Ares Games

Thread: Fresh from the Cylinder

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Default Fresh from the Cylinder

The premise of the game was three freshly-emerged tripods standing by their cylinder, preparing to move off and wreak a little havoc among the Earthlings, but as numbers were somewhat light at our gaming session (there were only six of us) I only ran two Locusts. The cylinder had landed in the middle of the table, and opponents were coming in from all sides. The Martians spent the first two turns standing by the open end of the interplanetary Uber, waiting for the enemy to approach within combat range...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2276.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	277907

On the third turn, they turned in opposite directcions to take on their foes - both deployed Black Smoke to stymie the Earthlings and take them down a notch or two...the right-hand Locust's BS managed to hit both planes on his side...

Name:	IMG_2277.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	277908

While the left tripod moved down the left side of the cylinder, the right one gained some distance between himself and the cylinder. He needed some room between himself and his opponents to use his weapons again...

Name:	IMG_2278.jpg 
Size:	179.0 KB 
ID:	277909

The left tripod's pilot had already been wounded a couple of turns before - as he turned to face his opponent to use his vaunted Heat-Ray the next maneuver phase, he received the second hit to his pilot, ending his attempted conquest of the Third Planet...

Name:	IMG_2279.jpg 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	277910

...fairly little damage but vanquished nonetheless.

Name:	IMG_2280.jpg 
Size:	206.9 KB 
ID:	277911

The remaining tripod deployed Black Smoke again, trying to seriously damage the Pfalz, while the Nieuport closed in on the 'pod's unshielded side...

Name:	IMG_2281.jpg 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	277912

Between the Pfalz and the Nieuport, they managed to take down the second tripod in fairly short order. Certainly shorter than I had imagined...

Name:	IMG_2282.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	277913

As we were using my embryonic cylinder, I wanted there to be some sort of house rule about the 'pods recharging energy in close proximity to the cylinder. So if they were within a close-range distance of the cylinder, I had them recharge one energy cube without having to play the Recharge Action Card - they still had to be Standing Still and not doing any other action. I think, however, that when we play again, I will increase that recharge option to include Moving, as the Proximity Recharge didn't work the way I was wanting it to - again, no other action can be taken, but moving along near the cylinder should up the opportunities for powering up the tripods.

After the game, we talked about a potential other house rule option for the cylinder; I would like flying over the cylinder to somehow affect airplanes. The concept of an energy field surrounding the tube off which the Martians can leach power might have an effect on traditional engineering, perhaps something like an EMP where it causes the plane to Stall on its next maneuver card (and every subsequent card it's above the cylinder). We shall try some sort of detriment next time we use the cylinder in a game...

Even though the Martians were fairly ineffective, it was a fun game - now to get cracking on finishing up the cylinder!

All the best,
    Matt
    Last edited by matt56; 11-10-2019 at 02:56.

Great game! Can't wait to see your finished cylinder!

The reason why the Martians failed was the unfinished cylinder. Imagine their embarassment upon landing and emerging from just a shipping tube.

As long as the main ingredient of fun was presentit's all good!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    The reason why the Martians failed was the unfinished cylinder. Imagine their embarassment upon landing and emerging from just a shipping tube.

It could have been worse. Like a toilet roll tube.

Great looking game Matt, they were gaseous critters weren't they - looked more like interplanetary Amazon rather than Uber though !

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post

Some interesting ideas there Matt.
    I must get my cylinder unscrewed soon.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

The cylinder is a good idea. Please publish a photograph when you have finished it. Would a piece of grey plastic drainpipe be good for making one?

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Thanks, David - I will post more as things progress. The drain pipe idea is a good one - I originally planned to use a 4-inch white plastic/PVC pipe, but cutting the cardboard one was much easier. I may still use the PVC pipe at a later date...

All the best,
    Matt

Similar Missions

1. Fresh meat!
    By Walker28361 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-18-2014, 01:03
  2. Fresh in today....
    By Strangely Brown in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-03-2012, 16:04
  3. WSF Factory Fresh - DH.2 and FE.2b