Ares Games

View Poll Results: PLease indicate your preference for 2020 Annual Gathering

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Are you planning on attending the 2020 gathering?

17 73.91%
  • Vote for DONCASTER (Air Museum)

9 39.13%
  • Vote for COVENTRY (Air Museum)

0 0%
  • Vote for ANDY's HUGE HOUSE (Boston Lincs)

3 13.04%
  • I am happy to attend any venue (i.e. not fussed either way)

9 39.13%
  • I can ONLY attend if it is in DONCASTER

0 0%
  • I can ONLY attend if it is in COVENTRY

2 8.70%
  • I can only attend if it is at ANDYs

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FORUM ANNUAL GATHERING 2020 - THE VOTE

Default FORUM ANNUAL GATHERING 2020 - THE VOTE

Please find attached the vote / poll for next year's annual forum gathering.

As previously discussed we are looking at three options this year - Continuing in Doncaster Air Museum, moving to Coventry Air Museum or accepting Andy (Hawkhurt's) fantastic offer of his huge rooms.

The Poll will allow you to vote twice, but please use one vote to indicate your intention to attend, and the second to indicate your preference, please do not select two of the options - Thank you

Hopefully everything is self explantory

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Obviously I am selecting Doncaster as I can walk to the venue and sleep in my own bed - admittedly a selfish response but there you go...

My vote for Doncaster is because I'm an old dog and I know the tricks there. For a partially sighted person having everything close to hand and well known is a vast benefit.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I'm traveler in my hearth and I like the idea of visiting different place (Boston looks lovely). Anyway, I would be happy if I'll be able to go anywhere (trying to arrange a family holiday, so I can't say if I'll be able to go in general).

Prefer Coventry as it is closer and has different planes to look at, but voted ‘not fussed’. At least the ground crew know where the shopping is in Donnie.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I'll be attending wherever it is, 'coz it's such great fun!

I'm in the fortunate position of not bowing to any circumstances which would dictate the choice of one venue over another; Donnie is comfortably familiar, Coventry would be different, and Andy's would be VERY different!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Will be attending, its the law. Ha
    Happy to change if thats the will of the people but Donnie is comfortable and the staff are understanding to our needs. Might be a bit different at Coventry where things might be a bit "formal"
    Andy and Deadlys sounds cool too.
    Decisions decisions

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Obviously I voted for home though it will mean a bit of work for us. There are a lot of things around Boston for visiting and for the ladies that shop, we are about 35 miles from Grantham, Newark, Lincoln and King's Lynn. Sorry we didn't get to put any more photos up but we've been otherwise distracted (we lost Andy's Mum Friday morning to the big C). The room does look better than the attached picture as we have worked on it since this was taken. This just gives you an idea of the size of the main room.

Name:  20180415_175354.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  76.5 KB

Name:  20170723_184647.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  109.9 KB
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 10-22-2019 at 14:52.

OOPs. Gotta lay on your side to see 1st one - its to the left of where the 2nd photo is taken. I couldn't get the ones of the lounge and dining room to upload as these are also available for the games if you want them

Many thanks M, so sorry to hear about Andy’s mum.

I am planning on attending the UK Gather, and as I have to travel in any event, I will leave it up to the people closer to home to sort out where I end up visiting.

As it is now, I have tentative plans to visit Devon, Nottingham, Northumberland, as well as possibly doing some family history research in Wales and Scotland (we'll see how much time that might take, and edit that out of the itinerary). So, as anyone from the British Isles can tell, it really doesn't matter where the Gather ends up.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Sorry to hear about your sad times.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly M View Post
    Name:  20180415_175354.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  76.5 KB
    Really like the detail with Andy in mirror

There could be even possibility we can work for a while to help you maintain what you need. Twenty pairs of hands for even one hour can do miracles on the garden or elsewhere. Of course, not for our wise officers, but we, youngsters (sorry, Andrzej and Sven, you're there too!) can help.

How do we get more people to vote? This thread has gone quiet.

Pick a closing date, say by Vapnartak, York in Feb.

I would push for a revote with just the 3 venue options too.

Majority rule. Otherwise we'll miss vital booking dates at 2 of the 3 venues.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Agreed, closing date will be 31st DECEMBER, gives more time for hotel bookings etc.

How do we stand re getting Doncaster Air museum booked if all else falls through Chris.
    I think that is going to be a bit late for all sorts of bookings.
    Rob.

I’ll confirm Doncaster asap
    Just spoke to them, will confirm a date with Tracy or Alan on Tuesday
    Last edited by Hedeby; 11-09-2019 at 05:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Agreed, closing date will be 31st DECEMBER, gives more time for hotel bookings etc.
    Thats good as I have to arrange dog care , flights etc . Any later and it gets a bit uuuh

Only 16 peeps planning on going in 2020 seems a bit low

SO HAVE CONFIRMED DATES WITH DONCASTER MUSEUM FOR WEEKEND OF 18th/19th/20th September 2020.
    Obviously we can cancel if vote goes elsewhere, but we have a venue should we need it.

Thanks Chris.
    I will do the same in booking for The Premier Inn now we have the dates.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    If we judge by the last few years many confirmations do not come in until well into the New Year, I presume once people get their holiday patterns for work sorted out.
    Rob.

