Ares Games

Thread: Plane sizes.

Default Plane sizes.

It's only since buying the mini's have I realized what a big difference there was in fighter sizes. The biggest shock was the SE5a. I always thought it was a beast of a plane and a fair bit bigger than other fighters. How wrong I was. I also never realized how big the Alb's were. I knew the Dr1 was a small plane but not as small as it was compared to the others. Also I thought the Camel was plane of the smaller allied planes which it isn't (most likely due to seeing pic's of it fighting Alb's).

Gives visual support to those stats one sees, like 26x20 feet.

Wait until you see some of the fighters up against a Gotha or an HP 0/400!

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Wait until you see some of the fighters up against a Gotha or an HP 0/400!
    I am practically drooling to get my hands on couple of big bomber kits... gotta wait for the cash flow to ebb back!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I dread how long it might take WoW to produce a model with a 77 foot wingspan. Just imaging the packaging... and the price. I hope they focus on the scouts.

Which is not to say that a 1:144 model, stand, and cards for about $12 is unfair at all, even in plastic.

I was a bit surprised when unpacking my first deluxe edition and finding the Spad somewhat smaller than the Albatros. I always had it in mind as something huge and bulky...

Quick comparisons:

wingspan feet-inches x length feet-inches

SE5a 26-7 x 20-11
    Camel 26-11 x 18-9
    Spad 7 25-8 x 19-11
    Spad 13 27-1 x 20-6
    N-17 26-9 x 19-0
    Alb D3 29-6 x 24-0
    D5 29-8 x 24-1
    Dr1 23-7 c 18-11

Albi were big birds for the time...

Wait until you go up against a Zep! 4 feet long in this scale!

At this rate, I'm grateful that WoW is unlikely to get into modern air-combat and something a prof and I designed will never be built... Project Infiltrator would have yielded a stealth Single Stage To Orbit aircraft 415' long, 400' span and 35' tall, most of its height actually being from the wingtips.

As for a 4'-OAL mini Zeppelin, sounds fun--actually, I'm looking for blueprints to build one! But, if I were Nexus/FFG, and planning an official release, I'd ship it "Some Assembly Required", maybe design a collapsible frame with a separate fabric skin to slide over it. Of course, it needs its own Core Game Box and a few fighters co-bundled... preferably with "generic paint" minis, decal markings for individual planes and Zeps, and at least two distinct box-sets.

It would be nice to have E336 to spend on it. Guess I'll just have to use those plans from the files and make my own.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

For the bombers I have a feeling getting the Skytrex models is going to be the best you can do for a while.

The Zepplins would be EASY to make out of foam with a foam cutter. Laminate a few pieces of pink or blue closed cell foam insulation from Home Depot and cut the profile out with a hot wire foam cutter. Make the structures out of foamcore or plastic sheet. I would imagine the base would be HUGE and the game board would have to be enormous.

Almost tempting enough for me to make one.... Hrm... John, are there any rules for them? I might be able to bring one in a few weeks.

Zach

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    Awww man... this Zepp would be sweet to have!
    http://www.modelimex.com/ShowProduct...CategoryID=299
    John

Have you had a look at the Skytrex Zeppelin? Made of expanded foam rather than resin so probably a lot more robust - but probably approximately the same size.

Yes, I have seen the Skytrex Zepp as well. Either way, they are both realistically beyond my price range, as well as my storage capacity. Those babies are long!

Similar Missions

1. Plane Cards
    By Anav in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-15-2010, 14:12
  2. Problem with a plane
    By Adragan in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-08-2010, 23:44
  3. Best WWI plane
    By Air Battle Mgr in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 13