Ares Games

Thread: Newb - how to figure out what planes to get

Users Country Flag

Name
    D. Scott Stewart
    Sorties Flown

Default Newb - how to figure out what planes to get

Hello all!

I've got the Total War T&T set and am looking at purchasing more WWI planes, but I'm kind of lost on what to get and a strategy on what to acquire in what order. I am looking at mostly German planes right now as I normally play "allies" in other historical mini games and looking to change up. Possibly French as well.

How do you determine what to get?

D.S. Stewart

Hello D S

Being a Veteran of over one month on here, I hope my slightly ocd investigations may help you. (p.s. I had great fun doing it though By first saw service/introduction. 1916 Spad XII, RAF RE8 (June) Albatros D II, Roland C II, 1917 SE5/5a (March) Sopwith Camel (June) Spad XIII, Albatros D V (April) Fokker DR I, 1918 Hanover CL III. My interest are mainly in the later era of the War, earlier stuff is up to you.

Welcome to the Drome from over the Pond, enjoy your flying. p.s. you will always need just one more model

Fellow newb here, and welcome to the madness

Those far more learned than I will weigh in, but I applaud your plan to form a strategy. It will go out the window

I copied this doc from another member and have been using it to track mine (highlighted). Ranking planes by points it gives a fair comparison so helps in matching up planes. Although for newbs like us, climb stats are not too relevant. I'd pay attention to hit points, speed, maneuver deck, and fire (damage deck). You can't go too far astray matching up planes that appeared in the duel packs: Fokker Dr.I vs Camel, Spad XIII vs Albatros D.Va:
    WoG WWI Plane Stats by Points
    Last edited by malachi; 11-22-2019 at 06:19.

Quote Originally Posted by maestrostewart View Post
    ....How do you determine what to get?...
    Simple - buy what's available while it's available because when it's not available you'll want it. Everybody does.

Decide where you want to fly, eg western front, Italian front or both.
    Research - this thread may help: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...Aircraft-lt-lt
    Series 1 and series 4 are available now - so RAF SE5, RAF SE5a are a good start for the allies; Pfalz D.III/D.IIIa for the Germans,
    You'll have some series 1 aircraft already with the Total War package but pick up some more eg SPAD XIII/Fokker Dr.1/Sopwith Camel/ Albatros D.Va
    checkout the sale /trade thread here, you may find some older stuff and bargains: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/fo...ed-Classifieds

Enjoy the chase & welcome to the forum

"He is wise who watches"

Depends on your area of interest-Early/mid/late war, whom you would like to fly with/against, ie, if you like Italian planes, you would want to consider the French builds (Nieuports and the like), plus of course, the ever-popular Hanriots. Austro-Hungarians would be a must in this paradigm, of course.

But like Flash says, see what's available. If you can't get your immediate interest, see what you can do about things that are tangential.

Also, be sure to keep an eye on Clipper's list, and the secondary markets, like EvilBay, sometimes Amazon. The Sell/Buy/Trade threads here are also a good resource.
    And if you have crafting skills, be sure to check out Shapeways-several of the forum members have their own Shapeways stores. REpaints and custom decal jobs are thing, and a worthwhile thing.

Mostly, though, patience. Through the years, I have managed to acquire enough of a collection to cover *almost* any scenario WGF has to offer ( I still lack seaplanes).

have fun with the game, have fun with the search.

Welcome to the 'Drome! I would recommend going to the Aerodrome Store first. There is a link up near the top of the page. And then if you can't find what you want there, look in the Sale/Trade/Wanted section. And at last resort go to EvilBay.

Since you are starting with T&T I would suggest late war aircraft.
    Se5a, Snipe, Camel, Fokker D.VII, Albatros DV and maybe Pfalz D.III
    Several of those were recently re-released, so grab them while you can.

Hmmm... The 'Buy what's available' advice by Dave [Flash] above is probably the best bet.

If you are interested in a specific front or country, that could be difficult. I wanted to stick to the Western Front, to limit damage to my wallet, and be able to fly planes that Canadians flew. I found out much later that Canadians flew all over the place, including in Italy and on the Eastern Front later in the war.

I made this post, to help with selecting planes in specific fronts and time periods: General Overview of WWI Miniatures - Timeline and Theaters 2017
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

welcome to the drome Scott! seriously, id recomend getting every mini you can get your hands on.

Lightbulb

Yes, every single one!
    Newer aircraft (in historical perspective) = faster (usually), more maneuverable more solid (often) = exactly what you need for beginnings. It's not a shame not to stay on battlefield during first few games, but don't do it hard and use minis with 90° turns if available. Then it's fine to continue to early war models

It has been interesting to chat with new members, many have bought from Hunters collection to get out of print minis, which is most of them. He and I made up duel packs for beginners long before Ares, back when Fantasy Flight dropped the game and we had little hope of the game's future. In those days you could still buy a few in the discontinued bins. Now it's the Aerodrome and what is still available online, it is getting thin. He would be happy to see so many of his collection still in action. Sad to see such a great game not being given the attention it's due by the makers. . .

Users Country Flag

Name
    D. Scott Stewart
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'm going to start with late war but follow the "get it while you can" advice as well

By the way, another option is outsource minis from AIM / Shapeways / Zvezda and hunt an eBay card version of game (fine price, they're just plane cards, maneuvers and damage decks).

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-30-2016, 08:46
  2. Massachusetts New England Newb
    By Netgeist in forum US Wing
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-06-2014, 21:59
  3. 1/144 Pilot Figure?
    By costampede in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 17:33