Ares Games

Thread: OTTDYM Mission 11 - Hoisted By His Own Petard - March the 19th 1916 - Kyte

Default OTTDYM Mission 11 - Hoisted By His Own Petard - March the 19th 1916 - Kyte

HOIST WITH HIS OWN PETARD.

Preamble. Naval Mines in WWI.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HMS_Aurora_(1913)_mines_closeup_WWI_IWM_SP_001196.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	277331

HMS Aurora in 1913.

During the initial period of World War I, the Royal Navy used contact mines in the English Channel and later in large areas of the North Sea to hinder patrols by German submarines. Later, the American antenna mine was widely used because submarines could be at any depth from the surface to the seabed. This type of mine had a copper wire attached to a buoy that floated above the explosive charge which was weighted to the seabed with a steel cable. If a steel hull touched the copper wire, the slight voltage change caused by contact between two dissimilar metals was amplified
    and detonated the explosives.

Influence mines.

First used during WWI, their use became more general in WWII.
    These mines are triggered by the influence of a ship or submarine, rather than direct contact. Such mines incorporate
    electronic sensors designed to detect the presence of a vessel and detonate when it comes within the blast range of the warhead. The fuses on such mines may incorporate one or more of the following sensors: magnetic, passive acoustic or water pressure displacement caused by the proximity of a vessel.

The Setting.

One of your scientists and his Engineer were testin a new Top secret form of Naval mine which he had developed. To trial the mine they were laying it from a Boat disguised as a fishing vessel off a small uninhabited Island somewhere just outside the territorial waters of the Dutch/German coast?
    As the mine sank disaster struck. There was a terrible explosion.

Name:	Navy-practice-mine-031213-N-5319A-010.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	277332

The boat was wrecked men died, an the ship sank. As she went down only three men survived. The radio operator who continued to send S.O.S. messages until the waters closed over his head and the Scientist and his engineer who being on deck were shielded from the blast, which threw them overboard, and they managed to get ashore by hanging on to a large piece of wreckage and dog paddling it to the shore.
    The S.O.S. message had been picked up by both sides and it was not long before the espionage networks of both had established what had happened.
    The race was now on to( Repatriate/capture) depend on your outlook Chaps, the scientist and his engineer before the enemy does.

The table set up.

Name:	IMG_8370.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	277333

Both groups of protagonists will enter and exit in any order of your choice and from either one of the red X positions chosen at random for both sides. Each aircraft will enter in single file from that spot in successive cards played and at a height of your choosing. You may field as many aircraft as you wish of any type available at this period, with this exception. In order to pick up the two civilians two of your aircraft must be two seaters with only a pilot aboard. Because of the isolated position of the Islands, Scouts will only be able to dwell over them for six turns before having to return to base to refuel. Two seaters are carrying an extra tank of fuel so they will not be restricted in this way.

The Landing Ground.

As it is low tide there is a stretch of sandy beach on which aircraft may put down. Use the normal landing and take off rules for this. Only one aircraft has room to land and take off at a time although one may be making an approach as the other taxis off if you can arrange it. Any collisions at this juncture are terminal. If the runway is blocked by debris, you can all pack up and go home. The Navy will then have to send in a submarine to do the job for you. The Senior Service will never let you live this down, so don't make a muck up of it chaps.
    The runway is 25cm long by 7cm wide. Should you be there after turn ten the tide will start to advance at the rate of !0 mm both lengthwise and width wise per three card turn.

NB. The item I used for the sandy beach was a strip of Glasspaper cut to shape. You need not field the offshore islets. I just popped them in for the aesthetics. I am not expecting anyone to cut up their coastline mat for this purpose. Just ensure that your sea area is the size of two regular games mats with your coastline one, or facsimile of one, tucked up into the corner and of the standard length and width of a mat.

Let's get those chaps home!

There is no draw in this game unless both sides fail. Bag the scientist and his engineer to win, fail and you lose.

Rob.
    Last edited by flash; 10-28-2019 at 08:11. Reason: Title adjust
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Aha - now I understand your 'teaser' photograph of a few days ago.

This looks interesting. Been a while since we had an extraction mission.
    I hope I can remember how to land ....

That's assuming that I get to play this one before the New Year.
    I have rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder scheduled for the 11th that will have me under MO orders for 6 to 8 weeks.
    An appropriate date, to be sure ...

