Ares Games

Thread: OTTDYM Mission 11 - Hoisted By His Own Petard - March the 19th 1916: Zenlizard

Default OTTDYM Mission 11 - Hoisted By His Own Petard - March the 19th 1916: Zenlizard

Once again, I have had no time to do up fancy scenery. Or coastal/see mats. Those might be my next long-term project. In the meantime, I hope to make up for lack of beautiful scenery with a good story line.

25. März 1916 25 March 1916
    Irgendwo in Frankreich Somewhere in France

Meine lieben Eltern:

Meine Liebe zu dir und natürlich auch zu Wolfgang, Schwester Helga und Onkel Ernst, wie immer. Es freut mich sehr, schreiben zu können. Mit diesen Briefen erfahren Sie nicht nur, wie es Ihrem pflichtbewussten Sohn geht, sondern sie können auch zu einem späteren Zeitpunkt als eine Art Tagebuch dienen. Ich hoffe, Sie behalten sie.

My Dear Parents:

My love to you, and of course, to little Wolfgang, sister Helga, and Uncle Ernst, as always. It gives me great pleasure to be able to write. Not only do these letters let you know how your dutiful son is doing, but they also may serve as a sort of diary, at some future date. I hope you are keeping them.

Obwohl das Wetter in seinem üblichen schrecklichen Zustand war und uns trotz der schrecklichen Schlacht bei Verdun, mit der Sie sicher Schritt gehalten haben, größtenteils auf dem Boden gehalten hat, war Ihr Sohn ziemlich beschäftigt. Sie sehen, wir haben einen neuen Piloten bei uns, einen Ersatz, Leutnant zur See Reinhard Smaragdeidechse. Ich sage Ltn zr See, weil er ursprünglich in der Marine mit diesem Rang war. Er hatte um einen Transfer zu den Fliegertruppen gebeten, und Oberleutnant Eidechse hatte mich wegen des schlechten Wetters angewiesen, Vizefeldwebel Dinosaurier und Feldwebel Krokodil nach Norden zu Smaragdeidechse zu bringen, um ihn zu untersuchen. "Sie wissen, wie es ist", sagte mir Herr Oberleutnant, "wenn wir Transfers erhalten, gibt es einen Grund. Die anderen Einheiten behalten ihre besten Piloten und schicken uns die Assi. Geht dort hinauf und ihr drei seht, ob er die Formation fliegen kann, ob er auf irgendeine Art und Weise diszipliniert fliegen kann. Ich verlasse mich auf Sie, Leutnant, um einen genauen Bericht zu erhalten. Sehen Sie nach, ob er gut ist, wenn wir ihn wirklich gebrauchen können. Wenn er Irre ist, werde ich sehen, wohin er sonst versetzt werden kann. Oh, und auf Jeden Fall, während Ihr dort seid, sollt Ihr auf Befehl der Marine-Fliegerabteilung handeln. Wir müssen mit ihnen zusammenarbeiten, um ihren Abfall abzunehmen. “

Although the weather has been in its usual horrible state, and keeping us on the ground for the most part, despite the terrible battle at Verdun, which I’m sure you have been keeping up with, your son has been quite busy. You see, we have a new pilot with us, a replacement, Leutnant zur See Reinhard Smaragdeidechse. I say Ltn zr See, because he was originally in the Navy with that rank. He had requested a transfer to Die Fliegertruppen, and, due to the inclement weather, Oberleutnant Eidechse had ordered me to take Vizefeldwebel Dinosaurier and Feldwebel Krokodil northward to Smaragdeidechse’s base to evaluate him. “You know how it is,“ Herr Oberleutnant told me, “When we get transfers, there’s a reason. The other units keep their best pilots, and send us the psychopaths. Go up there, and the three of you see if he can fly formation, if he can fly in any sort of a disciplined manner. I’m relying on you, Leutnant, for an accurate report. See if he’s any good, if we can really use him. If he’s a lunatic, I’ll see where else he can be transferred. Oh, and by the way, while there, you are to act under the orders of the Marine-Fliegerabteilung. We need to cooperate with them in exchange for taking their trash.”

