Ares Games

Thread: OTT DYM Mission 10---Double Jeopardy--12th March--gully_raker

Default OTT DYM Mission 10---Double Jeopardy--12th March--gully_raker

Uncle had called Ltn Reginald Fife-Brand,flight commander of C flight & 2 of his scout pilots to the Squadron briefing office.
    "Now chaps Army HQ is in a bit of a flap. Seems the old Hun has a Balloon set up just behind their trenches which has been directing their heavy artillery on our PBI in the front trenches" "Now A flight had a go at it yesterday & got nowhere & B flight are off for a crack today" "If they don't succeed it will be your turn tomorrow so if you have any bright ideas now is the time to bring them forward!"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Flight leader.jpg  Views: 42  Size: 34.8 KB  ID: 278441" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Fife-Brand spoke up. "Well uncle I have a cousin who is a Major in the Armaments Department & he has been telling me of some experiments they are doing for the RNAS with some incendiary ammunition for the Lewis gun which has phosphorus that leaves a blue smoke trail & might just be the thing to set those gas bags off!" "If I can get a dispatch rider to him he just might be able to supply some drums for us to try"
    "Right" said Uncle. "Phone him & I will get a DR on his way"

Name:	WW1 Dispatch rider.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	185.7 KB 
ID:	278442

Sure enough early the next morning a truck arrived carrying the drums of Buckingham ammunition.

Name:	WW1 RFC Tender.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	278443

Quickly loading the drums into his DH-2 Reg accompanied by F/Sgt Brandon Stark the flights only Ace they flew off towards the German lines. 2nd Lt. James Lanister the other scout pilot had been detailed to guard their own British Balloon which had helped the Allied artillery to return the favour.

Over behind the German lines & unknown to our chaps the German Kest had arranged an attack on the British Balloon with Obltn Wilhelm Bassenge in his CDL Fokker E.III accompanied bt Ltn Richard Arntzen in a Green E.III as his wingman. Bassenge had also equipped his machinegun with experimental incendiary rounds.
    Both pairs of attacking aircraft passed each other without being aware of the other aircraft in the distance.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 01.jpg  Views: 42  Size: 155.3 KB  ID: 278444" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The eindekker of Bassenge was the first aircraft to attack the British Balloon as Lanister flew towards the intruder to try to protect the British sausage. Fortunately the Hun bullets caused no damage.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 03.jpg  Views: 42  Size: 128.9 KB  ID: 278445" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

At the other end of the battle field the British pilot fared no better with his first shots but his second burst started a flicker of flame from the German Drachen. Brandon Stark added some damage as well. The German Observers took to their chutes as the ground crew began to wind down the damaged Balloon.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 04.jpg  Views: 42  Size: 179.1 KB  ID: 278446" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 05.jpg  Views: 41  Size: 195.6 KB  ID: 278447" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Meanwhile back at the British lines the Green Fokker which was also equipped with the new experimental ammo also started a fire & the allied ground crew started to wind down the Balloon as the Observers jumped to safety. (Did not pick up on my mistake until writing up the AAR so added it to the Story!)

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 06.jpg  Views: 44  Size: 152.1 KB  ID: 278448" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The German pilots continued to press their attack but caused little damage.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 07.jpg  Views: 42  Size: 163.8 KB  ID: 278449" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Both British pilots continued to attack the German Balloon at close range & Fife-Brand was pleased to see the new Buckingham rounds were effective as another fire broke out on the Drachen.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 08.jpg  Views: 42  Size: 169.0 KB  ID: 278450" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

As the German Balloon continued to burn Brandon Stark came under attack from Ltn Wilhelm Thiede flying a Halbertstadt & Brandon felt a stinging to his left sholder & found a German bullet had torn through his leather flying coat & nicked his flesh.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 11.jpg  Views: 44  Size: 156.8 KB  ID: 278451" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Having changed drums Fife-Brand again attached & was successful in starting yet another fire before his gun jammed!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 12.jpg  Views: 42  Size: 167.0 KB  ID: 278452" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Halberstadt swooped it to attack the DH-2 but its gun immediately jammed.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 14.jpg  Views: 42  Size: 139.5 KB  ID: 278453" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Meanwhile back at the British lines the Balloon burnt very slowly as the German planes prepared for another attack.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 13.jpg  Views: 41  Size: 142.7 KB  ID: 278455" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 10.jpg  Views: 44  Size: 108.1 KB  ID: 278454" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />
    James Lanister had caught up to the Green Fokker of Arntzen & gave it a good burst which caused black smoke to pour from the engine."Humm" thought James looks like I might have nicked an oil line!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 15.jpg  Views: 44  Size: 119.7 KB  ID: 278456" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Having shaken off the effects of his flesh wound Brandon Stark now gave the Halberstadt a good serve in return.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 16.jpg  Views: 43  Size: 142.6 KB  ID: 278457" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The accumulated fires started on the German Balloon finally took their toll & it crumpled to the ground a fiery wreck. The Buckingham rounds had certainly proved their worth!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 19.jpg  Views: 46  Size: 110.2 KB  ID: 278458" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 17.jpg  Views: 39  Size: 160.9 KB  ID: 278463" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Sgt Stark had followed the Halberstadt & his next burst tore shreds off its wings.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 20.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 154.0 KB  ID: 278472" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Back at the British lines the Fokkers continued to attack the balloon as the crew tried to winch it to safety.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 21.jpg  Views: 38  Size: 107.5 KB  ID: 278473" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Ltn Arntzen now returned the favour to Lanister & set his engine smoking.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 22.jpg  Views: 39  Size: 159.9 KB  ID: 278474" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Halberstadt having failed to protect the balloon now flew angrily towards the British balloon with revenge in mind chased by Stark who exchanged shots with Bassenge but neither caused any damage.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 23.jpg  Views: 38  Size: 174.5 KB  ID: 278475" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Halberstadt succeeded in adding damage to the British target whilst Bassenge got a close burst into Stark which caused little damage whilst Stark again shot at the grey German scout.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 24.jpg  Views: 35  Size: 148.0 KB  ID: 278476" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The German pilot continued to vent his anger at the British sausage whilst Lanister tried a shot but missed.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 25.jpg  Views: 38  Size: 147.6 KB  ID: 278477" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

