Ares Games

Thread: Fall In - game 1 - 'The End of the Fokker Scourge'

Default Fall In - game 1 - 'The End of the Fokker Scourge'

Fall In game 1, End of the Fokker Scourge

12 pilots braved the early 1916 Western Front. Germans were outnumbered but had ace skills to help fight off the superior number of enemy. (as it turned out the difference in numbers wasn’t enough!)

Right from the get-go the Entente took it on the chin.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	278459

Another N11 is wounded and trails a line of smoke. The British come in to help out the French and an eindecker feels the pinch and also begins to smoke.

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	278460

The mayhem of moving the planes.

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	278461

The resulting maneuvers send down the first casualty. A Bebe falls from the sky.

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	278462

More headaches for the French.

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	278464

The damage cards have not been very fair. A British DH2 burns as it’s wounded pilot struggles to minimize the flames damage.

Name:	DSC_0006.jpg 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	278465

Another one flames up….yep, the French again.

Name:	DSC_0007.jpg 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	278466

A bit more civilized movement this time.

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	278467

The Entente try to get in advantageous positions behind the Hun flyers.

Name:	DSC_0009.jpg 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	278468

The first Hun goes down with a double tap! Harry Peless gets his first.

Name:	DSC_0011.jpg 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	278469

The Entente get more than their share of decorations, as in smoke and flames!

Name:	DSC_0013.jpg 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	278470

A common sight, a Bebe spinning to the ground.

Name:	DSC_0015.jpg 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	278471

The Entente had a hard day as the final tally was 9 to 2 in favor of the veteran Hun. Not quite the ‘End of the Fokker Scourge’ like the game’s title!

The skill, ‘Itchy Trigger Finger’ worked wonders and had at least 3 Entente planed shot down before they could reply.

Top German pilot was Peter Frechtling
    Top Entente pilot was Harry Peless III (Borderguy190)
    Last edited by Teaticket; 11-26-2019 at 18:57.

Thank you for the good A.A.R., Peter. It looks like you all enjoyed yourselves. It is interesting that the result was the reverse of what I would have expected. The D.H.2's and Nieuport 11's are generally considered to have been superior machines to the Fokker Eindeckers. Giving ace skills to the German pilots certainly seems to have changed the situation or were the Germans also lucky in their card draws?

Nice map! Custom?

Thumbs up

Looked like fun Peter but not the result we would wish for!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Looked like fun Peter but not the result we would wish for!
    Just the result I would wish for

From all the fire and smoke markers that adorn the Entente planes I would conclude that the Germans had the best of the card draws!
    How many Germans, against how many Entente?
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Sometimes, it's better to be lucky than it is to be skilled.

But the best times are when you're both.

Nice Action there!

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Thank you for the good A.A.R., Peter. It looks like you all enjoyed yourselves. It is interesting that the result was the reverse of what I would have expected. The D.H.2's and Nieuport 11's are generally considered to have been superior machines to the Fokker Eindeckers. Giving ace skills to the German pilots certainly seems to have changed the situation or were the Germans also lucky in their card draws?
    We did have a good time, more so for the Germans!

It was a bit of each. Card draws were much kinder to the Germans and the Ace Skills gave them a bit more of an advantage than I thought. Next time I run this I'll in crease the odds difference between forces.

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Nice map! Custom?
    It is a custom map someone on the site made. There are two versions, one with (the one I have) and one without the mist cloud layer. I don't remember who did it. It might be in the files somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post

From all the fire and smoke markers that adorn the Entente planes I would conclude that the Germans had the best of the card draws!
    How many Germans, against how many Entente?
    We had 6 eindeckers vs 8 Entente. I initially thought 9-5 would be too much but if the card draw luck was the same it would have been better. I'll have to solitaire it a few times and find a better ratio than 8-6.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Sometimes, it's better to be lucky than it is to be skilled.

But the best times are when you're both.
    Mike (mikejr74) had a bit of both. Twice he used the itchy trigger finger and got kills before they could shoot back! Sadly Samantha was one of his victims.

Like it Pete - well the AAR if not the result - I am a Bulldog after all Looks like you all had a great time and its good to see those early war aircraft up there, at least for a short while, until they burn and tumble
    Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post

I concur wholeheartedly

Nice to see your early birds in action outside OTT.

If only I could get a crowd like that around a table more often. I have had a few big games at a convention, or two, but usually only WWII games.

Interesting note in the AAR. Does everyone require that D.H.2s fly only straights when on fire? It is a pusher, and shouldn't have the same constraints as other tractor scouts. Thoughts?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59
    Does everyone require that D.H.2s fly only straights when on fire? It is a pusher, and shouldn't have the same constraints as other tractor scouts. Thoughts?
    Well, with the DH 2, the fuel tank was up on the top wing, just behind the pilot. There's a large potential for burning fuel dropping down onto the pilot, so yeah, there's ample reason for applying the standard rules wrt aircraft fires.

Pete,

This was an awesome way to kickoff a great weekend of flying, starting with the war birds that started it all (at least in the WoG line). I really enjoyed playing early war and having ACE skills made it even that much more enjoyable. Also, thank you for letting me fly your personal orange winged plane, she is a real beauty. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    If only I could get a crowd like that around a table more often. I have had a few big games at a convention, or two, but usually only WWII games.

Interesting note in the AAR. Does everyone require that D.H.2s fly only straights when on fire? It is a pusher, and shouldn't have the same constraints as other tractor scouts. Thoughts?
    Larger conventions like Fall In, Cold Wars, Historicon and Origins usually have very good attendance. Fall In's smallest game was 6 pilots. At these larger cons 6 pilots is the minimum I like to have. At smaller cons I have erratic attendance but can get up to 10. You never know how many you'll get.

I do make DH2s fly non-straights when on fire. Never really thought about pushers and fire....hmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by rolld6 View Post
    Pete,

This was an awesome way to kickoff a great weekend of flying, starting with the war birds that started it all (at least in the WoG line). I really enjoyed playing early war and having ACE skills made it even that much more enjoyable. Also, thank you for letting me fly your personal orange winged plane, she is a real beauty. Cheers!
    Glad you had a good time John. Always an honor to have you at my game table. It also was nice of you to not get my eindecker Tiger shot down.

Another epic Peter, well done mate

"He is wise who watches"

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Quite the dogfight, to be sure, Peter! Tons of great action with lovely planes - lots of great color injected into that CDL palette And the smoke and flame add even more color to the mix... Glad everyone seems to have enjoyed themselves.

All the best,
    Matt

Similar Missions

1. Fall in 19. Game Protect the Bombers...
    By mikejr74 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-28-2019, 15:07
  2. Past the Fokker Scourge
    By Windy Jack in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-17-2018, 23:26
  3. Any Fokker Scourge campaigns?
    By nikiMcBee in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-03-2014, 13:26
  4. Flights of War - The Fokker Scourge (en Francais)
    By Zoe Brain in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-04-2013, 02:58
  5. Awaiting the Fokker Scourge.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-23-2011, 17:35