Ares Games

Thread: Doncaster 2019, Saturday WGF Table Game #2 - Todesrennen im Himmel

Default Doncaster 2019, Saturday WGF Table Game #2 - Todesrennen im Himmel

Death Race in the Skies - Adlershof, June 1918

The Mission:

Teams of two Fokker DVIIs gather at Adlershof in June of 1918 to compete in an air race.

Each plane must take off from Adlershof Aerodrome, fly once around the course by turning around the outside of each of the two balloons, then return to the Aerodrome and land.

First plane back wins, but points are amassed by the TEAM, not the individual.
    Leaving your Wingman to be shot down is permissible, but the combined scores of both members of a rival team can eclipse your score and rob you of victory!

Shooting is only permitted if the firer is at level 2 or above (no strafing ground targets, or planes on the ground).

Obstacles (trees, buildings, hills, mountains) are marked with the altitude they obstruct - planes must fly HIGHER to clear them. Trees and buildings may be flown through at their designated altitude, but pilots draw a 'C' card for possible collision if they do!
    Hills and mountains auto-kill any pilot daft enough to take them on!

Clouds can disorient a pilot if a three-card turn begins with the aircraft in a cloud.

The Racers.........

Dan in Jasta 18 Red and White, with black/white tail
    Mike in Jasta 18 Red and White, with green/white tail
    Reg in Jasta 15 Blue, with white fuselage band
    Doug in Jasta15 Blue, with white snake
    Paul in Jasta 7 Black, with green/white fuselage band
    Andrzej in Jasta 7 Black, with red/white/yellow demon on fuselage sides

Right, enough of this..............let's see how it played out!

The course - around the two balloons and back; direction to be determined by card draw, after 'Grid' allocation.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A (1).jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	276468

The sleepy village of Adlershof, which has no idea what is about to hit it!

Name:	A (3).jpg 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	276469

The 'Grid', and the possible 4 teams which can participate in the race - aircraft placement is determined by random card draw; each plane starts on top of it's matching playing card.

Name:	A (4).jpg 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	276470

Overview..............

Name:	A (7).jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	276471

Under Starter's Orders................

And They're Off!

6 players signed up, so only three teams are in play.
    Everyone plays a stall, as the first part of the take-off sequence, except for Reg, who turns left and almost "total"s Mike before they even get airbourne!

Name:	A (10).jpg 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	276472

Most players accelerate with a straight, except for Reg and Andrzej, who each play a stall to start their take-off sequence

Name:	A (11).jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	276473

Four up, with Reg following and Andrzej slipping off the Aerodrome boundary (fortunately, there's no fence or hedge!).

Name:	A (12).jpg 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	276474

Everyone airbourne, and turning left (random card draw designated Clockwise racing).

Name:	A (14).jpg 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	276475

As the leading pack climb again, they reach Level 2, and shooting becomes permissible!

Name:	A (15).jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	276480

Andrzej and Paul are at different altitudes, so do not collide. Mike hammers away at Doug's blue bird ahead of him.

Name:	A (16).jpg 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	276479

Dan turns hard right to escape the pack; stung by Mike's firing, Doug Immelmanns to face him down!

Name:	A (19).jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	276482

First Blood! Doug's battered plane is hacked out of the sky by an onrushing Paul. Dan frantically climbs as a mountain looms before him, and Reg takes the lead around the longer (but lower) route.

Name:	A (20).jpg 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	276483

Dare-devil Dan bounces his wheels off the mountain side in the narrowest of narrow avoidances! Honourary "Lucky Pilot" skill to be awarded, I think!

Name:	A (21).jpg 
Size:	163.2 KB 
ID:	276484

Having climbed again, Mike turns to follow his Wingman, letting Reg go (since he is too low to be a viable target). The two Jasta 7 machines bring up the rear (though I'm told that was their plan all along......).

Name:	A (22).jpg 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	276485

Dan swerves left to avoid the first balloon, while Mike climbs hard to avoid the trees! Paul and Andrzej climb as well, but Reg puts his foot down and continues at a lower altitude.

Name:	A (25).jpg 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	276486

Dan climbs again, while Paul and Andy pursue Mike across the "shortcut".