However Lanister did manage to damage Bassenge's Fokker as it returned to the fight.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 26.jpg  Views: 38  Size: 151.8 KB  ID: 278478" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Ignoring the damage to his Fokker Bassenge was finally able to reignite a fire on the British Balloon which slowly burnt.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 27.jpg  Views: 38  Size: 145.5 KB  ID: 278479" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 29.jpg  Views: 40  Size: 147.5 KB  ID: 278480" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The German planes continued to hammer the British Balloon which up till now had seemed to enjoy a charmed life. Arntzen's close range attack only resulted in a jammed gun.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 30.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 117.3 KB  ID: 278481" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 32.jpg  Views: 35  Size: 157.9 KB  ID: 278482" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Balloon seemed to resist the Germans best efforts & the German experimental incendiary rounds did not seem as effective as the British Buckinghams .

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 33.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 154.6 KB  ID: 278483" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The fighters continued to duel around the Balloon but without causing any critical damage.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 34.jpg  Views: 40  Size: 153.3 KB  ID: 278484" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 35.jpg  Views: 41  Size: 154.6 KB  ID: 278485" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 36.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 136.1 KB  ID: 278486" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

However the fire on the balloon finally flared up & the British Balloon was consumed before it could reach the ground!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 37.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 105.8 KB  ID: 278487" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 38.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 169.5 KB  ID: 278488" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

With the destruction of the Balloon the fighters continued their dogfight & although Ltn Thiede got a damaging burst in to Brandon Stark's De Havilland, Brandon's fire caused Oblt Bassenge's E.III to explode.
    "My God" said Brandon "Must have hit his fuel tank!"

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 39.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 139.9 KB  ID: 278489" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 40.jpg  Views: 34  Size: 161.5 KB  ID: 278490" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

With their fuel getting low the remaining German aircraft turned for home chased by James Lanister who also soon reluctantly had to give up the chase due to lack of fuel.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 41.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 138.7 KB  ID: 278491" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 42.jpg  Views: 39  Size: 95.3 KB  ID: 278492" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

OBSERVATIONS & COMMENTS

Well what a marathon that turned out to be in more ways that one!
    Apart from the Eleven turns of the game I had major problems in uploading photos from just after the halfway mark.
    The uploading tool wanted to post multiple images which meant I had to click to remove the unwanted images & sometimes it would not load a new image even with click & drag. A realdrag to be sure!

I used Dave's D8 charts which as usual worked a treat. Started at Level 6 & as the game went on got everything down to level 3. Unfortunately the Balloon masked the German planes from the machinegun position.
    I Flew Fife-Brands DH-2, all other AI with the Balloon or enemy aircraft the target as suitable.

VICTORY POINTS

BRITISH:
    10 pts Balloon Destroyed
    2 pts Fokker E.III (Bassenge) Destroyed

GERMAN:
    10 pts Balloon Destroyed.

Slim Victory to British Forces.
    Last edited by gully_raker; 11-27-2019 at 14:27. Reason: Title adjust

Default The BUTCHERS BILL!

