Ares Games

Thread: General Overview of how it will work

Default General Overview of how it will work

Knights of the Air World Wide campaign.

It will use my Knights of the Air campaign rules of course. Each gaming group that wants to play in the campaign will have to pick/assign one player as the Wing Commander. The WC will be the person in charge of running the campaign for his/her local group. They are also the person that will be reporting statistics and results to me. Each group will play the same missions as determined by the out come of all campaign games.

Each player will be responsible for inputting their stats into the Pilot log that will be found on this site. Here is what a brand new Pilot Log is going to look like…

This is what it will look like as you make entries into it…

This log will make it very easy for pilots to keep track of their stats and progress. It will also take car of all the math and stuff for them for accuracy. Each time a pilot enters stats into the log, they will be sent to their Wing Commander.

The Wing Commander will be responsible for verifying that the stats are correct. The WC will then enter in all verified stats into the Wing Commander Log. Here is what a fresh WCL will look like…

And after some entries…

How the results from the WCL are handles is still being worked out. They will either come to me for input into a final Log that outputs a table showing everyone’s standings. Or, they will automatically go into a Log that does the output.

So basically what will happen is we will have multiple gaming groups all playing the same missions by the same rules and the results of each group will factor in to the overall progression of the campaign.

For story line / Fluff sake

I envision groups in close geographical location will be assigned to a sector of the Front and broken down into squadrons and Jastas. Hopefully these groups will come up with unit insignias that I can use here on the forums (like the background images behind my user info when I post ß----) and on the campaign pages. In this way, we will be able to kind of re-play the entire air war of WWI

Foreseen Issues

Right now, the biggest issue I see a project like this having is just the logistics of getting all the groups to play the campaign and missions at the same time. My local group plays once a week, but I know others play only once every two weeks. I think we will have to allow two weeks time period for each mission to be played. This will make the campaign last longer, but should allow all groups to join in. The next biggest issue I see is getting everyone to enter their stats in a timely manner. This will be critical in keeping the campaign rolling along smoothly.

As always, I’m open to thoughts and opinions on how to make this come together nicely.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jody
    Sorties Flown

very nice. ambitious project but well worth trying imo. like all campaigns i suspect there will be some teething problems and challenges that pop up along the way, but with more thinkers on board these will be worked thru and sorted out.
    sign me up as Wing Commander for my local area

Yeah, it's a big project to take on. I think most of the teething issues with actually playing the campaign have been worked out with my local group. I'm sure that there will be issues though... it's all good as long as everyone has fun!

OK, a question.

How many people need there be to make up a group to take part in this?

There only has to be 4 people, two per side. The more the better of course though.

Great looking concept.

I will take on the role of WC for my patrol area

Glad to have you on board Grant! This section of the site will start filling out more as we get closer to being done with the backend of the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    There only has to be 4 people, two per side. The more the better of course though.
    OK, this sounds like fun! I'll see if I can round up some regular "takers" around here!

I have one good friend that is just getting into Wing of War, but he's on the WWII side at the moment. He's definately the "collector" type, and it may be just a matter of time before he breaks down and gets all of the WWI stuff as well.

If that happens, I know he'd love the chance to be the Wing Commander here!

Once I have the WWI WWC going well, I'll be starting on writing up a campaign system for WWII and that will lead in to a WWC for it as well.

Iron Squid

This all sounds great! Any WC's in Brisbane need another pilot?

This sounds like a great idea. I'm looking forward to the kick off... Put me down as a Wing Commander for my area (time to start drumming up some more players ).

Glad to see more people showing interest in this. I hired the coder last week to start working on the interfaces and database this campaign will need. I'm hoping he will have it done in a week or two. That should let me test it out thoroughly and get it implemented on the site and accessible for everyone else.

I'm also working on the last rounds of revisions to the campaign rules and redoing the missions so they are a little more clear on what is supposed to happen.

One thing I am thinking about, is when to actually start this thing. We are fast approaching the Holiday season for most of us, and that could cut in to the campaign pretty heavily. Any thoughts on this?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

There are always reasons to delay things but it may be that the season of receiving presents of a WoW kind might boost people's enthusiasm!

Why not start on the 1st of January? That should give more than enough time to get everything sorted. Not to mention get the new toys out on the board.

I agree, there are always reasons to delay things. One of the things I have to keep in mind is how much time I will have during the holiday season to run things. The first of the year sounds better to me each time I think about it... but we will not be getting any new Wings of War toys by then

Users Country Flag

Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Is it true??? No...new...toys???? Nooooooooooo!

Nope, nothing new before the Balloon Busters in January some time. Series 4 has been pushed back as well as Flight of Giants.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the update - it will save me disappointment at XMas. What about the little packs - biplanes and revolution etc? Sorry if this is answered elsewhere.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jody
    Sorties Flown

has Jan 1st been locked in to start the wwcampaign Keith? or waiting on new wow product to hit stores? im on summer holiday for 5 weeks and am thinking of geting my local group really humming in the new yr

Jody, I don't think it's going to kick off on the 1st. I'm still shooting for some time in January, but not sure if the coder is going to get his part of it done in time

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

Count me in Sir! Ill fly proud and straightish for the Motherland! When do we start? Ive got four (maybe 4 more) of us up for the gig. willing to try and meet once every two weeks.
    I do have a question though and im not sure if this has been answered already but what happens if one group completes the campaign before another group? lets say group A has a bunch of hot shots flying for Germany and they win everyfight according to what i read in your rules theyd be done in about 5 months. but Group B battles back and forth and takes 16 months to get a winner. how is that all balanced out?
    like I said i might have missed some of the fine print on this...

All the results from each group get funneled up to me and the over all out come is determined by how each group does. So, everyone all over the world will advance or fall back together.

count me in I am keen either to WC my area or join up with Kiwi-Ace's group if they'd have me.