Name:	A (26).jpg 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	276487
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 10-13-2019 at 17:18. Reason: incorrect photo
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

First Turn, and Back Straight..............

Dan rounds the balloon, while Mike suffers under the guns of Paul.

Name:	A (28).jpg 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	276488

Doug restarts in his team's spare (he can no longer score points for himself, but can disrupt others if he can catch them!)

Name:	A (29).jpg 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	276489

Reg starts in a cloud, and has his chosen Right Turn replaced by a random card of the same speed; in this case a Left Sideslip!
    (after later discussion, it transpired that a communication failure on my part as Umpire incorrectly assigned this card - Reg took it like the Gentleman he is , and we played on)

Name:	A (30).jpg 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	276490

Doug has a lot of catching up to do!

Name:	A (32).jpg 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	276491

Reg buzzes the farm, while Andrzej misjudges his turn and passes on the wrong side of the balloon!

Name:	A (33).jpg 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	276492

Dan climbs yet again, remaining safe from Paul's guns, while Andrzej, facing a possible disqualification, must rethink his options............

Name:	A (34).jpg 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	276493

Andrzej has a plan.......

Name:	<acronym title=AA (1).jpg  Views: 89  Size: 129.1 KB  ID: 276494" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Mike slips behind Paul

Name:	<acronym title=AA (2).jpg  Views: 90  Size: 124.2 KB  ID: 276495" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Andrzej performs an Immelmann to stay legal in the race

Name:	<acronym title=AA (3).jpg  Views: 87  Size: 97.1 KB  ID: 276496" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Dan climbs yet again! Paul leads Mike towards cloud cover.

Name:	<acronym title=AA (5).jpg  Views: 88  Size: 106.0 KB  ID: 276498" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Paul's cloud ploy foils Mike, and Doug hops over the hump of the hill to rejoin the action..............
    Speaking of action, Andrzej's reversal presents him with a target in Reg!

Name:	<acronym title=AA (6).jpg  Views: 88  Size: 147.9 KB  ID: 276499" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Andrzej sweeps round behind Reg, blasting away!

Name:	<acronym title=AA (8).jpg  Views: 89  Size: 111.0 KB  ID: 276500" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Paul and Mike tussle for position

Name:	<acronym title=AA (11).jpg  Views: 88  Size: 102.3 KB  ID: 276502" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

All six racers thunder along the back straight!

Name:	<acronym title=AA (14).jpg  Views: 89  Size: 105.6 KB  ID: 276503" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

High above the duelling pair, Dan rounds the second balloon.

Name:	<acronym title=AA (15).jpg  Views: 89  Size: 116.7 KB  ID: 276504" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Andrzej slips through the cloud and draws level with Reg.

Name:	<acronym title=AA (16).jpg  Views: 87  Size: 114.3 KB  ID: 276505" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 10-13-2019 at 18:03.

Final Turn, and Home Stretch............

Dan commences an overdive. No, Andrzej hasn't crashed - his plane wouldn't stand on the hill edge!

Name:	<acronym title=AA (19).jpg  Views: 87  Size: 124.3 KB  ID: 276506" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The overdiving Dan just avoids smashing into Paul from above! Mike takes a much wider turn around the balloon.

Name:	<acronym title=AA (20).jpg  Views: 87  Size: 138.8 KB  ID: 276507" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Andrzej's bullets find their mark.............................

Name:	<acronym title=AA (22).jpg  Views: 87  Size: 168.4 KB  ID: 276508" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

.....................with Doug too far away to aid his teammate.

Name:	<acronym title=AA (24).jpg  Views: 87  Size: 121.2 KB  ID: 276509" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Reg is the second pilot down. Blue Team is out of the Race!

Name:	<acronym title=AA (25).jpg  Views: 86  Size: 146.0 KB  ID: 276510" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Unlucky Reg! A damaged plane with a deceased pilot - this is why they call it a Death Race!

Name:	<acronym title=AA (27).jpg  Views: 87  Size: 156.0 KB  ID: 276511" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Dan continues overdiving past Paul, who is felled by Mike with the exact same two-pilot-hits scenario as Reg was!

Name:	<acronym title=AA (29).jpg  Views: 87  Size: 141.4 KB  ID: 276512" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Paul's pilot-less machine plummets into the earth!