Wir drei fuhren mit dem Zug hinauf; Wir ließen unsere Flugzeuge zurück, falls das Wetter wieder schön werden sollte und die Abteilung sie brauchte. Da die Nordsee größtenteils ein ruhiges Gebiet ist, fliegen die Marine-Abteilungen größtenteils ältere Flugzeuge, auch wenn sie keine Wasserflugzeuge sind. Ich habe keinen der neuen Halberstadts gesehen, als ich dort ankam. Aber wir konnten hin und wieder in Fokkers und einigen der älteren Zweisitzer aufsteigen. Leutnant Smaragdeidechse schien gut genug zu fliegen. Tatsächlich habe ich ihn gefragt, warum er den Transfer haben möchte und er sagte: "Ich komme aus Bayern. Ich trat der Marine für ein Abenteuer außerhalb der Berge bei. Aber seit Kriegsbeginn ist es nicht mehr so. Ich habe es satt, langweilige Patrouillen nacheinander zu fliegen. Ich hatte vor ein paar Monaten einen Transfer beantragt, wurde aber abgelehnt. Ich habe gerade angefangen, Dinge zu tun, die Oberleutnant zur See Fischkopf irritieren, ohne Disziplinarmaßnahmen zu provozieren, und ich glaube, er hat es endlich verstanden. “

The three of us went up by train; we left our planes behind in case the weather turned fair again, and the Abteilung needed them. Since the North Sea is mostly a quiet area, the Marine-Abteilungen fly mostly older aircraft, even when they aren’t flying seaplanes. I didn’t see any of the new Halberstadts when I got there. But we could go up every now and then in Fokkers and some of the older model two-seaters. Leutnant Smaragdeidechse seemed to fly well enough. In fact, I asked him why he wanted the transfer, and he said: “I’m from Bavaria. I joined the navy for some adventure away from the mountains. But it’s been nothing like that since the war started. I’m tired of flying boring patrol after patrol. I had requested a transfer a few months ago, but was denied. I just started doing things to irritate Oberleutnant zur See Fischkopf, without doing anything to provoke disciplinary action, and I think he finally got the message.”

Ich wollte dem Transfer zustimmen, und der Leutnant würde mit uns nach Süden zurückkehren, wenn etwas Besonderes passierte. Oltn zr See Fischkopf gab uns Befehls für eine ganz besondere Mission. Es scheint, als hätten zwei britische Wissenschaftler etwas unternommen, was sie nicht hätten tun sollen, und sich auf einer Insel in der Nähe der niederländisch / deutschen Grenze gestrandet. Da die Marineflieger alle auf ihren regulären Patrouillen waren, sollten wir vier in einigen übrig gebliebenen Flugzeugen abheben, die Mannschaften auf der Insel landen lassen und den britischen Herren "überreden", die leeren Sitze in den Zweisitzern zu besteigen und schnapp sie dir, bevor die Briten ihre eigenen Männer retten können. Auf die Frage, wie wir die Briten an Bord „überreden“ sollten, antwortete der Oberleutnant: „Spricht einer von Ihnen Englisch? Feldwebel Krokodil, ja? Gut! Ist mir egal. Die Insel ist bei Flut unter Wasser. Die Flut ist sowieso bald fällig. Sagen Sie ihnen das. Verwenden Sie Ihre Pistole. Drohen sie zu strafen. Was auch immer nötig ist! "

I was about to agree to the transfer, and the Leutnant was going to go back south with us, when something special happened. Oltn zr See Fischkopf gave us orders for a very special mission. It seems that a pair of British scientists had been doing something they shouldn’t have, and gotten themselves stranded on an island near the Dutch/German border. Since the naval fliers were all off on their regular patrols, the four of us were to take off in some leftover aircraft, have the enlisted men land on the island, “persuade” the British gentleman to board the empty seats in the two-seaters, and grab them before the British could rescue their own men. When asked just how we were to “persuade” the British on board, the Oberleutnant replied, “Do any of you speak English? Feldwebel Krokodil, yes? Good! I don’t care. The island is underwater at high tide. The tide is due in soon anyway. Tell them that. Use your side arms. Threaten to strafe them. Whatever works!”