Cheers
    GW

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

ok makes sense to me. of course it would suck if you belong to a club were the Germans keep winning but the rest of the world keeps lossing so youre forced to fall back.
    but that happened in real life too. You always have that one guy that cant change the world no matter how hard he trys.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Any updates to this wonderful idea Col. Hajj ??

I would like to put my hand up for the Australia side of things unless someone else wants to do it
    Last edited by Max von Clickenhoff; 02-22-2010 at 07:14.

The coding side for the site is complete. Going to be running though the last test runs here soon, but the last known bug has been fixed. I'm updating the KotA rule book to reflect some changes to it being a World Wide event.

Each group of players is going to need a Wing Commander to run the campaign in their local area as well as verify the stat entered on the site. So, depending on which local group you play with, there should be plenty of openings for Wing Commanders.

HendersonDayton

I am not sure if you are interested in a massive WOWA sponsored PBeM event using your KOTA campaign rules, but i think it would be an awesome game.

Having a campaign open to any or all of the WOWA users would be huge and pretty darn cool.
    Last edited by HendersonDayton; 05-21-2010 at 16:55.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark Duncan
    Sorties Flown

I have more than four people in my group that meets on Tuesday ? How do we get signed up ? I'll take on the job of Wing Commander and do all the neccessary reporting.
    We will be playing this Tuesday at Tabletop Games...

Hey Mark, I never got the world wide campaign kicked off and with all the new site software, I have to get the campaign pages working again

Mabon

Any update on if a kick off is coming?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark Duncan
    Sorties Flown

Let me know when you do, I'm supposed to have four new players adding in this week...

No official start date yet. The new site software kicked the crap out of the pages I already had coded, so I'll basically be starting from scratch on those. I'm also tweaking out the rules one more time as my local group plays through them right now.

Good to hear we are finally getting there Col. Now all I need is the time to fit it in.
    I think Stormkahn may voice his opinion if I don't since we have started trialing it already.
    I look forward to seeing the new amendments and giving them a try out too.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Yes, it is good news to hear. I know there are a few of us in the AZ that are very interested.

Cheers!

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by KiltedWolf View Post
    Yes, it is good news to hear. I know there are a few of us in the AZ that are very interested.

Cheers!
    Yes James...Colonel! I'll ask you, James, about this on Saturday.

Would it be acceptable for two people to play, at two planes each — one person flying Allied planes, the other for the Germans/Austrians?

Keegan, in my local group I do not let players fly more then one plane at a time. It gives to much advantage of using the two planes as a completely synced team. But then, I don't have a lack of players. While other local groups playing in the WWC flying multiple planes would most likely not effect the outcome of the overall campaign, the rate they get kills at (and become an Ace) could skew a little bit. I want all groups to be able to play, so I'll give this possible issue some thought and see what I can come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Keegan, in my local group I do not let players fly more then one plane at a time. It gives to much advantage of using the two planes as a completely synced team. But then, I don't have a lack of players. While other local groups playing in the WWC flying multiple planes would most likely not effect the outcome of the overall campaign, the rate they get kills at (and become an Ace) could skew a little bit. I want all groups to be able to play, so I'll give this possible issue some thought and see what I can come up with.
    Thanks for the reply. I asked only because I'm not sure I can wrangle up enough people on a regular basis to have a fully fledged 4 person group. I have at least 20+ planes, and plenty of table space, but I don't know enough people with the same fervor (locally) that would be interested in an ongoing campaign. I asked about two people because I have successfully converted my wife into a hard-core table top gamer, as she has now joined me in a successful 2 year RPG with friends that happens on Thursday nights. I'm sure she would be happy to join me every fortnight for a game of high flying aerial combat, but I can't say the same for my other gaming buddies. As to your suggestion that pilots flying multiple planes would lead to unfair tactics, it never even occured to me. Often, I get so caught up sending each plane against a different opponent that I never "double up" on a foe. All the same, I appreciate the purity of your gaming proposal and respect any decision mandating the participation of no less than four members to any given wing command.

Lugz

PS: I live in Philadelphia, so if there is anyone interested in driving to my house in West Philly, let me know; obviously I could use an extra wingman or two!

Hi Col Hajj,

What's the latest in this? I'm looking for some pilots in the Covina area that can play in this arena. BTW Keith I can't open the forms on your first posting. I haven't flown in a while and I'm inching to go up.
    And yes I'm still unpacking the house. :P

Frank.

Not really much to update right now. Origins put a big hold on just about everything. I'll be digging back into this here pretty soon. Any of the forms linked to earlier will no longer apply as they were not for V2 anyways.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Adam
    Sorties Flown

*Grabs his shute just in case*

Still no word of kicking this off .... cause I got a store willing to make space and help generate players for this

Unfortunately, no, not for the World Wide campaign. I'm finalizing the 2.0 rules with my local group and then we have to polish up the rule book and publish it here on the site. The work on the KotA site is still in the works as well. It's a huge project and I've not been able to devote as much time to it as I would have liked. The KotA rules are up in the files section and are quite playable (as many groups will tell you). That would still be a good campaign to run at your local store to players to actually play on a regular basis.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Adam
    Sorties Flown

Well Sir .... Flight Officer Bestia reporting for duty

Let me know what I can do to help .... Done a number of hours playtest, both computer games as well as fan written mods for a certain tabletop game that involves a Hammer, War and a 40k resister

I also have a basic knowledge of coding ... (and google as a reference if I get to stuck)

Thanks for the offer to help. The next big step that I will need help on is the publishing part. I need someone with some desktop publishing skills and software.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Adam
    Sorties Flown

Hmm .... Let me radio the future and see if the guy who did a whole heap of work on Killzone can help