Ares Games

Thread: No Wings here, only Zombies

Default No Wings here, only Zombies

Some of you already know that one of my other favorite games to play is Zombicide. For those of you who might not be familar with Zombicide, it is a cooperative game were the players are survivors during the zombie apocalypses. It is also a game with a lot of minis and parts to it.

With so much 1st Ed stuff in my collection, I was finding that it took up lots of room when we would play a game. There was always stuff all over the table and I had to setup another small table to put my trays of zombie minis on. It was never very organized and just took away from my game experience some.

So I decided to build crate with drawers in it. My thoughts were that the crate could be on casters and I could roll it over to our dinning room table when we played. I'd keep the trays of minis in the drawers and just open them up and get out the minis as we needed them. Having them in vertical drawers keeps the amount of space needed down.

So this is what I came up with...

The crate is on four swivel casters so that it is super easy to move around (it weighs a ton) the other furniture and store in my game closet.

It is made of 1/2" Baltic birch plywood and 3/4" pine trim. I used my table saw to cut grooves for the fake wooden planks. Everything was sanded down to 220 grit and then I beat the crap out of everything to "weather" it. I then applied my base paint colors. Once those were dry, I painted all of the distressed wood grain on everything. This process also filled in all the dent and dings I had beat into it with dark paint, making everything look old and beat up.

I thought it would be nice to have a place to keep the rule books and compendiums handy during game play, so I built a compartment on top to house them. The curved shape hinges hold it open and keep my fingers from getting smashed.

I still store all of my game tiles and tokens in the game boxes, so I kept a place at the bottom for me to store those. As you can see, the front panel slides up and off to give access to the drawers. Doing this instead of a typical hinged door keep the foot print of the crate down and meant I did not need a lot of room between the wall and the game table to park this thing.

With the front panel off you can see the five drawers that hold my mini trays. I thought about labeling each drawer with the type of zombies in it, but I thought I might like to change that around in the future, so I laser engraved some biohazard logos on each draw and will just remember which zombies are in which drawer.

I can fit two of the foam trays I made into each drawer. My lowest drawer currently only has one tray in it, so I am also storing my Character Cases in that drawer as well.

This project took a lot of time to build and paint (time I probably should have spent painting zombies!), but it was really fun and now I have a cool place to store all my Zombicide games.

Thanks for having a look at my Zombicide Crate even thought it is not Wings related!

Thumbs up

Very nifty solution to your problem Keith.

Impressive! Very awesome in the most complete and utter sense of AWESOME!

Really nice Herr Oberst! Might have to do something similar for my Wings collection! I love the scratches on the top.

Excellent solution to the storage problem Keith. I too think it's a great game but with all the expansions, extra figures and the latest Zombicide Invaders edition, I think it would be quicker for me to put a wardrobe on casters
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Love your solution and finishing of whole crate. Hope I will push it through corridors of Greater Columbus Convention Center one day

A very excellent piece of storage. While I am 110% anti-Zombie gaming (worst than Tim and Sails), You have made a great solution for your game, thus my

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Top notch solution Boss, well worth all the effort

"He is wise who watches"

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Gorgeous work throughout, mein Oberst! Outstanding - love the laser cuts on each drawer, love the colors, in fact, everything about it

Unfortunately, now that it is all finished, you have no excuse not to be painting the figures......and that game sure has a lot of them!

All the best,
    Matt

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    A very excellent piece of storage. While I am 110% anti-Zombie gaming (worst than Tim and Sails), You have made a great solution for your game, thus my

Karl
    I'm not a huge fan of zombie games either Karl, but this one is actually quite fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Love your solution and finishing of whole crate. Hope I will push it through corridors of Greater Columbus Convention Center one day
    I don't think this cart will ever grace the gaming halls of Columbus... it would be cheaper to fly a couple of our LL members back over for a reunion tour than to ship this thing! It is a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Gorgeous work throughout, mein Oberst! Outstanding - love the laser cuts on each drawer, love the colors, in fact, everything about it

Unfortunately, now that it is all finished, you have no excuse not to be painting the figures......and that game sure has a lot of them!

All the best,
    Matt
    Oh, my wife would disagree with you there Matt. She now wants her own custom made chest to hold some of her scrapbooking supplies!

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Oh, my wife would disagree with you there Matt. She now wants her own custom made chest to hold some of her scrapbooking supplies!
    Well, your now hoist by you're own petard, or at least by you're wood working tools
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

If SWMBO ain't happy, nobody's happy! I guess the rest of the game figures will just have to do a bit more waiting... Make that little lady happy!

All the best,
    Matt

Wish I had your woodworking skills, Keith.
    Excellent work.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Wish I had your woodworking skills, Keith.
    Excellent work.
    My woodworking skills are quite humble actually. This project just took basic skills with a table saw, router, sander and a measuring tape. And more than once the measuring tape skills were found lacking. lol

Excellent work, Keith! People will now be wanting similar crates to store their 'Wings of Glory' planes.

Nice homemade stuff.
    Voilā le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Excellent work, Keith! People will now be wanting similar crates to store their 'Wings of Glory' planes.
    I had thought about doing one for my Wings collection, but I'd have to build several to house all the planes and decks! Plus, I almost always have to travel to the gaming location when I get to play Wings. I guess I could just unload the needed trays from the drawers in to my bag.

The crates would look really color painted up with roundels on the site or in German grey and yellow for WGS minis.

How inventive the folks are in here. Fantastic work.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-30-2017, 14:20
  2. National: Wings of Glory / Wings of Past / Wings of Money
    By gratefulbob in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-21-2017, 10:38
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-22-2016, 09:11
  4. WGF Huge collection Wings of War / Wings of Glory : 106 planes
    By Ludobrabo in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2