Ares Games

Thread: OTT DYM Mission 10-- March 12 1916---Double Jeopardy: zenlizard

Default OTT DYM Mission 10-- March 12 1916---Double Jeopardy: zenlizard

{Intro notes: I thought it was going to be a quickie-set the balloon on fire, get back, see if you can do anything about saving your own balloon, that should be it, right? Um, no. Another marathon. AA machineguns never came into play, so I never had to worry about standard shots vs the suggested mitigating damage system. I did use altitude, higher machinegun (vs fighters only), aim, disruption, an incendiary ammunition rules. Despite appearances, I did not use rockets-the use of the Nieuport 11 with them helped my keep track of who had the incendiary ammunition for the French. You will also note the lack of mentions of the incendiary ammunition-there are a lot of reasons that make that entirely realistic.}

12 Marz 1916 12 March 1916
    Irgendwo in Frankreich Somewhere in France

Liebe Eltern, Schwester Helga und der kleine Wolfgang:
    Ich war so froh zu hören, dass Helga zu Mutters Geburtstag nach Hause kommen konnte. Ich bin enttäuscht, dass ich nicht das Gleiche tun konnte, aber wir befinden uns mitten in einer großen Schlacht, wie sie wissen. Mein Geburtstagsgeschenk an Mutter muss die Nachricht von der Mission sein, die unsere Abteilung heute Nachmittag abgeschlossen hat.
    Beide Seiten haben in letzter Zeit viel Artillerie eingesetzt, und die Artillerie wird verschwendet, wenn sie das Ziel nicht trifft. Deshalb setzt jeder riesige Luftballons ein. Die Ballons tragen einen oder zwei Beobachter, um zu sehen, wo die Artilleriepatronen landen. Wie Sie sehen, sind diese Ballons wichtig, und natürlich sind sie auch stark verteidigt. Unsere Mission war es, einen der nahe gelegenen französischen Ballons zu zerstören, und als Herr Oberleutnant nach Freiwilligen fragte, war ich der Erste, der sich zu Wort meldete.

Dear Parents, Sister Helga, and little Wolfgang:
    I was so happy to hear that Helga could get leave to be home for Mother’s birthday. I am disappointed that I could not do the same, but we are in the middle of a major battle, as you know, so my birthday gift to Mother will have to be the news of the mission our Abteilung completed this afternoon.
    Both sides have been employing much artillery lately, and the artillery is wasted if it isn’t on-target. This is why everyone employs huge balloons; the balloons carry an observer or two, to see where the artillery shells land. As you can see, these balloons are important, so naturally, they are also heavily defended. Our mission was to destroy one of the nearby French balloons, and when Herr Oberleutnant asked for volunteers, I was the first to step forward.
    {Note: French defender, S/Lt Machin; French attackers S/Lt de Bonald, with incendiary ammo, and S/Lt Cordonnier; German attackers, Ltn Säugerjäger (Me), with incendiary ammo, Ltn Blauzugenskink; German defender Ltn Schildkröte}
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1. French defender.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	277117 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2. French attackers.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	223.6 KB 
ID:	277118

Name:	3. German attackers.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	244.7 KB 
ID:	277119 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4. German defender.jpg 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	277120

Wir haben einen neuen Pilot, Leutnant Gunter Blauzugenskink, und ein Teil meiner Arbeit bestand darin, zu sehen, wie er im Kampf abschneiden würde. Als wir uns auf den Weg zum französischen Ballon machten und ein Paar Nieuports erblickten, gab ich Gunter sofort ein Zeichen, dass sie versuchen sollten, ihren Angriff auf uns zu behindern, während ich den Ballon angriff. Er drehte sich sofort um, um die Verteidiger wie befohlen anzugreifen. Die Franzosen entdeckten ihn und wandten sich sofort ab. Vielleicht wollten sie ihn von mir wegziehen, oder sie dachten, wir wären ein zu gefährliches Ziel, da sie die Gelegenheit zur Überraschung versäumt hatten. Ich bin mir nicht sicher.
    Aber bald wurde klar, dass sie uns nicht abfangen wollten, sondern dieselbe Mission gegen einen unserer Ballons flogen. Das hat mich nicht beunruhigt: Ich wusste, dass hinter uns auf der Schutzpatrouille der Leutnant Wolfgang Schildkröte stand, der einen unserer berühmten Fokker flog. Und jetzt hatten Gunter und Wolfgang die Franzosen zwischen sich.