Also machten wir uns auf den Weg. Da Leutnant Smaragdeidechse mit der Region am besten vertraut war, leitete er die Mission: Ich sollte mit den anderen fliegen, um sicherzustellen, dass keine französischen oder britischen Flugzeuge in der Nähe stören. Es schien einfach zu sein, aber als wir uns dem Ort näherten, bemerkte ich zwei Dinge: 1. Die Insel war nicht sehr groß, es schien gerade genug Platz für Dinosaurier und Krokodil zu sein, um nacheinander zu landen. 2. Einige französische Flugzeuge tauchten auf und es sah so aus, als hätten sie die gleiche Idee wie wir. Die Franzosen waren vor und unter uns, und Ltn Smaragdeidechse und ich gingen auf sie zu, während Dinosaurier und Krokodil sich zur Landung am Strand drehten. Es waren vier, ein Paar Eindecker und ein Paar Zweisitzer-Doppeldecker, genau wie wir.

So, off we went. As Leutnant Smaragdeidechse was the most familiar with the area, he would lead the mission: I was to fly with the others in order to ensure no interference from nearby French or British aircraft. It seemed simple, but as flew over the coast near the island, I noticed two things: 1. The island wasn’t very big, there seemed to be just enough room for Dinosaurier and Krokodil to land one at a time. 2. Some French aircraft showed up, and it looked like they had the same idea we did. The French were ahead and below of us, and Ltn Smaragdeidechse and I headed for them, while Dinosaurier and Krokodil turned for the landing on the beach. There were four of them, a pair of monoplanes and a pair of two-seater biplanes, the same as us.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0. Entry.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	206.7 KB 
ID:	278324 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1. Straight at us.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	237.7 KB 
ID:	278325

Der Leutnant und ich drehten uns sofort um, um gegen die Franzosen zu fliegen, die versuchten, unsere Zweisitzer anzugreifen. Ich bin ihnen begegnet, während Ltn Smaragdeidechse anfangs hoch oben geblieben ist. Ich weiß, dass ich meinen Gegner mit meinen ersten Schüssen getroffen habe und ich bin mir nicht sicher, ob ich ihn persönlich oder nur sein Flugzeug getroffen habe.

The Lieutenant and I immediately turned against the nearer of the French, who were trying to attack our two-seaters. I dove to meet them, while Ltn Smaragdeidechse stayed up high at first. I know I hit my opponent with my first shots, and I’m not sure if I hit him personally, or just his plane. {Note: I had already dived, so no +1 for altitude. Both Frenchmen climbed, and Smaragdeidechse dove this round, so he does not get a shot, due to overlapping}

Name:	2. Sandwich.jpg 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	278326 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3. Opening shots.jpg 
Size:	245.7 KB 
ID:	278327

Ich konnte mich hinter ihn setzen und wieder schießen. Ich bin mir sicher, dass meine Kugeln ihn getroffen haben, aber er konnte sich aus meinem Feuer entfernen. Der andere Franzose war allerdings in der Nähe, so dass ich ihn auch schlagen konnte. Ich sah ihn bald in den Ozean fallen.

I was able to get behind him, and shot again. I am sure my bullets hit him, but he was able to move out of my fire. The other Frenchman was nearby, though, so I was able to hit him as well. I soon saw him fall into the ocean. {Note: shots at Machin are at +1 for aim; also the second set of shots at Thierrens, which caused enough damage to knock him down. Thierrens has the Strong Constitution characteristic, so ignores the pilot wound.}

Name:	4. Second burst.jpg 
Size:	177.7 KB 
ID:	278328 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5. Third burst.jpg 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	278329 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6. First kill.jpg 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	278330

Im Krieg, besonders im Luftkampf, geht es schnell. Die französischen Doppeldecker flogen an der Sandbank, mein verbleibender Gegner drehte sich um und flog auf mich zu, und Smaragdeidechse verfolgte die Zweisitzer.

In war, especially in aerial combat, things happen quickly. The French biplanes approached the sandbar, my remaining opponent turned and flew at me, and Smaragdeidechse pursued the two-seaters.

Name:	7. Saune's approach.jpg 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	278331 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8. Machin's Immelmann.jpg 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	278332 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9. Smaragdeidechse's pursuit.jpg 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	278333

Während einer von ihnen landete, wurde ich von dem verbleibenden Eindecker angegriffen. Ich versuchte mich schnell zu ihm umzudrehen, aber mein Steuerknüppel hatte Probleme. Aber ich habe eine Immelmann-Wende geschafft. Dann sah ich Rauch aus dem Motor von Smaragdeidechse! Ich denke, der Rauch hat ihn fast mit dem französischen Doppeldecker kollidieren lassen.