The Butchers Bill

British Forces

Lt. Reg Fife Brand--DH-2 No.1
    RTB--1kill (German Balloon via fire started by him).
    3 damage points

Name:	<acronym title=BB 02.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 148.4 KB  ID: 278493" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

F/Sgt Brandon Stark--DH-2 No.2--
    RTB/WIA 1 Kill (Bassenge)
    Rolled 9 -1 WIA +1 RTB =9 Alls Well when you land well.
    6 damage points

Name:	<acronym title=BB 01a.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 143.9 KB  ID: 278498" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

2nd Lt James Lanister--DH-2 No.3
    RTB 0 kills
    2 damage points

Name:	<acronym title=BB 03.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 74.4 KB  ID: 278494" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

German Forces

Obltn Wilhelm Bassenge--Fokker E.III--CDL--1 Kill Balloon via Fire
    SD/EXP/ET 0 kills
    Rolled 5 -3 Exp =2 KIA
    3 damage pts + EXP

Name:	<acronym title=BB 04.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 149.2 KB  ID: 278495" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Ltn Richard Arntzen--Fokker E.III-Green
    RTB No kills
    5 damage points

Name:	<acronym title=BB 05.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 134.5 KB  ID: 278496" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Ltn Wilhelm Thiede-- Halberstadt
    RTB 0 kills
    9 damage points

Name:	<acronym title=BB 06.jpg  Views: 38  Size: 148.6 KB  ID: 278497" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />
    Last edited by gully_raker; 11-29-2019 at 13:47.

Well played Baz, burst the sausage, sneaked the win & potted the Eagles leader in the process.

Uncle says:

Well done chaps, mission accomplished, shame you couldn't save our sausage but you can't win them all. Young Stark knocked off the Eagle's leader whilst you were about it so that'll be worth a few beers on his tab in the sergeants Mess tonight hopefully we'll get an invite to join them. Must look into making him up to second lieutenant...

Caul-August Schwartz has apparently taken over the Eagles - maybe he'll have more luck than his predecessor.

Credited Bassenge with the balloon as he got the fire going - is that correct ?
    Last edited by flash; 11-28-2019 at 02:44.

"He is wise who watches"

Another well-flown, well-executed mission. Luck was certainly with the British, but as the adage goes, "fortune favors the bold."

Well fought Baz - RIP Oblt Wilhelm Bassenge

I guess that turned out pretty much as expected, with both balloons suffering the fate of incendiary ammunition, although your British balloon almost made it to the ground (I can't imagine it being repaired even if it had, but it would have saved them 10 points )
    Sorry for the loss of one of your Eagles. Never good to lose a pilot
    Your picture uploading problem sounds unusual. Haven't come across that one before and I sincerely hope I never do so personally - sounds like a real trial of patience
    REP gun jammed unfortunately - shall have to try again later. And here's to the next AAR

But there you go - rep inbound. The gun is never jammed for long
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 11-27-2019 at 07:56.

Well done, Baz.
    The cards definitely favoured the 'dogs in this one, although the British 'banger' finally did live up to its nickname.
    Tough draw on Bassenge. RIP

I have not had your problem loading pics, but did experience the dreaded time out issue and managed to get the 8 or so affected reloaded and avoided the blue frame extras when posting Mission 11.

P.S, unable to 'rep' you, unfortunately.

I regularly experience similar issues uploading Baz, can be a little frustrating.
    Uncle has posted

"He is wise who watches"

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Well played Baz, burst the sausage, sneaked the win & potted the Eagles leader in the process.

Uncle says:

Well done chaps, mission accomplished, shame you couldn't save our sausage but you can't win them all. Young Stark knocked off the Eagle's leader whilst you were about it so that'll be worth a few beers on his tab in the sergeants Mess tonight hopefully we'll get an invite to join them. Must look into making him up to second lieutenant...

Caul-August Schwartz has apparently taken over the Eagles - maybe he'll have more luck than his predecessor.

Credited Bassenge with the balloon as he got the fire going - is that correct ?
    Yes thanks Dave. Was not sure with him being KIA that he would get credit.
    Is my Butchers Bill stuff improving?

Well, you're playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order..

"He is wise who watches"

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Well, you're playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order..
    I was always told I was "Tone Deaf"

A real ding dong fight Barry, 27 cards to finally take down the British balloon compared to 15 for the German Sausage, plenty of action for the pilots as well.

As always nice looking planes, I do like the fact that you have C1 C2 and C3 for the DH2's, makes a good looking flight, rather than a rag tag of different planes flying together.

Just the beach landing to get upto date.

My Rep gun is jammed as well.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    A real ding dong fight Barry, 27 cards to finally take down the British balloon compared to 15 for the German Sausage, plenty of action for the pilots as well.

As always nice looking planes, I do like the fact that you have C1 C2 and C3 for the DH2's, makes a good looking flight, rather than a rag tag of different planes flying together.

Just the beach landing to get upto date.

My Rep gun is jammed as well.
    Thanks for the nice comments John.
    What have you chaps been up to that have Jammed your guns all of a sudden?

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    What have you chaps been up to that have Jammed your guns all of a sudden?
    Not enough repping, apparently, so needed to 'spread it around a bit'.
    Finally got mine cleared.

Good job on the AAR! It was a good read.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-19-2019, 06:48
  2. AAR OTT DYM Mission 10 - Flash's Double Jeopardy - 12th March 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-06-2019, 21:31
  3. BRF OTT DYM Mission 10-- March 12 1916---Double Jeopardy--gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 11-03-2019, 19:00
  4. AAR OTT DYM Mission 10-- March 12 1916---Double Jeopardy: zenlizard