Ares Games

Thread: No apology

Default No apology

I know we are not to be or say contentious political stuff however I make no apologies for the following:

Forget Brexit..... you know your country has gone down the pan when your wife tells you she asked a manager why she could no longer buy a poppy at work.

Answer: somebody made a complaint.

Enough said. 😒
    See you on the Dark Side......

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Someone complained about her workplace selling Rememberance Day poppies! Inconceivable! As long as one isn't forced to buy one, what's the issue? Heavens to Betsy

All the best,
    Matt

FFS that is worse than complaining the Natural History Museum is sexist because it has lots more male exhibits than females. So I am off to Africa to shoot some endangered female animals just to even things up. I will also look for some transgender dinosaurs whilst I am at it.... bloody snowflake generation

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Hopefully someone is making a complaint about how the CAN'T buy a poppy........

This is a bit different, I guess, than here in the States. I mean we have the same thing as you're talking about. But we also have people often complaining that they can't force others to say 'Merry Christmas' or decorate or things along those lines. Both sides have their extremes.

I know we are not to be or say contentious political stuff however I make no apologies for the following:

Forget Brexit..... you know your country has gone down the pan when your wife tells you she asked a manager why she could no longer buy a poppy at work.

Answer: somebody made a complaint.

Enough said. ��
    That really is the PC world gone completely insane. What a shame. Perhaps she could consider purchasing a few poppies elsewhere and decorating her desk with them

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Hopefully someone is making a complaint about how the CAN'T buy a poppy........
    As an Administrator of the site I could not possibly comment, so I will just "Quote" what a little bird whispered in my ear.
    Dave has a very good point. The boss should be inundated with complaints about not being able to buy a poppy, of whatever colour satisfies your own personal issues.

Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Get her the biggest feckin’ poppy you can find to wear to work, and sod the snowflakes. That’s after you make the local media aware of this ridiculous situation.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Clearly a "dumbass" (mis)manager!

I encounter similar crap in the NHS every so often - let's just say it doesn't get to stand!

Definitely a case for poppy inundation - get as many as possible into that workplace as soon as possible, then see if they can flush out the 'complainant'!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

So you can wear 'em but not buy them... Ring up the Legion and get someone selling them on the door mate !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Ok, help some of Americans, like me, who don't understand why a poppy is offensive. My understanding is that it is worn or displayed as a remembered for war veterans and others who sacrificed themselves. Heck, the state of Ohio has an entire poppy garden in a memorial to WWI just west of Columbus. On the 100th anniversary of WWI they were giving away packets of poppy seeds for people to grow their own. So I am confused on why the snowflakes are offended? Would they rather be speaking German and making Nazi Salutes?

A new movie is about to be released called 1917. Refer the "snowflakes" to that.

Well, obviously someone hasn't had it explained to them correctly.

I have attended Remembrance Ceremonies in Canada, and had hecklers shouting out that soldiers should stop glorifying war. They obviously don't get it at all.

Also, recently in Victoria, Canada, one of the city councillors put forth the idea that the Canadian Forces should be billed for the extra policing costs of holding the Remembrance Ceremony in that city, to save costs on public events. At the same time as he voted for councillors getting free working lunches. That particular councillor obviously doesn’t get it, either. The Canadian Forces attends Remembrance Ceremonies at the invitation of the cities/towns that hold them. The Canadian Forces doesn’t conduct them, nor organize them. I did note that the particular councillor didn’t suggest that sports teams and other organizations foot their extra policing costs, should they hold events in the city.

There are people out there that just don’t get it. When complaints are made by someone concerning Remembrance, the individual should be educated, not catered to.

Name:  poppy_25.png
Views: 280
Size:  27.9 KB
    Lest we forget—lest we forget!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I miss Remembrance Day in Canada.
    Down here Veterans Day is more about mattress sales than anything else.
    My daughter usually brings me a poppy to wear here in the US if she comes down for the weekend (she will be down this year).
    I buy several of the ones the Legion sells around Memorial Day, but they don't hold up to the Canajen ones.

hard times make good men.
    good men make easy times.
    easy times make weak men.
    weak men make hard times.
    rinse.
    repeat.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Ok, help some of Americans, like me, who don't understand why a poppy is offensive. My understanding is that it is worn or displayed as a remembered for war veterans and others who sacrificed themselves. Heck, the state of Ohio has an entire poppy garden in a memorial to WWI just west of Columbus. On the 100th anniversary of WWI they were giving away packets of poppy seeds for people to grow their own. So I am confused on why the snowflakes are offended? Would they rather be speaking German and making Nazi Salutes?
    There were Nazis in the WWI? Back than we had only Kraut and marsh music to offer.

Until yesterday I didn‘t know Rememberence Day, but after checking Wikipedia, there seems to be some kind of social pressure to wear a poppy on this day, sometimes. If that‘s true, THAT remembers me in on the atmosphere in the Third Reich, where you had to follow the mainstream to not make yourself suspicious. So I can understand why some people don’t want that thing on work. To call someone who doesn‘t want to follow a tradition „Snowflake“ sounds pejorative in my ears, also. This strengthens my impression, that the mentioned social pressure is really there.

Maybe we should stick with the forum rules and avoid political discussions again.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    hard times make good men.
    good men make easy times.
    easy times make weak men.
    weak men make hard times.
    rinse.
    repeat.
    Or: Good people show themselves in hard times, like bad people, too.

No one is pressured or forced to buy or wear a poppy. It is worn with pride by those who do in recognition for all who gave their lives in many conflicts around the world, not just World War 1 and 2.

The money raised provides financial, social and emotional support to veterans and members of the British Armed Forces, their families and dependants.

It is not worn to promote war, support of any conflict or any other non peaceful meaning. Many poppies are made by disabled veterans although in some countries they are made on a commercial basis.

The poppy idea was started in France

As this seems to be getting out of hand I am closing this thread.

Neil Bayly, proud to have served my country for 23 years, 235 days; man and boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Karo7 View Post
    There were Nazis in the WWI? Back than we had only Kraut and marsh music to offer.

Until yesterday I didn‘t know Rememberence Day, but after checking Wikipedia, there seems to be some kind of social pressure to wear a poppy on this day, sometimes. If that‘s true, THAT remembers me in on the atmosphere in the Third Reich, where you had to follow the mainstream to not make yourself suspicious. So I can understand why some people don’t want that thing on work. To call someone who doesn‘t want to follow a tradition „Snowflake“ sounds pejorative in my ears, also. This strengthens my impression, that the mentioned social pressure is really there.

Maybe we should stick with the forum rules and avoid political discussions again.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Similar Missions

1. My Apology !
    By richard m schwab in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-15-2012, 15:45