Ares Games

Thread: What is eveyone watching or reading

Default What is eveyone watching or reading

Well everyone, it is cold outside and time to do inside stuff. Thought I would stir up some thoughts with what everyone is reading or watching right now.

I finally watched The Blue Max with George Peppard. I really enjoyed it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thebluemax.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	278177

I have been reading through two books published by Schiffer. The Nieuport 28: America's First Fighter and The Camel Drivers: The 17th Aero Squadron in World War I. I think these are both great books.

Name:	nieuport.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	278178

Name:	cameldrivers.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	278179

What has everyone else been up to?

At the moment I am about half way through this, having just completed my 303 squadron models.

Name:	IMG_8460.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	278180

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Haven't read it yet, but I have this next: https://www.amazon.ca/Lucky-666-Impo.../dp/1476774854

"From the authors of the New York Times bestselling The Heart of Everything That Is and Halsey’s Typhoon comes the dramatic, untold story of a daredevil bomber pilot and his misfit crew who fly their lone B-17 into the teeth of the Japanese Empire in 1943, engage in the longest dogfight in history, and change the momentum of the War in the Pacific—but not without making the ultimate sacrifice."

Thumbs up

Well not watching any aero movies but going through the full collection of Inspector Morse DVD's.
    On the reading front just downloaded the Kindle version of "a Game of Birds & Wolves".
    I was alerted to the book by a mate who saw an interview with the Author on our ABC TV.
    It is the story of a Naval Officer who recruited a group of WRENS to play Wargames on the floor of a London warehouse to find an answer to the German Submarine Woolf packs which were decimating the supply ships from America.
    Promises to be an interesting read.

I am readin ‘Anzac Aviator’ the biography of Ross Smith.

Recently have been picking up new reading material related to WW1 aviation. This is my first read.

Name:	Air Aces of the Austro-Hungarian Empire 1914-1918.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	278186

This all looks very interesting!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

I will be watching BBC TV's adaptation of H.G.Wells story 'The War of the Worlds' on he next three Sunday nights, starting tomorrow.

rereading "the making of star trek".

Recently finished Peter Kilduff's book on Richthofen I picked up cheap in a market, very interesting snippets on some of his wingmen & contemporaries, now wading back into my Patrick O'Brian collection from the start (Master & Commander) ... that should keep me going for a while !
    Watched 303 Sqn on SKY cinema last week, will watch War of the Worlds too.

"He is wise who watches"

Latest couple of things I've read with relevancy were "Thunder in the Argonne" (https://www.strategypage.com/bookreviews/1719 ) and "MacArthur's Air Force" ( https://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/boo...%99s-air-force ). Links for reviews.

Got 303 on DVD to watch. Finished War as I knew it by George S Patton good read recommended re reading Wings of War by Rudolf Stark. similar to Cecil Lewis Sag rising but from the German perspective.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

New book showed up today!!!! WooHoo!!! This is a lot thicker than I thought. Lots of great information! Wings of Honor: American Airmen in World War I by James Sloan.

Name:	index.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	278211

Reading "Black Tuesday Over Namsi." Not bad, but I need to get back to it.

Started reading the Haynes Avro Lancaster Workshop Manual picked up in The Works this morning for Ł7.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Guntruck, that looks pretty cool! Seen those for the B-17, I think I might have to fall off the wagon and get one!

I just finished reading A Higher Call

Finished reading about the 100 Hour War or Soccer War so that is why I did some P-51's and Corsairs (see this months Hobby Room). Just received a book, MacArthur's Air Force. Looks like a good read so will post a report on it.

Just finished reading "Shattered Sword", recounting the Battle of Midway from a predominantly Japanese point of view.

About to start "Jagdstaffel Boelcke" - monster-sized hardback I found under an armchair in my living room!

Watching (again) "Battlestar Galactica" reboot - I'm about a third of the way through Season 1.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Just finished reading "Shattered Sword", recounting the Battle of Midway from a predominantly Japanese point of view.

About to start "Jagdstaffel Boelcke" - monster-sized hardback I found under an armchair in my living room!

