Ares Games

Thread: what is a flight of aircraft

Default what is a flight of aircraft

ello all

historical request here.

how many planes consist a flight of aircraft? in my mind it's 3. Am I right or wrong. Discuss???

Hard to say. Depends on the context. Even one aircraft can be a flight, but normally two or more.

thanks peter

it's the or more that worries me. that leads to large collections of models

Three sounds right to me. They may have had more
    to cover break downs and such.

Depends which nation it is Iain, when during the war and availability of aircraft, pilots etc. The RFC/RAF squadrons could be 18 aircraft with three flights of 6 machines but they did operate in pairs and vics of three so it depends how far you want to take it.
    The Feldflugchef Order 929/16 dated 31/08/16 lays down the establishment of a Jagdstaffel as: 14 single seat fighter aircraft (later18).
    This is the ideal of course, I have seen mention elsewhere of more machines - 4 spares plus 3 more held at the Armee Flugpark, however, it's probably safe to say this was seldom met. Strength was more likely 12 on hand with 8 or 9 serviceable at any time due to maintenance, bad landings and combat damage. The pilot strength was probably an average of 11-12 and this was reduced by leaves and injuries to probably 8-9 at best.
    By early 1917 most Jagdstaffeln were operating at half strength due to problems in supply of aircraft and pilots. Realising this would prevent the formation of more Jagdstaffeln the Kogenluft issued an order to increase the establishment of Jagdstaffeln given above by a further four machines. Kogenluft 62015/17 dated 1st May 1917. MvR often flew with three or four other pilots on patrols so again make of that what you will.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

thanks for the information, will ponder upon it.

Basic RFC "ideal" was 3 Flights of 6 machines each; 'A', 'B' and 'C' Flights

Planes were sometimes "loaned" to other Flights of the same Squadron (or pilots "loaned out", whichever!) resulting in a given Serial Number machine being flown by five or six different pilots!

RAF establishment in 1918 saw many Flights increased to 8 planes, for 24 machines total strength.
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 10-27-2019 at 11:15.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Well you asked a 'historical' request. Can't help you there. But my two cents is, I often own three of each type. So my flights consist of a maximum of three planes. If more it is because another type joined the 'flight'.

think I'll stick to three. mrs camelcrew is commenting

I'm not sure it was consistent... Collishaw's "B" flight consisted of 5 aircraft.

Similar Missions

1. Matching aircraft types to manouevre/flight decks
    By Malibumax in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-28-2014, 08:07
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-03-2014, 00:01
  3. Aircraft numbers in a typical WW2 Italian Airforce Flight?
    By Dark Horse in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-25-2013, 18:43
  4. Aircraft flight instruments
    By Doug in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-11-2012, 04:01
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-16-2011, 02:52