SO HAVE CONFIRMED DATES WITH DONCASTER MUSEUM FOR WEEKEND OF 18th/19th/20th September 2020.
    Obviously we can cancel if vote goes elsewhere, but we have a venue should we need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post

If you are looking at that weekend it’s going to be lower - I have tickets for the Duxford Battle of Britain air show on the Saturday, and as El Supremo insists on a marquee luncheon, reserved seats along the flight line and other extras as a condition for coming with (someone has to carry the cameras and tripods ) it will be mighty expensive to cancel it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    If you are looking at that weekend it’s going to be lower - I have tickets for the Duxford Battle of Britain air show on the Saturday, and as El Supremo insists on a marquee luncheon, reserved seats along the flight line and other extras as a condition for coming with (someone has to carry the cameras and tripods ) it will be mighty expensive to cancel it.
    That could be nasty.

Can we have the weekend after then?

Sounds good if we can avoid clashes of interest

18/19/20 is good for me, but if it's different, so be it, I' ll be there

As a relatively new member of the Aerodrome, I do not know much about how these weekends run and have only been able to find snippets of information on the forum so far. I may well be interested in attending but would need to know more before committing to it. Could someone post a confirmed date, estimated costs and a brief outline of the Annual Gathering's activities please? I assume from the poll that it will be held at Doncaster again this year.

I have spoken to the Air Museum and unfortunately the 18/19/20th of September is the only available weekend unless we slip right back to the end of October/ early November.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerkraut View Post
    As a relatively new member of the Aerodrome, I do not know much about how these weekends run and have only been able to find snippets of information on the forum so far. I may well be interested in attending but would need to know more before committing to it. Could someone post a confirmed date, estimated costs and a brief outline of the Annual Gathering's activities please? I assume from the poll that it will be held at Doncaster again this year.
    These weekends are a chance for forum members to get together outside of the restricted setting of the various shows and play the games we want to without having to cater to the general public. It is a fantastic opportunity to meet up with our friends from overseas as well, we have had players from France, Germany, Belgium, The Netherlands, Poland, Czechia, Italy, Romania, Spain and the USA at our events... apologies if I have missed anyone out. In addition to the games it’s a great excuse to have a few (or several) beers and have some friendly banter. As far as cost goes, the event has usually been between Ł5 and Ł10 which is just to cover room hire etc. Obviously those from further away would need hotels etc, but there are several inexpensive ones within a few hundred yards of the venues. We have always had a fantastic time... would be great if you could join us. If you need any further info drop me a PM

I have spoken to the Air Museum and unfortunately the 18/19/20th of September is the only available weekend unless we slip right back to the end of October/ early November.
    That would be difficult for me Chris as we have a lot of weekend commitments in November every year.
    Rob.

These weekends are a chance for forum members to get together outside of the restricted setting of the various shows and play the games we want to without having to cater to the general public. It is a fantastic opportunity to meet up with our friends from overseas as well, we have had players from France, Germany, Belgium, The Netherlands, Poland, Czechia, Italy, Romania, Spain and the USA at our events... apologies if I have missed anyone out. In addition to the games it’s a great excuse to have a few (or several) beers and have some friendly banter. As far as cost goes, the event has usually been between Ł5 and Ł10 which is just to cover room hire etc. Obviously those from further away would need hotels etc, but there are several inexpensive ones within a few hundred yards of the venues. We have always had a fantastic time... would be great if you could join us. If you need any further info drop me a PM
    Thanks for the info Chris. All sounds good. Will have to look at work/family commitments to see if it's possible.

Andy

Have a chat with Tim and Mike at the next flight club Andy, they both attend & will give you an idea of costs etc

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerkraut View Post
    Thanks for the info Chris. All sounds good. Will have to look at work/family commitments to see if it's possible.

Andy
    Family can be an ally - JohnBiggles's wife & daughters usually attend too. I have plan about...ehm...it's a secret and you never know what my almost-wife is reading on the Internet

Better hope she can't read between the lines then Daniel.
    I already have you sussed out my boy, and Mrs K is on the case!
    Rob.

So with the most sincere apologies to Steve (Guntruck) if we are at Doncaster this year it will be 18/19/20 September

Hmm, cold and rainy Doncaster, or hot and sunny Duxford surrounded by Spits and Hurries - tough call

Spits and Hurries have it methinks . As long as you post the photos of those low flypasts

Are the other two venues available on dates in September other than 18/19/20?

Good question David. I assume Andy may have some flexibility , done know about Coventry. I will check with Simon.

we have no problem with dates except the current one as we was also looking at Duxford

Default You remember that nice new big room at Doncaster you thought we could use...

From January's 'Flypast' news:

Oh bugger.....

The 'Cadet Hut' was a 'new' space, and not the only space for a gather at Doncaster?

PS: Museums are always short of display space. The Comox Air Force Museum has run out of places to display topics in the main building, and the Air Force hasn't stopped making history. Also, we are acquiring 'new to us' aircraft, as the Canadian Forces retires them, we are now having to dispose of, or transfer existing planes out of our air park, to make room.

I fully understand the museum wanting to use any space for year-round exhibits, instead of occasional conferences.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 12-08-2019 at 08:43.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

so, Doncaster 18/19/20 September. Definite or should I hold off before booking a room??

I'd book it anyway - you can always cancel for free, right up to the day before arrival IIRC.
    If you leave it too long, it'll fill up fast!

need a location address so I can book local hotel/room/shed/hedge

Central East booked, free cancellation up to 1pm on day of arrival.

Ditto.

Moi aussi!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 48
    Last Post: 10-20-2019, 12:36
  2. Doncaster UK Wing Annual Gathering 2016.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Doncaster 2016
    Replies: 230
    Last Post: 09-26-2016, 12:29
  3. National Annual Gathering Doncaster
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-08-2016, 09:14
  4. National Doncaster UK Wing Annual Gathering 2016.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: 04-11-2016, 14:20