Watching (again) "Battlestar Galactica" reboot - I'm about a third of the way through Season 1.
    Hi Tim. What did you think of "Shattered Sword" ?
    I thought it fascinating that the modern day Japanese Historians completely shafted Fujitas account.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Hi Tim. What did you think of "Shattered Sword" ?
    I thought it fascinating that the modern day Japanese Historians completely shafted Fujitas account.
    An amazing and enlightening read.

It wasn't just the Modern Day Japanese historians - the written accounts of Fujita's contemporaries contradicted him, but no-one had ever bothered to check them! Fujita got in first and, since he was famous and the highest ranking eye-witness at that time, his account was just accepted at face value.

It was also very refreshing to see American authors debunking the American-led myths of the battle, as regards the "miracle" of the victory, when in fact the odds were stacked in the US Navy's favour, a situation which could not have changed within the three-day timeframe.

As always, the bits I found MOST interesting were the mistakes, cock-ups, accidents and incidents of pure luck, both good and bad, which always seem to be evident in Naval conflict histories.
    They are present across all forms of warfare, but only Naval combat has these incidents confined to a very few individual ships/squadrons, and witnessed by large numbers of combatants compressed into those few finite locations.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Halfway through re-reading The Massacre of Mankind, the official sequel to The War of the Worlds. Also midway through rereading The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey, and just starting German Armor in Normandy by Yves Buffetaut, a Casemate book I picked up this weekend in Oklahoma while visiting Son #2.

Still working my way through BSG - the Reboot - almost done with Season 2...still on the fence about the show... HBO has the new Watchmen series running now, and I am hooked on it. And SWMBO and I just finished the British limited series "Collateral" - really enjoyed it.

So many books and shows, so little time...

All the best,
    Matt

A 6 part political revenge play. Total Control.

The ABC iView app allows this to be played anywhere in the world.

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/total-control

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Halfway through re-reading The Massacre of Mankind, the official sequel to The War of the Worlds. Also midway through rereading The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey, and just starting German Armor in Normandy by Yves Buffetaut, a Casemate book I picked up this weekend in Oklahoma while visiting Son #2.

Still working my way through BSG - the Reboot - almost done with Season 2...still on the fence about the show... HBO has the new Watchmen series running now, and I am hooked on it. And SWMBO and I just finished the British limited series "Collateral" - really enjoyed it.

So many books and shows, so little time...

All the best,
    Matt

Yes, too many books and shows and too little time.

I really enjoyed the first 3 seasons of the Battlestar Reboot. The fourth season I did not care much for. I still love the original 1978 version. I am drooling in much anticipation for the Amazon Lord of the Rings series.

Been watching Ash versus the Evil Dead with the wife. If you like Bruce Campbell you'll love it!

One of my friends dropped this by, fresh from the Ukraine . . . very interesting, I can hardly wait to digest it and do a possible diorama/setting . . . Ore Mountains, quite a battle!

Name:	20191118_091723_resized.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	193.6 KB 
ID:	278271

Name:	20191116_081028.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	181.7 KB 
ID:	278275

It has flying boats in it...

Rereading my fav, Richard Hallion's Rise of the Fighter Aircraft 1914-1918.

Watched Spitfire and Greatest Events of WWII on amazon, both very good.

Watched a very good 30 minute documentary on The Lafayette Escadrille.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvIEDVIW4AU

I strongly recommend it.

Very,very cool. Thank you Dan.

Found this beast this morning. I love it! Tons of information. Massive book!

Name:	61pj35FfwoL.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	278871

This one as well

Name:	51dnXR2fJmL.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	278872

Really nice info!

This is what I am currently reading. Very interesting insight into the daylight raids made by the men of the US 8th Air Force.

Name:	Half a Wing v2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	278884

Similar Missions

1. Video worth watching
    By redcoon2 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-11-2019, 06:47
  2. Now this looks like it might be worth watching.
    By Rabbit 3 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-24-2018, 14:37
  3. Who's watching the eclipse?
    By zenlizard in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-22-2017, 14:22
  4. Watching war films with my dad
    By Dowters in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2017, 09:45
  5. Like watching paint dry