While one of them landed, I was attacked by the remaining monoplane. I tried to quickly turn towards him, but my control stick was having problems. But I did manage an Immelmann turn. Then I saw smoke coming from Smaragdeidechse’s engine! I think the smoke is what made him almost collide with the French biplane.

Name:	10. Saune Lands.jpg 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	278334 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11. Machin's shot.jpg 
Size:	201.4 KB 
ID:	278335

Name:	12. Pelletier's shot.jpg 
Size:	253.2 KB 
ID:	278336 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13. Near collision.jpg 
Size:	174.1 KB 
ID:	278337

Smaragdeidechse und ich hatten getan, was wir konnten. Unser Treibstoff ging zur Neige und wir mussten gehen. Als wir uns nach Hause drehten, sah ich einen der Castaways in das Cockpit des Neiuport steigen. Dinosaurier war über die Sandbank geflogen, konnte aber nicht landen, sonst wäre er in den Nieuport gestürzt. Meine Aufmerksamkeit wurde wieder auf das verbleibende Eindecker gelenkt, als er auf mich schoss. Seine Waffe blieb jedoch abrupt stehen - ich fragte mich, ob sie sich verklemmt hatte. Und endlich konnte der Leutnant einen guten Schuss abgeben - trotz des Rauches in seinem Gesicht schnitt er das Leitwerk aus dem Flugzeug, und es fiel direkt nach unten. Dadurch konnte ich auf der Sandbank einen guten Überblick über das Geschehen in der Ferne bekommen.

Smaragdeidechse and I had done what we could. Our fuel was getting low, and we had to leave. As we turned for home, I saw one of the castaways climb into the cockpit of the Neiuport. Dinosaurier had flown over the sandbar, but couldn’t land, or he would have crashed into the Nieuport. My attention was drawn back to the remaining monoplane, as he gave me another burst. His fire was cut short, though-I wondered if it jammed. And at last, the Lieutenant was able to get in a good shot-despite the smoke in his face, he cut the tail off the plane, and it fell straight down. This allowed me to get a good view of what was happening in the distance, on the sandbar. {Note: in the last photo of this group, Smaragdeidechse has no shot due to range for altitude.}

Name:	14. Scientist aboard.jpg 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	278338 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15. Machin's second shot.jpg 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	278339 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16. Smaragdeidechse's kill.jpg 
Size:	227.3 KB 
ID:	278340

Der Neiuport startete und Krokodil begann seinen Versuch, auf dem engen verfügbaren Raum zu landen. Er konnte es nicht tun, denn die verrückten Franzosen drängten sich auf dem Landeplatz. Einer versuchte zu landen, während der andere abhob. Und dann schoss Dinosaurier auf den Franzosen, der gerade landete, während derjenige, der abhob, auf ihn schoss. Und dieser erstere tauschte Schüsse mit Krokodil, dessen Motor dann auch zu rauchen begann.

The Neiuport was taking off, and Krokodil started his attempt to land on the narrow space available. He could not do it, for the insane Frenchmen were crowding the landing area. There was one trying to land, at the same time as the other was taking off. And then Dinosaurier shot at the Frenchman who was landing, while the one taking off shot at him. And that former one exchanged shots with Krokodil, whose engine than also began to smoke. {Note: in the first photo of this group, Machin has no shot due to gun jam.}

Name:	17. Saune take-off.jpg 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	278341 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18. Three's a crowd.jpg 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	278342

Name:	19. Free-for-all.jpg 
Size:	231.2 KB 
ID:	278343 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20. Krokodil and Pelletier exchange.jpg 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	278344

Der zweite Franzose landete, aber während er am Boden war, schoss Dinosaurier mehrmals. Ich war zu weit weg, um zu sehen, wie effektiv seine Schüsse waren.

The second Frenchman landed, but while he was on the ground, Dinosaurier fired several times. I was too far away to see how effective his shots were, though.

Name:	21. No shots, no collisions.jpg 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	278345 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22. Continued strafe.jpg 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	278346 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23. Close-range strafe.jpg 
Size:	242.2 KB 
ID:	278347

Später berichtete Dinosaurier, er habe das französische Flugzeug überflogen und gesehen, wie der andere Besetzte das Flugzeug umdrehte, bevor er einstieg. Die Flut kam jetzt schnell herein, und der französische Pilot schaffte es kaum, in die Luft zu gelangen, bevor die Flut sie überflutete . Dinosaurier konnte sein Flugzeug nicht rechtzeitig drehen, um erneut zu schießen.