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    HOIST WITH HIS OWN PETARD.
    The runway is 25cm long by 7cm wide. Should you be there after turn ten the tide will start to advance at the rate of !0 mm both lengthwise and width wise per three card turn.
    Was this meant to be 10mm, i.e., 1 cm?

I think 7cm looks about right to land a two-seater on, Sam.
    Just over a card length wide.

No, no, I meant the rate of tide flow-listed at !0

Oh, and for that matter, should the 'wide' portion be 5mm from each side, or should we jsut make it easy on ourselves, and assume the tide is flowing over one side of the beach?

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Was this meant to be 10mm, i.e., 1 cm?
    Yes Sam. It advances that much each three cards from each end and from the sea side. If your aircraft have taken that long to do the job you get everything you deserve.

That's assuming that I get to play this one before the New Year.
    I have rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder scheduled for the 11th that will have me under MO orders for 6 to 8 weeks.
    An appropriate date, to be sure ...
    Best of luck with that one Pete - look forward to a successful outcome report

Thanks Rob - great looking mission

Nice one Rob, that's something quite different

"He is wise who watches"

Could well be Uncle. It is open to many interpretations if you read between the lines!
    Kyte.

Smile

Will look forward to that one Rob once I catch up on 9 & 10!

Still got to do those myself Baz, and need a clear week to get them done.
    Rob.

WoG rules (2014) p.18 & 19 cover it

Landing:
    The plane must be at altitude of level 1.
    It must then execute the following three manoeuvres in order:
    First a dive, discard all climb markers, if the centre of the airplane base is in the landing area the plane then it touches the ground.
    Remove the stand but leave the model on it's base. If the centre of the base is outside the landing area the airplane crashes into the ground and is eliminated.
    Second a straight,
    Third and finally a stall and the airplane has landed. At this point movement for the airplane has ended, even if there would be more phases: Any manoeuvre planned after the stall is just for bluffing and will not be executed. (Though maybe you can swing it round)

Takeoff:
    The plane must start with the centre of its base inside the landing area. It must then execute the following three manoeuvres in order:
    First a stall,
    Second a straight (it is still on the ground at this point),
    Third & finally a climb (the airplane is now flying at level 1 without climb counters - insert a stand under the model).

If the player wants to start taking off in the second or third phase, just play one or two non-stall manoeuvres before the stall, and ignore them when
    they should be executed: The plane will complete the takeoff sequence next turn. If the plane has the centre of its base inside the airfield and wants to
    pretend to take off without doing it (the plane has the engine on but it stays in the same place) just plan three non-stall cards: The plane can’t be
    moved or turned that turn.

Crashes:
    If a grounded airplane ends with the centre of it's base out of the landing field while it is taking off (after the stall or the straight) or landing (after the dive, the straight or the stall), it crashes. It takes 2 A damage cards if it happens with the stall, or, 3 A cards if after the straight.
    The airplane is still considered to be on the ground and must remain immobile for the rest of this turn and the next turn.
    After the end of the next turn, if not destroyed, it can be moved or turned and may start a new takeoff if it can get back inside the airfield

In crashes only damage points, fire and explosion are counted all other special damage is ignored.

More info regarding ground moves, shooting and fire is on page 19.

"He is wise who watches"

Rob, the rules suggest at least 27cm x 9 cm for landing strips, were the 25x7cm dimensions just those that fitted your mat or a deliberate ploy to make it a tight fit ?

"He is wise who watches"

Definitely not a lot of margin for error.

A perfect touchdown gives maybe 5cm to spare at the end of the runway.
    If the tide comes in you will be toast.

It will be especially tricky to take off and get out of the way of the next aircraft trying to land.

And that's without enemy aircraft shooting at you ....

Or enemy aircraft trying to land their own two seaters to capture the scientists Pete.
    Calls for some good AI management.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Rob, the rules suggest at least 27cm x 9 cm for landing strips, were the 25x7cm dimensions just those that fitted your mat or a deliberate ploy to make it a tight fit ?
    I felt that a beach would not be as ideal as an airstrip, and tricky landings sort out the sheep from the goats in your squadrons. Having to perform this twice is a real test of skill. However, as is usual in my scenarios anyone who don't feel up to the mark may vary the circumstances to fit their abilities.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    l. However, as is usual in my scenarios anyone who don't feel up to the mark may vary the circumstances to fit their abilities.
    Rob.

