Ares Games

Thread: Which Tripod is your favourite?

Default Which Tripod is your favourite?

Hi all,

I now have one of each of the tripods and I have spent a bit of time with all of them and was wondering if you guys had a favourite tripod you liked the design or playstyle of in particular?

For me I usually try to run with the Mk.IV Cuttlefish as the model is great and intimidating. That and I love the heavy heat ray, the HUGE range is always fun to place on the board.

My thoughts on them are as follows.
    Mk.I Tripod "Locust" -A good basic tripod with a decent amount of health and energy. It looks great with an almost steampunk appearance.
    Mk.II Tripod "Scarab" -Lives for a decent amount of time due to the high health but can really suffer if the smoke generator gets destroyed due to only having one heat ray emitter, of which the weapon and shield configuration is really interesting.
    Mk.III Tripod "Squid" -For me the weakest of the bunch. This tripod really suffers from having a tiny pool of energy. I found myself being constantly starved of power and it can be tricky having the rear shielded when going for objectives. I am not really sure on what the role of this tripod is.
    Mk.IV Tripod "Cuttlefish" -A souped up Locust and the nastiest one with no real weaknesses. This is what I expect of a tripod! The heavy heat ray in the middle is great

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	277505
    Last edited by william1134; 11-01-2019 at 02:47.

So far I've only played with the Locust and Scarab (and need to pick up a Squid and Cuttlefish), but visually my favorite is probably the Locust, with the Cuttlefish a close second. They each seem to feel closest to the original fighting machines. Wonder if a future wave will introduce tripods with baskets, or have red weed play more of a role?

What I'd love to know is what the internal reasoning was for the Cuttlefish's strange maneuver card allotment. Sure, it may have been a misprint that was retconned into narrative, but what's the story? Martian rotaries?

At this stage I haven’t played enough to have a favourite. Visually the Cuttlefish is the most impressive of the four (IMHO)!

I have only played 1 game so far. It was WWI and I flew against the Locust. I have all the Tripods and all seem to have some advantage. You mentioned the SQUID being the weakest but it is most nimble. You can change facing in any direction. The SCARAB is like a tank but only 1 heat ray. The other 2 as described.
    Last edited by BobP; 11-01-2019 at 14:42.

I have only used the squid once and although it is nimble it didn't seem to matter as in the games we have played so far the sky is swarming with planes. Maybe it's better in much smaller games. Also in tripod games there is always an objective to go for and having no Shields in the rear is quite dangerou and leaves you vulnerable when heading towards them. Also having heat rays everywhere is fine but the small pool of energy makes it rare that you have spare energy for offence.. just not sure on the squids niche just yet. Hmmmm

Peter is running a WWII game at FALL IN and I think I will play a Tripod. Don't know what Tripod will be in play so have to adapt to whichever one I get. Should be fun and looking forward to it.

Similar Missions

1. Tripod vs Tripod
    By BobP in forum T&T: Rules Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2019, 16:14
  2. Pimp your Tripod.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum T&T: General Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-27-2019, 02:38
  3. The first Tripod encounters
    By BwanaJoe in forum T&T: After Action Reports
    Replies: 3