Ares Games

Thread: oh the ignominy

Default oh the ignominy

Sat down last night to play a solo game to start learning the ropes. So out comes a shiny, new Sopwith Camel for me and a Roland CII for AI purposes (target practice really) Cards and damage decks all sorted plus little piles of counters. Planes placed strategicaly on the table and away we go. Top card, top card, shuffle, shuffle for the Roland. Careful planning for me. I come up behind him on his right hand side, out come the ruler for both of us to have a long range shot. My A deck - 0, AI B deck - BOOM card. My that didn't go well - I've just been shot out the skies by a dummy. That was a short game, let's ave annuva one.

All set up, off we go again. This one had nearly everything, lots of flying around, machine guns going off left, right and centre, covering the whole area of the table (and nearly off it apart from a few changes of cards to keep the game going) All in all, I think the Camel had 3 gun jams to contend with (at various stages), at one stage both planes were on fire and a bit busy coping with that. Then the Camel got a damaged engine and life became difficult and ended with being shot down AGAIN.

At the ended I counted between A and B damage decks, I'd drawn 23 "0" damage cards.

A good few hours, rules coming easier, then one day, watch out, camel crew will be coming to getcha

Happens to all of us at some point Iain - even against AI !
    Here's a tip: If you don't want an early bath seed the damage decks ie shuffle the boom card(s) into the bottom half of the deck. At least you'll get a bit of a kick-about before the dreaded card gets you.

"He is wise who watches"

I did that for the second dog fight, hadn't even thought of it when I first sat down.

Lately, most of the games I've played I've been teaching new players and have ended with a very similar result. The new player seems to draw all øs and I pull the boom card. I even got shot down by my 5-year-old (who just wanted to pick up the planes and fly them around). It's good though because it motivates them to play again. I can be competitive but when it comes to this game my first goal is that everyone has fun.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

We used to sort out the boom card for our pick up games, but now we are mostly play the boom card only with inflicting the half of the planes initial damage value, as suggested in the T&T rules.

Quote Originally Posted by rmarsh View Post
    I can be competitive but when it comes to this game my first goal is that everyone has fun.
    In a good game both players have fun. I like competitive games, too, but the fun for all players have to be to the fore.
    Last edited by Karo7; 11-14-2019 at 14:07.

It is the luck of the draw. I have been taken out early in games by the boom card quite regularly. But then in our last game I managed to be the last plane flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Karo7 View Post
    We used to sort out the boom card for our pick up games, but now we are mostly play the boom card only with inflicting the half of the planes initial damage value, as suggested in the T&T rules..
    This is also how we play. Works quite well.

We were playing a game at FALL IN and a new person to the game drew a BOOM card but we thought he should get to pick a new card. First time playing and exploding on the first card not a good thing. Then I was fling a Bristol and my first shot was a JAM but I do have a second gun. Then Teaticket gets his Bristol into firing position and he gets a JAM. We must have had a bad ground crew.