That's thrown down the gauntlet, we'll all be washed up on the beach.

When I did my scenario one of the possible options I looked at was a landing to pick up a spy but I couldn't see how to make it much more complex and therefore interesting, you've done that in spades, looking forward to this one.

I'm not entirely clear that if using AI to get the opposition planes to land you are going to line them up, and also stop a suicide landing when there is another plane already on the ground. However I'm sure with a little imagination we can achieve that.

I don't have my rules with me but the official size of field was large and relativly easy to land on, I was going to go smaller, would need to see my calculations as to how small but it gives more of a challenge. Also mostly we are flying slow machines, BE2's will be King in this scenario Unless they still get shot down easily.

Nice one Rob

What John said - especially re the BE2s. About to play this one so wish me luck

Name:	Island model scene 2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	247.9 KB 
ID:	277412

The landing strip is almost exactly 25cm long and mostly just a fraction wider than 7cm. I just hope the two scientists get out of the b****y way in time

You have to be creative with AI if it is going to be a precision requirement such as Bombing or landing. Just be as fair as you can. I always play AI in difficult situations by saying if they were my lads what would they do and then let them do that for a key move like landing where you must get them in the best position.
    Mainly I like to promulgate a situation and then stand back and watch the fun, you lads can be so creative in your solutions.
    When I was looking at the idea, I read the scenario and how loosely the wording could be interpreted to produce your required results.
    You would be astounded at how many answers there are to this none of which include flying over in a Bomber and getting the scientists off in one lift. I will say more on the subject of landing aircraft after you have all tried the scenario, but something which we have never, to my knowledge, discussed came up.

Rob.

I totally missed that both sides were going to be competing for the pickup.
    I had assumed our side was doing the extraction and the enemy were trying to prevent it.
    I just booked Friday off to get this one flown before my upcoming surgery.
    Gives me a couple of days to get my head around it ...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    What John said - especially re the BE2s. About to play this one so wish me luck

Name:	Island model scene 2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	247.9 KB 
ID:	277412

The landing strip is almost exactly 25cm long and mostly just a fraction wider than 7cm. I just hope the two scientists get out of the b****y way in time
    You utter bounder, you've stolen my paper buildings but what fabulous scenery, now I really am envious of that.

Really looking forward to reading your story.

Rob that's very intriguing

Pete you are going through the wars with the eyes and shoulder, hope the operation is a complete success but at least you got your priorities right getting the game in first

Final adjustments being made. Still got to put the decals on one aircraft and wait while the glue dries on the ball bearing. Mmmmmm Fly this tomorrow now - still musing on how to do this justice

Name:	Island model scene 4.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	277416

The mainland shoreline and the lighthouse mark the boundaries of play, along with a couple of white surf markers. I took it as a 98cm shoreline and 136cm distance from shoreline to light house, with the island more or less in the centre but offset to allow for the fifferent angles of approach. Hope this meets with your approval Rob.

That gaming area already does us proud Mike.
    I look forward to reading your AAR.
    Rob.

Final adjustments being made. Still got to put the decals on one aircraft and wait while the glue dries on the ball bearing. Mmmmmm Fly this tomorrow now - still musing on how to do this justice

Name:	Island model scene 4.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	277416

The mainland shoreline and the lighthouse mark the boundaries of play, along with a couple of white surf markers. I took it as a 98cm shoreline and 136cm distance from shoreline to light house, with the island more or less in the centre but offset to allow for the fifferent angles of approach. Hope this meets with your approval Rob.
    Mike I am so impressed with your scenery I tried and failed to give you Rep for it in advance of the game report. Just thought I should say so.

I am looking for a sea mat for my Sails games, the one I have is a bit shiney and reflects the light in the photos, yours looks very nice, who's the manufacturer?

Its a cloth mat John and came from Tinywargames "https://www.tinywargames.co.uk/mats". If I remember correctly, at the time I purchased this one, they produced just two styles; one Pacific and another Atlantic. Mine is the latter. Now they produce them in a range of colours from Bright blue through to dark grey. Thanks for the thought re rep John. Appreciated

Another delay to the start I'm afraid (Although all aircraft are now ready for take off) - daughter now in hospital for a check up - nothing serious we believe, but grandparent duties are about to take over again

Watch this space. Just got time to read number 10 from Baz

Aaah - no I haven't - later then

A question please Am I permitted to use a floatplane for one side?

