Ares Games

Thread: Heat Ray - Hitting multiple targets?

Default Heat Ray - Hitting multiple targets?

Hi all,

I am new to both Wings of Glory (1 game) and have just bought into Tripods & Triplanes and am hoping to bring it into the club.

I am currently going through the rules and my question is if the heat ray can hit multiple planes in the same way that the gas cloud does?

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

William, the rules state that the Heat-Ray hits the first target the 'beam'/range ruler encounters. There is no pass-through.

We discussed this last time we played, and we'd like to perhaps try some sort of house rule to allow for carry-through - the way it has been portrayed in film is awesome, but perhaps the rule is an attempt to not make the tripods too powerful.

I hope you enjoy the game with your group! We have a lot of fun with it

All the best,
    Matt

Hi Matt,

Ah sorry i have missed that although admittedly I haven't fully digested the rules yet.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

Looking forward to hearing of any testing you do with multiple targets for the heat ray Matt.

Have a look at this sticky William, it might help answer other questions that come up
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...artian-Tripods

"He is wise who watches"

You might house rule this possibility using Line of Sight rules.

If the Heat-ray squarely hits a plane, with the whole template crossing the base of the nearest target, then only the nearest target is hit, regardless of how many bases the template touches after the nearest.

If the Heat-ray template touches the nearest target's base, but the template also touches (or crosses) another base, there is the potential for damage to another target. Using Line of Sight, if the Heat-ray template is not obstructed by another base, but has a clear view to the other target, damage could be inflicted.

Using the below image from a playtest game at BottosCon 2017:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171105_103326_TemplateCrop.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	277197

In the game, the template clearly crosses over the nearest plane's base, but touches a plane at the end of the template (Red outlines). Current rules state that only the nearest plane takes damage.

Even with my modified rules, because the template completely crosses the nearest plane's base, the farther target still wouldn't take damage. However, if the planes were in the Green positions, they could both be considered damaged, as the template would still be in a Line of Sight to the farther target.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 10-22-2019 at 16:55.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I like the ideas you're putting forth here, Mike - the 'partial base vs. complete base' intersection makes good sense. Thanks for adding this to the mix - it will certainly be worth trying at our next game.

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    You might house rule this possibility using Line of Sigth rules.

If the Heat-ray squarely hits a plane, with the whole template crossing the base of the nearest target, then only the nearest target is hit, regardless of how many bases the template touches after the nearest.

If the Heat-ray template touches the nearest target's base, but the template also touches (or crosses) another base, there is the potential for damage to another target. Using Line of Sight, if the Heat-ray template is not obstructed by another base, but has a clear view to the other target, damage could be inflicted.

Using the below image from a playtest game at BottosCon 2017:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171105_103326_TemplateCrop.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	277197

In the game, the template clearly crosses over the nearest plane's base, but touches a plane at the end of the template (Red outlines). Current rules state that only the nearest plane takes damage.

Even with my modified rules, because the template completely crosses the nearest plane's base, the farther target still wouldn't take damage. However, if the planes were in the Green positions, they could both be considered damaged, as the template would still be in a Line of Sight to the farther target.
    Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    I like the ideas you're putting forth here, Mike - the 'partial base vs. complete base' intersection makes good sense. Thanks for adding this to the mix - it will certainly be worth trying at our next game.

All the best,
    Matt
    I hadn't even considered the possibility unitl now, but it does work for me. This could mess up play balance. However, getting the planes to cooperate and picking the right arc to fire the Heat-ray, I don't think it will come up too often. Use a standard range ruler to check Line of Sight on the template to ensure that there is a clear shot, as well?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    William, the rules state that the Heat-Ray hits the first target the 'beam'/range ruler encounters. There is no pass-through.

We discussed this last time we played, and we'd like to perhaps try some sort of house rule to allow for carry-through - the way it has been portrayed in film is awesome, but perhaps the rule is an attempt to not make the tripods too powerful.

I hope you enjoy the game with your group! We have a lot of fun with it

All the best,
    Matt
    A possible option for house ruling 'carry-through' could be in the instance that a nearer target is destroyed by a Heat-ray. Should the target be taken out, either by accumulated damage or an Explosion damage card, any other farther target could get hit, even though the template was originally blocked by the nearer target. In most instances, this should mean that the next farthest target would be at long range, but not always. In this instance, because the damage had to burn through a primary target, it should only cause long range damage.

But, now we are complicating things...
    Mike

Today at my club we played two large games for 5 players for around 8 hours straight. From what we experienced it seems that the heat rays are really quite rubbish. Firstly they are tough to pull off (guessing where the enemy will be /range) and when you hit a plane with one, you have a very good chance of it being a 0 damage card. 16 of deck X or Y are 0 damage cards.

Only twice in a game did the Tripods hit and do damage with their heat rays. Almost all damage was done by smoke. Seems a shame!

I am tempted to do a house rule of heat rays blasting through and hitting multiple targets. They just seem to weak otherwise.

Users Country Flag

Name
    D. Scott Stewart
    Sorties Flown

I've also found the heat rays to be...lacking. Considering the cooldown time and the high probability of no damage, they're a poor weapon, IMO. I like the house rules of multiple targets.

Similar Missions

1. Heat Ray template placement.
    By SeaJaySee in forum T&T: Rules Help
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-09-2019, 08:59
  2. MkIV Cuttlefish Heat Rays
    By flash in forum T&T: House Rules
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-06-2019, 03:20
  3. KY Wings of Glory Derby: Heat #1 & #2
    By Setarius in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 5