We have a new pilot, Leutnant Gunter Blauzugenskink, and part of my job was to see how he would perform in combat. So when, as we started for the French balloon, I saw a pair of Nieuports, I immediately signaled Gunter to attack them, while I attacked the balloon. He immediately turned to attack the defenders, as ordered. The French spotted him, and immediately turned away; perhaps they were trying to draw him away from me, or maybe they thought we were too dangerous a target, as they had lost an opportunity for surprise, I’m not sure.
    But soon it became clear that they were not trying to intercept us, they were flying the same mission against one of our balloons. This did not worry me: I knew that behind us on protection patrol was Leutnant Wolfgang Schildkröte, flying one of our famous Fokkers. And now, Gunter and Wolfgang had the French between them.

Name:	5. French turn.jpg 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	277121 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6. Blauzugenskink's response.jpg 
Size:	162.2 KB 
ID:	277122 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7. French against balloon.jpg 
Size:	207.7 KB 
ID:	277123

Name:	8. Blsk vs d Bon.jpg 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	277124

Als ich mich dem feindlichen Ballon näherte, sah ich einen dritten Verteidiger. Ich hatte Gunter jedoch bereits befohlen, die beiden anderen anzugreifen, und er war mit diesem Arbeits beschäftigt. Ich hatte keine andere Wahl, als meinen Angriff fortzusetzen. Ich war so abgelenkt, dass meine ersten Schüsse fehlschlugen. Ich sah jedoch, dass mein Feind weit genug entfernt war, um noch eine Weile weiter anzugreifen, bevor ich gezwungen war, mich mit ihm auseinanderzusetzen. Ich zielte vorsichtig und sah dann, wie meine Kugeln den Ballon in Brand setzten. Das waren meine einzigen Aufnahmen, die ich im Moment machen konnte, als ich mich umdrehen musste, um mich meinem Gegner zu stellen. Ich sah ihn einen Immelmann-Schwung machen, und dann standen wir uns gegenüber. Ich sah meine Kugeln seine Maschine beschädigen, während er mich vermisste. Wieder zielte ich vorsichtig und fügte meinem Gegner mehr Schaden zu, bevor meine Waffe klemmte. Ich flog eine Weile weg, um meine Waffe zu reparieren, dann tauchte ich und drehte mich halb um, um entweder auf meinen Gegner oder auf den Ballon zu zielen. Aber meine Hauptaufgabe war es, den Ballon zu zerstören, also musste ich riskieren, meinem Gegner einen Weitwinkelschuss zu geben, und dann tauchte ich unter seinem Flugzeug. Er feuerte kurz, hörte dann aber auf. Hat sich auch seine Waffe verklemmt? Das mag der Fall gewesen sein, denn ich hatte Zeit für einen weiteren Angriff auf den Ballon. Ich war erfreut zu sehen, dass meine nächsten Schüsse ein weiteres Feuer entfachten, und dann mehr Schmertzen am Ballon, als ich darauf tauchte. Inzwischen wusste ich, dass mein Gegner erkennen würde, dass er seine Pflicht zum Schutz des Ballons nicht erfüllt, also wandte ich mich von diesem Ziel ab und sah ihn über mir.

As I approached the enemy balloon, I saw a third defender. However, I had already ordered Gunter to attack the other two, and he was engaged with that job. I had no choice except to continue my attack. I was distracted enough that my first shots missed. However, I saw that my enemy was far enough away that I had time for a quick burst or two, before I would be forced to deal with him. I aimed carefully, and then saw that I had set the balloon on fire. Those were my only shots I could make for the moment, as I had to turn to face my opponent. I saw him do an Immelmann turn, and then we were face-to-face. I saw my bullets damage his machine, while he missed me. Again, I aimed carefully, and inflicted more damage on my opponent before my gun jammed. I flew away for a bit, so I could fix my gun, then dived and half-turned so I could get at either my opponent, or the balloon. But my main mission was to destroy the balloon, so I had to risk giving my opponent a wide-angle shot, before I dived under his airplane. He did fire briefly, but then stopped. Did his gun jam, as well? That may have been the case, for I had time for another attack on the balloon. I was pleased to see my next burst start another fire; and then, more damage to the balloon as I dove on it. By now, I knew that my opponent would realize that he was failing in his duty to protect the balloon, so I turned away from that target, and saw him above me.

