Ares Games

Thread: Hello, newbie played at Rock-Con back in October

Default Hello, newbie played at Rock-Con back in October

Hi folks,

I played a few games at Rock-Con that Michael & Tim put on in Rockford, IL a few weeks ago. I was the guy that was running the Thunder Alley tournaments. I really enjoyed the WOG games with the cool miniature airplanes. I plan on getting into this but I'm not sure where exactly to start? I have more interest in WW2 but I'm open to WW1 as well if that is the better game. I haven't spent any money yet but I'm interested in buying some miniatures/starter sets (packs of 4 planes) and some game mats.

I'd like to jump in with at least 10 planes to start and a few scenarios I could play with my parents, and my sisters and their kids. Any advice on which way to go? WW1 or WW2?

Thanks again to Michael & Tim for running the games a few weeks back. Also, a shout out to Bob, Beth, Aaron, and John it was fun gaming with you all too. I look forward to gaming with you all in the future.

-Chris

Hi Chris and welcome. If I were you I would try to get a couple of the WWI duel packs and an Re8 plus a Rumpler. That gives you a few WWI scenarios. I would also buy a Battle of Britain WWII set which gives you 2 109's and 2 Spitfires. That gives you 10 planes for both conflicts and all the rules.

On behalf of the pilots and Squadrons based over here in Dear old Blighty welcome to the Drome Chris.
    You will get plenty of advice from the chaps once they get back from early morning patrol.
    See you in the Mess.
    Until then fly safe and watch tour six.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Default Welcome

Hi Chris and welcome to the 'Drome' from over here in a very wet West Yorkshire in the UK. Enjoy the game and this site where there is so much you can learn. Fly safe and always watch your six!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Glad you found your way here, Chris! Check out the Aerodrome Store icon at the top of the page - Keith has plenty of things to get you started in the game...

Hope you find this Forum as much fun as I have over the last few years - there are lots of great folks here, along with tons of useful information.

All the best,
    Matt

(welcoming head bobs) from the lizard here on the east coast.

Gary's advice is excellent: but in addition, if you can find one (you *might* have to haunt the secondary markets by now), find a Rules and Accessory Pack-complete rules, damage decks, miscellaneous markers, etc.

See Clipper's list ( https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...292#post515292 ) for a wide range of minis.
    Check the files section for non-"official" planes, house rules, differing scenarios, DYO campaigns, etc, etc, etc.

Welcome Chris. Lucky for you today the Rules and Accessory Pack-complete rules, damage decks, miscellaneous markers, etc. is on sale at Amazon $24.97 (great price)!

Another warm welcome from Blighty Chris, this one from the South West of the country. As above, a trip to the Aerodrome Store (Link above) should get you started - from there on in its the long slippery slope Hope you have plenty of storage room

Enjoy

Welcome to an awesome community! Wings of Glory is an extremely fun game!

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Hi Chris and welcome. If I were you I would try to get a couple of the WWI duel packs and an Re8 plus a Rumpler. That gives you a few WWI scenarios. I would also buy a Battle of Britain WWII set which gives you 2 109's and 2 Spitfires. That gives you 10 planes for both conflicts and all the rules.
    Gary thank you for the recommendation. I'm tempted to jump right in on both Wars, but I'm not sure I want to fork out all that dough to start,

I might just focus on one over the other first, hummm

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdre View Post
    Welcome Chris. Lucky for you today the Rules and Accessory Pack-complete rules, damage decks, miscellaneous markers, etc. is on sale at Amazon $24.97 (great price)!
    Hi Paul, thank you for the recommendation. Where do you see that at?

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and recommendations.

-Raider

Go to Amazon and search Wings of Glory and it should list with other Wings of Glory items. Be warned that rabbit hole can be slippery!

I see it thank you! It comes with 4 miniatures to start then right?

Thanks! Just purchased the Wings of Glory: WW1 Rules and Accessories Pack. Should arrive next week, I'm stoked!

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    I see it thank you! It comes with 4 miniatures to start then right?
    Unfortunately it is just rules, cards, and tokens in the box. Which you need in order to play. No pretty planes. Unlike the Sails of Glory starter which does have 4 ship miniatures included.

Okay got it no problem. I will look into getting the planes, now...cha-ching...

Hi Chris
    Welcome to the Aerodrome.

Before you go crazy buying planes, check with me. I have extra WWI planes and an accessories pack .

Get up to my place for some gaming and you can look at everything I have to buy. I sell them for what I paid and not what ebay or others are selling for. Plus it will make Beth happy that I'm getting rid of some over stock.
    Last edited by BBSuds; 11-07-2019 at 10:58.

Hi Captain Bob!....ahem....Bob,

Okay I'll hold off. So that begs the next question. Any future dates/times that you have in mind to play another one of these? I'm anxious to play and to see what you are willing to part with.

Pick a Saturday to come over and I will set up a Wings game. We start around 1pm and go until 11pm.