Doesn't that kinda take away from the perilous landing ground aspect of the game ?
    Maybe if it's too rough to land a float plane other than in a sheltered bay/lagoon of the requisite size with the same chances/consequences it would be acceptable - though it does give you two landing grounds and a potential of simultaneous landings.

"He is wise who watches"

My wording was deliberately specific chaps. Any aircraft which was active during the time frame.
    I was intending to do this myself after you all had made your attempts, but now owing to Mike thinking along those lines I expect everyone will want to use a Float plane, so I expect I'll have to use my submarine after all!
    Rob.

Sorry, didn't mean to set the cat amongst the pigeons so to speak

No problem Mike.
    I love to see pilots thinking outside my particular box, otherwise we would just be reading a load of cloned AARs. You chaps always come up with some novel ideas and plot lines for your characters. to me the winners and losers don't mean a jot. It his the way your story line unfolds that I look for.
    Rob.

A question please Am I permitted to use a floatplane for one side?
    Its funny you should mention that, I had the same idea, I've been looking at the Felixtowe, plenty of space to get the 2 chappies into it and they had some amazing colour schemes. I also thought of sending a small boat, a trawler or something with AA guns to keep the bally enemy planes away. Although I kept coming back to the brief and I quote "You may field as many aircraft as you wish of any type available at this period, with this exception. In order to pick up the two civilians two of your aircraft must be two seaters with only a pilot aboard." Which sort of seemed a bit specific. Anyway I didn't want to buy a plane for this game but I was going to look at what 2 seat float planes we had and maybe blutac floats to one of my existing planes.
    Some how We need to avoid us and them landing at the same time, mind you I have an idea how to do that

Mike and Rob:

You can use your float planes as long as you follow the rules of the scenario and land on the strip of sand ...

You can use your float planes as long as you follow the rules of the scenario and land on the strip of sand ...
    Very droll Pete. The "rules" describe the landing strip very clearly. They do not state you have to use it

Got me there, Mike.

I guess I gotta learn to read more closely ...
    As it is low tide there is a stretch of sandy beach on which aircraft may put down...

Apologies Pete, that really wasn't meant as a challenge. I should choose my words more carefully

I am not always good with rules I know. For me, the missions are there to be played around with as a means of writing my AARs, so I'm happy to adapt the game to fit the story, rather than the other way around. That approach just happens to interest me more and I know it doesn't meet with everyones approval. This mission in particular has got me thinking in terms of all sorts of crazy possibilities; more as the scenario progresses. There are a few little problems that need resolving to make it all work out sensibly. Having a floatplane just happened to resolve one of those for me Not having to land on a clearly defined strip of sand is another. That just leaves one or two more that I have to find a way around Well done Rob - a nice scenario indeed Going to take longer than expected I believe

No apologies necessary, Mike.
    It was all there to be read, and I missed it.

Not that I have a float plane to use anyway ...

Too bad you let the cat out of the bag - would have been a great twist to the rest of us.
    It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission ..

8 turns down - hoping to finish it Saturday morning.
    "There was no wrecks and nobody drownded - fact nuthin' to laugh at at all..."*

At least, not yet ...

* (credit to Marriott Edgar)

I just love it when a plane comes together!

Rob.

(There goes that darned predictive text again)

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    ...It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission ..
    Not in this sub-forum it ain't Pete

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Not in this sub-forum it ain't Pete
    Yes, Pete, I can confirm that.

Thar be dragons down the path of ‘forgiveness is easier than permission’

Looks very interesting Rob, but got to catch up on the double jeopardy mission first.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Well it didn't go quite as planned but huge fun and as we seem to be making up the ending I might exercise that option too.

"He is wise who watches"

My 1917 Italian Front Mission is now posted in the AAR section of the forum

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...His-Own-Petard

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT DYM Mission 3- Knowledge is power - 19th Jan 1916 by F.O.Kyte
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-26-2019, 10:38
  2. B-17C/D of the 19th and 7th Bomb Groups 1/200 scale
    By miscmini in forum United States
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-06-2017, 08:06