Name:	9. Out of Range.jpg 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	277125 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10. I miss.jpg 
Size:	204.6 KB 
ID:	277126

{Note: close range, and +1 for aim}

Name:	11. Balloon on fire.jpg 
Size:	241.8 KB 
ID:	277127 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12. Turn against Machin.jpg 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	277128

Name:	13. Head-to-head.jpg 
Size:	241.9 KB 
ID:	277129 {Note: again close range, my shots are +1 for aim, Machin’s not, due to disruption}

Name:	14. Close head-to-head.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	224.9 KB 
ID:	277130

Name:	15. After Split-S.jpg 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	277131 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16. Machin jam.jpg 
Size:	239.7 KB 
ID:	277132

Name:	17. Underflight.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	277133 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18. Second fire.jpg 
Size:	175.0 KB 
ID:	277134

{Note: again a +1 for aim}

Name:	19. More shots.jpg 
Size:	186.4 KB 
ID:	277135 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20. Against Machin.jpg 
Size:	241.3 KB 
ID:	277137

In der Zwischenzeit waren, wie gesagt, die beiden anderen Franzosen, von denen ich dachte, sie wären da, um ihren Ballon zu verteidigen, geflogen, um unseren anzugreifen. Sie wurden schnell von Leutnante Schildkröte und Blauzugenskink getroffen. Beide erzielten Treffer mit ihren ersten Schüssen, aber die Franzosen waren mutig und setzten ihren Angriff trotzdem fort. Blauzugenskink zerstörte einen der Franzosen, kurz nachdem dieser unseren Ballon in Brand gesteckt hatte. Beide Leutnante gingen dann, um den anderen Franzosen zu jagen, und es sah aus, als würden sie kollidieren, als der Franzose auf sie zurückschoss. Sie bestreiten beide, dass es einen Kontakt zwischen ihren Flugzeugen gab. Der unternehmungslustige Kerl schaffte es, an ihnen vorbei zu schlüpfen und unseren Ballon erneut anzugreifen. Er kam sehr nahe und schoss gut, nur dass er den Ballon mit seinem Flugzeug nicht getroffen hatte.

While I was thus engaged, as I have said, the other two Frenchmen that I had thought were there to defend their balloon, had flown to attack ours. They were quickly met by Leutnante Schildkröte and Blauzugenskink. Both managed to score hits with their first bursts, but the French were brave, and continued their attack anyway. Blauzugenskink destroyed one of the Frenchmen just after the latter set our balloon on fire. Both of the Lieutenants then went to chase the other Frenchman, and it looked like they were going to collide when the Frenchman shot back at them. They both deny there was any contact between their aircraft. The enterprising fellow managed to slip past them, and then attack our balloon yet again. He got very close, and gave it another good burst, just missing hitting the balloon with his airplane.

Name:	21. First Burst.jpg 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	277138 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22. Attack on German Balloon.jpg 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	277139

{Note: Cardonnier has no shot at the balloon, due to gun jam}

Name:	23. Balloon fire.jpg 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	277140 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24. de Bonald down.jpg 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	277141

{Note: technically, a collision, but both C cards were zeros}

Name:	25. Collision and Cardonnier's shot.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	277142 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26. Cardonnier escape.jpg 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	277143

Name:	27. Closing on balloon.jpg 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	277144 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28. Balloon shot again.jpg 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	277145
    {Note: another +1 for aim}

Name:	29. Close range.jpg 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	277146 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30. Collision avoided.jpg 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	277147

Blauzugenskink und Schildkröte versuchten ihn zu jagen, aber sie konnten nur näher kommen, weil er sein Flugzeug noch einmal drehte, um den Ballon anzugreifen. Er flog gut genug, um ein erneutes Feuer von beiden zu vermeiden, während er den Ballon noch mehr beschädigte. Dann wandte er sich vom Ballon ab und schoss auf Schildkröte.