Dinosaurier’s later report was that he overflew the French airplane, and saw the other castaway help turn the plane around before climbing in. The tide was coming in rapidly now, and the French pilot barely managed to get into the air before the tide washed over them. Dinosaurier was unable to turn his plane in time to shoot again.

Name:	24. Overflight.jpg 
Size:	252.9 KB 
ID:	278348 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25. Take-off run.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	232.4 KB 
ID:	278349

Name:	26. Beat the tide.jpg 
Size:	241.8 KB 
ID:	278350

Krokodils Bericht an mich später war, dass er den ersten Franzosen verfolgte, aber nicht aufholen konnte. Wegen des Rauchs konnte er nicht gut sehen, und der Franzose konnte fliehen. Aber dann flog der zweite Franzose vorbei und er konnte ein paar Schüsse einstecken, aber wir wissen nicht, wie effektiv sie gewesen sein könnten. Auch dieses Flugzeug konnte entkommen.

Krokodil’s report to me later was that he went after the first Frenchman, but was unable to catch up. He couldn’t see very well, due to the smoke, and the Frenchman escaped. But then the second Frenchman flew past, and he was able to get a few shots in at this one, but to what effect, we don’t know. This plane, too, escaped.

Name:	27. Krokodil chasing Saune.jpg 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	278351 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28. Saune's escape.jpg 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	278352 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29. Krokodil's last shot.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	278353

Also, das ist, was passiert ist. Oltn zr See Fischkopf war nicht glücklich darüber, dass wir das feindliche Personal abholen konnten. Als wir zum Flugplatz zurückkehrten, tat er alles, um uns von seinem Feld zu holen, und gewährte der jetzt leutnanten Smaragdeidechse eifrig den Transfer, den er wollte. Als ich zu unserem Heimatfeld zurückkam, berichtete ich Herrn Oberleutnant Eidechse, dass wir einen guten neuen Piloten bei uns hatten, und er wird sich gut einfügen.
    Dein Dich liebender Sohn,
    Leopold.

So, that’s what happened. Oltn zr See Fischkopf was not happy that we were unable to pick up the enemy personnel. When we returned to the airfield, he did everything he could to order us off his field, and eagerly granted the now-Leutnant Smaragdeidechse the transfer he wanted. When I got back to our home field, my report to Herr Oberleutnant Eidechse that we had a fine new pilot with us, and he will fit in well.
    Your loving Son,
    Leopold.
    Last edited by zenlizard; 11-21-2019 at 19:21.

Butcher’s bill and final thoughts:

Bulldogs:

Morane #1 damage
    S/Lt William Machin: EXP-Sea/WIA/0 Kills
    C & W roll: 9 -3EXP -1WIA -1SEA = 4: Injured, skip 1d6, roll 5 = skip 5
    E & E roll: 7, -1EXP -1WIA -1WIC -1SEA = 3: Captured and escaped, skip 1d3, roll 6 = skip 3
    Total skip 5 missions
    {Note: bottom row at +1}

Name:	30. Morane #1 damage.jpg 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	278354

Morane #2 damage
    Asp Jean Thierrens: SD-SEA 0 Kills
    {Note: wound ignored due to Strong Constitution}
    C & W roll: 7, -1SD, -1SEA = 5, Injured, skip 1d3, roll 3 = skip 2
    E & E roll: 11, -1WIC -1SEA = 9, They didn’t even see me!
    Total skip 2 missions

Name:	31. Morane #2 damage.jpg 
Size:	333.7 KB 
ID:	278355

Nieuport 12 #1 damage
    Lt Maurice Saune: RTB 0 Kills, rescued scientist
    No damage to record

Nieuport 12 #2 damage
    S/Lt Antoine Pelletier: RTB 0 Kills, rescued engineer

Name:	32. Nieuport #2 damage.jpg 
Size:	236.2 KB 
ID:	278356

Eagles:

Fokker #1 damage
    Leutnant Reinhard Smaragdeidechse: RTB 1 Kill

Name:	33. Fokker #1 damage.jpg 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	278357

Albatros #1 damage
    Vizefeldwebel Ludwig Dinosaurier: RTB 0 Kills

Name:	34. Albatros # 1 damage.jpg 
Size:	268.0 KB 
ID:	278358

Albatros #2 damage
    Feldwebel Sebastian Krokodil: RTB 0 Kills

Name:	35. Albatros #2 damage.jpg 
Size:	255.6 KB 
ID:	278359

Fokker #2 damage
    Leutnant Leopold Sägerjäger: RTB 1 Kill

Name:	36. Fokker #2 damage.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	166.2 KB 
ID:	278360

Result: French recovery of both the scientist and engineer. Complete French victory.