Name:	<acronym title=AA (31).jpg  Views: 87  Size: 127.7 KB  ID: 276513" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Dan and Mike zoom onward - can anyone stop team Red & White from scoring a double?

Name:	<acronym title=AA (33).jpg  Views: 88  Size: 125.7 KB  ID: 276514" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Andrzej cuts through beneath the balloon, whilst both Red & White machines overdive closer to the ground, and possible victory.

Name:	<acronym title=AA (35).jpg  Views: 87  Size: 140.7 KB  ID: 276515" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Surely they can't be caught - can they?

Name:	<acronym title=AA (36).jpg  Views: 87  Size: 136.1 KB  ID: 276516" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Dan approaches ground level, with Mike just a little higher.

Name:	<acronym title=AA (39).jpg  Views: 87  Size: 119.0 KB  ID: 276517" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Almost there!

Name:	<acronym title=AA (41).jpg  Views: 87  Size: 153.6 KB  ID: 276518" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Chasing hard!

Name:	<acronym title=AA (44).jpg  Views: 88  Size: 132.7 KB  ID: 276519" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The four remaining racers strung out along the home stretch.

Name:	<acronym title=AA (47).jpg  Views: 88  Size: 137.5 KB  ID: 276520" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Dan touches down - good job!

Name:	<acronym title=AA (50).jpg  Views: 87  Size: 121.9 KB  ID: 276521" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 10-13-2019 at 18:37.

We Have A Winner!

Mike swoops low over the countryside.

Name:	<acronym title=AA (51).jpg  Views: 88  Size: 113.8 KB  ID: 276522" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Andrzej dives, but can't catch Mike.

Name:	<acronym title=AA (52).jpg  Views: 87  Size: 118.7 KB  ID: 276523" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Doug passes beneath the balloon, but it's a forlorn chase.

Name:	<acronym title=AA (53).jpg  Views: 87  Size: 143.6 KB  ID: 276524" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Dan taxi's across Adlershof field - victory is almost within his grasp!

Name:	<acronym title=AA (55).jpg  Views: 87  Size: 125.7 KB  ID: 276525" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Mike attempts to land in open fields, but onlookers wave him off - whatever was he thinking?

Name:	<acronym title=AA (56).jpg  Views: 88  Size: 141.4 KB  ID: 276526" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Andrzej can't shoot Mike down now, so he banks away, lining up an approach to his own 'Grid' start point.

Name:	<acronym title=AA (57).jpg  Views: 87  Size: 130.9 KB  ID: 276527" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Doug still heading for home.

Name:	<acronym title=AA (58).jpg  Views: 88  Size: 139.7 KB  ID: 276528" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Dan is SO CLOSE now!

Name:	<acronym title=AA (60).jpg  Views: 87  Size: 166.2 KB  ID: 276529" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

VICTORY!!! If I'd had a chequered flag, I'd be waving it now!

Name:	<acronym title=AA (61).jpg  Views: 85  Size: 164.8 KB  ID: 276544" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Race is on for second place

Name:	<acronym title=AA (63).jpg  Views: 85  Size: 102.2 KB  ID: 276545" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Mike's start point is on the far side of the landing field, so Andrzej and he are almost neck and neck!

Name:	<acronym title=AA (65).jpg  Views: 87  Size: 106.0 KB  ID: 276546" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Mike approaches the field, but plays an illegal card (two successive "steeps"!) - he has a choice; accept an 'A' damage card and the replacement of his landing dive with a straight, which will mean going around again, circling the field for a later attempt; or forcing his kite down now, risking a 'C' damage card instead............
    Ever the Dare-devil, he chooses the latter................

Name:	<acronym title=AA (67).jpg  Views: 84  Size: 90.1 KB  ID: 276551" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

..................and "stacks it"! Boom-carding himself into the grass strip, and losing second place to Andrzej................

Name:	<acronym title=AA (69).jpg  Views: 85  Size: 145.7 KB  ID: 276547" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

................who lands without incident, to claim Second Place.................

Name:	<acronym title=AA (70).jpg  Views: 85  Size: 142.3 KB  ID: 276548" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

..............but has landed too fast, and ploughs into one of the Aerodrome hangars!

