes, ME109Es, Spitfire IIs, A6M2 Zeros and P-40s. As it turned out even these early planes easily out powered the Martians. The Martians spent most of their time recharging. Only one objective was reached.

Impassable terrain was placed to make the Martians have to maneuver to reach their objectives.

Standing room only! John H. Martian (bottom left) scored a seat next to the GM.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	234.2 KB 
ID:	278853

New players get a few turns to get used to the game before engaging the invaders from the Red Planet.

Name:	2.jpg 
Size:	240.9 KB 
ID:	278854

A ME109 gets to feel the energy of a heat ray.

Name:	3.jpg 
Size:	247.9 KB 
ID:	278855

One Tripod gets more attention than he wanted. I think this was John?

Name:	4.jpg 
Size:	244.3 KB 
ID:	278856

A P-40 blasts away at the shielded side of an invader. (Martian card down because of overlapping bases)
    A cloud of toxic black smoke bursts in front of a Spitfire. He has no chance to avoid it and has to fly right into it.

Name:	5.jpg 
Size:	238.1 KB 
ID:	278857

Several ME109s give one Martian a hard time.

Name:	6.jpg 
Size:	250.6 KB 
ID:	278858

One Martian finds out the hard way that he shouldn’t try to walk through the woods. He topples and falls. His only grace was that the Zero overlapped as he fell.

Name:	7.jpg 
Size:	222.0 KB 
ID:	278859

This Martian belches out a black cloud upon two Axis earthlings.

Name:	8.jpg 
Size:	235.6 KB 
ID:	278860

A Zero feels the heat and has his tail singed.

Name:	9.jpg 
Size:	240.7 KB 
ID:	278861

The RAF doing it’s part to save the planet.

Name:	10.jpg 
Size:	228.8 KB 
ID:	278862

P-40 gets a kill shot. The Martians are not such a big threat after all.

Name:	11.jpg 
Size:	245.8 KB 
ID:	278863

Nice multi nation effort there Peter - well done all

"He is wise who watches"

Nice to see WGS vs Martian action - that's the first post I have seen.
    I have yet to get my stuff to the table at all.
    I might try in a week or two while I am still on the mend.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Nice to see WGS vs Martian action - that's the first post I have seen.
    I have yet to get my stuff to the table at all.
    I might try in a week or two while I am still on the mend.
    I found there are a lot of energy hits that the WW2 planes inflict. Even with a 2:1 early war plane to tripod, the ratio was too high. Not sure when I'll get to try it again but I know I'll have less planes vs Tripods.

It was yet another fun event, in a long string of fun events at Fall In, thank you again Pete! I take pride that I gave as good as took and didn't fall to the pesky Earth fighters. Much praise to Matt56 for excellent tripod training earlier this Fall.

WWII fighters really do have a big advantage over pods, not only do they have more firepower, which drains energy needed to fight back, but they can maneuver more re actively with the pick and play style in WWII, while Tpods are still programming three like WWI. No complaints though, it was a real challenge and a lot of fun!

Nice Game there!

Thanks for posting the WWII game!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Thank you for posting this report on WW2 aircraft versus Tripods. There are not many available. I am afraid that I cannot give you any more Reputation at the moment.

Do you think that doubling the Tripods' Damage Resistance is not enough for them to cope with the WW2 weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Thank you for posting this report on WW2 aircraft versus Tripods. There are not many available. I am afraid that I cannot give you any more Reputation at the moment.

Do you think that doubling the Tripods' Damage Resistance is not enough for them to cope with the WW2 weapons?
    I think the doubled Damage Resistance is ok. What I saw was that the energy hits taken were overpowering. The tripods had to stop to recharge as much as move. This made them sitting ducks and take more energy hits. Are there too many damage chits with energy hits? Maybe. Double recharge value of 1 to 2 didn't seem to make up the difference compared to WWI. Tripods were taking multiple energyb hits on just about every shot taken at them. Taking 3+ hits per shot are tough to keep a tripod on the move. I had a 2:1 ratio of planes to tripods, 8 planes vs 4 tripods. When I can find some time I'd like to solo with a more favorable ratio towards the tripods. Another thought I want to try is to halve the energy loss damage on shielded sides rounded up.

Similar Missions

1. Fall in 19. Game Protect the Bombers...
    By mikejr74 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-28-2019, 15:07
  2. Fall In - game 1 - 'The End of the Fokker Scourge'
    By Teaticket in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-28-2019, 04:26
  3. The long fall back to earth . . .
    By clipper1801 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-23-2016, 09:26
  4. Google Earth as a game mat