Ares Games

Thread: More underwater archaeology

Default More underwater archaeology

Wrecks of Kaga & Akagi, both sunk during the Battle of Midway have been found:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...und-in-pacific

The other day when I posted this they said it was the KAGA. This story says it is the KAGA and the AKAGI. I also heard that they think it might be the SOYRU. No matter that is a great find and I can't wait until it is shown on tv. Usually NATGEO channel.

Ah, what happened is that they found the Kaga about a week ago: and just yesterday or the day before, the Akagi. The claim is they have positive identification that the latter is the Akagi, not Soryu, by dimensions-the two were not sister ships, so the ID is likely firm. No matter, as you say, they are spectacular finds.

Thanks for posting that Sam. Very interesting. Reminds me of the USS Indianapolis wreck find at almost the same depth last year.

https://news.usni.org/2017/08/23/nav...ea-environment

The story I posted was that the same group found the St Lo. They must be moving around and the stories don't catch up with what is happening.

Thanks for telling us about this!

Cool. Watching the documentaries of expeditions like this I find fascinating. Lots of hard work and perseverance with a fair bit of luck.

I know a few people that were on the expedition that found the Titanic.

I'm just finishing reading "Shattered Sword", and it corrects and elaborates upon all that I thought I knew about the Battle of Midway.

To have these wrecks found and photographed, and, above all, honoured, adds so much closure to the story of so much heroism and sacrifice.

I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. Archaeology Brings to Light the Sad, Grim Reminders...
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-24-2013, 05:28
  2. Japanese underwater carrier
    By sirosis o liver in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-05-2012, 19:18
  3. Battlefield Archaeology in Belgium
    By Von Rotherham in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 11-07-2010, 09:21