Blauzugenskink and Schildkröte tried to chase him, but they were only able to get closer because he turned his airplane to attack the balloon yet again. He flew well enough to avoid return fire from either of them, while he damaged the balloon even further. He then turned away from the balloon, and shot Schildkröte.
    {Note: In the right-hand pic, Shildkröte is out of range for altitude, while Cardonnier is out of Blauzugenskink’s arc.}

Name:	31. Cardonnier's Immelmann.jpg 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	277148 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32. Unanswered shot.jpg 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	277149

{Note: LR shot, as Schildkröte still hasn’t dived; Cardonnier has a shot due to higher machinegun rule}

Name:	33. Turtle shot.jpg 
Size:	185.3 KB 
ID:	277150

Ich hatte den Franzosen, der versuchte, seinen Ballon zu verteidigen, vorübergehend verloren, also drehte ich mich um und versuchte, denjenigen, der sich so gut gegen unseren Ballon geschlagen hatte, in die Falle zu locken. Dieser Kerl hatte anscheinend entschieden, dass die beste Verteidigung eine gute Straftat ist, und griff Schildkröte erneut an. Während Blauzugenskink einen weiten Bogen machte, um über den Ballon zu fliegen und auf die Flanke des Franzosen zu gelangen, schossen sowohl unser Gegner als auch Schildkröte aufeinander. Ich denke, dass sie sich beide so sehr auf ihre Schüsse konzentriert haben, dass sie nicht auf ihr Fliegen geachtet haben: Sie sind zusammengestoßen. Schildkröte verlor einen Flügel, während das Flugzeug des Franzosen komplett zerfiel. Die gute Nachricht ist, dass der Leutnant bei dem Sturz nur leicht verletzt wurde und bald wieder bei uns sein wird. Unmittelbar danach sah ich, wie unser eigener Ballon explodierte, genau das, was wir zu vermeiden versucht hatten. Ich wandte mich noch einmal dem ursprünglichen französischen Verteidiger zu, der versuchte, seinem Landsmann zu helfen. Als er die Kollision oder die Explosion des Ballons sah, wandte er sich wieder seinen Linien zu. Er hatte einen beträchtlichen Höhenvorteil, und ich konnte ihn nicht fangen, bevor er floh.

I had temporarily lost the Frenchman who was trying to defend his balloon, so I turned around to try and trap the one who was doing so well against our balloon. This fellow had apparently decided that the best defense is a good offense, so he attacked Schildkröte again. While Blauzugenskink made a wide turn to fly over the balloon and get on the Frenchman’s flank, both our opponent and Schildkröte had another go. I guess that they were both concentrating so much on their shooting that they weren’t paying attention to their flying: they collided. Schildkröte lost a wing, while the Frenchman’s aircraft came apart completely. The good news is, the Leutnant was only slightly injured in the crash, and will be back with us soon. Immediately after, I saw our own balloon finally explode, the very thing we had been trying to avoid. I turned once again to the original French defender, whom was trying to assist his countryman. When he saw the collision, or the balloon explode, though, he turned back toward his lines. He did have a considerable height advantage, and I was unable to catch him before he escaped.

Name:	34. Three on one.jpg 
Size:	177.8 KB 
ID:	277151 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35. Cardonnier vs Schildkroete.jpg 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	277152

Name:	36. Blau's overflight.jpg 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	277153 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37. C & S head to head.jpg 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	277154

{Note: Cardonnier gets explosion card, Shcildkröte gets 6 damage, enough to knock him down}

Name:	38. Collision.jpg 
Size:	231.8 KB 
ID:	277155 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39. Last pursuit.jpg 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	277156

{Note: No shot due to altitude difference}

Name:	40. lacking altitude.jpg 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	277157

Wie immer, meine Liebe zu euch allen, und lasst Onkel Ernst wissen, wie treu ich versuche, unser Heimatland zu verteidigen.

As always, my love to you all, and let Uncle Ernst know how faithfully I am trying to defend our homeland.
    Last edited by zenlizard; 10-21-2019 at 13:50.

