Ares Games

Thread: Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 7 Nov 2019

Default Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 7 Nov 2019

Washington, D.C. beltway traffic in the rain is the pits. Over two hours to arrive at Gritty Goblin Games so I missed the begin of the first scenario, but I saw much of it.

AAR #1 - It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. Craig made a Great Pumpkin balloon and added Snoopy on his doghouse, along with two lorry mounted anti-aircraft guns, for defense. Three red Fokker Dr.Is were on the attack flown by John, BalticBob and Todd. Snoopy used a Sopwith Camel maneuver deck. Here we see some early action.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0453.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	277936

Todd got somewhat behind Snoopy and hit him at close range.

Name:	IMG_0454.JPG 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	277937

Todd was able to stick on Snoopy's tail (pun intended) and hit him twice more at close range for two cards at +1. As you can see, it wasn't pretty. Snoopy made a successful crash landing and retired to his favorite estaminet to order a root beer from a cute French girl.

Name:	IMG_0455.JPG 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	277938

Now one of the AA lorries is down. In the background we see that the Great Pumpkin has 2001 damage points. Hal 9000 is not amused.

Name:	IMG_0456.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	277939

John hits the Great Pumpkin with the Boom card, and the scenario is over. Perhaps more defense in the future.

Name:	IMG_0457.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	277940

For destroying the Great Pumpkin, Craig had provided a special prize. John shows off his prize, an imitation Blue Max medal. The fellow in the background with the white whiskers is Baltic Bob.

Name:	IMG_0458.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	277941
    So how many books are in your personal library?

AAR #2 - It's the War of the Worlds. We tried Tripods and Triplanes with the proviso that the attackers knew nothing about the Martians; no idea about movement, weapons, or objectives. Todd felt that this would truly represent the first encounter against the Tripods. Todd controlled a Locust, BBob controlled a Squid while Craig flew a A-H Macchi M.5, John flew a German Albatros D.Va and I flew a Belgium Sopwith Camel. I had left my Fokker D.VIIs at home or I would have flown one of those. Three "building" markers and three "countryside" markers were placed on the Allied side of the table. Some, maybe all, of them were the Martian objectives.

Here I am closing one the Locust, with Craig is heading for the Squid. The Locust casts a mean shadow.

Name:	IMG_0459.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	277942

The Locust fires off his smoke generator in front of my airplane hoping I would fly through it. I did but took zero damage.

Name:	IMG_0460.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	277943

The Locust reaches one of the "building" markers and quickly stomps it to death. This cannot be good.

Name:	IMG_0461.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	277944

The Locust heads for another objective with me far behind. Craig is trying to kill the Squid from behind. I did get hit by a heat ray for 7 points of damage at some point in the game.

Name:	IMG_0462.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	277945

The Locust reaches the third building marker and stomps it flat too. The Locust crushed all three objectives. We did not stop any of the tripods, but none of our planes were shot down.

Name:	IMG_0463.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	277946

Without knowing what was going on in the game, I did not particularly care this scenario. Now that we know what the red edging on the bases means, be may stand a better change in the future. Apparently I destroyed one of the Locust's smoke generators and had knocked its energy level to 0, but was unable to capitalize on that advantage.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Is it me or has that Beagle changed sides ?! Maybe you need a kennel with a Daschund on top for the German side
    Looks like some fun games Robert, thanks for sharing the madness !

"He is wise who watches"

Did all those Red Triplanes have Snoopy confused, not knowing which was the real Red Baron?

That's a great Snoopy model, and the Great Pumpkin was inspired!

Thanks for posting!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Nice AAR! Really liked Snoopy on his doghouse!

Baltic Bob's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Bob
    Sorties Flown

Great pictures!

I think that Snoopy had a few too many root beers to take on 3 Fokker dr1s!

����

I guess Linus didn't see the Great Pumpkin this year. Great AARs! I enjoyed reading them. Rep incoming!

Quote Originally Posted by Baltic Bob View Post
    Great pictures!

I think that Snoopy had a few too many root beers to take on 3 Fokker dr1s!

����

The Snoopy model was hand-made by Baltic Bob just for the Great Pumpkin scenario. Looks even better in person.

It looks like you all had a good time. How about Snoopy versus the Tripods?

Thumbs up

Well Snoopy & the Pumpkin did not last long but I suppose a pumpkin tends to Explode when wacked my Spandau bullets.

Similar Missions

1. Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 3 Oct 2019
    By RJG173 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-05-2019, 08:43
  2. Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 1 Aug 2019
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2019, 10:39
  3. Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 11 July 2019
    Replies: 6