Name:	<acronym title=AA (71).jpg  Views: 84  Size: 141.6 KB  ID: 276549" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Race now over, Doug called the game there (so didn't have to try a landing of his own!)

Name:	<acronym title=AA (72).jpg  Views: 84  Size: 155.1 KB  ID: 276550" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

RESULTS

1st place - Dan
    2nd place - Andrzej
    3rd place - Mike
    4th place - Paul
    5th place - Reg
    6th place - Doug

but they're all winners in my book!

Team Jasta 18 won, with team Jasta 7 runners-up.

Many thanks to all of them for trying out my little work-in-progress.

I'll iron out the remaining wrinkles, and hope to run this again some time.

Cheers All!
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 10-14-2019 at 01:21.

You know who I was rooting for!

Beautiful planes, beautiful scenery and a fantastic idea.
    Well done Tim and pilots!

Thanks, mate - glad you enjoyed it!
    Especially with which planes came out on top...…………………..

Default Congrats

Even coming 5th I regard as an achievement of the highest order. Brilliant game to play and an even more brilliant AAR. Almost like playing it again! Rep required I think.

Many thanks for that, old chap!

I aim to be running it again in the future - there will always be a place for you!

What a wild ride! And a very entertaining AAR.

Thanks, Sam!

It was a lot of fun to perform.

Double thanks for the REP!

I can see that, or a version of it, being given a run out at Flight Club Tim

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I can see that, or a version of it, being given a run out at Flight Club Tim
    <<Cowboy, from "Kelly's Heroes">> "Well, that's what we was figured on doin'!"

Nice Game!

Thanks, Daniel!

And thanks for the Rep!

Really, really enjoyed that one Tim - certainly challenging trying to work as a team - good job my flight leader knew what he was doing Thanks to all for a great tussle and to Tim for providing the fun in the first place. Best game of the weekend, from a mix of great games, so far as I'm concerned REP inbound

Another great AAR from Doncaster Tim!

Rep was already given.

Great game, unfortunatley I was busy with reorganizing a shattered French Fleet at La Rochelle.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Generous words, Mike - thanks for that, and for the Rep!

Glad you enjoyed the AAR, Sven!

In the best BSG tradition "all this has happened before, and will happen again...…." - I aim to run it again in future meets.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Another great AAR from Doncaster Tim!

Rep was already given.

Great game, unfortunatley I was busy with reorganizing a shattered French Fleet at La Rochelle.
    La Rochelle! What a glorious town of which I have very fond memories.

I like the idea of team racing! Nice pictures! I might have to try teams in my gun-less air racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    I like the idea of team racing! Nice pictures! I might have to try teams in my gun-less air racing.
    I based it (loosely!) on Formula 1, with teams of two cars (planes) and the winner being determined by the Team (Constructors' Championship) with the highest total score.
    Another Race idea I had was a kind of 'Cycling Pursuit', with planes starting airbourne at set positions around the circuit, the winner being determined by the first plane to gain a base overlap on his opposite number.................naturally, such a game could run for an extended duration, with multiple circuits completed, before generating a result! The advantage of this is the capacity of the circuit to accept a considerable number of racers, spaced evenly around the course.

Please post pictures of any Team races you try out.

Thanks for the Rep!

FANTASTIC that looks great Tim, some brilliant photos of the event and an exciting commentary, very nicely done. The planes of course look superb.

It's interesting that landing should be so hard for an experienced pilot, after all he must land after each flight

Great idea, from concept to execution.

Thanks for the kind praise, John, and for the Rep!

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

It's interesting that landing should be so hard for an experienced pilot, after all he must land after each flight
    So true!
    Still, on purely experience-based gameplay, how many of us have actually "landed" a model, and how many times? I personally have only ever "landed" twice...……………….crashes, well, I've had MYRIADS of those!

Great scenario and exciting report. Got to try this one on our side of the pond. Excellent !

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-09-2017, 23:48
  2. Doncaster 2017 - Through the Helmut-cam; Saturday, Game #2 "Aerodrome Ambush"
    By Flying Helmut in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-02-2017, 06:10
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-02-2017, 04:46
  4. Replies: 90
    Last Post: 09-30-2014, 12:25
  5. Replies: 90
    Last Post: 09-30-2014, 12:25