Butcher’s bill & final thoughts:

de Bonald’s Nieuport 11:
    {Note: right-hand column at +1}

Name:	41. de Bonald damage.jpg 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	277158
    S/Lt Antoine de Bonard SD-ET 1 victory
    C & W roll 8-1 SD=7, Injured, skip 1d2, roll 4=skip 2;
    E & E roll 8-1 WIC, -1 BEL=6, in hiding, skip 1d2, roll 2 = skip 1
    Total skip 2 missions

Cordonnier’s Nieuport 11:
    {Note: bottom card result of collision}

Name:	42. Cordonnier damage.jpg 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	277159
    S/Lt Lucien Cordonnier COL-EXP 0 victories
    C & W roll 10-3 EXP=7, Injured, skip 1d2, roll 2=skip 1;
    E & E roll 7-1 WIC, -1 BEL=5, in hiding, skip 1d2, roll 1=skip 1
    Total skip 1 mission

Machin’s Nieuport 11:
    {Note: bottom row at +1}

Name:	43. Machin damage.jpg 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	277160
    S/Lt William Machin RTB 0 victories

French Balloon:
    {Note: right upper group of cards is at +1, bottom two rows are fire damage}

Name:	45. French balloon damage.jpg 
Size:	252.0 KB 
ID:	277161

Schildkröte’s Fokker E-III:
    {Note: right upper group of cards is at +1, bottom row is collision damage}

Name:	45. Schildkröte damage.jpg 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	277162
    Ltn Wolfgang Schildkröte SD-COL-FT 0 victories
    C & W roll 7-2 COL=5, Injured, skip 1d3, roll=4=skip 2;
    Total skip 2 missions

Blauzugenskink’s Halberstadt D-II:

Name:	46. Blauzugenskink damage.jpg 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	277165
    Ltn Gunter Blauzugenskink - RTB 1 victory

Säugerjäger’s Halberstadt D-II:
    {Note: bottom card at +1, for what it’s worth}

Name:	47. Säugerjäger damage.jpg 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	277163
    Ltn Leopold Säugerjäger RTB 1 victory

German balloon:
    {Note: right upper group of cards at +1, bottom two rows of cards fire damage}

Name:	48. German balloon damage.jpg 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	277164

Victory Points
    German:
    10 points for destroying balloon
    4 points for destroying 2 French aircraft
    14 total

French:
    10 points for destroying balloon
    2 points for destroying 1 German aircraft
    12 total

Very marginal German victory
    All in all, though, a well-balanced scenario.
    Last edited by flash; 10-22-2019 at 01:05. Reason: Tally correction

Onkel says:

Well, we lost our balloon but we blinded the Frenchy artillery and took a couple of victories ourselves so will have to be content with that. Victory by a small margin but still a victory & well worth celebration.

Ltn Gunther Blauzugenskink is awarded his pilots badge for his first victory

Tally correction - please don't combine the final crash results into the first bit of the Tally. That should just show what happened to the plane and pilot in the air or when it fell out of it ! ie: did it get shot down, how, where, was the pilot shot, did he get a victory etc, and it's from this the final crash result is then calculated. If you can conform to this it makes it soo much easier for me to check the math. so no WIC in that first bit, just WIA if applicable.

PM me a replacement for Wolfgang Schildkröte as he's out of the rest of this campaign.
    Last edited by flash; 10-22-2019 at 01:10.

Congratulations Sam - a fine performance indeed and another very entertaining letter home to the parents of young Leopold. He really is a devoted son and brother. I bet his family is very proud of him
    Good to know, too, that all of the pilots involved will be available for further action before the end of the current campaign, especially Herr Blauzugenskink (some skink that - saw a short Youtube video of one - nice markings).
    Rep inbound Sam and once again thanks for the bilingual story telling

Well played Sam, another close result for the records, a victory for the Eagles on this occasion and a victory that earns Blauzugenskink his pilots badge. A couple of guys out of it with injuries but they live to fight another day.
    Last edited by flash; 10-22-2019 at 01:16.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Hm, I think de Bonald & Schildkröte are both out for the duration of the campaign, due to injuries.
    But I did seem to roll lightly all around for the C & W checks all around.
    Thanks for the rep.

Nicely played Sam. Congrats on your new pilot in the mess.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Thumbs up

: Thumbsup: Well flown Sam.
    A narrow Victory but a victory none the less.
    Glad all the pilots survived.

A good result, with no POW or KIA, but just 2 missions skipped puts aircrews out for the count at this stage of the campaign.

Very similar outcomes are the norm in this one.
    Well done.

Nice AAR!

REP gun jammed

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-21-2019, 07:34
  2. BRF OTT DYM Mission 10-- March 12 1916---Double Jeopardy--gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 11-03-2019, 19:00
  3. AAR OTT-DYM Mission 10: Double Jeopardy - 12th March 1916 {Stumptonian}
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches