Ares Games

Thread: Quick Immelmann turn question

Default Quick Immelmann turn question

Hi all,

Just a quick question on the Immelmann turn.

Is the below move legal? I am thinking not as the cards have the little "stall " icon instead of the forward arrow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quest.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	278233

Ah, just found the answer in the FAQ.

The answer is NO. Those little stall icons in the bottom right mean that the turn isn't a "straight".

If you played a straight as the third card in the example shown it would be a Split S William but for the Immelmann it is, as you know, straight / Immelmann / straight

"He is wise who watches"

As far as I am aware the straight before, and after, the immelmann needs to be a full straight not the 'stall' straight.

For a quick reference sheet, see this file: WGF Special Manoeuvres - Aide Memoire

I don't play with altitude, but I allow Split-S turns and Immelmann turns as desired by the pilot. As the Split-S uses a Stall card to start the about turn, it is quicker, or keeps the target closer in range. Both still require a full Straight to complete, unless the Acrobatic Ace Skill is used (Link: Ace Abilities and Optional Rules).

The images on this post might help explain the maneuvers: Immelman Turns Question - Post #27
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Hmmm... I don't understand the split S. I thought the rules for the immelmann said it has to be a straight before and after but the split S starts with a stall.

Quote Originally Posted by william1134 View Post
    Hmmm... I don't understand the split S. I thought the rules for the immelmann said it has to be a straight before and after but the split S starts with a stall.
    The Split-S is actually a dive, with a half-turn, then a pull-out. When playing with altitude, you loose a level, or at least a climb counter.

As I said above, I don't always play with altitude, but I allow people to choose the climbing Immelmann or the diving Split-S turns as the situation dictates.

Look at the images showing the turns at the link I posted above: Immelman Turns Question - Post #27
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by william1134 View Post
    It can be confusing William - if you treat what we call the Immelmann card as a multi purpose reversal card, part of, and not, the complete manoeuvre, it may become clearer.
    The Immelmann turn and Split S are three card manoeuvres with the 'Immelmann' reversal card at their core; the Immelmann goes upward the Split S goes downward, Zoe's illustrations on the link posted by Mike shows them off well.

"He is wise who watches"

Here's another immelman question: if you play a straight, immelman, straight, can the next card be an immelman?

Yes
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. Observers and Immelmann Turn
    By RJames in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-04-2015, 14:30
  2. Fire and Immelmann Turn
    By Marekski in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 11-26-2014, 08:57
  3. Immelmann Turn Question
    By Pope in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 30