A quite interesting scenario; I’ve never tried landing on the battlefield before. The Germans got lucky early on with the card draws; only one zero until much later in the game: but the French got lucky in that respect when it really counted, with the zeros (they ARE in the deck!) against the second Nieuport. Most especially, when it came time for the game of chicken, I drew cards from the A deck: the first with special damage would be the first to flinch. That turned out to be Leutnant Krokodil. Thus, Pelletier was able to also land and get his man, although water was lapping at his tail skid by then. Makes for a much better cliff-hanger, no doubt this one will be told in French pulp magazines after the war.
    Last edited by flash; 11-22-2019 at 02:56. Reason: Tally correction

Onkel says:

Well, we failed this time but at least you dunked a couple of those French dogs so some cause to celebrate - there is more too:
    Ltn Reinhard Smaragdeidechse is awarded his pilots badge for his first victory on his first outing, an auspicious start with the Eagles
    Ltn Leopold Sägerjäger is awarded the Iron Cross 1st Class for his fifth victory and outstanding service to the Kaiser He is a confirmed fire expert
    Last edited by flash; 11-22-2019 at 07:12.

Well played Sam, the essential elements were there if not the scenic's, your chaps did their best in the time they had but they were bested by those French Bulldogs even if it did cost them.
    Last edited by flash; 11-22-2019 at 07:04.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Oh! I had forgotten that would be the fifth victory! Now Leopold has something else to write home about!

Well the froggies beatchya to the prize, but at least you downed a couple, and made ace in the bargain.
    The lack of coastal maps could just be considered marshy lowlands, so the effect was not missed too much.

Blue fabric does the trick for me when we have the need for water.

Great AAR!

Thumbs up

Good effort Sam but Fate played against your Eagles this time.
    However you now have an Ace & your new pilot showed his skill with a victory.

Rep inbound.

Congratulations, especially to your new "Green Lizard". And a couple of gongs and a new ace skill to boot. Can't be bad Who cares about a couple of mad scientists? They'll probably blow themselves up again, some time in the near future, anyway. Forget 'em and sit down and write that second letter home. Your family needs to know of your successes. It will give them great comfort and make them feel very proud of you

Like the way you select your character's names - "Fish Head" huh! That's also one I like
    REP inbound.

Nice story Sam, honours about even I think, even though you missed getting the scientist at least all your pilots made it home, which is more than can be said for the French chaps. Racking up the squadrons score and making an ace as well, can't be bad.

I like the Nieuport 12's are they Shapeways? They're ever so small for 2 seaters compared to the Albatros and BE2's. I used some Nieuport 10's in my game, quite fragile planes as I found out.

Sorry Rep gun firing blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond
    Nice story Sam, honours about even I think
    Thank you-I kept trying to figure out how to work in something so far from the main scene of action-Verdun-to the Abteilung's story arc. Fortunately (?), due to pilot causalities, I needed a replacement, so the transfer from a naval flier gave me the proper excuse. have to disagree about the even honors, though-yes, building up the squadron is a strong point, but I think the French helped out their British allies even more with the daring rescue.

The aspect that I like most about this game is the opportunity is work in a lot of creativity-whether its a good story line, painting/repainting miniatures, doing your own aircraft cards, and.or exciting game play, it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond
    I like the Nieuport 12's are they Shapeways? They're ever so small for 2 seaters compared to the Albatros and BE2's. I used some Nieuport 10's in my game, quite fragile planes as I found out.
    Correct on both counts. The only downside to the 12s is their comparative fragility-and the Nieuport 10s even more so.

Cheers Sam and I fixed the Rep gun as well.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-18-2019, 04:16
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-17-2019, 02:19
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-17-2019, 01:59
  4. BRF OTTDYM Mission 11 - Hoisted By His Own Petard - March the 19th 1916 - Kyte
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 11-13-2019, 16:35
  5. AAR OTT DYM Mission 3- Knowledge is power - 19th Jan 1916: zenlizard
    By zenlizard in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-24-2019, 14:47