Ares Games

Thread: how close is close?

Default how close is close?

Too close for comfort.

I discovered today that an SE5a's sight is set to converge (intersect lines of fire) the Lewis on the wing and the cowling Vickers at

50 YARDS!

Now that is close...

That said, the Vickers had its own separate sight, and both guns had separate triggers, so there was flexibility. Still it seems as though the designers had invading personal space as the objective!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Several aces noted they preferred closer still; most aircraft were pretty awful gun platforms at that stage, so point blank was considered ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Several aces noted they preferred closer still; most aircraft were pretty awful gun platforms at that stage, so point blank was considered ideal.
    I agree, most of the accounts I have come across that mention range make it sound frightenly close, but then again these were not exactly speed demons in the air. Most of the scouts had an average wingspan of 26ft so they were small targets, not easy to hit from longer ranges...still 50 yards seems WAY TOO CLOSE for my thin blood!

Amazing stuff when you consider that with today's Air to Air weaponry you can reach out and touch your enemy from beyond visual range... easily over 100 miles...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

It was the perhaps most "intimate" way of dogfighting... the bullets did quite the spraying. On some planes more than on others. Rotary fighters seemed to be rather bad, a Spad was much more stable due to its less vibrating engine. I can remember having read a report of a german Jasta which captured a Spad mentioning this.

When they told you to "aim for the pilot" they were not kidding... you would practically be close enough to see the color of his eyes!!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Or if you were good, close enough to see the back of his head, but definitely not his eyes....

Quote Originally Posted by Du doch nicht! View Post
    It was the perhaps most "intimate" way of dogfighting... the bullets did quite the spraying. On some planes more than on others. Rotary fighters seemed to be rather bad, a Spad was much more stable due to its less vibrating engine. I can remember having read a report of a german Jasta which captured a Spad mentioning this.
    There are many reports from both Aces & regular Pilots praising the SE5a as being both a very stable weapons platform & being able to take a great deal of punishment. Rather like the Hurricane of WW1.
    The Spad X111 also had a good reputation for both these traits.

The rule of the day was, as they say in wetwork, "Get in close, then you can't miss..."

In the period pictures I have seen, these guys were right on top of each other. Everything that I have read seems to state that 50 yards was the farthest out one should start firing. Many aces would be just about touching thier opponent when they opened up.

Zach

Well...it also makes sense when you consider that the amount of ammunition carried was pretty limited (by today's standards)...can't waste shots at long range on the hope that you get a lucky hit!

If you were flying a plane that was an unstable gun platform then it seems sensible to get in close to increase your chance of hitting your target.

Similar Missions

1. I need a close up photo of a Nieuport 17
    By Fokker Fan in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-10-2009, 15:28