I will send you my phone # and we can talk.

Welcome to the 'Drome!

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Chris, from here 'across The Pond' in the United Kingdom.

Ein herzliches Willkommen, Chris!
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Welcome to the 'Drome, Chris!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Welcome. Turn back now!

lol, silly advice from another n00b named Chris. Somehow I'm up to 25 planes, 4 mats, 2 copies of Rules/Acc, a duel pack, and Game Plus storage. We can paratroop together. You go first.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Welcome. Turn back now!

lol, silly advice from another n00b named Chris. Somehow I'm up to 25 planes, 4 mats, 2 copies of Rules/Acc, a duel pack, and Game Plus storage. We can paratroop together. You go first.
    Hah! Awesome Chris! Where did you purchase most of the gear?

Quote Originally Posted by BBSuds View Post
    Pick a Saturday to come over and I will set up a Wings game. We start around 1pm and go until 11pm.

I will send you my phone # and we can talk.
    Bob, I'll get a hold of you soon. I could possibly do tomorrow, not sure if that is too short notice for you, and not sure that I will be able to stay until 11 though. Otherwise maybe next weekend or sometime in December. Either way let's talk soon.

-Chris

Welcome to the Aerodrome, from here in Virginia! Hope you have a fun time during your flight on this website!

Hah! Awesome Chris! Where did you purchase most of the gear?
    Amazon and miniature market about equally, then I discovered this place and keep adding.

That's too short of notice. I need a week or 2 notice to plan a big WOG game. We are board gaming tomorrow with 6 to 8 players, starting at 1:00pm.

Bob

Welcome. Turn back now!

As another new Chris who also dived right in, welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BBSuds View Post
    That's too short of notice. I need a week or 2 notice to plan a big WOG game. We are board gaming tomorrow with 6 to 8 players, starting at 1:00pm.

Bob
    Okay. A weekend in December would probably work for me. I'll call you later tonight.
    What are you guys playing tomorrow?

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by driph View Post
    As another new Chris who also dived right in, welcome!
    Kentucky Chris, Illinois Chris, and now Nevada Chris. Cheers!

We're forming our own squadron! Life expectancy = 4 hours.

Kentucky Chris, Illinois Chris, and now Nevada Chris. Cheers!
    FYI, Kentucky Chris is originally from Illinois.

FYI, Kentucky Chris is originally from Illinois.
    Oh an expat,

welcome to the drome Chris!!! personally, i prefer ww1 as its gameplay flows a bit smoother. as for minis, i suggest getting pretty much any mini you can get your hands on as theyre quite addicting. availability cab be an issue at times so you might want to get the various minis when you see them.

Chris welcome to the Forum. Glad you had a great time at Rock-Con. I have heard nothing but great things about the event. Next June you should try an expedition over to Columbus for Origins. With it being a lend lease year it should be a great time. If not that head to GenCon in Indy next August. Last year Matt and I had a great time running games. We would love to see you at either.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

Well, hello Chris!!! And welcome to the Aerodrome, and the Illinois Squadron!!! I'm glad to have met you at Rock-Con, and glad you had a good time flying in Mike and my games!!! Hope to fly more with you in the near future!!! Oh, by the way, I had a great time with your game as well, and based on our talk afterwards, I am a proud owner of a Grand Prix game, the F1 version of Thunder Alley!!! I love conventions!!!

Tim,

Yes it was great to meet you and play in the game you hosted! I look forward to coming back to Rock-Con next year and gaming with you again in the near future. That's awesome that you picked up Grand Prix. One of my buddies has it and I played it once and I did enjoy it. I'm trying to talk another buddy into coming up to Rock-Con next year and maybe hosting a Championship Formula Racing tourney as he loves that game. Talk to you soon, I've got planes to buy!!! Haha

Hey Chris!!! Go to the sales/classified section, and check out Clippers List, post #360. Dave has a bunch of goodies for sale at good prices!!!

Welcome to the drome, Chris! Glad you enjoyed the scenarios at Rock con. Hope to game with you soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Beer&pretzels View Post
    Welcome to the drome, Chris! Glad you enjoyed the scenarios at Rock con. Hope to game with you soon!
    Hi Michael, it was great playing WOG with you at Bob and Beth's a few weeks back. Just wanted to check in with you and see if you are still planning on hosting WOG games on the 29th of this month. My schedule opened up and now I'm available so hopefully the offer stills stands? I also have a friend who is interested in coming as well.

Btw, I tried to PM you on here but your mailbox is full.

-Chris

Hi Chris, Yes it is still on. Bring your friend, the more the merrier.

Mike

Similar Missions

1. Illinois: Rock Con
    By Beer&pretzels in forum US Wing
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 01-28-2019, 14:53
  2. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-01-2019, 16:33
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-15-2018, 18:38
  4. Illinois: Rock-Con
    By degodave in forum US Wing